Jump to content
jaistlyn

Child's Play [Nightmare Descends 2:3B]

Recommended Posts

Junia found herself unable to shoot at the Mother as she came in, frozen in her anger. Her vision began to swim, her past catching up to her in the wake of the current nightmare, magnified by some unholy aspect of the present. It was all she could do to even bring her weapon up in time, blocking the worst of the Mother's assault, but the claws ripped into her Seeker's garb all the same and drew blood. Barristan for his part couldn't believe what he was seeing.  He knew Junia, she should've been able to dodge such a blow cleanly. 

"Junia! Get a hold of yourself!" he cried out to her desperately. "Its not real!"

Not real? Junia heard him dimly through the pulse pounding in her ears. What a stupid remark. The blood dripping down her outfit felt real enough. Through the worsening haze of her vision, Junia made out her chosen enemy. Barristan's words were useless for her mental stability, perhaps a result of his inability to ascertain the truth of the matter, or his inability to reassure anybody spreading from his attempt with the child now to his partner in battle, but it did ignite her resolve. There were things a warrior could do even while struck deaf, blind and dumb to protect themselves.


 

Spoiler

 

Name: OFM Guardian Barristan & OFM Seeker Junia

HP: 6/6

-1 Attack from Mother

Sanity: Start 2

-1 House of Torment

Normal skills: Attack, Defend, Heal, Meditate (4 uses) (2 left after this round)

Special Skills: N/A

 

 

Spoiler

 

Actions: 

Action 1: Meditate 1 (Fail!)

Action 2: Meditate 2 (Also Fail!)

Action 3: Defend (Success!)

Actions Roll

 

 

Edited by Fierach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sera's slap hit the Father's cheek with a resounding smack. The force made him stagger sideways, allowing the turret Tim to lock onto its target for a clear shot without endangering its allies. The bullets riddled the Father's body, reducing him to a gory mess. [1] When his lifeless body hit the ground, the Mother let out a blood curdling wail of rage and disbelief. She swiped at Junia again, and when her attack was thwarted by the female warrior's instinct, she leapt at the turret. An orb of dark energy gathered in her palm, and this she lobbed at the machine, hitting it where its barrel attached to its main body. Finally, she turned around and delivered a mighty kick to Sera's face, avenging the agony her husband suffered. [2]

The child calmed down slightly in Khaki's arms, swaying to the lullaby. He looked up at Frederick with hopeful eyes, until one of the Dark Whispers approached Khaki. Suddenly, Khaki was hit by an image of the small boy stabbing her through the stomach, a lopsided smile on his lips. An illusion, one to shock and scare. [3] Another of the Dark Whispers moved to Frederick. Its ethereal form phased through his upper torso, and he would soon realize that the Whispers could make their bodies manifest physically at will, when he felt a sharp pain internally through his chest, though there was no external wounds. [4] The last Dark Whisper tried to do the same to Fidelitas, only to find that the paladin was impenetrable - the divine shield he had invoked in the jungle earlier protected him. [5]

The shadow child made his move now. Right on the heels of the Dark Whisper tearing into Frederick, he delivered a sharp punch to the knight's face. [6] The Dark Child fed off pain and cruelty. The more his victims suffered, the lesser he would feel his own hurt. His face was a mask of murder that terrorized those he attacked. Gormaric was his next target, as the dark knight showed an obvious moment of weakness. Even Eri could not hope to match the Dark Child's speed as he raked sharp, hardened, feline-like claws across Gormaric's face. [7] Then he turned to the child being cradled by Khaki. Don't pretend to be an innocent child, he cooed. I am you, and you know it. Unleash me, and together we can dominate the world. No one will be able to hurt us any longer. He laughed, his voice resonating through the space. The child screamed shrilly. "No, no, nonono!" [8]

Fidelitas pushed himself up. This madness that erupted all around them had crept into their souls. The shadow being had declared himself to be a manifestation from the small child. This meant that they could either defeat the shadow, or they could make the child feel safe enough that he would be able to overcome his dark emotions. He walked over to the kid and patted his head. "Be strong, boy. For each person who would hurt you in the world, there are ten more who want to protect you. Believe in us." [A] He clanged his sword against shield, a rally to his team, that they would not fall so easily. With his rise in morale, the figure of the Dark Child suddenly faded away into the shadows. However, there were other targets for him to take down. With a battle yell, he lunged at the Mother with a series of strikes that drove her back from Sera, his sword biting into flesh and splashing her blood onto the ground. [C] 
 

[1] Father has been defeated.
Global Passive Effect in Play @everyone

Quote

House of Torment: -1 Sanity to all characters per round

Key Character: Child | Ending Sanity 6/20

Spoiler

Starting: 6 Sanity
+4 Sanity Reassure from PC actions
-1 House of Torment
-1 Mother not defeated
-2 Dark Child attack

Enemy: Mother

Spoiler

Ending HP: 7/8
Starting HP: 5/8
Spiritual Form: +2 HP
Passives:
- Abuse: -1 each to child every round for each parent alive at the start of their turn.
- Spiritual form: Regains 2 HP each turn.
- Nightmare Drain: -1 Sanity to attacker after they attack a parent. (Max -1 per turn, so if you attack the same target multiple times it’s still -1. If you attack both, it’s -2. Applies to Mass Attack and Counter Attack.)
Actions taken (3 per turn):
[2] -1 HP to Junia @Fierach (blocked by Defend)
      -1 HP to Tim @P.N.See
      -1 HP to Sera @Thotification

 

Enemies: Dark Whispers (3 enemies)

Spoiler

HP: 2 each
Actions taken (1 per Dark Whisper)
[3] -1 Sanity to Khaki @Thotification
[4] -1 HP to Frederick @EpicRome23
[5] -1 HP to Fidelitas (blocked by Passive Defence) @jaistlyn
Note: Dark Whisper's target is randomized using dice rolling thread.

