Jump to content
jaistlyn

Child's Play [Nightmare Descends 2:3B]

Recommended Posts

It was in various degrees of lucidity that the group suddenly found themselves in another place entirely, disoriented and quaking as adrenaline pumped through their bodies. Gone was the jungle humidity and lost was the infernal heat. Instead they found themselves in a grey, drab place. It seemed that they were indoors, but heaving breaths and the pounding of heartbeats in their ears prevented them from being able to fully discern their surroundings - how large it was, and whether there was anything in it.

The lingering remnant of a scream escaped Fidelitas. He thrashed about, but was suddenly aware that he was no longer being torn apart. He ran his hands across his forearms by instinct, and found intact armour instead of bloodied skin. "W-what..." He pushed himself into a sitting position, beads of cold sweat sliding down his face. The terrible taste of failure and horror bittered his mouth. The harpies had been more powerful than he expected. Instead of saving the team, he had doomed them... But, no. Was he back in the camp? He had a fleeting image of returning, but no, this was not the Furthest Point. A quick scan confirmed that others were with him, some who had been in the jungle, but there were also others from the camp. Some were missing. Notably, all those who successfully went through the door, along with the whole Norkotian squad were not here. The turret was, though. It didn't make sense. Where were they?

A terrified cry from somewhere nearby made him jump. A child's voice. He snapped his head in the direction of the sound, and suddenly everything came into hyper-focus. A child, six or seven years of age, cowered in a corner on the other side of this place. Fidelitas could see everything about the child like a magnifying glass had been forcefully brought in front of his eyes. He could see the various bruises and welts on the poor kid's flesh and the horror in his shifting eyes, but try as the paladin might, somehow the child's face eluded him. A faceless child, he was.

A hand came down and struck the child on the cheek, sending his tiny body sprawling to the ground. [1] A palpable wave throbbed through the walls, and the whole environment around the group rippled in response. A woman came into view in front of the child. Her eyes were nothing more than pupil-less black orbs, and her fingernails curled to resemble claws. Then a booted foot came up and kicked the child in his abdomen, lifting him off the ground to fall a few feet away. [2] The foot belonged to a man. The child let out a heart-wrenching cry. The room throbbed around them again, and red, sticky blood started to streak down the walls.

The man and woman turned towards the group in unison, their shadowy forms humanoid, but their features nightmarish. "Who are you?" The man asked sharply, his voice dispersed and distorted, as though under water. "Mind your own business! I'm disciplining my child." With a snarl, he ran towards the group, jumped onto the nearest person (Khaki) and swiped at her with a knife, his movements impossibly fast. [3] His unnatural pupil-less eyes bore into her soul, shaking her to the core. [4]

The woman screamed frustratedly at the quivering child. "Look what you have done! Brought outsiders into this! Think you're so pitiful, aren't you. Well, you'll be more pitiful after!" [5] She screamed again, then charged at Iskandar, raking her claw-like fingers over his face. [6]
A directionless wail assaulted the group psychically, making their heads throb. [7] Three dark, formless Dark Whispers melted from the shadows. One headed for Celene, the autonomous drone belonging to the Daily Weekly journalist Soryn, though its owner was nowhere to be seen. The Dark Whisper let out a hollow cry, and phased through the machine, causing a disturbance in its circuitry. [8] The other two Dark Whispers flew over to Gormaric, one filling his head with thoughts of despair [9], and the other passing through his body and leaving a deep cut in its wake. [10] Armour counted for nothing against these semi-ethereal beings.

-

Key Character: Child

Quote

Starting Sanity: 10/20 ---> 5/20 after the attacks this turn.
Note: Child does not have HP (will not die), but his Sanity level will affect the enemies and the environment.

Global Passive Effect in Play

Quote

House of Torment: -1 Sanity to all characters per round.

Enemies: Parents

Spoiler

HP: 8 each
Passives:
- Abuse: -1 each to child every round for each parent alive at the start of their turn.
- Spiritual form: Regains 2 HP each turn.
- Nightmare Drain: -1 Sanity to attacker after they attack a parent. (Max -1 per turn, so if you attack the same target multiple times it’s still -1. If you attack both, it’s -2. Applies to Mass Attack and Counter Attack.)
Actions (3 per turn):
- Malicious Attack: -1 HP
- Terrorize: -1 Sanity

Enemies: Dark Whispers (3 enemies)

Spoiler

HP: 2 each
Actions (1 per turn):
- Horrid Image: -1 Sanity
- Cut: -1 HP
Note: Dark Whisper's target is randomized using dice rolling thread.

Additional Actions for this realm (everyone can use them. Each one counts as a normal action, and success is determined by usual sanity rolls)

Quote

1. Reassure child: +1 Sanity to child. Roll a d6. If you roll 5 or 6, +1 Sanity to yourself for being a good person.
2. Calm: +1 Sanity to self. If you have Meditate, use the result of a d2 dice as the amount of Sanity you recover.

-------

Actions taken in this round

Spoiler

[0] Parents - Abuse: -2 Sanity to Child. 
[1] Mother - Terrorize: -1 Sanity to Child.
[2] Father - Terrorize: -1 Sanity to Child.
[3][4] Father - Malicious Attack and Terrorize: -1 HP and -1 Sanity to Khaki @Thotification
[5] Mother - Terrorize: -1 Sanity to Child
[6] Mother - Malicious Attack: -1 HP to Iskandar @Roen
[7] House of Torment: -1 Sanity to EVERYONE @P.N.See @Dolor Aeternum @EpicRome23 @Roen @Fierach @notmuch_23 @vielle @Thotification
[8] Dark Whisper - Cut: -1 HP to Celene @Dolor Aeternum
[9] [10] Dark Whispers - Cut & Horrid Image: -1 HP and -1 Sanity to Gormaric @EpicRome23
 

Super shoutout to @ChaosLord for most of these mechanics! I would say ~85% of the things here are his idea.

