Revvys

Washing their Wounds

Vice's house was quiet this time of day. During the morning hours, if you didn't already know that the massive tree was someone's home, you likely wouldn't recognize it as such. There was no smoke from the little chimney in the ground that vented the woodstove in the kitchen beneath, and no sounds of movement from inside the huge tree. Even the animals that tended to wander closer to the tree when Vice was up and about weren't present. It wasn't until the sun began to set that there was a soft sound under the tree - a quiet grumble, then one of those mumble-whines that dogs make when they yawn. Korben had woken up, and got up from his bed in the living room to shake out his fur before plodding up the stairs to Vice's bedroom. He nosed the door open, then wandered over to Vice's bed (really just an especially large cushion piled with blankets and pillows), before flopping down on top of his master with a soft whuff of air.
Vice let out a quiet grunt of protest, but managed to fumble for one of the nearby pillows and pull it over his face. "Ugh... Korben... ten more minutes..." He mumbled thickly through his half-sleep. It wasn't like they had anything they particularly needed to do tonight.... he could sleep in at least to moonrise...

@Witches Brew @Opaquely Translucent

Vice's peaceful rest was about to be interrupted however by a few firm knocks to his front door that rung throughout his domicile. Arturo stood outside his front door, looking more worse for the wear than he had the last time he was here. He had some decent burns he could feel on his back and while the wound on his wrist had mostly stopped bleeding at this point, he could still see the white of the bone when he looked at it, so that was going to have to be dealt with; he could also feel that he'd agitated his ribs once more considering they weren't fully healed from his last encounter, but they didn't feel awful so he discounted that for now. If he was being honest, he was mentally preparing himself for the scolding he was about to get more than anything; pain he could endure in any measure, but he still hadn't gotten used to someone chewing his ear off about getting injured.

@Revvys & @Witches Brew

"Buff! BOOF!!! BOOWOOWOOWOOOWOOWOOOF!!!!" As soon as there was a knock Korben was immediately barking his fool head off - and now Vice knew for sure he wasn't getting any more sleep. "Auuughh.... Gods be damn-OOF." Korben had jumped up and landed a massive paw directly on Vice's stomach, knocking the wind out of him and making him curl up in pain. "Hahhffffffff-- Korben!! Gff... Gods, go downstairs and keep them busy...!" He gasped, while struggling out from under Korben's paw. Korben seemed oblivious to his master's discomfort, but as soon as he was given permission he bounded out of the room and down the stairs, leaving Vice some time to get properly dressed before having to deal with company.
Arturo would likely be able to hear the scrabbling of giant paws on wooded stairs as Korben bolted up to the door, and grabbed a rope handle that Vice had made just for him, so he could answer the door too. And as soon as he'd opened the door he was doubly happy because it was his BESTEST FRIEND! He greeted Arturo with a big, slobbery lick on his face, and looked like he was about to pounce on the man... when the pup suddenly seemed to realize something was wrong. He tasted blood. He made a grumbling whining sound that almost seemed like a question, cocking his shaggy head to the side and backing up a bit to give Arturo some room. Oh no! Friend was hurt!

Arturo, entirely undaunted by the massive beast that practically clambered into him, didn't so much as move an inch, nor did he seem to react with any sort of pained response. The half-elf simply brought his good hand down so he could pat the large dog on the top of his head and ruffled his fur a little with a look of genuine affection on his face. "Ah, thank you for your assistance, Korben." He figured that Vice had sent his companion down to fetch him while he prepared other things, so he gave Korben a grateful nod as he accepted his invitation to enter and moved further in until he found some sort of seat on which he could plant himself. Vice's home still had that comforting feeling to it he had felt before and Arturo couldn't help but to admit to himself that he had in some ways missed being here, even if he wasn't happy to bring a problem to the door of a friend.

The best he could do now was simply sit here in silence with his injured hand resting across his lap while he other continued to pet Korben once the dog was within arms reach of him again. "Your master is going to be awfully sore with me, I'm afraid." he said solemnly to his canine companion, "You may wish to brace your ears, he may say things not meant for the hearing of one as pure as you."

@Revvys & @Witches Brew

Edited by Opaquely Translucent

Korben followed Arturo down into the house, and sat down next to him while carefully sniffing at his wounds and giving occasional sympathetic whimpers.

After a few minute Vice came down the stairs that led to the upper floors of the tree, finishing with the last button on his vest as he went. "All right, now what is so important that someone had to traipse all the way out... here..." By then he'd actually gotten a look at who it was sitting in his living room, and he paused for a full second before stomping the rest of the way down the stairs and across the room. "What in ALL THE HELLS!?" He barked. "There is no way whatsoever that your ribs are even healed!! And what have you done now...!?" He crouched down to where Arturo was sitting to inspect him more closely. "Gods! If you hadn't come to me that hand might be a loss... and are these burns!? What have you been getting your fool self into now!?" He was supposed to be taking it easy while he healed damn it!

