DarkHorse

The Labyrinth That Is Their Mind ~ Chateau De Choisel

The 12th hour: 

Quin woke with a start, a terrible pain in her stomach wrenched her from her sleep. Her teeth chattered though her body was covered in a thin sheen of sweat, something that did not make her chills any better. Her whole body hurt, much akin to getting the flu - except it was worse, much worse. She didn’t even have time to appreciate her quaint surroundings as she curled in on herself with a groan. Just in time for a wave of nausea to wash over her and cause her to gag for a moment. Perhaps worse than all of it, she didn’t feel rested....she was the opposite. Every muscle was tense, coiled, tightly strung, her mind raced a million miles and she found she couldn’t put herself back to sleep if she wanted.....she simply wasn't tired. 

Wave after wave of illness would wash over her, the break between each one grew less and less as time wore on. In the times she didn’t feel ill, she chose to explore the room, what she dared to of it at least. Quin did managed to shanghai one of Alistair’s shirts so she wasn't stumbling about unclothed. The room was dark - incredibly dark, a blasted curse to be sure since she couldn’t see anything and stumbled over a lot of things. Especially since she couldn’t sit still, she needed to pace, move and be still all at the same time. 

Eventually she would develop a headache, one that grew worse and worse by the moment, accompanied by the irregular skipping of her heart. It left her breathless and vision blurry, and soon she was clinging to the side of the bed in an attempt to prevent herself from falling over. The sheer pain inside her head nearly overshadowed her nausea, nearly. An involuntary tear would escape from her eye - or would have had she not been so dehydrated from the fever..............

The 24th Hour: 

Iron, zinc, copper - copper being the one you can smell - iron and zinc could likely be tasted. Quin recited the minerals found in blood like she was reciting religious text. She was so damn thirsty, all she could think of was the red stuff running beneath her own skin. Remember the taste of Alistair’s, wonder what Ira’s would be like. She obsessed in her mind, like a desert adventurer would value water after running out days prior. She listed everything she knew about blood, and then listed it again. Sometimes she would say it aloud, just to see if it would help her feel better. The aching feeling in her throat was near to driving her insane, she would do just about anything to make it stop - make it go away! Just a little bit - no she wanted all of it. She stared at the blue lines running in her wrist and was tempted to slice them just so she could get at what she desired so desperately. She searched the room desperately, looking for something, anything that would help her get to it - but she had no luck at all. An agonized and frustrated grunt escaped her and she sank down to the floor, back leaning against the wall. 

At least she was used to the dark now, what was once a curse was a boon. Cocooning her in a gentle and comfortable darkness that she liked, though she usually loved to feel the sun on her face, she found solace in the darkness. Though she did feel caged up like an animal, locked away from polite society. Out of sight out of mind...... she would go back to reciting the components of blood again - maybe that would help her feel better........

The 36th Hour: 

Quin couldn’t sleep, she couldn’t stop thinking about sustenance, she hurt, her heart palpitating at such an erratic rate she thought she was going to have a heart attack at any moment. She was going to drop dead and not survive the process. Her arms bore scratch marks from her attempts at clawing her way to her own blood ..... a failed endeavor to be sure. One that left her feeling desperate, hopeless, completely helpless. She let out a pained cry and paced the room once again - what was a curious study when she didn’t feel deaths icy grip was now a prison. She wanted out, she wanted it to be over, she wanted to sleep to avoid the pain. She could do none of those things and any coherent thoughts she’d had about writing down her experience long fled. Quin was ever the Doctor, the scientist....however this - this was worse than dying. No sleep, no food, the darkness and the agony. Each breath was focused on making sure the next happened, so afraid of losing this battle was she. 

Reaching a new level of hopelessness, Quin curled up on the bed - a whimper escaped her. She just wanted it to end. All of it to end. She didn’t want to feel it anymore, none of it. She took a deep breath in and found herself momentarily soothed, the darkness wrapped around her like a cloak, the sheets silky beneath the hands that gripped it - and it all smelled of her sire. 

Quin’s eyes would eventually close, her mind drifting away to a different place........ 