Edited by jaistlyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fidelitas

Things happened too fast for Fidelitas to understand what was going on. He was still reeling from the horrors of the harpies, and though there were no signs of physical harm on his body, the same could not be said for his turmoiled mind. Nevertheless, a sense of duty anchored him to the current reality, and he let out a rallying cry that breathed strength back into his comrades. "Do not let these foul creatures bring you down! We will vaporize every last drop of this evil!" [1]

Praying to Gaia in his mind, he felt her strength feed his cause and embrace his entire being as he pushed himself to his feet. [2] The paladin's courageous figure embodied tenacity for the others as he roared and lunged with his sword at the father. [3] The shadow man was fast enough to react, resulting in no more than a shallow cut. He retaliated with a psychic hiss that caused Fidelitas' head to swim. [4]

-

Spoiler

 

Starting HP & Sanity: 5 & 2

[1] Mass Rally: +1 Sanity to 5 allies. Self, Iskandar, Gormaric, Barristan, Khaki.  @Roen @EpicRome23 @Fierach @Thotification d10 = 8 Success!  
[2] Calm: +Sanity. d10 = 6 Success! d2 = +2 Sanity (with Meditate). Sanity 3 -> 5
[3] Attack Father: 7/8 HP left. Sanity 5 Auto-Success!
[4] -1 Sanity for attacking Parent. Sanity 5 -> 4

Current HP & Sanity: 5 & 4.
Passive Defence active (brought over from previous realm)
Special Skills left: Mass Rally (2 uses), Passive Defence (2 uses), Advanced Buff (3 uses) 

 

 

Edited by jaistlyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The infernal heat and the horde of ashen figures. The ebon knight had begun to wonder when the horde might end, or when they would be overwhelmed by the weight of sheer numbers. Then, it all began to fade, and for a moment he found himself back in the camp with Frederick, the Subversors, and Cynthia. Man, what he wouldn't give for some booze right now.

But had that fleeting image been but another tantalizing illusion? Gormaric had made his way toward the supply tent when everything began to fade into the dark, soupy fog once more. When vision and clarity returned, he saw... what did he see? He couldn't make out much more than some shadowy figures and a faceless child. The two biggest shadows seemed to be the child's parents, and abusive ones at that. Gormaric recalled, for a moment, a friend of his in his youth, before his fall into darkness. He had tried to hide the bruises and welts, but the other children of Marcygate knew, the other children whispered. Gormaric himself had asked his parents about it in his wide-eyed innocence, and they had simply stated that there were some parents who took discipline too far. Though they disapproved, they never did try and get involved. Out of fear? Simply turning a blind eye to avoid trouble and drama?

Gormaric had never known the answer. And as he wallowed in reminiscence, a directionless wail reached his ears, and a throbbing pain spread through his head and broke his concentration. As he looked around for the source of this attack, two dark and formless creatures of shadows came out of the darkness to attack Gormaric. One assaulted his mind, intensifying the aching throb, and another passed through him and he felt as if he had been slashed by a sword along his torso, an ethereal blade that completely bypassed his armor. Added to the unhealed wound that had carried over from the previous realm of fire and torment, he was no longer in peak physical condition: his actions and reactions would be slowed until he had recovered some strength and stamina sapped away by his wounds. However, the sight of Fidelitas and his courage inspired Gormaric a little, allowing him to regain some calm and concentration within his mind.

The ebon knight saw red, and felt only dripping blood and a nigh-uncontrollable, growing rage. He was the Bane of Yh'mi, the one that would make this dark land bend the knee or be destroyed. How dare they. How dare they strike at him like this. Taking Shadowfang firmly in hand, a vast, black flame burst to life along the length of the blade, Gormaric's rage being absorbed by the Inanis to take shape as a manifestation of wrath. The black blade slashed through the air, and an onyx inferno spread throughout the whole of the room. These flames moved harmlessly past the ebon knight's allies, as well as the faceless child, and struck the shadowy enemies before them with a great burning pain. The dark form of the father, the three formless entities that had attacked the ebon knight and the drone. By a fluke or a whim of fate, the flames dissipated before they struck the dark form of the mother.

The man of shadow turned a black gaze to Gormaric, and he felt a psychic hiss within his mind that intensified the throbbing induced by the previous psychic attacks he had sustained. This seemingly served to intensify the rage the ebon knight felt, and his vision took on another shade of crimson as he turned his attention to the shadow man.

"... I will annihilate you, you vile coward. You thrive in inflicting pain and misery only because others are too afraid or too self-serving to stop you!"

With these last words, black flames burst to life along Shadowfang's blade once more, and Gormaric lurched forward with a charging thrust. The sword plunged into about where the man's midsection would have been in a physical body, and the black flames spread all throughout the form of shadow to inflict even more damage. The shadow man... didn't seem to retaliate, at least not immediately. Gormaric pushed through the pain that he currently felt to maintain his grip on Shadowfang's hilt. Whether he was trying to extricate the sword or slash it upwards through the shadow man's torso for even more damage was impossible to tell.

Spoiler

Gormaric Warmoon (& Eri)

HP: Starting: 3/5

Sanity: Starting: 4/5

Normal Skills: Attack, Meditate, Buff

Special Skills: Area Attack (2 uses), Counter-Attack (2 uses), Advanced Buff (2 uses) 

Actions: 

  1. Area Attack (Father + Dark Whispers x 3) (d10 roll = 6; success!)
  2. -1 sanity from attacking Parent; Father = 6/8 HP, Dark Whispers = 1 HP each.
  3. Advanced Buff on Attack (d10 roll = 8; success!)
  4. Attacked Father (3 damage) (d10 roll = 5; success!)
  5. Father = 3/8 HP.

Ending HP: 3/5;  Ending Sanity: 3/5


Frederick and his Subversors had held as best they could against the incoming horde. The shield wall held, but the small wounds accumulated from blows that slipped past their defenses, and tiredness was beginning to overtake them. Either the horde would run out of numbers or the wall would break, there was no other outcome.