Enemy: Dark Child

Spoiler

HP:  20/20
Passives:
- HP Regeneration: Variable, depending on Child's sanity
- Quick Reflexes: Dark Child counters attacks (max once for each character per turn). The counter chance is based on a die roll, and the dice used depends on Child's sanity.
- Insanity: Can only be seen and attacked if character's Sanity is 3 or below at the start of their turn.
- Cruelty: Prioritizes attack on those who had attacked him, and then those who have the lowest HP.
Actions available:
- Malicious Attack: -1 HP, -1 Sanity to 1 character
- Terrorize: -1 Sanity to Child
Actions taken (4 per turn):
[6] -1 HP, -1 Sanity to Frederick @EpicRome23
[7] -1 HP, -1 Sanity to Gormaric @EpicRome23
[8] -2 Sanity to child

-

Fidelitas

Spoiler

Ending HP & Sanity: 4 & 3.
Starting HP & Sanity: 4 & 3
-1 Sanity from House of Torment. Sanity 3 -> 2

[A] Reassure: Success! d6 = 5, +1 Sanity to self. Sanity 2 -> 3. 
[B.] Mass Rally, Success! +1 Sanity to self, Junia @Fierach, Gormaric @EpicRome23, Challara @notmuch_23, Iskandar @Roen. Sanity 3 -> 4.
[C] Attack Mother with Advanced Buff (Attack 3). Success! Mother HP 7 -> 4. Fidelitas Sanity 4 -> 3.

Special Skills left: Mass Rally (1 use), Passive Defence (2 uses), Advanced Buff (2 uses) 

 

Edited by jaistlyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even when hit, Sera was unperturbed. Perhaps more disturbed than ever as a long stream of vile curses escaped her scarred lips.

"FUCKING BITCH CUNT SHIT ASS WHORE! I WILL BLOODY END YOU!" 

The act itself seemed to help calm her nerves and push back the encroaching insanity. With her will renewed, Sera does the impossible. She runs away from the mother and hugs the terrified child instead. 

"There. There." Sera breathes into the child's ears.

Spoiler

Sera actions (2x)

Action 1: Meditate= Success (+2 Sanity)

Action 2: Calm child= Success

Meanwhile, Khaki's had to frown at that image. She's used to older men stabbing her but not a cute innocent kid. Clearly, this must be an illusion. Her convictions are too strong that she belived no child would ever attack her knowing how adorable and caring she is to children. Still the nightmare affected her, mostly her ego, and she had to stroke the kid's head to calm her nerves and the kid's. 

When Sera appeared out of nowhere to steal the kid away; Khaki did the only possible action. She opted to kick Sera away. Whike the act vlbarely faze Sera, at least the magical energy within it healed Sera's injuries.

Spoiler

Khaki actions (3x)

Action 1: Meditate=success (+2 Sanity)

Action 2: Calm child=success

Action 3: Heal Sera=success

(+1 HP to Sera)

 Lastly, it's the Mistress' turn. The sudden changes to her sanity greatly worried her. It affected her so much that she began smoking harder than usual going through her stock at a fast and unhealthy manner. On her third stick she finally managed to break through and ultimately calmed her nerves.

Spoiler

Mistress: Action (3)

Action 1,2: Meditate = Miss

Action 3: Meditate= Success (+1 Sanity)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now̴̞̝͊͝     KI̴͇̖̍̈Ḷ̴̱͗͝L                Ordé̶̪͚̋r̶̛͚̫͂  ̵͖̫̓͝                          MU̸͈̓̀S̴̾͑T.

S̞͔̱͉̯̬̲ta̝̘͎͉r̳͇̩̜t̪ ̯̣̺̫͟    F̖͓͇̺͉̤id̶̪̟̟̪̪̱̖ẹ͡l̤̰͙̺i̮̭͓̤̹̱ṯ̛̫̬a̯͍̬͚̠̫ş̹̳̮

 

The attack of the dark child against Gormaric was accompanied by a psychic, a mental blow as well. Combined with the continual, blasted buzzing that this place exuded... the last vestiges of the ebon knight's sanity were eroded away. The voice of Lun'silth, heard by Gormaric only in the echo of an memory... it was clear now, a new order given. The fall of the Order could and would begin here. Fidelitas would not expect a blow from a trusted ally. It would be enough to distract him and have him fall to the dark entities all about this place. With one blow, the dominoes would topple. The mission that Remissio had undertaken would begin anew, carried out by one of the causes of the mission's previous failure... a perfect irony.

Gormaric raised himself off the ground, using Shadowfang to help him along. Once he stood fully, the black blade erupted into ebon flames, and the ebon knight approached the paladin of the Order...

no... No... NO!