15 hours later would find Quin in much the same position....except her fingers would be relaxed, entire body slack. Her face would hold none of the terrors or pain she’d suffered, skin paling to a lovely porcelain white. The Quin that was, for all intents and purposes, was dead to the world. 

@Twitterpated @Etched In Stone @HumanBean03 @Eternity @Greenmntman

Edited by DarkHorse

In over 300 years of living, this was perhaps the greatest challenge he'd ever faced. Prior to the progression of Quin's transformation to its later stages, he'd never considered how turning her would effect him. The occasional wave of phantom pains associated with more or less sharing a mind with the good Doctor. The more the transformation took, the more consistent their hive mind became. While enduring these random events throughout several hours, he still had the chateau to maintain; While still trying to more or less keep and actual eye on his room to be sure it remained undisturbed. Fortunately he'd been able to function without raising too much suspicion, though he paid himself mind to avoid direct contact with the likes of Martis, or even Ira.

Several times had he wanted to enter his room to console her, to coddle her into her final sleep. Several times he denied himself and her by extension, the right. It was better for her to endure this venture alone, or at least seemingly so. Not that he knew that was best from experience outside of his own. The Master having played no part in assisting him until the transformation was complete. Perhaps it was some sort of right of passage. Survive this alone, survive with me for eternity. When the final sleep finally found her, the Majordomo sighed in relief despite not having the ability to actually breath. Adjusting his fine threads, the redhead suddenly made himself scarily available as he tread through the house; If only to take a gander at what the others around the house were up to.

Regardless of his findings, Alistair had appropriately planned ahead for Quin's grand awakening. However, it suddenly became abundantly clear that she had found herself awake a couple hours earlier than he'd anticipated. That writhen grin found itself upon his face once more, his scarlet eyes darting to and fro rapidly as he maneuvered his way subtly back to his room. Ascending the awkward stairs beyond his door, the Elder found himself standing over Quin, whom had obviously taken to one of his shirts. His grin remained as he snickered, mostly to himself. His narrowed eyes settled on her, a gentle and unnecessary clearing of his throat came in the wake of their eyes making inevitable contact.

"Good morning Doctor. After all you've been through, I trust you've slept well? I must admit, you woke up quite a bit sooner than I'd like to have guessed. Not that I'm complaining."

@DarkHorse @Etched In Stone @HumanBean03 @Eternity @Greenmntman

Ira had wandered the castle, exploring the ins and outs of the residence for over a day and a half. He had grown restless, partially due to a growing lack of things to do, but also to a real worry about Quinn. Despite the vampires insistence that she was needing sleep and relaxation to get better, nobody was in bed this long without being very sick. His body might have been still considered in rough shape by others, still bearing the trademark aches and pains of recent battle, but they had at least mostly faded. Ira knew that two days was more than enough time to heal bruised ribs an minor cuts when he had done nothing more strenuous than walking. The castle grounds were enormous, and he must have seen all of it by now.

Now he had only needed to find Alistair. Prick bastard had been clearly dodging him. Ira wanted his arms and armor back, and if he was going to forced to be here, he wanted to make himself useful. 

Awareness clicked into Quin’s brain quite suddenly, like a light being turned on abruptly. For a moment she was overwhelmed by what she felt within her, so very different from what she used to be - yet so very much the same. Her brow furrowed as her mind continued to try and pull together the very overwhelming senses that surrounded her. Smell, touch, the two she could access for the moment were so crisp and clear and sharp. The silken shirt against her skin, crisp soft sheets beneath her sprawled limbs, the dusky scent that she knew to only belong to her Sire the only thing she could smell. She could swear Alistair was right there with her. But he wasn’t, not yet at least. Quin could sense his approach, right to the very stair he hovered over to get to her, the speed at which he walked - the proximity for when he got closer. 

It was then that lids opened over uniquely wonderful eyes, still silvery around the edges, fading and darkening as if they bled into a pool so vividly red they might have glowed - likely a sign of hunger more than anything. The first thing they locked onto was the face hovering over her, her sire. Had he always looked like that? He seemed so much clearer than before - little details so much more visible to her now. She was studying so intently that his polite little throat clearing was almost needed to draw her attention. Though all he had to do was speak and she would be riveted to attention. 