... Except for the fabric of reality twisting and bending once more to deposit the group into the camp at the Furthest Point, only to almost immediately take away their hope as the fog returned. Inside the room of shadows and indistinct features, Frederick and his Subversors took their time to get their bearings, while Gormaric succumbed to a rage borne of attacks both physical and mental. The same directionless wail struck them as it struck Gormaric, but the seasoned warriors did their best to shake off the mental assault. When they had recovered some semblance of calm, the Subversors looked to Frederick for their next move. The powerful bastion of a warrior gestured them forward.

The group of Aligorian heavy infantry formed a (perhaps fruitless) shield wall in front of the faceless child. Frederick did not immediately join his subordinates, instead turning to the child to offer a comforting hand on the shoulder and words of reassurance. As he reached toward the child, however, a wave of pain shot through his body, and blood started to drip down his extended arm. Frederick pulled back for a few moments, wondering if one of the shadowy figures had struck him with ferocity and swiftness. Seeing none of them nearby, he shook his head and, undeterred, gently laid his right hand on the child's shoulder, and lifted his visor to make his face visible.

"Perhaps what I'm going to say is trite, kid. But I want you to know that this, too, shall pass. Time will heal your wounds, in time..."

He lowered his visor as he finished speaking. His own parents had been kind enough, though his father had lashed out at him and his mother when he came home drunk. This was thankfully less and less after he had settled into a career as a banker, but when he had still been a mercenary, it was almost a constant...

No. There was no time for these memories. He looked at the kid for a moment. Was he a little more calm? It seemed so. Frederick gave a satisfied smile as he turned away to join the shield wall. A sense of calm and peace seemed to ripple through the immediate area, restoring full calm and sanity to Frederick and his Subversors and pushing out the effects of that wail from earlier. When Frederick had rejoined the shield wall, he murmured a chant beneath his breath. The power of the Inanis flowed forth from the shields of the Subversors, and blobs of dark energy shot forth to allies around the room. On contact, they formed protective, dark purple auras, able to hold against attacks both physical and mental.

First an aura formed around Gormaric, then Cynthia, then those around the room that, to Frederick's perspective, seemed most damaged physically or mentally.

Hopefully it would be enough to help turn the tide.

Spoiler

Frederick York (and Subversors)

HP: Starting: 4/5

Sanity: Starting: 4/5

Normal Skills: Defend, Meditate, Taunt

Special Skills: Passive Defense (2 uses), Area Defense (2 uses)

Actions: 

0. Passive Defense Active (Carried from Long Way Down)

  1. Reassure (d10 = 1; BACKFIRE ;-; )
  2. Reassure (d10 = 8; +1 sanity to Child. d6 = 5; + 1 Sanity to Frederick)
  3. 5 sanity, further actions automatically succeed.
  4. Area Defense ( Gormaric, Turret "Tim" @P.N.See, Iskandar @Roen, Challara @notmuch_23, and Celene @Dolor Aeternum  )

Ending HP: 3/5; Ending Sanity: 5/5

 

Edited by EpicRome23
Changed Area Defense target from Cynthia to Turret "Tim"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last thing Challara remembers is getting dragged down by that tendril, and then nothing,,, until she lands on her ass in another hellscape.

Well, it didn't seem like one at first, but then the two adults abu8se what looks like their child, and its incubator lashes out at another member of what must be her new squad.

Target Focus Locked

Challara reaches down to pick up her shotgun, and...

...it's not there. Oh well, she's got two more firearms, one of which is the rather large M60 slung on her back, which she slides around to the front, makes sure the belt is loaded, and...

...the new hellscape ripples, and it feels like somebody just swung a bat at Challara's brain.

No matter, she aims the iron sights of the heavy machine gun right at that bitch's head, but she's having trouble focusing for some reason. When she thinks the muzzle is lined up, she fires a burst of rounds, longer than she normally should, sending eight rounds into that nightmare "incubator"

No sense in continuing to fire like that though, she can't get any more belt if she pisses it all away with bad fire dicipline, so she focuses, trying to regain her composure.

Or try. That bitch of course has some screaming and cursing after getting nailed, which breaks Challara's focus.

So she tries again, and is ableto pull herself a little more together than she thought she could, and reopenes her eyes with renewed resolve.

Spoiler

Challara Arabett

HP: 5/5

Sanity: 4/5 (nightmare realm, attacking parent, meditate; no net change)

Normal Skills: Atack, Meditate, Taunt

Special Skills: Area Attack 3/3, Limited Heal 1/1, Sustained Fire 3/4

Actions Attempted: Attack (Sustained Fire), success! -2 HP to "mother"; Meditatefail on first attempt, but got it on the second for 2 sanity

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

◄◄◄◄◄ [DP] === TURRET "TIM" === [SP] ►►►►

The turret's standby mode had been interrupted as soon as surroundings started changing again. However, the switch from a foggy camp to a darkened house room did not affected its preprogrammed routines. As usual, it turned toward each member of the group, which was different in its composition, and greeted each one with confirmatory beep. For a moment the turret was looking for something among the group, a shape of a quadrupled entity [1] that somehow had been saved in its memory during jumps across realities. Alas, there was nothing even distantly resembling that shape, and the turret stopped searching, leaving the rogue memory record for the time being.

It turned itself toward three figures in the distance. Lens focused on the smaller one in the middle, it started to assess its size, its position in the fire range... its threat level...

Suddenly the nearby entities had hit the smaller one, one after another, the violent act which threw the turret into some sort of malfunctioning state.

*shhhhhhhhhhkkhhhhhhhhkhh*

The machine was making hissing noises followed by erratic beeps. No one could tell if it was going to tumble down or start shooting everyone left and right. But while some of the group members might be preparing for the worst, an emergency calibration routine had kicked in [2], and the turret, for lack of better words, regained its senses, as if there was no error in its internal program.