There was the shouting and the chewing off of his ears. Arturo didn't even flinch when Vice raised his voice, nor did he make any sort of movement as he was inspected unless he was specifically instructed to for the purposes of making Vice's job easier. "I was on a daily patrol when I was approached by a child. He informed me that he was being accosted by strange beasts and after I was joined by a woman archer who sent the boy away, we were set upon by two lizardfolk. One was a capable fighter, the other was a spellcaster of some kind. I lost track of the archer, but I believe her to be injured as well but I could not search with these injuries without making them worse and if I had done that, I believe your yelling would be louder right now."

His words were succinct and to the point, offering no excuse for his action only explaining the motive behind them. "Once we are done here, I will begin my search for the woman and bring her here. I do not wish for a warrior of her standing and a trusted ally such as her to bear potentially life altering wounds." he said, regretting even now that he hadn't managed to get the woman's name to attach it to her deeds.

@Revvys & @Witches Brew

"Like hell you will." Vice growled. "Korben! Job." Korben's ears pricked up at his name being said, and he stood up and wagged his tail slowly. "There is an elf woman in the woods somewhere, hurt. Find her and bring her here. Go!" In spite of what really ought to have been far too complicated a command for a dog to understand, Korben gave a soft 'boof' of assent before turning and darting up the stairs and out the door into the woods.

"You stay put." Vice snapped at Arturo, before heading over to his kitchen cabinets to start pulling out bandages and salves and a splint for his hand. "Gods be damned... have you even been keeping those ribs bound properly? Likely not..." He huffed under his breath while he gathered up his supplies and brought them over to where Arturo sat. Though once he was properly situated next to him his countenance did soften very slightly. "... I'll help with the shirt." Taking off a shirt with one hand and a burnt back would be painful on his own.

Mythandriel stood alone, in the lands where the forests met the swamps, her hand clutching at her chest. She hadn’t moved since her beloved left her standing there, his departing words in orcish lingering, blowing soft kisses on her earlobes. However, it was something else that lingered there too. His lips, quickly forming silent words to her, and the regret dripping from each word and action that he performed stayed with her. And she feared that if she left, he would be leaving her all alone once again, and she’d once more have to succumb to loneliness and heartbreak. 

She couldn’t tell anyone about this, not even Dale or Sabine. She wouldn’t have all of Coth marching after her beloved, she remembered what had happened to Viscerex after he had punched The Bald one. She had to protect him. Eventually, she sent Dorian home, she who protested after what she had witnessed, carried on with her mothers wish, and left the elf there, staring off into the marsh, waiting. 

The pain of her wounds soon got to her, and standing became unbearable. But she stood, she stood until the pain made her collapse in the moss, her head narrowly missing a log. She didn’t try to get up. Zan was going to meet her back here tonight. He was coming, he was coming back, and she wouldn’t dare miss his return. 

@Opaquely Translucent @Revvys

Huh...useful. The more he learned about Korben, the less he believed that he was actually just a very large dog. It was either that or Vice really was a Ranger and Korben was his animal companion; he had heard tales of the feats such animals were capable of when lead by men of the wilds and Vice did seem to enjoy his time out in nature enough for this to be plausible. That or he was a Druid, which was also very possible. He pondered this silently for a few minutes as Vice finished up his inspections and moved away, only to come back for him to start with his treatment. "I have been, I've followed every instruction you gave me." he said simply and as he allowed Vice to help him get his shirt off, his friend would see that, in fact, his ribs were very much still bound and in the same exact manner that Vice had shown him.

"I cannot understand your anger." he said thoughtfully as Vice began to do whatever it was that he needed to do in this situation, Arturo did not know what would come next for he wasn't medically inclined, "I feel like in the same scenario, you would have fought to defend this place as well and ultimately these injuries are not fatal and bring coin to your purse. So what troubles you so?" His voice carried a very earnest curiosity as he stared at the ceiling of Vice's home, his eyes taking in the whole of the craftsmanship that had gone into the construction of this place. He knew that Vice was upset with him, he knew that would be the case before he had even set foot on the man's property...but even with that understanding, he couldn't grasp why. Hopefully, his friend would enlighten him.

@Revvys & @Witches Brew

Vice huffed slightly at Arturo's defense - but he had to concede that his ribs were at least properly bound still. So there was at least that. The first thing to tend to was Arturo's wrist - he'd likely had a few minor tendons severed, at least. The cut was certainly deep enough. He selected a jar of something that looked rather like green cement and started packing it into the wound - likely it wouldn't exactly feel good, but it would hurt a great deal less than one might expect.

However, when Arturo asked his question, Vice pause for a brief moment before returning to his work, finding another sort of paste to spread over the outside of the wound. ".... I..." If he was being honest, he hadn't exactly taken the time to examine the reasoning behind his aggravation. And doing so now honestly wasn't exactly a comfortable thing for him... but once again, Arturo was just so damned earnest. It would seem wrong not to give him an answer. "... I... dislike the idea of your being injured at all. Especially when you have not had time to heal properly from the last wound." He replied slowly, sounding very much like he was working it out himself as much as Arturo was. "... you helped me... when you did not have to... so I would rather see you healthy than having to spend your coin on my services." That seemed... mostly right...