She would reward him with a smile and a comical stretch, like a cat waking from its nap. Fists curled gently as arms and legs stretched as far as they could go as she arched her back. The sheer feel of power within her limbs drew her attention away for just a moment before she remembered she was going to say something. 

“Best sleep I’ve ever had. I dare say I won’t need to sleep again for a long time.” A toothy grin revealed little fangs, not of an impressive size by any means, but they would work. 

Her smile grew for a moment as relief washed over her in torrents I made it through.  She’d done it, survived, made it to the other side - and now would the suffering end like he’d promised? She wasn’t so sure as a hunger ate away at the back of her throat. 

“I’m sorry I woke up a little early. I didn’t want to worry you over much about my inevitable death.” She joked, then turned more serious “ But I’m just so damn hungry.”  

"But of course."

There was no doubt in his mind that she'd be starving when she had finally arisen. Unfortunately, their options were rather limited. He couldn't risk leaving her unsupervised, lest he risk her killing Ira premature of serving useful in some manner. It wasn't impossible for a new blood to live feed, just very unlikely. Without being able to control the thirst, once she began to drink, any target would be dead within a few second. Naturally, the Bloody Mary was fresh on his mind; Though he hated the thought of Quin being spoon fed her first meal. His preferable option came as the grandiose idea that they go on a hunt together.

"Your hunger will have to fuel you for the moment. For you haven't an appropriate meal here. First we'll have to sneak out of the house, then we can find you a meal worth your while. Perhaps those Tian refugees are still camping on the outskirts of the Glen."

His grin refreshed. Even if they weren't, the two of them had the means to travel rather swiftly. Quin being the newblood having the temporary advantage on Alistair in terms of speed and strength. It should be a simple enough task to find travelers, or even to visit the nearest populated neighbor should the camp be empty by now. It was on the good Doctor if she questioned him about the Bloody Mary, though perhaps her subconscious mind shared the thoughts with his own that he simply wouldn't allow it. The hunt was half the thrill of this life, to most of their kind anyway.

"Perhaps we can even make a bit of a game out of it."

Sneaking? Oh how easy it would be to sneak out - at least she thought. It felt good to sneak again, something she’d done all too often in her younger years as a whores Doctor. Sneaking, stealing, picking locks and breaking magical barriers..... all things she did plenty of, but were often forgotten in light of her overbearing title of Doctor. Born into a world where she had to survive instead of thrive she learned to think in terms of not getting caught or at the very least, how to get out of trouble if she was. 

An excitement would light behind those peculiar eyes of hers, working a bit like a mood ring. Alistair tantalized her further with the promise of a game - he wanted to play a game? With her? Oh how it made her no longer beating heart pretend to flutter a little. A game AND a meal - two things that seemed so very lucrative to her and someone wanted to do them with her!

It was exciting really and she - 

She was standing faster than her mind could catch on that she was. Alistair’s overly large shirt hanging off of her, bared feet on the floor ...... all new sensations since she’d moved. It took her a second to catch her bearings as she blinked a bit, looking down at her pale legs and feet. She must have gotten so excited she leapt up.... 

Her mind wandered a moment as she flexed the muscles in her legs, merely feeling the difference in them since she’d woke. How different it was, so very much different, it overwhelmed her brain and her brow furrowed a moment. She used to be so weak so very weak and useless.....how much had she struggled to find that what she clung to so very much was weakness itself? Excitement warred with the dangerous insanity that lurked just beneath the surface, held back by a very fine thread.....an undercurrent of calm in her tumultuous brain. Something she never possessed before.  Quin would grasp onto that calm that lay deep in her and use it to steer herself away from those damning thoughts. 

When she thought she’d calmed herself she looked up at Alistair and tipped her head slightly out of curiosity - “What kind of game?” 

Caution laced her words, while she was no longer human and he was her Sire - she hadn’t forgotten that his games often included sending her reeling for hours on end with his antics.  Would that be different now that she wasn’t so fragile?  

Am I allowed to at least wear pants for this game or do I have to stalk refugees in your shirt?” She decided to smile, though it was a wary one, a protected one, “While I am sure it is every man’s best nightmare to be stalked and killed by a half naked woman with pointy teeth, that’s not really my idea of fun.” 