Eri let out a confused growl as she watched Gormaric. This noise, somehow, echoed in his mind and caught his attention. It was wrong. This was wrong. The Order was not his enemy. He did not serve the will of Lun'silth. He closed his eyes, concentrating his full effort on regaining control and clarity in his mind. The efforts paid off, with some sense of clarity restored. The voice of Lun'silth and the desire to strike at Fidelitas was also eradicated. The ebon knight now opened his eyes and took stock of the situation. It was looking a little better, with the shadowy figure of the father dead. All they needed to do now was follow suit with the mother, and then that dark child that had struck at him. If the dark whispers continued to reform like they had when the first batch was destroyed... they were an annoyance, but not worth the effort to destroy.

To strike out... no, not yet. Gormaric still needed to bring back some clarity to himself before he could properly strike back. He closed his eyes once more.

This was quite possibly a mistake, as a fresh of wave pain shot through Gormaric's head. The ebon knight clenched his free hand so hard that blood began to drip through the gauntlet and onto the ground below. Eri let out a sound of concern, maintaining a position of vigilance whilst being angry about her helplessness in this situation. She couldn't protect her master from either these enemies or the forces that assailed him from within. What use was she, then?

Spoiler

Gormaric Warmoon (& Eri)

HP: Starting: 3/5 - probably kinda okay, help soon maybe?

Sanity: Starting: 1/5 - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Normal Skills: Attack, Meditate, Buff

Special Skills: Area Attack (2/3 uses), Counter-Attack (2/3 uses), Advanced Buff (2/3 uses) 

Actions: 

  1. House of Torment (-1 Sanity)
  2. Calm (friendly fire d2 = 2d10 = 9, calm d2 = 2, +2 to Sanity)
  3. Calm (d10 = 1, backfire, -1 HP)

Ending HP: 2/5 (help plz?); Ending Sanity: 2/5


Frederick, meanwhile, fell into despair as his shield wall began to crumble. One of his Subversors threw herself in front of the Dark Whisper, her attempt to block the ethereal attack being to no avail. However, she came off much worse than Frederick himself did. Taking the brunt of the attack? Rivulets of black blood started flowing down from the joints in her armor, and there was an expression of fear as she looked toward her leader.

"Ma... Major..."

Then, she collapsed to the ground, lifeless.

"Amelia..."

Fredrick spoke a string of expletives under his breath. She was a young soldier, a recent recruit to the Subversors that had quickly proved her skill and worth. To fall in a place like this, to die in such a way... no, this dark land had to pay for extinguishing such bright souls as hers.

But before he could do much more, the dark child came hurtling forward, a punch aimed at Frederick's head... but before he could make contact, another of his Subversors leapt forward to take the blow. Even through the forged Uru helm, the force of the blow sent Sir Gilliam's head flying back with enough force to shatter his skull and snap his neck. Gilliam was dead before his body hit the ground. The other two Subversors, Oswin and Bors, had sustained wounds that forced them onto one knee, but they still did the best they could to hold the shield wall intact.

Frederick, meanwhile, began to cough up blood and collapsed to his knees. The Subversors and their leader were on the verge of death. A good blow from any of their enemies would spell their end, unless they received healing swiftly. But they would not go without doing at least one thing more... gathering together what power they could, Frederick and the Subversors made the power of the Inanis manifest once more, the protective dark purple auras once more forming around the weakest allies in the room... including the Subversors themselves. It would have to do. It would have to hold...

Spoiler

Frederick York (and Subversors)

HP: Starting: 1/5 - ANESTHETICS REQUIRED ANESTHETICS REQUIRED ANESTHETICS REQUIRED

Sanity: Starting: 3/5

Normal Skills: Defend, Meditate, Taunt

Special Skills: Passive Defense (2/3 uses), Area Defense (1/3 uses)

Actions: 

  1. House of Torment (-1 Sanity)
  2. Area Defense (d10 = 7. Protecting Frederick, Gormaric, Iskandar @Roen, Turret Tim @P.N.See, and Fidelitas @jaistlyn)

Ending HP: 1/5 (HAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLP); Ending Sanity: 2/5

 

Edited by EpicRome23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Person in need of assistance. Shifting to Medic Protocol”

The hovering device analyzed its predicament and noticed that the child was being consoled by someone else so decided to efficiently hover away. Gormaric was the first person that it encountered so it began hovering around the man, expelling a regenerative mist that worked to recover whatever wounds it could detect. In the process it felt a pang of concussive energy from somewhere that seemed to damage it physically. (+1HP to Gormaric, -1HP to Celene)

“Initiating Protection Protocol”

A metallic protrusion emerged from the body of the machine, extending high above. Energy released from a circular top along the extended apparatus, quickly creating a protective dome with the intent of defending against any incoming attack for those who managed to get in its shelter. (Area Defense for first dibs)

Spoiler

Soryn Savedo & P.U.D 

P.U.D. Status: Operational (physical damage taken)

Start of Round Stats:

DP: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ | 5/5
SP: ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦  | 4/5
AP: ⌂ ⌂ ⌂     | 3/3

P.U.D. Actions:

- [1] Heal Gormaric

- [2] Attempt to Heal Gormaric again backfires (-1 HP)

- [3] Area Defense (block next attack for up to 5 people) (2 uses left)

End of Round Stats:

DP: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥  | 4/5
SP: ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦  | 4/5
AP: ⌂ ⌂ ⌂     | 3/3

Edited by Dolor Aeternum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

◄◄◄◄ [DP] === TIM === [SP] ►►►►

One could argue that the terran turret held itself fairly well, despite of overall atmosphere of terror and that energy blast it had just received at point-blank range. But a short glimpse at its internal circuits - the only thing that distinguish it from a motionless gun on three legs - could reveal the real state of things, which was... well... it is beyond author's power to describe such a effed-up situation without relying on profanity. [1]

All of turret's sensors were all fried up, all of its movements and decision making were handled by core processor unit alone. Such emergency state was out of its nominal capacity and could cause the overheat and eventual shutdown if not addressed quickly. [2] Again, it was the operator's duty - not the turret's one - to perform diagnostics and reconnect crucial peripherals to drop CPU load... But, yet again, Tim's operator was not here. And so it was up to Tim to set thing right inside.

