The koj leaps out of the river snarling,a viscous black ink from its maw....it...slowly began to float in the air,opening its wide mouth full of pen nib and crayon teethand floated towards you,iquickly biting down on your arm.it floated off,leaving behind...words. its bite was formed into words "grin and bear,deny and scream,you shall not live"

.....maybe dont eat the fish that spat ink and bit you.

The inside of the tree might be safer then the open air if the fucking fish can float

image0.jpg

On 10/21/2019 at 7:08 PM, Die Shize said:

"I am from a land. There is grass in the land and hills and mountains too. There is also a river in my land. I lost my cat in it once. Peko Peko was her name. I rescued her with a toothbrush and seaweed tied into a rope. The second time she drowned.”

Oh, no. I'm not used to being on this end of a non sequitur. I'm starting to feel like I'm the Jack to his Sophie, or something. 

Speaking of, I see Jack wander down a pebbly side path in my periphery as Katana hammers on, and find myself feeling slightly jealous of his physical distance from this conversation.

I squint at Katana's back exasperatedly. "Thank you. That is somehow both vague enough to be unhelpful and oddly specific at the same time."

On 10/21/2019 at 7:08 PM, Die Shize said:

“If we find a river then you can bathe yourself and borrow my sword if you want to shave. Wet mulch is an ideal substitute for shaving cream."

I cringe as he moves to loosen the scabbard from his back. I can too easily imagine giving myself the kind of shaving nick that severs my femoral artery with that thing. "Errrrr...no thanks," I say, splaying my hands out as he gamely offers me his blade. "I'll just rough it. You know, camping rules--we'll just ignore each other's body hair for now. Although, food does sound good, and we can make a cooking fi--holy shit!"

A koi made out of art and crafts supplies comes flying out of nowhere and bites Katana on the arm before flopping back into the drink. He yelps and drops his sword, where it lands with a dull thud on the loamy soil. We both peer at his arm to get a better look at the tattoo that begins to bloom and radiate from the wound:

"grin and bear,deny and scream,you shall not live"

"Welp, that's not ominous. Y'know, I think I'm going to go hunker down in that giant tree over there before I get a fun little souvenir like yours." I point at the leafy behemoth behind us.

The noise of the kerfuffle has caught Jack's attention, and I motion to the tree to let him know where we intend to shelter before eagerly darting through the archway.

Edited by Beewolf
What a neat drawing! Thanks for adding a little illustration for us. :)

The inside was warm and lit with fireflies. cushions were spread out in knots of the tree and scrolls hang from the ceiling. in the middle is a group of armchairs. someone is humming from one facing opposite

Edited by Slime Mother
Thanks! A friend of mine made them since i cant Art.ill pass along the compliment!

I look back to the unexpected visual of Sophie leaning over Katana’s arm and a floating, grumpy looking, ink-trailing koi fish floating away through the air. I tilt my head in confusion, but Sophie is already motioning for me to join them in the tree. It takes a second to cross to the tree and I follow Sophie inside.

I catch a glimpse of the inked words around Katana’s arm. “Deny and Scream,” huh. Denial and screaming seemed to be the only thing I’d done all day. I’d like to think it was for good reason, though. Contrary to the mystic fish fortune cookie, we were still kicking around in this hellscape.

A low whistle of admiration and surprise comes from me as we walk into the room inside of the tree. It reminded me of one of those old fairy tales. I raise an eyebrow at Sophie as if to ask, ‘what’s next?’

Screw it. We’d had good luck with Katana; He was a little weird, but nice. He and Sophie seemed to get along well. Maybe this was another person. “Hello?” I raise my voice to talk to whoever was humming in the armchair. I take a step forward, trying to see who it is. “Can you tell us where we are?”

Edited by AngryCacti

The humming abrubtly stoopped as a young child,with black hair in pigtails and bright innocent eyes,peaked over the armchair before she took a leap off the chair and skidded to a stop before you,mary jane shoes squeaking as she shyly fiddled with the lace edging on her dress "...um...hiya" she seemed the perfect rendition of a child,one you would see in those fancy old magazines

“ACK MEIN LAMEN!” I exclaim as the monstrous fish chomps down on my arm. If it had the proper teeth then it might just have taken a chunk of flesh out. Instead, its little nibblers left behind only a stinging sensation and inky text that I blinked at like a linguist might when transliterating a foreign language. 

"grin and bear,deny and scream,you shall not live"

Perhaps the words referred to the slogan of a corporation that slaughtered cows? I pinched my chin at the thought, all too reminded of how the fish had pinched my arm with its mouth. 

With lunch now an afterthought—or was it dinner?—I follow Sophie through the arch and into the tree where Jack was waiting for us. A great tree indeed, with cushions and dancing bugs with light bulbs on their behinds. I didn’t know what to make of the flying and glowing creatures but I took their note and parked my own behind on a cushion. Setting my sword down, I sank myself into it as though it were a cloud. 