The image did make her smile a little more genuine from the sheer morbid humor in it but she.........

Was on the other side of the room before she’d even thought about pacing. It was her habit to pace when she was hungry, even as a human, but how she’d crossed the room so quickly was beyond her. She blinked again, lifted a foot and took a step - just one. Then another and another until she’d stiffly walked back over to Alistair and stood there, back as straight as she could make it. She was very much unaware of herself at this moment in time and resisted the urge to look at her hands to see if they were even really hers. 

Perhaps sneaking would be harder than she thought...... She couldn’t look at Alistair for a moment since she was thinking - hard. Trying to be more aware of her body and its movements. She bit her lip - another habit - and her tooth pricked it, causing it to bleed slightly before healing itself. Yes it would be best if they could get out of the Chateau for a time - at least she would have Alistair to stop her before she ran half way across the continent on accident. 

“So..... about those pants....” 

Edited by DarkHorse

Perhaps game was a poor choice of wording on his part. Wager was a more appropriate term, though a game it could be claimed as all the same. He refrained from answering the rhetorical question regardless, for she knew the answer of what sort of game they'd be playing. The killing kind. Though of course, putting a spin on such a tragic happening made it that much more entertaining. Not that he ever felt bad for doing what he had to to survive, nor did he expect the Doctor to be any different.

"Whomever can claim the most lives without getting caught is the victor, in which they get to decide how to break the news of your turning to the house. Of course, I must be the one to confront the Master of it upon his return. Lucky for us he's sent word that they've decided to make another stop prior to returning home."

”Am I allowed to at least wear pants for this game or do I have to stalk refugees in your shirt?” She decided to smile, though it was a wary one, a protected one, “While I am sure it is every man’s best nightmare to be stalked and killed by a half naked woman with pointy teeth, that’s not really my idea of fun.”

"It's all fun and games being born into a coven dear, though you'll learn soon enough that seduction will be your greatest asset when it comes to hunting. Especially until you learn to curb your appetite enough for live feeding."

Not that she needed to be half naked to accomplish seducing anyone, though it reasoned in his mind that if the shirt was perhaps dirtied up a bit, torn in a few places and splattered with blood...she'd make a convincing victim to some strangers, in which he'd pretend to be her blood thirsty predator. Easily they could claim a dozen lives within a half hour at best, he was certain of it.

“So..... about those pants....”

"You're a grown woman, find some for yourself. You're more than welcome to raid my wardrobe, though I doubt you'll find my slack comfortable. I may be your Master, but you'll also learn that you don't need my permission to do...well, anything."

As dangerous as it might be to remind a newblood of their free will, mostly free anyway, he felt it was only proper to not create the unhealthy habit of having to give her permission to live comfortably. As she'd no doubt get to finding herself clothing, he'd continue to watch her and speak to her; He'd continue to admire what he'd currently claim as his life's greatest work having failed to make children with his dearest Stella.

"Conventional drugs and spirits may no longer effect you, though I should warn you that blood drunk is a real thing. Be weary of your limit or you'll find yourself back on the slippery slope you referred to in your mortality as addiction."

Her own free will, oh the trouble that will stir up for Alistair. Luckily for him, Quin was a rebellious sort when she felt strongly about something. It certainly will prove interesting when that free will was being unleashed in the most inopportune moments. The quirk with Quin however, was that she had a much baser need to belong - that alone kept her under control most days..... most. That restraint never lasted when it came to those she made important to her, it was all to obvious when she came fully prepared to overdose all the serum she'd made into her leg. All just so Ira wouldn't become Vampire fodder. 

Her finger tapped her lip as she thought about the challenge set before her. It took all she possessed not to laugh at the very idea she could seduce anyone. If that was her only means of getting food Quin would likely starve. Even as Alistair talked about it she had to bite her lip to keep the smirk from cracking her features. She didn't want to look disrespectful or anything like that.... she would have better luck seducing a rock than a human. Quin was the bastard daughter of two nobodies, not even pretty enough to be sold to an entertainment house. Not even the whores would use her as a whore. The way Quin saw it, she was about as non attractive as a person could be, it didn't matter how dolled up she got, she would always be plain.  Again she wanted to laugh, just imagining her attempting much of anything seductive. So she covered it by looking around Alistair's room. 