The turret's CPU attempted to ran the emergency subroutine and reboot itself in order to gain back access to its sensors. A second passed. Two seconds... Three... But there was no reaction. The turret's processor got stuck in a program loop, thus overloading itself even further. [3] If its temperature sensor was still intact, it would be literally screaming across the entire room - it was just THAT hot from within. At the moment the processor was able to jump out of the loop and restart a recovery process... just to be caught in a loop again. [4] There was only that "Protect" designation that was somehow detached from the core unit. Driven by it, the turret slowly turned itself toward the smallest entity and attempted to communicate with the only way it knew - by letting out human-like whispering noises.

< M M M M   M M M E >
< M E E E   T T I -

POP! [5]

◄◄◄◄◄ [DP] === ...TIM? === [SP] ►►►►

The turret got suddenly silent, as a spark came out from inside. The signal lights went dim, a faint trail of smoke sprouted out from Tim's carcass. It was official: the processor was toast. And yet... the humming noise persisted. Not only that - it changed its pattern, going loud, then quiet, then loud again. It sounded just like... breathing. Between those periodic hums, one could heard a distinct whispering voice. Not a simulated noise. A voice. A deep, sinister voice.

"HMMM. YES. WE. ARE. CLOSE." [6]

Spoiler

=== Turret Tim ===

Severly DamagedBasically F.U.B.A.R.

DP: █ █    | 4-1/5
SP: █     | 1/5 | !!!DANGER!!! Critical Stability!
AP:  █      | 3/3

Statuses/effects:

- Area Defense (cast by @EpicRome23's Frederick) | Absorb 1 dmg from Physical Attack | Active

Specials:

Area Attack:   █ █  | 2/3
Area Defense:  █ █ █ | 3/3

Actions and notes:

[1] FLAIR: Reflecting on low Stability/Sanity

[2] FLAIR: Foreshadowing Backfire damage (see [5])

[3] Calibration | +1 to Stability | 1 AP 
    (a.k.a Calm)└───── Rolling D10 for stability check...
                       Rolled 6                   Failed!

[4] Calibration | +1 to Stability | 1 AP 
    (a.k.a Calm)└───── Rolling D10 for stability check...
                       Rolled 6                   Failed! Again...

[5] Reassure    | +1 to the Child's Sanity (possible +1 to Stability) | 1 AP 
    the child   └───── Rolling D10 for stability check...
                       Rolled 1... (OOF!)         
BACKFIRE! (1 dmg to self)                      

[6] FLAIR: Foreshadowing Friendly Fire being switched to ON (zero stability imminent!)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Challara's vision gets blurry and she gets shakier the more this place assaults her mind, and as relatively dim as she is, knows that trying to shoot anybody in this condition won't turn out so well.

So, just like she'd been trained to do in battle in Copper Valley when the battlefield conditions start overwhelming her, she stops, slows her breathing, and tries to gather the scattered bits of information, thoughts, fears, and condense them into one focus...

...and there goes Soryn's P.U.D with its cold, robotic voice. Try again...

...with the rhythm of breathing manually slowed, Challara closes her eyes, and instead tries just getting the superfluous shit out of her brainspace.

It's starting to work! Oppressive environment, YEET it the fuck outta here! Horrible "incubator", horrible mom is taking a flight to Who-gives-a-flying-fuck-berg! Them shadow bitches? Looks like Team Rocket is blasting off again (even though it was just two members)!

Between that mental exercise, and a reserve of dark magic Challara didn't even know she had, her focus is starting to return, and along with it her combat effectiveness.

Spoiler

Challara Arabett

HP: 5/5

Sanity: 4/5 (nightmare realm, meditate)

Normal Skills: Atack, Meditate, Taunt

Special Skills: Area Attack 3/3, Limited Heal 1/1, Sustained Fire 2/4

Actions Attempted: Meditate, fail, success (for two), success (for one)

 

Edited by notmuch_23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Junia was able to bring her weapon up in time to block the Mother's next attack, and then the monster darted away, as if sensing easier prey elsewhere. She would have made an attempt to fire upon the creature, but even before she could realign her crossbow, she was gripped by a wave of nausea more intense than anything she had ever felt before, slumping over as the demons in her head fought a battle for her sanity.

Seeing his partner unreachable (and having failed in getting to her), Barristan took it upon himself to apply physical alms to those in need, as based on his record, he was not capable with any mental alms at all. Rushing to Frederick's aid, Barristan looped one of his arms under him and pulled him up. "On your feet man, you'll not die here!"

Quickly, he'd try to tend to the other man's wounds, working with lengths of sterile gauze, antiseptic, ad coagulants, emergency medical supplies pulled from a pouch. Unfortunately the hectic nature of the surroundings lent ill to proper application of battlefield aid, and there would be little, if any effect.