The machine performed a quick scan around the area in search of "friends" and "foes"... well, mostly "friends". Unfortunately, all the data formed during the identification process had been wiped out due to malfunction. Except for one. The turret aimed again at the smallest entity in the distance and performed a brief validation. There was no "friend" or "foe" tags in the memory, only a designation of unknown origin. A command formed in a singular word...

P R O T E C T

Suddenly the turret's sensors reacted actively at the nearby movement from the shadows. It was hard to recognize their physical shapes, let alone decide their hostility from machine's POV. Yet the turret reacted rapidly. It locked on all three dark entities within its line of sight, memorized them with no distraction (despite of weird flashing flames across the room)... then shot out a burst of lead on each and every single one [3].

TAK! TAK! TAK!!!

The mic had registered a loud, agonizing shrieks afterwards... and then the entities had disappeared from the sensors at once. All three down.

The turret aimed at the entities nearby the smallest one. Taking the mysterious designation into account, the internal program defined those figures as "hostiles". The turret fixated itself onto the entity that seemed to be the weakest one and was about to take yet another shot, which was going for the head. [4]

=== THE FATHER ===
 █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █
2/8 HP (1HP taken)

Another static spike had hit the turret, causing it to throw into malfunctioning state again and shift its mark. The bullet, nonetheless, had reached the target entity and struck into the middle of its body. Another calibration routine barely started initializing, when the machine suddenly recovered itself from the strange shock attack. It was mostly functional at the first sight, but one might notice a strange faint buzz coming from inside of it - and not a single beep from the internal speaker...

< _ _ _ _   _ _ _ _ >  

Spoiler

=== Turret "Tim" ===

Intact / Minor Malfunction

DP: █ █ █ █ █ | 5/5
SP: █ █ █ █  | 4+1-1/5
AP:  █      | 3/3

Statuses/effects:

Buff x3       | +3 to any future dice roll  | Saved

Specials:

Area Attack:   █ █  | 2/3
Area Defense:  █ █ █ | 3/3

Actions and notes:

[1] Shoutout to Surus the Elephant (wherever you are, big buddy...)

[2] Calibration | +1 to Stability | 1 AP 
    (a.k.a Calm)└───── Rolling D10 for stability check...
                       Rolled 10 (Great Scott!)               Success!
                       Stability completely restored, no further checks required 

[3] SPECIAL: Area Attack! 1 dmg to all 3 Dark Whispers 1 AP + 1 stack | ALL TARGETS ELIMINATED
                          └───── Stability full, action is successful

[4] Attack                | 1 dmg to The Father  | 1 AP | -1 to Stability
                          └───── Stability prior attack is full, action is successful     
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The endeavor continues"

It was only the briefest respite Barristan and Junia received as they looked around and found themselves still not in camp. The dark walls of their tent seemed to have faded into whatever fresh locale that made up this continuing nightmare, and both found their weapons in their hands once again, despite no recollection of even drawing them.

"Calm down" Barristan soothed his fellow Custode, even as she took aim at and almost pulled the trigger on a fellow defender of Furthest Point, Fidelitas. Recognition kicked in just in time, but as the scream echoed out and she followed his gaze, Junia froze as well. The macabre scene of child abuse played out and her shock turned to rage. It was familiar to her, a sour note struck from her past. In a tone colder then any her partner had heard before she orders Barristan to attend to the child. The  two of them would rally to the rest of the party, and she would help the others attend to the unruly parents, taking aim with her repeating crossbow.

She hated child abusers, and would put several enchanted bolts into the mother's body despite her own madness growing. Barristan however, failed to reassure the child, lacking the maternal instincts his partner did.

Spoiler

 

Name: OFM Guardian Barristan & OFM Seeker Junia

HP: 6/6

Sanity: Start 3

+1 Fidelitas, -1 House of Torment

-1 Attacking "Mother"

Normal skills: Attack, Defend, Heal, Meditate (4 uses)

Special Skills: N/A

 

Spoiler

 

Actions: 

Action 1: Attack "Mother" (Success!)

Action 2: Attack "Mother" (Success!)

Action 3: Reassure child (Fail!)

Actions roll

 

 

Edited by Fierach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celene-powered P.U.D. (Temporary User: Fidelitas)

“Recording 23B-001 saved. Attempting to contact origin.”

“Failed”

“Attempting to contact primary user.”

“Failed”

“Analyzing surroundings”

The Celene-powered P.U.D. attempted to scan its surroundings, recognizing a few familiar energy signatures from before but failing to find Soryn or anything familiar. Hovering near Fidelitas, it scanned the entirety of his form to validate who he was and then initiated a backup protocol. “Temporary user acknowledged.” The floating device kept its proximity near the paladin and then finally finished its assessment of its surroundings.

Threat level: moderate

As soon as it had finished, it felt a wave of energy begin scrambling its communication protocol. There was no visible reaction from the machine aside from the initial jerk to one side.

Changing its focus, it once again assessed the scenario and given the protocols already in place that were set by the finest engineers the Daily Weekly had to offer at the time, it decided to move toward the child and calm it with a flurry of calming images that were meant to distract the innocent while the reporters dealt with more serious issues. [1]

Seeing that the attempts were mostly working, the machine took it upon itself to continue attempting to reassure the child some more, showing the child the equivalent of Saturday morning cartoons in Terrenus. [2],[3]

Then it took some time to repair itself.

Repairing damage [4]

Spoiler

Soryn Savedo & P.U.D 

P.U.D. Status: Operational (physical damage taken)

Start of Round Stats:

DP: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥  | 4/5
SP: ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦  | 4/5
AP: ⌂ ⌂ ⌂     | 4/3

P.U.D. Actions:

- [1] Reassure Child - 1d10(success) so +1 to Child's Sanity + 1 to Celene Sanity as well.