She knew his clothes wouldn't fit, being nothing more than an emaciated wisp left not many options. Not even her own clothes fit all too well. Quin was instead using the time to practice walking at a normal rate, get used to the changes in her legs and relearn what it meant to walk instead of blast her way from one side of the room to the other. All the while she thought, Alistair's warning about being blood drunk waved of with a simple yeah yeah. Quin had no intention of going back to being addicted to anything, that wouldn't help her stay free of torment at all. 

Quin would have to go to her own room to get some clothing, just down the hall from her room was a locked door that she happened to know ran right out into the courtyard. How did she know? She'd picked the lock ages ago to see where it went, there was hardly a locked door that hadn't been picked by her at some point. She didn't do it to sneak places, she did it to prove they couldn't keep her out. The difficulty lay in getting to her room, which would require her to have a little more control and self restraint over her movements. 

"There is nothing seductive about me and we both know it." She said, "If that is my only meal ticket I am going to starve." 

She wasn't saying it to hear the contrary, Quin was merely presenting what she saw as fact. She walked around a little more until she could feel the smoothness return to her gait. Time was needed for her to adjust, but it was as good as it was going to get for the moment. 

"I'm going to have to sneak to my room. I have some things there that I am sure fit just fine." A smirk formed, "Then I have a quick way out from there. And since I have my own free will -" 

Quin zipped down the stairs quicker than she intended, skidding to a stop just before she smacked into the door. Looking over her shoulder she didn't bother to pay attention to if he was following or not. 

"You can either come with me, or meet me in the courtyard." 

He hadn't said she was required to stay in the room to find pants, he just said she could if she wanted to. Quite frankly she would have lived in his shirt if given the opportunity, the material nicer than anything that ever graced her skin. Unfortunately that would have to be a secondary quest for her as there was a challenge to win. How nice to finally best Alistair in something - anything! 

Quiet as she could, Quin slipped from the room and down the hallway. Disappointingly it wasn't all too hard to sneak unnoticed to her room, the distance from Alistair's much shorter than she expected. Regardless, once she was in she shimmied out of the overly large shirt with a small note of regret. Donning her own clothing and her doctors coat didn't take all too long, humans always trusted doctors - they were trained to. So if the quest was not to get caught - well why not hide in plain sight? 

"There is nothing seductive about me and we both know it." She said, "If that is my only meal ticket I am going to starve."

"My dear you haven't the slightest idea."

One of the Vampire's greatest assets we their Glamour. Coupled with their Hypnotism or Vampiric Oppression, seduction was simply a term of perception. She could appear as beautifully as she wished to, she could simply look into the eyes of her target; Regardless of if she spoke or not. His hand reached up and affectionately cupped her cheek before he sensually smooth his thumb across her lips. A lick of his own lips later, he refreshed his grin once more.

"I'm going to have to sneak to my room. I have some things there that I am sure fit just fine." A smirk formed, "Then I have a quick way out from there. And since I have my own free will -"

"!?"

When she suddenly zipped away, he zipped after her. While his prime age afforded him great speeds, there was never comparing to the prowess of a newblood. For at least the next few months she'd be able to out pace him, none the less he'd best keep up with her. After all, she was currently still his best kept secret.

"You can either come with me, or meet me in the courtyard."

"Meet me in the courtyard. Don't approach me if I'm not alone. If we must slip out separately I'll meet you in the labyrinth."

Once she zipped off again, Alistair smooth over his clothing and seemingly sighed in some relief. Casual yet swift, he strolled through the house as if it were any other time of any other day. He moved with practiced purpose, proof of his experience as the Majordomo. So long as he was left unperturbed, he'd make it effortlessly out to the courtyard where he'd wait ever so patiently for the Good Doctor to return to his company. Sneaking out was the hard part, for even if they weren't followed, being seen was enough to jeopardize the integrity of this dirty little secret.

Though she was dressed, Quin had to take a moment to collect herself. Her mind replaying the all too brief moment that just transpired. Phantom fluttering where her heart used to be seemed so strange to her. 

Affection starved and used to being alone, Quin had to grapple with having been touched in such an intimate way. No doubt Alistair was trying to teach her some form of lesson about seduction. It had nothing to do with feeling anything towards her.