Name: OFM Guardian Barristan & OFM Seeker Junia

HP: 5/6

-1 Attack from Mother (defended!)

-1 from Meditate Backfire

Sanity: Start 1

-1 House of Torment

+1 Rally from Fidelitas

Normal skills: Attack, Defend, Heal, Meditate (4 uses) (2 left after this round)

Special Skills: N/A

 

 

  Hide contents

 

Actions: 

Action 1: Meditate 1 (Backfire!)

Action 2: Heal (Fail)

Action 3: Meditate 2 (Fail!)

Actions Roll

Edited by Fierach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The defenders' mental condition were breaking down by the minute, due to the pressures of the nightmarish beings draining away their resolve. Even the mechanical turret had not escaped harm. The dark child laughed at the struggles of everyone present. He turned to his small counterpart and pointed a sharpened finger at him. "There, see, if you'll just unleash me, no one can hurt you. Don't believe them. Haven't you learnt yet? They're always lying. Free me completely, and they'll all be dead!" He laughed madly, so hard that he had to double over and hold his stomach. Then, in one quick motion, he thrust his hand into the child's chest and dug out his heart. Beyond the initial shock, anyone else watching would quickly realize that it was an illusion as the beating heart was translucent. "You know as well as I do that this is useless. I'll help you get rid of it, right now," he said, crushing the heart in his fist. The child wailed and jerked, as if his heart had actually been pierced. [1] Then the shadow child moved away so fast that he was nothing more than a blur. He would show his counterpart that none of this people were powerful enough to protect him. Only his own formidable dark powers could ever be enough. The dark child's first target was the severely weakened Subversors. The purple aura that they had summoned up looked weak, but the shadow child was surprised when his attack could not pierce through it. [2] Turning towards the smoking turret, he attempted to punch it, but the same purple aura surrounded it. The dark child gritted his teeth, but he reminded himself that he just had to be patient. These hypocritic, pretentious people could never hope to win against his speed. [3]

Fidelitas' attacks connected and tore through the Mother's flesh. She screeched unnaturally, and the paladin was forced back against the grating noise, his head ringing. [4] Even as he watched, the Mother's skin knitted themselves back together. In despair, Fidelitas tried to call upon Gaia again, but his previous strength had left him, and the goddess did not or could not answer. Instead, the attempt drained him, as if the demon in front of him was able to feed off his faith. [A] 

Futile, a voice whispered in his head. Just let go. Stop struggling. It will be easier that way... 

"No..." Fidelitas groaned, trying and failing again to pull himself together. His armour became unbearably heavy, and it was choking the life out of him. He dropped his weapon and sank to his knees, one hand clutching around his throat. [B.] The Mother took the chance to rush at Fidelitas, her claws extended to rake across his eyes. At the last moment, a purple barrier went up between her and Fidelitas, and her hand crashed against it, missing its mark. [5] The thwarted attack snapped Fidelitas out of his hysteria. The casters of the shield were in a bad way, and a couple of the Subversors lay bleeding, expired. The paladin remembered his duty to protect. No, he wasn't done, and he could not allow his team to be done before him. A surge of energy rushed through him, and he directed it at Frederick and his men, mending the worst of their wounds. [C]

Snarling, the Mother turned around and headed for the girl (Khaki) cradling her son. The battle had torn any semblance of humanity away from her. Her flesh, though restored, was blackened and cracked. Her face was a mask of horror, enough to strike primal fear into Khaki's heart as she charged towards the child. [6] One of the drifting Dark Whispers hovered near Khaki and amplified the terrifying visage. [7] Another one moved towards Iskandar, but was repelled by Frederick's shield. [8] The last Dark Whisper targeted Tim the turret, but was impeded by the energy shield manifested by its fellow machine (Celene). [9]

 

Global Passive Effect in Play @everyone

Quote

House of Torment: -1 Sanity to all characters per round

Key Character: Child | Ending Sanity 5/20

Spoiler

Starting: 6 Sanity
+3 Sanity Reassure from PC actions
-1 House of Torment
-1 Mother not defeated
-2 Dark Child attack

Enemy: Mother

Spoiler

Ending HP: 6/8
Starting HP: 4/8
Spiritual Form: +2 HP
Passives:
- Abuse: -1 each to child every round for each parent alive at the start of their turn.
- Spiritual form: Regains 2 HP each turn.
- Nightmare Drain: -1 Sanity to attacker after they attack a parent. (Max -1 per turn, so if you attack the same target multiple times it’s still -1. If you attack both, it’s -2. Applies to Mass Attack and Counter Attack.)
Actions taken (3 per turn):
[4] -1 Sanity to Fidelitas 
[5] -1 HP to Fidelitas (blocked by Area Defence)
[6] -1 Sanity to Khaki @Thotification

 

Enemies: Dark Whispers (3 enemies)

Spoiler

HP: 2 each
Actions taken (1 per Dark Whisper)
[7] -1 Sanity to Khaki @Thotification
[8] -1 HP to Iskandar (blocked by Area Defence) @Roen
[9] -1 Sanity to Tim (blocked by Area Defence Defence) @P.N.See
Note: Dark Whisper's target is randomized using dice rolling thread.

