Meraxa

A Cure For What Aleth You (Interest Check - Enrele)

Just now, Vilhardt said:

To put it plainly, we'd want to concentrate and amplify, or rearrange these anti psionic waves to overcome and knock out the hive mind temporarily, trap it in a state of dormancy with alternating wave pattern, and then use the laws of magic to create spell resonance between psionic party members (because magic is stronger in groups) to pretty much fight it inside it's own mind.

An alternative, and much less convoluted sounding idea, is letting Aya use a divine curse on the monster to make it frenzy. Even if the hivemind's connected to it, they'd have a difficult time controlling it- which can create many openings.

As for Aya's magic effectiveness, her magic functions somewhat differently from the norm. She's actually completely incapable of using magic, natively. Her staff channels the power of her deity through it, and into the world around it. Aya acts as a focus, giving that power direction. The "fuel" for her magic is the light around her, making her spells appear black (since light is being absorbed instead of reflected). In short, her magic won't be **as** harshly effected as the average mage. She should be able to frenzy the Yuuja with a sufficient incantation, which gives the rest of you guys a chance to do your own fancy stuff.

4 minutes ago, Priestess said:

I honestly think that the bombs would work in this case since it's allegedly a surprise attack, and the Yuuja's eye(s) is(are) underwater. 

Since the attack's a surprise, it'd be difficult to react in time. Since the eyes are underwater, the light reflecting from the bombs, and whatever writing/markings on them as a result, would be distorted, making it difficult to identify the exact type of ordinance being deployed. Those combined, reaction time to create a counter-measure might be so little it may as well be 0. 

There's also the possibility of a delay, depending on the medium through which psychic messages are delivered and the range they're coming from- so even if the hivemind "turns up the power" to send a signal strong enough to punch through Cae's bombs, it could have a considerable delay before it reaches the kraken.

This would also imply that they're smart enough to anticipate certain (but not all) moves, since they're have to send commands ahead of time and anticipate reactions to those commands.

I agree, the psionic bombs would work temporarily as a weapon IMO. But you'd expect the Enrele to expect it in the near future. I don't believe it was intended as a long term solution, and only chimed in to explain the thoughts I've had over the last week, in conjunction with the idea, to be as cohesive as possible.

5 minutes ago, Priestess said:

An alternative, and much less convoluted sounding idea, is letting Aya use a divine curse on the monster to make it frenzy. Even if the hivemind's connected to it, they'd have a difficult time controlling it- which can create many openings.

As for Aya's magic effectiveness, her magic functions somewhat differently from the norm. She's actually completely incapable of using magic, natively. Her staff channels the power of her deity through it, and into the world around it. Aya acts as a focus, giving that power direction. The "fuel" for her magic is the light around her, making her spells appear black (since light is being absorbed instead of reflected). In short, her magic won't be **as** harshly effected as the average mage. She should be able to frenzy the Yuuja with a sufficient incantation, which gives the rest of you guys a chance to do your own fancy stuff.

I was talking about the Enrele hive mind with my last suggestion, not the Yuuja. My apologies for the confusion.

Using what we have learned regarding the Enrele. We may have wasted the potential of these anti-psionic bombs. We'll lose the surprise factor next time we use it and if they are like cockroaches they would have adapted to it. 😂

Could we confirm if the hivemind is directly controlling the yuuja? Or is it just connected? 

6 minutes ago, Thotification said:

Also a wise man once said, "The Enrele are powerful, horrifying, and competent and I hope they'll be played as such during this campaign."

The enrele managed to take over 2,000,000+ people, and are controlling them all at once. They also managed to take over a colossal lovecraftian horror, and are able to control it. They found a work-around to make it harder to detect members of their hivemind, and if someone directly interfaced with one of those members (such as mind reading), that person would more-than-likely have their head implode OR be taken over as part of the hivemind.

I don't see how we're going against the "powerful, horrifying, and competent" part of their nature? If temporarily disabling them with a method that they'd likely adapt to in future encounters goes against that, then this species was designed to only be countered by the gods themselves.

Edit: That sounded much ruder than I intended it to, and I apologize for that.

Edited by Priestess

17 minutes ago, Thotification said:

Using what we have learned regarding the Enrele. We may have wasted the potential of these anti-psionic bombs. We'll lose the surprise factor next time we use it and if they are like cockroaches they would have adapted to it. 😂

Could we confirm if the hivemind is directly controlling the yuuja? Or is it just connected? 

The surprise factor would be up, you'd assume. Fortunately this party consists of two of what I would consider as some of the brightest minds in the industry of magitech. Once we collect data IC, we can develop an alternating frequency which can bypass safeguards by slipping in unexpected variables in transmission.

I'd assume it's just connected, but this may be incorrect.

Edited by Vilhardt

🤔 Let's hope it works...that said I would still hold on to the words of that wise man...., "The Enrele are powerful, horrifying, and competent and I hope they'll be played as such during this campaign."

I doubt a simple alternating frequency would be that affective against a GENIUS LOCI thingy 😂😂😂

Edited by Thotification

23 minutes ago, danzilla3 said:

I thought this was gonna be a big quest, but we're just gonna detonate a mind bomb and call it a day?

I'm pretty sure we aren't even close to being finished. The psionic bomb in question, as far as I know, seems to be a way to sever the tie of the hive mind from the Yuuja temporarily.

Also as a reminder:

We haven't even left Casper yet. Right now, we're against a probable example of Hivemind Daloth, trying to screw over the adventurers once it realised it couldn't use them for fighting Aleth on its specific terms. The one we're actually meant to fight is Hivemind Aleth, all the way over in Dougton. THAT is the one on the verge of rivalling a genius loci, not Daloth. Then again, I imagine Daloth is probably approaching that level too, albeit at a slower rate.

Also yes, I do imagine this anti-psionic bomb as having a potential bunch of weaknesses or circumstantial issues that are currently not an issue due to being deployed as a surprise for the first time, against what is technically just another Enrele parasite that happens to be hitched to a wild animal. A very big and dangerous wild animal, but that's it. So its probability of being equally successful in future is in question.