- [2],[3] Reassure Child again. (+2 to Child's Sanity)

- [4] Heal (+1 HP)

End of Round Stats:

DP: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ | 5/5
SP: ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦  | 5/5
AP: ⌂ ⌂ ⌂     | 3/3

 

Edited by Dolor Aeternum
added start of round/end of round stats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

”Yhhaaagh!” 

Near the center of the room a handful of breaths after the rest had arrived, the veil between reality and unreality popped with the sonorous boom of air displacement. The sundered veil, a slit of black as long as a man was tall and darker than the space between stars, quivered, and from it’s pitched depths came a gauntlet, then another. Massive fingers encased in gun-metal gray pushed the narrow division between dimensions farther apart, while the man trapped between worlds growled with the effort of a man too proud to scream, his exertions distorted, as if filtered through some current or channel of communication. 

Viscera and gore sloshed onto the floor in great gouting sheets while something, someone pushed their way into a realm they were not invited into nor welcome in, first one leg, then a head, then the whole of his massive, armoured body. Through means both esoteric and calamitous, the Black Legionnaire, named more for his port of calling than the color of his armour, emerged from a debauched birthing, and, after taking a knee, scrabbled for the latches at his throat to unclasp his helmet. 

The helmet came free in his hands with a hiss of releasing air pressure to reveal a patrician face set in a noble grimace. Clean shaven with closely cut blonde hair, with eyes like two chips of dirty ice that flicked downward and closed, Iskandar heaved, the servos in his armour whining with the convulsion, and retched onto the floor already slick with blood. The contents of his stomach splashed across the floor, replete with disgorged tumours, half-digested fingers, eyeballs and brain matter, and his afternoon meal. He purged himself, and when he stopped long enough to wipe the spit off the corner of his mouth with a swipe of his tongue, he -- 

-- was slashed across the face by a woman. 

Flinching, Iskandar rose up to his full, unnaturally monumental stature, and swung his helmet in a retaliatory backhand to smash the gun-gray steel of its pate across the side of the mother’s head. A giant of a man, nearly two-and-a-half meters tall and weighing nearly five-hundred kilograms of plate metal, meat and bone, the warrior’s armour snarled with the sudden, fitful lash of strength, rewarding Iskandar with the solid crack of composite steel against flesh and bone, but not the death blow he had been expecting. Instead, the woman rocked back, dazed and injured, but whole and intact. Iskandar grunted. 

Raising his helmet and putting it over his head, the giant righted the piece of equipment until the soft seals took root and he was able to seal it again. The T-visor flickered back into life with a flash of green along the lenses. ”What Hell is this?” He asked, reaching above his shoulder to wrap his fingers around the lathed hilt of the sword magnetically clamped to the back of his armor. He drew it with a steely hiss while turning his head, the servos in his armour purring while he scanned the room, looking for the allies he had come to stand beside in their darkest hour. Inside his armour, the man's nose and ears started to bleed from the oppressive effects of the house, his mind aching with the death-throb of ebbing focus and stability. The journey alone had hurt him, both within and without. 

 

Starting Health: 3


Starting Sanity: 3
Mass Rally roll failed
Successful attack against Mother: 5/8 HP

Ending Health: 3
Ending Sanity: 2

 

Edited by Roen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Khaki frowned as she got hit. Weird. It's not everyday that an adult would hit another child especially one as adorably cute as her but now her eyes have been opened to the harshness of reality. Shocked, she tried to calm herself through some meditation but somehow it backfired and now she's starting to feel a bit too under the weather. Hands shaking, she reached for her coat's inner pocket to produce a flask of spirits which she began chugging down. This has always been her usual response to anything that induces stress but somehow, not even the comforting taste of alcohol can ease this rather alarming affliction.

Spoiler

Khaki rolls a bloody 1 (Action: Meditate - Fails miserably, takes 1 extra damage.
Status: -1 Sanity, -2 Health


Meanwhile, Sera watched the scene unfold but did make any response. She needed to meditate for a bit before making any harsh actions. Once she has completed her meditation sutras, Sera puts Khaki behind her and flips the one who attacked her friend, deliberately taunting the parent. "Stop picking on kids, you fucking cunt. Why don't you take someone your own size?"

Spoiler

Sera rolls 7 (Action: Meditate - Succeeds)
(Action: Calm on Khaki 
(Action: Taunt on the parent - Succeeds)


Finally, the Mistress pulls out a cigar from her coat pocket and light it. After inhaling a lungful of smoke, she sidled towards Khaki and slaps the poor girl sill. "Calm down, Khaki." Then she proceeds to slap Khaki again while filling the little girl's body with energy to cure her wounds.

Spoiler

Middy rolls a 9 (Action: Meditate - Succeeds)
(Action: Heal Khaki - Succeeds)
(Action: Heals Khaki - Succeeds)


Khaki blushes at her friend's assistance. Finally feeling a bit okay, she proceeds to meditate instead making her feel even better. Now that she's more or less feeling sane, the little girl made her way towards the poor abused child and starts comforting the little thing. "There, there."

Spoiler

(Cont. Khaki)
Action: Meditate - Succeeds
Action: Calm child - Succeeds

 

 

Edited by Thotification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Dark Whispers’ ethereal forms dispersed like the wind after strong attacks by Gormaric and the turret. The small child looked up at Frederick when he put a hand on his shoulder. He was too young to comprehend the man’s words, but the sight of strong adults forming a shield in front of him calmed him down a little. He was fascinated when Celene moved to him and showed him colourful moving pictures. He even smiled a little. Trust a machine from the Daily Weekly to have all of their highest-grossing shows loaded into its memory. Khaki moved up to the boy and petted him on the head. It was a tremendous comfort to have another child about, and the boy leaned into Khaki, hooking his arm around hers.