There were scrolls dangling from the overheard bark. One of them had writing that looked Japanese. Another appeared to be a recipe for falafel. Then another scroll depicted a picture of a fish that looked suspiciously similar to the one that had just tried to eat me. A dangerous foe. It reversed our roles. Jack Katana tried to eat the fish but Jack Katana became the meal. This did not sound like a suitable slogan if ever I established my own corporation.

I suddenly became aware of the humming. I looked to my two companions but it wasn’t coming from either of them. I hummed in thought, deducing that the other humming wasn’t coming from the flying insects either. From the tree, perhaps? I looked up at the ceiling. A frog blinked back. It was big. Maybe it will put up less of a fight than the fish…

When a little girl leapt off one of the armchairs, my vacant lunch and dinner almost leapt out of my throat. Instinct washed over me as I seized my sword from its scabbard and pointed it toward the female beast. Then I realized the truth. Everything made sense. The fish that bit me and the words it left on my arm. I shouted to the girl who waited to eat us.

“GRIN AND BEAR, DENY AND SCREAM, YOU SHALL NOT LIVE!”

The little girl stopped,falling back and began sobbing.the scrolls and books and loose papers all began to float and fold into origami dragons and birds that began sswoopingat you,scratching with razor sharp claws and beaks.more and more pf the fishfrom before began floating in,blocking the  only entrance.the girl only sobbed louder

The inside of the tree is...busy, what with the woodland creatures who apparently had the same idea about sheltering in the tree that we did, the scrollwork papering the interior, and the little girl who scampers to stand shyly before us.

On 10/23/2019 at 11:11 PM, Slime Mother said:

"...um...hiya"

Before I can open my mouth to respond, Jack has already posed his own question, and Katana is waving his blade wildly in the child's face and screaming. I roll my eyes in exasperation when she predictably bursts into tears (so much for first impressions), and am even less amused with every paper cut I sustain from a dive-bombing origami bird. 

"KATANA, STOP SCREAMING AT THE CHILD AND PUT YOUR SWORD AWAY! GOD, SHE'S LIKE, EIGHT! SHE'S OBVIOUSLY NOT A LEVEL BOSS!"

Although, I also have to raise my voice to be heard over the fluttering of paper and the distressed croaking of a frog.

I step in front of Katana's blade and place myself in front of the small girl, trying to ignore my own death by a thousand cuts in progress, and get on one knee to put myself level with her crying face. 

"Heeeeeey theeeere. Hey, no. Don't cry! Look, he won't hurt you, okay. He's just spooked. We've...seen some things. Anyway, who might you be?"

Edited by Beewolf

She whimoered,origami and living scrolls dying  down as she wiped at her eyes,pulling a lace handkerchief from a pocket in her skirts.she latches onto your leg,peaking round at katana.she pitifully snigfles for a moment more "M...M Fate.....please dont kill me...big sister will be mad

On 10/26/2019 at 1:36 PM, Die Shize said:

GRIN AND BEAR, DENY AND SCREAM, YOU SHALL NOT LIVE!”

On 10/28/2019 at 3:09 PM, Beewolf said:

"KATANA, STOP SCREAMING AT THE CHILD AND PUT YOUR SWORD AWAY! GOD, SHE'S LIKE, EIGHT! SHE'S OBVIOUSLY NOT A LEVEL BOSS!"

“Mary- mother of Jesus, Katana!” I curse at the eclectic swordsman as he menaces the child and all Hell breaks loose inside the tree. Sophie, stalwart as always, looked ready to end his career in one fell swoop.

I stumbled back away from the little girl as the origami turned into flying razors. I threw my hands up to protect my face and was rewarded with the sharp sting of a score of tiny cuts across the back of my forearms

As Sophie calms the child- Fate- and the floating origami and fish died down, I relaxed and shot a glare at Katana. “Ask her who her sister is,” I say to Sophie. I’m not looking at her. I’m keeping an eye on Katana. I can feel a few rivulets of blood dripping around my fingers. Common sense would tell someone not to try and attack to little girl. Common sense would also tell someone not to draw a sword on her in the first place. Now, I might be throwing stones from a glass house, but it seems that common sense and Katana were distant strangers. If he was crazy enough to try to attack again, I’d be ready. I’d rather take my chances with Katana than this strange kid or her ‘big sister.’

OOC Music

Spoiler

I flail my arms frantically at the paper monstrosities that assail us. Dragons and birds fly down with abandon, tearing at my kimono and gashing my forearms, but my face is left largely unscathed save for melty makeup. As the wicked horrors continue their onslaught, somebody is shouting at me. It sounds like a feminine voice but my vision is blurred by papery wings. Is it the girl? No, the voice had a more womanly tone, almost sultry.

I am convinced that my course of action may, in hindsight, have not been the correct course. I reflect on my folly, realizing my apparent mistake and how all of this might have been avoided had I not greeted this lethal child with my sword. Hmm, and yet, she did prove herself to be lethal… Lethal children were creatures to be reckoned with, that was for certain.