--

Out in the woods, Korben had spent a good while following Arturo's scent. Vice had told him to do that first, and then there should be a new scent that would bring him to the hurt lady. Okay, he hadn't said it out loud, but it wasn't like Korben understood much actual speech outside of his name and a few common commands. Most of Vice's verbal direction to him was just for show. Once he found the site of the battle though, he picked up the scent of another elf, and then he was zipping off back to the woods after it. Ladies smelled different! This was the lady elf!

It wasn't long before he found his quarry - collapsed on a patch of moss almost in the swamp. And his master had been right! She was hurt too! Korben made a mournful sound before snuffling at the lady's face. She had to be really hurt if she was laying so close to the swamp! The swamp smelled gross! No one wanted to sleep in the swamp!

Mythandriel was content to just lay there in peace, if not for the stinging pain on her feet, legs, and arms. Thankfully, the cuts she had were small, and they were more like scrapes than cuts. Falling out of trees was not her favorite hobby, however it was much better than fighting Lizardfolk. 

She shut her eyes, perhaps a nap would lessen the hurt she felt. She was close to falling asleep when she heard something. It wasn’t soft, like a whine, and it sounded mournful, like something had upset it. Then, Myth let out a yelp as a large wet nose suddenly pressed against her face, and her arms instantly raised themselves to cover it from whatever had found her. She opened her eyes slowly, scared that some beast had come to devour her. However, as she opened her eyes, she was surprised to see a massive dog standing over her, peering down at her with sad eyes. Tamlen had beautiful eyes like his too, and the thought of her pup tugged at her heart. Myth lay there still, but she reached forward to stroke the massive baby. 

“Hello there, who might you be? Are you lost?” She rasped, her fingers dragging through his fur. 

@Revvys @Opaquely Translucent

"Hmm..." Arturo said nothing while he was tended to and thankfully for Vice, he didn't so much as even flinch when the green mixture was packed into his open wound; for how annoyed the doctor seemed to be with him, he had to admit that Arturo was likely one of the easiest patients he'd ever worked on considering how still he could be. For a few minutes, it was almost as if he had mentally checked out as he devoted himself to mulling over the answer Vice had given him. It was a great deal of time to spend on an answer that was so simple, but Arturo felt that there was weight behind his words that needed a respectful amount of consideration and so, out of courtesy, he was absolutely willing to give that consideration.

All the while he would make small noises as he thought, a little "ah" here, a muttered "I see" here, but never above the sound of a whisper as if even unconsciously he was being mindful of the delicate nature of Vice's work, but he did eventually seem to reach a conclusion as life flickered back into his eyes and he properly fixed his gaze on his friend once more. "I understand. You feel the same about me as I do you." he said in a matter of fact tone and offered no further input on the subject. He had considered Vice a friend and trusted ally since they fought side by side in the tavern that night, but he knew and respected the fact that Vice might need more time to think about adding him to the list of company he kept. He had to admit he felt a certain amount of happiness to know he was counted among the man's friends.

"I apologize for worrying you. I cannot promise I will remain uninjured but I can promise to make all attempts to remain as healthy as possible. Is that a fair compromise?" he asked, his tone reflecting his genuine desire to improve himself for the sake of Vice's mental health.

@Revvys & @Witches Brew 

Vice blinked in surprise at Arturo's very frank comment, and again paused in his work, apparently in slight shock. But after a moment he just grumbled something that sounded like an affirmative under his breath before turning to grab some more medicines and bandages. "... turn around, I need to work on those burns." He mumbled - and seemed to be trying very hard not to make eye contact with the other man.

--

Korben was happy for the pets, his tail beginning to wag, and for a second he considered laying down for snuggles... but he couldn't get distracted! His master gave him a job and he had to do a good job! So to that end, he took hold of the edge of Myth's shirt with his teeth and started tugging on it. Not hard enough to rip the garment, but still quite insistently. She had to get up!

Mythandriel smiled, this pup reminded her of Tamlen, who had been home alone all day by himself, who knows what trouble the pup got into while she was away. The giant dog wagged his tail, but he seemed focused on something, and his teeth gently grabbed hold of he blouse, and tugged. Myth looked at the dog, confused, and she considered pushing him away so that she would be left alone, but she couldn’t do that to him, he was so sweet and so gentle. She figured, he wanted her to stand, so she slowly got to her feet, hissing when her feet started stinging persistently from the pressure. She brushed herself off, Amanda tilted her head as she looked at the dog. “What is it boy? What’s wrong?” She asked him. He still held her blouse in his teeth, and she placed a hand on his head, her fingers stroking his fur. “Do you know where your owner is? Do you need me to take you back to them?”

"Right." Arturo was now smiling a fairly gentle smile as he turned around for Vice to see his back. Thankfully his leather armor had absorbed the brunt of the fire's effects, but he still had some nasty looking surface level burns from where the fireball's heat had licked his skin; still, that's all it really was and the half-elf knew well enough to count his blessings where he could find them. "Did you craft this home yourself?" he asked quizzically as Vice set to work on the burns, "I have to say, it is very comfortable here. I respect the effort that went into everything." 

@Revvys & @Witches Brew