The moment was not to last, however. The mother screamed in rage when Challara’s bullets tore into her, and Junia’s crossbow bolts pierced her body. It became obvious that the group was not facing mere humans when the mother bounced back from Iskandar’s bone-crushing blow. In front of their eyes, her skin and flesh knitted together, mitigating some of the damage that the group had done to her. [1] A glance proved the same for the Father [2], who responded to Sera’s taunting with a snarl. “Looks like someone needs to teach you manners, girl.” With a fluid motion, he removed his belt, which turned into a hissing snake in his hand. The serpent launched itself at Sera, aiming to bite at her face. At the same time, an overpowering aura emitted from him, pressurizing Sera to submit. [3] He turned and glared back at the boy, eyes flaming with hate. [4] The boy whimpered and tightened his grip around Khaki. 

Figuring that the gun-user and crossbow-user were more a threat to her, the Mother rushed towards Challara and Junia, claws extended and slashing. She didn’t stop there, however, but continued running, and launched herself at Frederick’s throat. [5]

From the shadows, three Dark Whispers re-formed themselves, though it was uncertain if it was the same three which had dispersed, or if they were new entities. It didn’t matter, for there was plenty of nightmare fuel present for the dark beings to gouge themselves upon. One each floated up to Tim the turret and Celene the drone, slashing at their circuitry. [6] The last passed straight through Fidelitas’ chest, causing his teeth to clatter and a chill to run down his body, filling him with dread. [7] The paladin gritted his teeth. It was a false fear, he convinced himself. [A] Iskandar’s arrival was late and unexpected, but Fidelitas had heard about the upcoming aid from the Black Legionnaire. He figured this Herculean man was him, though Iskandar seemed worse for wear through the journey. Fidelitas had many questions for him and of the gore he expelled, but now was hardly the time for it. The paladin called upon the power of his goddess to heal Iskandar, and found Gaia's presence conspicuously missing. [B.] Unsettled, he tried again. Before he could muster the concentration however, his body seized up painfully, and he fell to all fours. Luckily, the phase passed soon. Fidelitas spit out a mouthful of blood, and then wiped a gauntleted hand across his lips, breathing heavily. Staying here in this nightmare was almost akin to poison. [C]

A gust of chill wind blew across the room of indeterminate dimensions. A shape coalesced from the shadows in the middle of the group, and resolved itself into a small figure - the doppelganger of the child cowering in the corner. However, the figure was only visible to those whose mind were disturbed. For the rest, they saw only the swirling of mists. The Dark Child seemed to be gathering himself, but for those who could see him, they had a distinct sense that this entity was very dangerous.

-

Global Passive Effect in Play @everyone

Quote

House of Torment: -1 Sanity to all characters per round

Key Character: Child | Ending Sanity 6/20

Spoiler

Starting: 5 Sanity
+5 Sanity Reassure from PC actions
-1 House of Torment
-1 Father's Attack
-1 Father not defeated
-1 Mother not defeated

Enemy: Mother

Spoiler

Ending HP: 5/8
Starting HP: 3/8
[2] Spiritual Form: +2 HP
Passives:
- Abuse: -1 each to child every round for each parent alive at the start of their turn.
- Spiritual form: Regains 2 HP each turn.
- Nightmare Drain: -1 Sanity to attacker after they attack a parent. (Max -1 per turn, so if you attack the same target multiple times it’s still -1. If you attack both, it’s -2. Applies to Mass Attack and Counter Attack.)
Actions taken (3 per turn):
[5] -1 HP to Challara @notmuch_23 (blocked by Area Defence)
      -1 HP to Junia @Fierach
      -1 HP to Frederick (blocked by Passive Defence) @EpicRome23

Enemy: Father

Spoiler

Ending HP: 4/8
Starting HP: 2/8
[1] Spiritual Form: +2 HP
Passives:
- Abuse: -1 each to child every round for each parent alive at the start of their turn.
- Spiritual form: Regains 2 HP each turn.
- Nightmare Drain: -1 Sanity to attacker after they attack a parent. (Max -1 per turn, so if you attack the same target multiple times it’s still -1. If you attack both, it’s -2. Applies to Mass Attack and Counter Attack.)
Actions taken (3 per turn):
[3] -1 HP & -1 Sanity to Sera @Thotification
[4] -1 Sanity to Child

Enemies: Dark Whispers (3 enemies)

Spoiler

HP: 2 each
Actions taken (1 per Dark Whisper)
[6] -1 HP to Tim (blocked by Area Defence) @P.N.See
      -1 HP to Celene (blocked by Area Defence) @Dolor Aeternum
[7] -1 Sanity to Fidelitas @jaistlyn

Note: Dark Whisper's target is randomized using dice rolling thread.

NEW Enemy: Dark Child

Spoiler

HP:  20
Passives:
- HP Regeneration: Variable, depending on Child's sanity
- Quick Reflexes: Dark Child counters attacks (max once for each character per turn). The counter chance is based on a die roll, and the dice used depends on Child's sanity.
- Insanity: Can only be seen and attacked if character's Sanity is 3 or below at the start of their turn.
- Cruelty: Prioritizes attack on those who had attacked him, and then those who have the lowest HP.
4 Actions per turn.
Actions available:

- Malicious Attack: -1 HP, -1 Sanity to 1 character
- Terrorize: -1 Sanity to Child
No actions taken this turn.

-

Fidelitas

Spoiler

Ending HP & Sanity: 4 & 3.
Starting HP & Sanity: 5 & 4
-1 Sanity from House of Torment. Sanity 4 -> 3
-1 Sanity from Dark Whisper attack. Sanity 3 -> 2

[A] Calm: +Sanity = Success! d2 = +1 Sanity (with Meditate). Sanity 2 -> 3. 
[B.] Heal Iskandar, Miss. @Roen
[C] Heal Iskandar, Backfire. Fidelitas HP 5 -> 4.