Enemy: Dark Child

Spoiler

HP:  20/20
Passives:
- HP Regeneration: Variable, depending on Child's sanity
- Quick Reflexes: Dark Child counters attacks (max once for each character per turn). The counter chance is based on a die roll, and the dice used depends on Child's sanity.
- Insanity: Can only be seen and attacked if character's Sanity is 3 or below at the start of their turn.
- Cruelty: Prioritizes attack on those who had attacked him, and then those who have the lowest HP.
Actions available:
- Malicious Attack: -1 HP, -1 Sanity to 1 character
- Terrorize: -1 Sanity to Child
Actions taken (4 per turn):
[1] -2 Sanity to child
[2] -1 HP, -1 Sanity to Frederick (blocked by Area Defence) @EpicRome23
[3] -1 HP, -1 Sanity to Tim (blocked by Area Defence) @P.N.See

-

Fidelitas

Spoiler

Ending HP & Sanity: 2 & 1. (Help, anyone, pls? XD)
Starting HP & Sanity: 4 & 3
-1 Sanity from House of Torment. Sanity 3 -> 2
-1 Sanity from Mother's attack. Sanity 2 -> 1

[A] Calm, Backfire! HP 4 -> 3
[B.] Calm, Backfire! HP 3 -> 2
[C] Heal Frederick + Advanced Buff, Success! Frederick's HP 1 -> 4.
Special Skills left: Mass Rally (1 use), Passive Defence (2 uses), Advanced Buff (1 use) 

 

Edited by jaistlyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gormaric sized up the situation before him. While he had thought Frederick would perish for certain, he was spared, and Fidelitas' healing power gave the Subversor commander a second wind. The others... didn't seem to be faring so well. And Fidelitas himself obviously needed some aid of his own. But there was little the ebon knight could do aside from killing their enemies and relieving pressure on everyone in that way. But he was still too distracted by the turmoil within his head and mind.

Some malevolent entity had it out for him, as this resulted only in Gormaric undoing the effects of the healing mist that machine had sprayed over him. The wounds reopened, and the ebon knight spat onto the ground below. It would take more than that to fell him. He let out an angered noise and re-focused. Finally, his will won out once again, restoring calmness and shoring up the defenses of his mind once more. Damn it, he should do something, but he would need to return to full effectiveness before he could make a difference. He exerted his will to call upon the power of the Inanis within him, to use that dark energy in order to assert calm and order on the remaining turbulence within his mind. The shadowy power did not respond. Sighing deeply, Gormaric looked up once again, carefully examining the situation.

Spoiler

Gormaric Warmoon (& Eri)

HP: Starting: 3/5 - meh

Sanity: Starting: 2/5 - mehhhh

Normal Skills: Attack, Meditate, Buff

Special Skills: Area Attack (2/3 uses), Counter-Attack (2/3 uses), Advanced Buff (2/3 uses) 

Actions: 

  1. House of Torment (-1 Sanity)
  2. Calm (d10 = 1, Backfire, -1 HP)
  3. Calm 2 Electric Boogaloo (d10 = 7, d2 = 2, + 2 Sanity)
  4. Advanced Buff (d10 = 3, Miss.)

Ending HP: 2/5; Ending Sanity: 3/5 (Wow, the values flipped! Spectacular!)


The defense held. Frederick, Bors, and Oswin, lived to face this threat before them still. And furthermore, Fidelitas called upon his great healing energy, mending the wounds of the Subversor trio and sending strength flowing back into them. They were a little below top condition... but still, they were at the point now where their strength was once again unhindered by their wounds. The three of them turned their attention to the immediate, pressing business of regaining control of their mental faculties. The iron will of the Uru-clad knights won out, and they were left with only a mildly annoying, turbulent buzz in the back of their minds.

Elated, they turned toward the shadowy form of the Mother. They would try to bait her toward them... but, no. The words were stuck on the tip of Frederick's tongue. Shaking his head, he waved off the questioning stares of Bors and Oswin and turned his attention to Fidelitas. The paladin had helped them on the verge of death, and he was not looking so well himself. Calling upon the power of the Inanis, Frederick weaved a more subtle spell than his usual umbrella of defensive magic. Strands of dark purple energy formed in the air, before shooting forward and weaving themselves into the paladin's armor. It would protect Fidelitas from damaging blows, and would serve as a layer beneath an active act of defense, or even a wide-ranging spell like Frederick had used twice in this dark realm. Not quite the healing that the paladin may have desired, but that was not an area that Frederick excelled in whatsoever.

Spoiler

Frederick York (and Subversors)

HP: Starting: 4/5 - yeet

Sanity: Starting: 3/5 - meh

Normal Skills: Defend, Meditate, Taunt

Special Skills: Passive Defense (1/3 uses), Area Defense (1/3 uses)

Actions: 

  1. House of Torment (-1 Sanity)
  2. Calm (d10 = 5, d2= 2, +2 Sanity)
  3. Taunt (Target: Mother, d10 = 2, Miss.)
  4. Passive Defense (Cast on Fidelitas @jaistlyn. d10 = 9)

Ending HP: 4/5; Ending Sanity: 4/5

 

Edited by EpicRome23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celene P.U.D

The P.U.D, with its focus still on Gormaric, analyzed the Subversor commander and concluded with a clear assessment that resources needed to be expended to assist its current fixation. Several compartments suddenly opened, all of which expelled the same regenerative mist from before but with higher concentration to heal Gormaric.[1]

Once it assess the Subversor’s wounds were healed, the drone hovered away from the man and toward the child in an attempt to reassure the child by showing the child some more animation but as it attempted to do so a spark forced the animation to end and caused some damage to its internal circuitry. [2] The stubborn machine recovered quickly and then this time attempted to access some video files from another database depicting some fireworks that had distinct shapes of gods and several other mythical creatures that were deemed acceptable for someone of the current viewers age, this time seemingly succeeding.[3]

