Meraxa

A Cure For What Aleth You (Interest Check - Enrele)

While one would hardly call it the talk of the town, a particular subject of conversation has come up with increasing frequency among the people of Casper, especially among those that pass by the Lightning Rail on their way to and from work. Namely, that of the weirdo who often hangs around outside the station, telling portents of imminent doom and despair. Perhaps not such an unusual sight these days, but uh, he's a bit more specific than most. He speaks, with difficulty, of an Enrele hivemind - Aleth - and its growing power; its grip upon the city of Dougton. He shows what he claims is the pulped, decaying remains of one such parasite, as long as the human spine. He pleads with the people that largely ignore him, saying that Aleth's power is growing, and he needs allies with which to fight it.

Most just wonder if it may be that rumoured murderer that Dougton are after. Without fast travel between the two cities these days, it's hard to say; the exact description is distorted. The man disappears after a while, perhaps evading local law enforcement, but he returns the next day, speaking ill omen once again, even as he looks increasingly tired and worn for wear. It would seem he has planted himself at the Lightning Rail, hoping that someone, from however far afield, may listen to him...!

Will you?

So this here is a formal interest check and/or planning thread for a potential assault on the Enrele Hivemind, Aleth. Argi's experiences in the matter, which he would relay to anyone willing to ask, can be found here:

For those unfamiliar, Aleth is the largest of the Enrele hiveminds; in-universe, last year, it was estimated to have compromised 2.5 million people, and was likeliest to grow so vast as to have such latent psychic will that it could compete with a genius loci. That is scheduled to happen this year, and there's only so many months left. So, might be worth nipping in the bud, even if the means to do so are about as subtle as a sack of hammers. As this is being arranged informally, unless someone with a big backer steps in, the chief reward here would be much less tangible than existential. It's do or die.

So... any takers?

Count me in!

I'd like to involve Caeceila Glasmann and, most likely, a number of her associates in this affair.  If a big backer offering a reward would draw more participants and Caeceila is suitable for this role, Caeceila can offer some sort of reward to mercenaries, bounty hunters, and any other participating parties, good or evil.  Heck, if your character is from a distant land and wouldn't be able to participate even though you'd like to throw them into this, feel free to declare that Caeceila hired them and paid for their trip to Dougton.  I'm open to suggestions on the forms such a reward would take, and I think it'd be cool to quickly negotiate these rewards IC.

6 hours ago, The Alexandrian said:

Count me in!

I'd like to involve Caeceila Glasmann and, most likely, a number of her associates in this affair.  If a big backer offering a reward would draw more participants and Caeceila is suitable for this role, Caeceila can offer some sort of reward to mercenaries, bounty hunters, and any other participating parties, good or evil.  Heck, if your character is from a distant land and wouldn't be able to participate even though you'd like to throw them into this, feel free to declare that Caeceila hired them and paid for their trip to Dougton.  I'm open to suggestions on the forms such a reward would take, and I think it'd be cool to quickly negotiate these rewards IC.

I was thinking that if there was enough interest for ironing out details before people set out, then yeah, we could do that IC, including what exactly 'the plan' is.

4 hours ago, Vilhardt said:

A chance to go up against something on par with a genius loci? Yea, I'm in lol.

3 hours ago, Thotification said:

I guess the Mistress wouldn't mind lending a hand...and her sister from the OFM

Thanks for the interest guys. I am considering a possible pace requirement, just so things don't hold up like our other thread.

2 minutes ago, Meraxa said:

In all likelihood, yes.

sweet. i'm always looking for a good opportunity to work on my RP battling skills. i won't be needing any rewards except if that reward was a sword of legendary or supreme quality

1 minute ago, Dauner Light said:

sweet. i'm always looking for a good opportunity to work on my RP battling skills. i won't be needing any rewards except if that reward was a sword of legendary or supreme quality

Dougton is famed for its swordsmen, so while legendary blades are a question mark, you never know what you might face

21 hours ago, Yorgie said:

Okay, so I have little experience in roleplaying, would you mind me joining in on this one? As a beginner? If you'll allow me to do this, that would be awesome.

19 hours ago, danzilla3 said:

I'm in, if you'll have me.

While we're getting sizable, this could get fairly epic as a result. Will be working on an opening post after I wake up!