Passive Defence active (brought over, Passive Defence does not block attacks on Sanity.)
Special Skills left: Mass Rally (2 uses), Passive Defence (2 uses), Advanced Buff (3 uses) 

 

Edited by jaistlyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KHAKINA "KHAKI" KHATUN

In response to the child's actions, Khaki would cradle the child and start singing lullabies both for herself and for the child. The song, despite being awfully out of tune due to Khaki's inability to replicate notes, had a rather calming effect on the little girl. She only hoped the child would be affected as well.

Spoiler

Khaki rolls a 5
Action 1: Meditate ---> Success (+1 Sanity)
Action 2 & 3: Calm Child (2x) ---> Success


MIDDY / THE MISTRESS BLACKHEAD

Seeing Sera's predicament, the Mistress would then try to assist the crazy woman. Taking a lungful of cigar smoke to calm her nerves, the Mistress would scoot over to Sera's direction and kicked the woman from behind. Healing energy would then course throtHE ugh Sera's body aiming to give the mad woman some form of regenration.


SERRAIDA "SERA" MAVAJO

The snake attack was disgusting at most and mostly uncomfortable at the very least. Furious at such insolence, Sera the crazy bitch lashed at the man.

"You can go and suck on your manners, you fucking cunt!" Sera snarled back as she fought against the aura. Even as the suffocating aura tried to suppress her she forced herself to move towards the father and gave him a strong bitch slap. "I should be the one teaching you manners, you bastard!"

Spoiler

Sera rolls 9 (+1 Health from Mistress)
Action 1: Meditate --> Success (+1 Sanity)
Action 2 & 3: Attack father (2x) ----> Success (-1 Sanity)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gormaric extricated Shadowfang from the Father's shadowy form as the latter turned toward Sera and unleashed his belt-snake toward her. He waited for an opening, an opportunity to strike another powerful blow. In the meantime, he turned a good portion of his attention inwards, to put his jumbled thoughts back in order and somehow get rid of that damned buzzing that echoed throughout his head. 

However, his efforts seemed to have little effect. Indeed, they might have even been making the issue worse. Shadowfang clattered to the ground (was there really solid ground there?) as the ebon knight lifted his hands to his head, now heedless of everything around him. That infernal buzzing had to cease. His wyvern Eri bounded forward from the darkness, rushing to her master and wrapping her wings protectively around him as she growled at the shadowy figures all about. Even the return of his faithful mount and companion did nothing to shake the ebon knight from his stupor. In his distracted anger, his gaze did settle upon a spitting image of the child, albeit dark and shadowy. An aura of danger... he should be doing something about it, or at least informing the others... but the buzzing just does not stop.

A short time later, Gormaric, still clutching his head tightly, stumbled about for a few seconds before lying down on the ground, Eri adjusting her protective posture accordingly to account for his new position. If the situation were not as it was, onlookers might have found his actions to be comical, at least somewhat.

Spoiler

Gormaric Warmoon (& Eri)

HP: Starting: 3/5

Sanity: Starting: 3/5

Normal Skills: Attack, Meditate, Buff

Special Skills: Area Attack (2/3 uses), Counter-Attack (2/3 uses), Advanced Buff (2/3 uses) 

Actions: 

  1. House of Torment (-1 Sanity)
  2. Calm (d10 = 4, fail...)
  3. Calm (d10 = 3, fail q.q )

Ending HP: 3/5;  Ending Sanity: 2/5


Frederick, meanwhile, held position in the center of the Subversor shield wall. He watched with a prideful grin as his defensive enchantments took effect in response to attacks by the shadowy figures. Those struck would have seen streams of dark energy swiftly rise from the ground around them, forming a dark purple barrier around them that, alas, dissipated due to the force of the blows aimed at them. But the important point to note was they were fully unharmed by these blows, whether they were physical or mental in nature.

The veteran knight hardly flinched when the shadowy form of the Mother lunged toward his throat. He had been raising his shield in order to bring it to bear against the incoming attack, but before he could even get so far, shadowy streams of dark energy flowed forth from his armor to form a dark purple hand in front of him, which struck the Mother with an open palm and, while doing no notable damage, pushed her away from Frederick before her attack could make contact with him. The knight wondered to himself for a second, before recalling how he had set up that defensive spell in the realm of flames and infernal heat he had been in before. Good to know that such enchantments carried through the transitions between the realms of this accursed fog, he supposed.

With no immediate threat to respond to at the moment, Frederick turned his attention back to the child. He opened his mouth, starting to say something but suddenly cutting himself off. The words were on the tip of his tongue, why could he suddenly not say them? ... Perhaps that particular turn of phrase wasn't appropriate for such a child, anyways. The knight shook his head to refocus his thoughts, then after a few moments, spoke to the child.

"The Shadow King's power protects us. And so protected, we protect you. Chin up kid, we'll see you through this safely."

Spoiler

Frederick York (and Subversors)

HP: Starting: 3/5

Sanity: Starting: 5/5

Normal Skills: Defend, Meditate, Taunt

Special Skills: Passive Defense (2/3 uses), Area Defense (2/3 uses)

Actions: 

  1. House of Torment (-1 Sanity)
  2. Reassure (d10 = 2; Fail)
  3. Reassure (d10 = 7; Success. +1 Sanity to child. d6= 4; no Sanity to self.)

Ending HP: 3/5; Ending Sanity: 4/5

 

Edited by EpicRome23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

◄◄◄◄◄ [DP] === TURRET TIM === [SP] ►►►►►

< _ _ _ _   _ _ _ _ >  

< m m m m   m m m m >  

The buzz morphed into an audible hum when the turret's energy sensors had picked up more sources of disturbance. It turned slowly around to briefly scan the area, while keeping the smallest entity in mind (or rather, in memory). The numbers were mostly the same: several "neutral" entities, five "hostiles" - two greater ones and three lesser ones... But there was something else [1].