Spoiler

Soryn Savedo & P.U.D 

P.U.D. Status: Operational (physical damage taken)

Start of Round Stats:

DP: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ | 5/5
SP: ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦  | 4/5
AP: ⌂ ⌂ ⌂     | 3/3

P.U.D. Actions:

- [1] Heal Gormaric with Advanced Buff (+3 HP)

- [2] Attempt to reassure child backfires (-1 HP)

- [3] Attempt to reassure child again succeeds (+1 Sanity to Child)

End of Round Stats:

DP: ♥ ♥ ♥   | 3/5
SP: ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦  | 4/5
AP: ⌂ ⌂ ⌂     | 3/3

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as soon as the drow neatly wound her thoughts around a nice neat spool, apparently they resemble earbud cords in this case: all tangled into a giant snarl all over again, and she can't afford the time to untangle them right now. So she lifts her M60, lines up the iron sights to the horrible "incubator", and fires a four-round burst that slams into the cunt's body, which causes it to screech in pain and unravel Challara's mind a little more. Still surprised at the success, she steps forward to get a better line...

...right on a spent casing just wrong, slips, and falls right onto the rest of the still screaming-hot brass...

...with her face.

"AAAAAAAAA! GAH'DAMN MUTHAFUCKIN BULLSHIIIIIIT!"

Guess it hurt.

After quickly sweeping the casings off her face (and leaving quite visible burns), she again takes aim at the "incubator". However, one of those casings burnt close to her right eye, causing it to water heavily, and miss with the next three-round burst.

Spoiler

Challara Arabett

HP: 4/5 (backfired attack)

Sanity: 2/5 (nightmare realm, attacking parent)

Normal Skills: Atack, Meditate, Taunt

Special Skills: Area Attack 3/3, Limited Heal 1/1, Sustained Fire 2/4

Actions Attempted: attack 3x mother, 1 success, 1 backfire, 1 miss

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Junia had reached her limit. The insanity of the place, the dark whispers it brought to her mind, all began to overwhelm her. She began screaming, dropping her weapons and falling onto her knees, yelling incomprehensibly as she tore at her own skin, as if something else was inhabiting her being and she had to get it out. 

Barristan looked over at his companion in despair. He was unable to do anything for her, or for his allies.

No... there was one thing he could definitely do.

With a strangled cry, the Guardian advanced on the unholy being known as the Mother as it was being assailed by another. 

"FOUL CREATURE. ITS ALL YOUR FAULT!" he roared wildly. The horrors of Yh'mi sought to drive the party mad, but there was a power in madness too! In a ferocious display, the armored soldier slammed his own poleaxe into his helmed head, leaving his senses ringing. 

8F006F089C0602A3F7CD5CAFB9CC9D08D47AA3B8

But the pain was enough to focus. With all of his willpower, Barristan bent his own impending sanity toward the correct source of their torments. Lifting up his polearm, Barristan would slash at the Mother with all of his might. If one blow was not enough, then he would make two, three, however many it would take to fell the accursed woman.

"DIE!"

Spoiler

 

Name: OFM Guardian Barristan & OFM Seeker Junia

HP: 4/6

-1 from Meditate Backfire

Sanity: Start 1

-1 House of Torment

-1 from attacking Mother... whatever, already at zero!

Normal skills: Attack, Defend, Heal, Meditate (2 uses)

Special Skills: N/A

 

Spoiler

 

Actions: 

Action 1: Meditate (Fail!)

Action 2: Attack: Mother (Success) (ZERO SANITY?! I CARE NOT)

Action 3: Attack: Mother (Success) (ZERO SANITY?! AND SO I AM IMMORTAL)

Actions Roll

 

 

Edited by Fierach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

◄◄◄◄◄ [DP] === ... === [SP] ►►►►►

There is a common knowledge among those who had endured the terror of Yh'mi: no piece of terran tech could not hold for more that a couple of weeks. It could be a software failure, a sudden carcass rusting or a electromagnetic interference... The outcome would be always the same: inevitable, irreversible breakage. And yet... No man never witness the machine being brought back in action and gained sentience.

It was just so happened that Tim, the machinegun turret, had been possessed by an unknown entity, which couldn't be good, given the overall hostility of this place.

"WE HAVE. ARRIVED." - A bone-chilling voice rumbled through speakers. The turret vessel turned itself with a loud creak toward Dark Child and tilted itself down in a curtsying manner. [1] - "MASTER..."

The takeover was going smoothly, yet not without problems. Without external power source, some repair and additional parts from another vessels (like that one floating around), it would take a good while to accommodate itself to this form. Due to that, the vessel's movement would be looking sluggish and sporadic. [2] This could alert fleshlings, but that did not matter: they would soon reunite with their false deities either way.

The entity continued "speaking". Its words were addressed to everyone in the accursed room:

WE ARISE. FROM. DARKNESS.
WE ARE. HERE TO. PURGE. UNWANTED. UNCHOSEN.
OUR NAME. IS. CARRIED. THROUGH. ETERNITY.
WE. ARE. ---

< T T I I   I I M M >

Suddenly something sparked inside the vessel, and the signal lights flickered. A faint rumble, a shaft on the bottom feel out, and a metal orb dropped down from the utility compartment. The orb stopped not too far away from the vessel then - CLICK! - it got itself covered in blinking lights and went beeping steadily. Then faster. And faster. And fa-

BOOOOOM!