"My dear you haven't the slightest idea."

The words floated though her head as she closed her eyes for a moment. The scene playing out again in her head briefly......

No.....No. Quin played and lost at that game before. Badly. She stopped herself from thinking about it again and slapped at her cheeks. Get a grip girl. We aren’t doing this again. 

With a stern shake she promised herself she wouldn’t dwell any longer on the moment. Instead she tucked it away for when she would do doubt end up alone again. Only to be pulled out when she needed something nice to think on. 

Pressing an ear to her door, Quin listened to make sure there was no one around. Satisfied she heard no one, she slipped out of her room and to the locked door. 

A smirk graced her face as she pulled out her lock picks and expertly had the door open in a matter of seconds. The heightened sense of touch made it so much easier. No doubt she could infuse some magic into it and not even need the pick - a venture for another day. 

She slipped down the narrow, dark stairs and out the door at the bottom. It let out just shy of the courtyard. A forgotten door covered with ivy and other growth.....something Quin had a hand in. She liked her ‘secret’ exit and kept its exit hidden. 

Peeking around there was no one in sight. So strange for a place that she normally had at least one vamp up her ass for some reason or another. 

Alistair’s back was to her, presenting a tempting and not so hard on the eyes target. The lithe vamp again trying to stir up something that Quin best thought left for dead inside herself. Perhaps it was because he was her Master? Inwardly she shook herself again and gave a stern chastisement. 

His turned back did prove a most perfect stalking target......what better opportunity to get some practice in? 

It took a moment of deliberation before she remembered their success relied on stealth. She let out an inward groan, the opportunity would have to slide. Didn’t mean it wasn’t painful to let it though.

Quin walked quickly to him and was sure not to leap on him like she really wanted to.  

“Shall we go?” She asked brightly. 

She was wise for figuring out just how poor of an idea trying to jump on him would have been. Between his enhanced hearing, and what was essentially bat like sonar, sneaking up on him was nigh impossible. Even with invisibility, a keen vampire could easily detect what wished not to be. Especially another Vampire. She was still adjusting to her new senses. By the time she finished her first meal, she'd be keen on that which eluded her still in this moment. She'd also come to notice that the more well fed she was, the closer she was to her personal peak condition. Likewise, that a lack of sustenance warrants a severe dampening of said condition. 

“Shall we go?”

"We shall...I'll race you!"

Swiftly he place his foot behind her heel and shoved his hand into her shoulder to knock her off balance, likely before she could even register that he was in such a playful mood and challenging her to a race! Regardless of how she received his attempt to trip her and get an unfair head start, he dashed off into the labyrinth; Due West-Northwest. While several miles by the dozens separated them from the refugee camp at the edge of the Glen, these preternatural creatures should easily arrive their in a matter of minutes as opposed to a human taking hours or days to traverse such a great distance by foot. The good doctor wanted a good chance to stretch and burn some energy, and now was her chance to do just that. He couldn't imagine how she'd react when she realized the lack of natural reactions from her body that came with her new lifestyle.

That crafty Alistair tripped her to gain an unfair start! The thought didn't even register until she was nearly flat on her ass from the surprise at being shoved over with that foot behind her heel. Catching herself at the last minute Quin darted forward, relishing in the speed in which she gained as she used those powerful legs of hers. Old man needed the head start just for it to be fair. It wouldn't take her long to catch up  - and then surpass him in the maze. Otto even decided to join in the fun, crashing and howling as he wove a path of destruction far behind them. 

It was amazing really, she could run and never need to catch her breath. In fact she could taunt her competition as she passed him - and in fact did. 

"Try and keep up old man." She shot over her shoulder as she left him in her dust. 

Quin used the briefest moment of her time to wonder if she would stay this fast or if eventually she too would become slower. In the mean time, it was an advantage to be able to out run him - that way he couldn't get his hands on her if she misbehaved. Not that she was planning to ..... immediately..... Quin was likely to weave a path of destruction in discovering herself.  A venture she never bothered with as a human, why even try when reduced to a nameless number after being an exulted war hero. 