The turret focuses on a strange entity that resembled the smallest one in a far corner. As it tried to focus on that entity and scan it thoroughly, a sudden designation appeared in internal memory. A singular word like the one was before. But shorter. And more impactful.

R U N

A loud high frequency beep came out from speakers, alerting everyone in vicinity about the dark entity and the dangers it may pose. But alas, the members of the group either were not able to see the threat or were busy with their psychic issues. After some time under never-ending pressure wasted on futile warnings the turret's hums became louder and more varied in tone [2].

< m m m M   M M M M >

Forced to follow the "Protect" designation (which wasn't colliding with the new one), the turret turned back toward the hostile entity it attacked, ignoring lesser targets around it. Despite of major malfunctions, it marked the entity as a target without any delay and took a few single shots at it [3].

=== THE FATHER ===
  █ █ █ █ █ █
1/8 HP (1HP taken)

The static spike followed after the turret attack did numbers on its internal circuits. Without sensors it had gone practically blind, unable to make target markings, friend-or-foe identification or any related calculations [4]. However, its mechanical systems and "Protect" designation still remained intact. That and few program banks preserved since the jungle encounter should be enough to finish the job. The turret carefully pointed its gun barrel at the entity ahead and started spinning it. The speakers cracked, then let out mechanical sound that may be mistaken for a whisper. A distorted human whisper.

< B B A D   D D A D >

RRRRRRAAAATAKKATAKKATAKKATAKKATAKKA! [5]

=== THE FATHER ===
  █ █ █ █ █ █
0/8 HP (1HP taken)

When the hostile entity's mutilated body had dropped on the floor, the turret stopped firing, and barrels stopped. There was a faint smoke coming from the barrel's end, the body and the perforated wall it was standing ahead of. The turret attempted to start the recalibration process, but the internal systems were not responding and reserved program banks were already dead [6]. Deeply affected by multiple errors, the machine beeped with a tone of annoyance (that could be at some extent expressed by a malfunctioning piece of hardware) and hummed something that could be interpreted only as

< N N O T   G O O D >

Spoiler

=== Turret Tim ===

Intact / Multiple Denials of Service

DP: █ █ █ █ █ | 5/5
SP: █ █    | 3-1/5 | Warning! Stability is Low!
AP:  █      | 3/3

Statuses/effects:

Buff x3       | +3 to any future dice roll  | Used!

Specials:

Area Attack:   █ █  | 2/3
Area Defense:  █ █ █ | 3/3

Actions and notes:

[1] FLAIR: Acknowledgment of Dark Child's presence (due to low sanity/stability)

[2] FLAIR: Reflecting on initial -1 Stability Drop

[3] Attack      | 1 dmg to The Father  | 1 AP -1 to Stability
                └─────
Rolling D10 for stability check...
                       Rolled 5 (Close call!)     
Success!

[4] FLAIR: Reflecting -1 Stability Drop after attack

[5] Attack      | 1 dmg to The Father  | 1 AP -1 to Stability
                └─────
Rolling D10 for stability check...
                       Rolled 3                   
Failed!
                       Using Buff x3       3+3=6  Success!
                       

[6] Calibration | +1 to Stability | 1 AP 
    (a.k.a Calm)└───── Rolling D10 for stability check...
                       Rolled 3                   Failed!              

 

Edited by P.N.See

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celene-powered P.U.D

The P.U.D had continued to show the child such classics as Gaian Warriors and The Adventures of Odin Haze  until it felt another wave that caused the protocol in control of displaying the recorded content to pause as it assessed its current situation and its environment.[1] The AI within the device was advanced enough that it could read social cues and general body language which made the sight of beings like Iskandar and Fidelitas concerning enough for it to switch gears briefly.

“Initiating Battle Medic Mode”

The device would hover away from the child, pausing for hardly even a second to analyze the closest and most optimal focus.

“Initiating first aid”

The P.U.D would approach Iskandar and spray an aerosol containing a restorative mixture that would work to mend the Legionnaire’s wounds and then moved to Gormaric to do the same. [2][3]

The device would hover near Gormaric then, assessing the situation once again to determine what it considered the more optimal actions to take next.

Spoiler

Soryn Savedo & P.U.D 

P.U.D. Status: Operational (physical damage taken)

Normal Skills: Defend (Evasive Protocol), Heal (First Aid Module), Meditate (System Repair)

Special Skills: Area Defense (Defensive Protocol), Advanced Buff (Expend Resources)

Start of Round Stats:

DP: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ | 5/5
SP: ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦  | 5/5
AP: ⌂ ⌂ ⌂     | 3/3

P.U.D. Actions:

- [1] Reassure Child - 1d10(success) so +1 to Child's Sanity + 1 to Celene Sanity as well.

- [2],[3] Heal Iskandar and then Gormaric.

End of Round Stats:

DP: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ | 5/5
SP: ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦  | 5/5
AP: ⌂ ⌂ ⌂     | 3/3

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So that sad excuse for an incubator tried to attack, and Challara got so scared and pissed, she didn't notice that it didn't do a damn thing, but one thing is clear to her: "dat cunt's gotta fuckin' die!"

So with great fury, the drow points her heavy machine gun up to the evil female figure, and lets fly a long burst of fire. In her rage, the bullets fly anywhere but into the "incubator's" body, so she tries to readjust her point of aim,a nd fire a shorter burst. The epinephrine and fury throws her aim wide again! Now the drow tries to control her breathing and refocus, but the thoughts of that cunt daring to abuse her own kid can't leave, and makes Challara even more furious.

"GYAAAAAAAAAAH!"

Spoiler

Challara Arabett

HP: 5/5

Sanity: 2/5 (nightmare realm, attacking parent)

Normal Skills: Atack, Meditate, Taunt

Special Skills: Area Attack 3/3, Limited Heal 1/1, Sustained Fire 2/4

Actions Attempted: Attack (Sustained Fire), failedAttack (normal), failedMeditate, failed

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...