As the orb exploded, a strange liquid from inside of it spread out, hitting the vessel and several fleshlings (and also that flying mini-vessel). Upon contact, this liquid rapidly stretched across the entirety of a metal body and formed some sort of a reflective thin coating. The same happened to the rest who got hit. [3]

"YOU!" - The entity roared. That situation was beyond its expectations: the vessel, even deeply corrupted, still had the control over itself, thus preventing the entity from carrying Master's will at full extent.

< M M M E   T I I M >
< Y O O U   B A A D >

That was it. That was the response of the vessel itself. Artificial. Broken. Imperfect. The turret turned toward Whispers. There was a moment where the entity had picked a faint current flowing from the core toward...

The barrels. It was trying to spin the barrels. It was going to shoot at Whispers!

The turret-possessing entity was devoid of any emotions and feelings we living beings could consider humane. But its vessel acting against its will (and thus, the will of Master) was testing its eternal patience.

"STOP!" - Something sparked from inside, and the barrels that were beginning to gather the momentum had stopped short. [4]

"YOU. DO NOT. HELP!" - The entity spoke. It assumed that the vessel with what little remained of its own "mind" would interfere no further and let the inevitable happen already.

Spoiler

=== Turret Tim ===

Severly Damaged / Officially Gone Rogue 

DP: █ █    | 3/5
SP:      | 0/5 | !!!WARNING!!! ZERO STABILITY!
AP:  █      | 2/3

Statuses/effects:

- None

Specials:

Area Attack:   █ █  | 2/3
Area Defense:  █ █  | 2-1/3

Actions and notes:

[1] FLAIR: Reflecting on zero Stability/Sanity (friendly fire is now ON, folks)

[2] FLAIR: Reflecting on damage done to Tim (only 2 AP per round available)

[3] AREA DEFENSE | Block 1 physical/psychic attack     | 1 AP + 1 stack
                 | for 5 characters for the next turn
                 └───── Rolling D3 for friendly check, D10 for action check...
                        D3: 2, D10: 9             Success!

[4] AREA ATTACK  | Deal 1 dmg to up to 5 enemies | 1 AP                  
                 
└───── Rolling D3 for friendly check, D10 for action check...
                        D3: 2, D10: 5             Failed...

- - - - -   - - - - -   - - - - -   - - - - -   - - - - -

AREA DEFENSE SLOTS:
1: Tim the Turret (@P.N.See)
2: Fidelitas (@jaistlyn
3: Celene P.U.D. (@Dolor Aeternum)
4: UP FOR GRABS!
5: UP FOR GRABS!

 

Edited by P.N.See

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Khakina tried her best but somehow she keeps on failing. Even then, she kept on drinking to calm her nerves. It is not her fault that the fate or whatever metaphysical forces at work here had deemed her to fail at the moment she needed it at most. It was only when she had her third bottle of spirits that she had managed to calm herself. However, she did not notice that she had taken damage just by failing to calm her nerves. Such misfortune. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Spoiler

(Action: Meditate - 1st try misses, 2nd try backfires, 3rd try succeeds)

Name: Khakina "Khaki" Khatun (The Pretty Paragon)

Starting HP: 5 HP - 1 (last action backfired) = 4 (total)

Starting Sanity: 2 Sanity + 2 (meditate/calm) = 4 sanity

Normal Skills: Attack, Meditate, Heal 

Special Skills: Counter-attack (3 uses), Advanced Buff (3 uses), Passive Defense (3 uses)


With Khaki doing nothing useful this round, everything is now up to Sera. Trying her hardest to be as friendly as possible, the mad woman awkwardly hugged the child in an attempt to protect the poor thing from the horrors of this horrifying reality. Little did she know that such an act would ultimately lead to her downfall sometime in the far future. For now, all she should be worried about is protecting the child that Khakina once protected.

"Fucking cunts! Get away from this fucking child!"

Truly, such a miracle to see Sera's maternal instincts finally blossoming at the face of such dire adversity.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Spoiler

(Action 1: Metiate-Success / Action 2: Uses Advance Buff on Calm Child-Success / Action 3:  Calm child )

Name: Serraida "Sera" Mavajo

Starting HP : 5 HP

Starting Sanity: 4 Sanity

Normal Skills: Meditate, Taunt, Attack

Special Skills: Counter Attack (3 uses), Advanced Buff (2 uses), Passive Defense (3 uses)


When all hope is lost, the true heroine appears. With Sera finally completing a character development arc, it is now time for the Mistress to take action. Giving the mad woman a friendly pat on the shoulder, the Mistress herself takes action and sashays towards the mother where she would give that mother a good bitch slap. Seeing that one isn't enough, she delivered two more for good measure.

"Sorry, dear. I got so excited my hand slipped."

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Spoiler

(1st Action: Meditate - miss 1st roll, success 2nd roll = +1 Sanity / 2nd Action: Advanced buff for Attack mother) 

Name: The Mistress Black Head (Middy)

Starting HP: 5

Starting Sanity: 4 + 1(meditated) - 1(attack mother) = 4

Normal Skills: Meditate, Heal, Attack

Special Skills: Mass Heal (3 uses), Advanced Buff (2 uses), Passive Defense (3 uses)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...