The tent city loomed ahead and grew larger with every step she took. Colors upon colors of mismatched tents stood in a haphazard pattern, circling outwards from a big open ring in the center of them all. A haze of fog hovered just above the ground, obscuring the tents and people in a eerie glow. The sounds of laughing, shouting, talking echoed around the glen. Pots and pans clanked, horses whinnied, children screamed and yelled. But above it all was the most wonderful smells - blood. Lots of it - so much of it Quin's jaw hurt from the lowering of fangs in her mouth. 

Initially she planned to saunter in pretending to be a doctor, secure herself a tent and let the carnage begin. All simple, easy, quick....but now she wasn't so sure. Hunger ate at her with desperation, she felt starved and all she could think about was easing it - making it better. 

Quin dug her heels into the ground and skidded to a halt as she neared the tent city. Close enough to observe, but far enough away to not be noticed. Trepidation twisted her mind and her stomach threatened to revolt out of hunger. There was no way she wasn't going to get caught - how could she when she could barely control herself? Squaring her shoulders the Doctor steeled herself the way she always  did when faced with a near impossible task. 

Quin my dear girl, you are going to keep a tight leash on yourself. For one -you are hungry and if they all run away you wont fix that, for two - beating Alistair would be just so damn satisfying. 

He chuckled as she passed him rather easily, a grin remaining on his face as he raced to keep up as opposed to catching up. Not that it was necessarily an easier task, just a more reasonable goal to aim for. The two of them found less and less natural activity the closer they grew to that tent city. Already he could hear the hustle and bustle of their makeshift lives, the cacophony of their hearts that created a symphony all their own. He could feel the warmth of their camp radiating against his frigid frame the closer they grew. Where Alistair would have began to slow his speed, Quin barreled ever so closer to the camp. His eyes grew wide as he spoke to her through their mind. 'You might want to slow down dear, clearly you've won the race.' What came next however required more than just belligerent speed.

Whether she listened to him or not, Alistair slowed to a temporary halt. He smoothed out the fabrics of his clothing and raked his fingers through his hair before continuing to advance on the tent city. So far, from what he could tell, there was at least no signs of the Tian Vampires among the refugees. In his eyes, that was going to make things that much easier. Regardless of how swift or messy she got, Alistair was less concerned about competing with her, and more concerned about facilitating guardianship without holding her hand on her first hunt. Still, that didn't mean he wouldn't eat while he was at it. After all, he had to maintain his strength even more now that he was responsible for another.

Quin looked around at hearing Alistair in her mind, her pace already slowed but clearly not slow enough. When she realized he wasn't anywhere near her she gave pause.... did it work both ways? Could she communicate back? an eyebrow raised and her face scrunched up for a moment as she thought back at him, something very much along the lines of a very disappointed 'alright.' Not that she didn't get satisfaction out of being faster than him, but because she was being chastised to slow down instead of barreling into the tent city and devouring it. 

Hungry eyes finally found where Alistair was, walking towards the tent city - calm and poised as he please. Walking was a challenge. When she could go so fast, she had no clue how her legs worked properly.....walking was suddenly difficult. So for a long few moments she paced until she thought she had it right. Then, one foot in front of the other, she simply walked right into the city - disappearing between two tents like a stray alley cat. Strange how familiar this action seemed to be. It was reminiscent of her days as a Whore's doctor....sneaking in and out of houses, sticking to alleys where she couldn't offend anyone with her presence - even though those very upper class swine were the ones calling on her to diagnose their Genova sickness. 

Then it occurred to her - everyone trusted a doctor! She didn't need seduction when she had the power of medical science! Success was guaranteed if she fell into her Dr. Nash mode, seductive Nash.....Quin suppressed a shiver - that was a failure waiting to happen. 

Rounding a corner she paused, a man - just coming out of a tent was visible - Quin's hungered state drove her to strike before her brain could register. The man disappeared around the corner quicker than he emerged from the tent - his body flung some feet behind Quin, his arm still dangling from her hand. Blood was splattered everywhere, the force so great with which she tugged him that he never even had the chance to make a sound. 

"Shit." She quietly cussed, tossing it aside. 