Then, all at once, the battle ended as the attackers laid down their printed arms. I lowered my own as well, observing the handiwork of my flailing. My ever versatile sword had severed scrolls and drawings in half, with bits and pieces and torn sheets and scraps scattered about the war zone. Over there was the word “PO”, over there “TA” and over here “TO” and wedged within the bark was the head of a pig where my blade had decapitated it from a once whole drawing. Hmm… The pink pig was quite adequately crayoned, all things considered.

As I rub my chin in thought, Sophie is holding the child. It is clear to me that the child’s consoling is what led to her ceasing her attack and calling back her army. Lethal, indeed. I must tread carefully around this one. Calling a truce, I sheathe my sword and catch Jack’s look. He seemed to be annoyed. I did not know why. Oh. The cuts. Yes, the paper minions were a bothersome foe, indeed.

I look from Jack to Sophie to the girl and clear my throat. “I am sorry. It is no longer a problem.” Observing Sophie’s stance, I kneel beside both females and stare at the child. “Hello, Fate. My name is Jack Katana, warrior-adventurer and your gateway to victory, though due to circumstances having revealed that my male companion is also named Jack you may simply call me Katana. Who is your sister? What is her name? What would happen if she got mad?” Judging by the results around me, courtesy of the small sister, probably nothing good.

"Big Sister,Aley..shes the martyr.shes always really ssad and tired nowadays so me n Aparht and Charon nd all thw others take care of her since she barely wants.....to...do anything....after losing her favorite knight" a deep male voice gently wanders into your head. 'Fate....you are far too trusting.its admirable but at this time,you should focus upon your scrolls' turning, a magnificent stag,antlers dipped in copper and fur incredibly mossy, is standing in the  entrance of the tree.Fate looks properly chastised "i...i just.....I want her better!" '.....I know....I know.'the stag turns to you 'you are the ones they spoke of. How intriguing that a Uselessness anand a Love would gain more human features and their own personality...it is something we shouls study.'

image0.jpg

I pat the girl's back as she clings to me and works through the last of her crying hiccups. I take a short opportunity to glance over my shoulder at Jack to see how he's handling all of this, only to find him understandably boring holes into the back of Katana's skull with his eyes where Katana happens to be squatting next to me now. I let Katana take over the questioning as I look at the cuts that have yet to begin closing on Jack's arms and wince in commiseration. We all look a bit ruffled and bloody, but food has been hard to come by so far, so I figure that antiseptics might be an even taller order to fill.

While I am looking away, I hear the clatter of hooves in front of me, only to glance back and see that we have what appears to be a forest guardian plucked straight from a JRPG in our midst. Suddenly, a voice rings through my head, and I find that I'm not thrilled by its dismissive tone.

On 10/30/2019 at 10:32 PM, Slime Mother said:

'Fate....you are far too trusting.its admirable but at this time,you should focus upon your scrolls'

Face looking splotchy from crying and expression a tad sheepish, Fate rights her skirts, and finding an out-of-the-way corner, sits down on the floor to busy herself with parchment and what look to be hand-rolled crayons.

On 10/30/2019 at 10:32 PM, Slime Mother said:

How intriguing that a Uselessness anand a Love would gain more human features and their own personality...it is something we shouls study.'

I notice the stag twists it horns between Katana and I in an indicative gesture as it thinks this at us rather offhandedly.

"...I'm sorry, condescending psychic deer...but what exactly do you mean by a 'Useless' and a 'Love?'" There is a sense of dread crawling up my spine at what his words might indicate, but I try to keep my composure in the midst of countless weaponizable paper drawings and their young, just recently becalmed ward.

Edited by Beewolf

'They are two types of Familliars within this WonderLand.Love,a Geisha with no eyes yet obsess over their appearance.Their duty is to gossip. And Uselessness,a cloaked figure,silenced and eyes removed so they mamay never glare at or speak ill of The Martyr and that they may be taken care of with minimal issues.Their duty is to drown.'

The stag huffs,a group of origami birds pulling round cushions for it to rest upon as it watches you with too bright eyes....too wise.

'All being seho reside naturally here are familliars,crafted by the Martyr herself.'

Edited by Slime Mother

I look between the deer and Sophie and Katana, then back to the deer, then back to Sophie and Katana. A cold shiver crawls up my spine. I always assumed that the two of them were like me, trapped and fallen into unfavorable circumstances. However, the deer seemed to imply a deeper meaning. 

I eyed the doorway. We were wasting time and this encounter was starting to feel like a trap. These beings knew we were in here, but they didn’t seem concerned. 

I swallowed my nerves. “Who’s the martyr?” I asked after a moment. “And will she let us go?”

Edited by AngryCacti
I’M ALIVE! (Sorry for taking a whole week. School cannot stop me for long!) Onwards!