Meraxa

A Cure For What Aleth You (Interest Check - Enrele)

5 minutes ago, Dauner Light said:

Does that mean that Aya, Shishi and her sister will all feel that pain Cae was talking about and Aya will lose her psychic abilities?

That's what I was thinking...now I can't wait to make a post....XD

I don't really get the chance to roleplay this kind of weird stuff....

34 minutes ago, Dauner Light said:

Does that mean that Aya, Shishi and her sister will all feel that pain Cae was talking about and Aya will lose her psychic abilities?

So much worse. She'll lose them temporarily, but Cae just damaged Aya's psionic inhibitor- which will slowly lose power and eventually turn off entirely.

The thought seems a bit unlikely, to be weak against psionic ability, and an anti-psionic wavelength, when a species built to 'adapt' to it's short comings would clearly compensate. I had an idea of the same concept, but rather than a focused wavelength, one would assume that they're weak to a sporadic, fluctuation of binary wavelength. That as is to say, you'd overload the hive mind with a load of constantly changing waves, preventing it from adapting and essentially causing it to introvert it's focus and attention away from the infected. Overload it with information it cannot process fast enough, halting function like a program.

Edited by Vilhardt

I can has infinity modulator for use against Borg-rele?  😲

As far as I'm aware, those pulses should function like limited reality anchors.  It's not really changing the Enrele as much as it is changing the environment.  Since it isn't an attack on the Enrele, per se, they shouldn't be able to adjust to it.  It is, as I understand it, a highly specialized burst of antimagic coupled with arcane resonance, but I might be getting all of the details wrong.

I wanted it to be the same stuff that was used in Two if by Sea.  I imagine that the reason it hasn't been used against the Enrele onscreen is that it's difficult and time-consuming to manufacture or something.

I took the liberty of applying the negative response one of the LoD psychers experienced to the pulse itself.

If someone's psychic abilities are "deactivated," I don't believe it would have any effect on them.  Caeceila, for instance, is kind of like a psychic, but she wouldn't be affected because her psionics are "switched off."

I'm not certain if the Enrele can "switch off" their telepathic connection to their respective hiveminds, so this one might be in constant pain.  The other bit working against the Enrele is that, by definition, they can't access the experiences of an Enrele that has been isolated from them and would not be able to use its experience to soup themselves up.

Therefore, if all of the Enrele in the vicinity are executed, turned to stone, or otherwise rendered incapable of "phoning home," their ability to adapt to the weaponry, or lack thereof, is probably inconsequential (probably).

Edited by The Alexandrian

And so Shishi and her sister founded Terrenus's first social networking site.

Also, the following is an excerpt from one of amenities's posts that addresses the effects of the anti-psion/anti-psionic ordinance.

After about two seconds a wailing scream resounded from all three of orbs that would tear the eardrums of anything listening and disorient them in a fashion akin to receiving a concussion. The second effect of the anti-psion grenades was that all psionic activity upon the beach would be nullified for the next five-to-ten minutes. This meant that even the fog burst into a fine rain as the projectiles discharged.

I replaced the "bang" with the equivalent of a spray bottle for those with hearts set on bending da rules.  Maybe it'd manifest as an intense migraine or a nasty hangover-ish feeling or even something entirely different for different individuals.  Ultimately, whatever advances the story is cool with me.

Edited by The Alexandrian

8 minutes ago, The Alexandrian said:

And so Shishi and her sister founded Terrenus's first social networking site.

We did? I was thinking more on how the enrele would be able to connect through non-psionic/telepathic means like say magical, spiritual, em waves or as many techno-babble as possible... but hey...social networking looks cool too...

I dunno, the problem still seems to be that wavelengths can easily negate eachother. With this in play, I'd assume that something with psionic power strong enough to connect and control countless minds which are all emitting and recieving waves between constantly (approaching the strength of a Genius Loci in scope), would have no issue producing a large scale counter wave unless the waves were alternating through different frequency constantly. If this wasn't the case then identifying and seperating the actual chemical link between host and hive mind would be as simple as passing the correct vibrations through one's form. Any form of actual 'resonance' would require all resonant wavelengths to be precisely attuned (We're talking in total alignment to form synchronization, and avoid possibly catastrophic result) and would actually amplify both wavelengths, not just one. Plus like... Anti magic resonating with the arcane is ummm... Just no. Fire and ice combining make steam despite constant variable, not more fire or ice, by example.

In short, using wavelengths seems like the go-to here, to cut the Enrele off from their hosts, but you'd want waves that pass through or around eachother, not opposite or positive forces which collide or combine. For narrative sake, this might vary depending on specific hive minds, requiring different types of waves for each. I favor this idea myself, but it needs ironing out to actually apply IC without contradicting the ways it would work.

Edited by Vilhardt

@Vilhardt

That and we have to give credit for the Hivemind as well. It is approaching the genus loci level so I doubt something simple like this anti-psionic bomb would be that effective. That is kind of why we can't take control of one of them enrele possessed creatures. As a wise man once said, "The Enrele are powerful, horrifying, and competent and I hope they'll be played as such during this campaign."

I wonder if an artifact that suppresses supernatural abilities could produce the same suppression effect....

Edited by Thotification

2 minutes ago, Thotification said:

@Vilhardt

That and we have to give credit for the Hivemind as well. It is approaching the genus loci level so I doubt something simple like this anti-psionic bomb would be that effective. That is kind of why we can't take control of one of them enrele possessed creatures.

I wonder if an artifact that suppresses supernatural abilities would produce the same suppression effect....

Sooooo.... Make someone being controlled use Aya's inhibitor! Got it! (preferably when it's not damaged)

Unless we're talking about an officially made and approved by supernal artifact... then we're all on our own.

5 minutes ago, Priestess said:

Sooooo.... Make someone being controlled use Aya's inhibitor! Got it! (preferably when it's not damaged)

Unless we're talking about an officially made and approved by supernal artifact... then we're all on our own.

Sadly, it's from another continent but I think artifacts are probably standardized by now. That said, I'm not going to whip it out if its abilities would conflict with the set narrative. 😂😂😂

Edited by Thotification

I honestly think that the bombs would work in this case since it's allegedly a surprise attack, and the Yuuja's eye(s) is(are) underwater. 

Since the attack's a surprise, it'd be difficult to react in time. Since the eyes are underwater, the light reflecting from the bombs, and whatever writing/markings on them as a result, would be distorted, making it difficult to identify the exact type of ordinance being deployed. Those combined, reaction time to create a counter-measure might be so little it may as well be 0. 

There's also the possibility of a delay, depending on the medium through which psychic messages are delivered and the range they're coming from- so even if the hivemind "turns up the power" to send a signal strong enough to punch through Cae's bombs, it could have a considerable delay before it reaches the kraken.

This would also imply that they're smart enough to anticipate certain (but not all) moves, since they're have to send commands ahead of time and anticipate reactions to those commands.

To put it plainly, we'd want to concentrate and amplify, or rearrange these anti psionic waves to overcome and knock out the hive mind temporarily, trap it in a state of dormancy with alternating wave pattern, and then use the laws of magic to create spell resonance between psionic party members (because magic is stronger in groups) to pretty much fight it inside it's own mind.