He didn't smell good dead. So she would have to find another mark, quickly she moved on, leaving behind the mess. Now she was hungry and frustrated. She'd planned on just marching in, pretending to be a doctor and eating them all one by one! But her damned stomach didn't catch the memo. So aggravating. 

A sound caught her attention - it was a woman, she was seemingly alone - washing some dishes. Oh yes, this would be perfect! Her back was to Quin, she just had to sneak up behind.....damn she could be quiet.....and open her mouth....grab the woman's head and.....scrak.  

Quin grabbed too hard and crushed her skull, now she was really irritated! She hadn't even grabbed her that hard! Now she didn't smell tasty either! She let go, disgusted and the body crumpled to the ground. Maybe she should try to seduce someone....... no there was no time for that! She was hungry! A noise sent her scurrying away from the sight, thankful the city was so chaotic it wasn't likely to be noticed immediately. She wasn't careful about where she was going though and she barreled into a man carrying some heavy baskets. 

Baskets and man went flying - Quin managed a convincing flop and a groan. 

"Oh ma'am so sorry!" He was quick to help her. 

It was the perfect opportunity - but - there were so many people around this time! How to get him alone.....she couldn't just bite him here - it would start a riot. 

"A-are you a doctor?!" He seemed excited. 

"I am." She answered silkily, "I am indeed a doctor...." 

He said something she pretended not to hear - it was too noisy she signaled - she didn't know what he was saying.....and he did the incredible. Lead her to a quieter space where he could speak. 

There is something to be said about giving in to instinct. For some it is easier than other, for Quin it was as natural as breathing. Used to living on sheer instinct for survival as a human, it made it much easier for her beast mind to take over. Pupils dilating until her eyes were nothing but red, the man going blank in the face, tilting his head just a little and - ahhhh such sweet and tasty bliss! She drank and drank and drank until there suddenly wasn't any more. Dragging him where he wouldn't be found any time soon, she continued to prowl. Having some success she managed to sate her thirst, but it was mostly failure - bloody messy failure. A crushed skull here, a torn limb there, a small tousle with an under equip guard. She ended up nicked, he ended up eviscerated before she could drink him, by this point some alarm had been raised within the city and Quin stuck to skulking in the shadows and attempting to strike from there. 

Edited by DarkHorse

There was no surprise in how fast the fledgling was learning, mastering the hunt. Though the process was a sloppy one at best. Half way across the tent city from her, Alistair found himself with a soldier of some sort, in which the poor soul never saw his untimely demise coming. Assaulting the man from behind, Alistair preternaturally yanked his head to the side before sinking his fangs into the man's neck. Without spilling even a single drop of blood, he proceeded to drink the man dry in likeliness to a large toddler with a juice box! Within seconds he was drained completely, and Alistair hauled his corpse into a vacant tent. It was here that he'd begin to set up distraction for his fledgling, dividing the air of concern so that they might stay off of her trail long enough to keep her from being spotted. The easiest thing to do was to set this very tent on fire. And so he did just that.

Focusing on one of the tent's walls, his mind gripped the very molecules of it's existence. Forcing the molecules to frenzy, they moved with great haste; Accelerating as they rubbed against one another creating friction. A friction that inevitably inspired combustion, setting the wall aflame without physically interacting with it at all. By the time the flame was noticed, the tent would at least be half way engulfed; In which Alistair would be long gone by the time anyone came to investigate or even douse the flames. His eyes turned more red thanks to his fresh feed. Though there was more to be drank if he wished to perform at his peak capability. He waited until he heard the shouts and screams of panic, regardless of if they were inspired by the trail his fledgling left, or the flame he'd started in that tent just moment ago. Either way, the tent city began to raise into panic. 

When the the crowds began to gather and panic over the bodies being left scattered about, and the flame that threatened to spread throughout their camp, Alistair clung to the shadows and searched about for the largest and easiest target he would hit tonight. The Infirmary. He was shocked that Quin hadn't bee lined for such a place, though he was prepared to set the stage there for her now. The living flocked away from the sick and the dying, leaving at best a doctor and a couple of nurses to be concerned about. Alistair would have to take great strides to be sure he accounted for all of the living entering and leaving what was likely one of the largest tents in the entire encampment. 'Meet me where the broken and the damned reside, there's more fun to be had yet. At your convenience of course.'