“Okay, nevermind!” I interject hurriedly as Katana starts talking crazy again. I catch Sophie’s look and return an exasperated expression of my own.  “While the gesture is... noble... maybe we don’t need to test it right now.”

I glance over my shoulder at the butcher’s shop across the square. “Alright, I’m getting sick of this place and I would very much like to go home, so let’s start looking for the Martyr, or Apathy, or some kind of answer. Unless anyone wants to visit the cathedral first, I vote we look in the butcher’s shop. Keep an eye out for anything weirder than usual.”

I cross the courtyard to the storefront and slowly open the door, looking through the gap before walking inside. I start investigating the interior, looking for anything out of the ordinary.

the butcher shop was very very small, the sign a bright red.the inside is full of cases of human and other humanoid beings flesh,organs and body parts. a small bell was on top of the counter and a fish tank off to the side

...this is .....most likely a fucking nope to clues and survival.

Edited by Slime Mother
If you guys need the places you can go again,please let me know

I flex my empty fingers in the air after Jack intervenes, my hope of permanently confiscating Katana's, er, katana, dashed. Ah, well. It was worth a shot.

When we reach the butcher's shop, it takes everything in me not to retch. My eyes catch on the caches full of human flesh...and...other bits around the interior. 

"Soilent green is...people." I shudder, feeling skeeved, and then feeling even more skeeved at the knowledge that I'm interjecting foreign references again without even meaning to.

I see a little brass bell on the counter, and feel a shiver crawl up my spine, thinking about what sort of horrors its innocuous chime may draw. My hand has been on the hairpin that I nicked from Katana this whole time, and my grip tightens further.

I'm drawn to an eerie blue light on the counter next to the bell, and notice a murky fish tank, the little light filtering into the shop casting weird patterns on the walls via refraction. "What the hell is this...?" I whisper to Jack, edging just a little bit closer -- but not too close. I tap slightly on the glass with the pin, ready to pull my hand back at a moment's notice.

What first appears to be a piranha snaps at the pin before descending back into the tank,snapping at...a tiny little mermaid,taking a chunk of flesh out of them.on second look,its a  mermaid as well bestial at that.the tank is full of these things. The struggling body of the qounded one sinks to the bottom,where its eatwn alive by others.

A sign above the tank proclaims,in that clean and tidy way all those 50's housewife magazines  eith smiling ladies are, that these things are perfect for a snack or a pet.

Edited by Slime Mother
Katana is taking a break,just an update.also,dont worry about turns or any of that.just have fun and put what you think belongs

I make a face at the piranha-like thing and the resulting commotion in the tank. “That’s... actually disgusting.” I say. Everything in this made up world gives me the creeps, but the butcher’s is especially disturbing. 

I walk over to the bell on the counter. I look back at Sophie, and further back at the door. The shop was small enough that if anything happened, it would be a quick escape. “If this doesn’t do anything, we should try somewhere else.” Without further thought, I ring the bell once. If nothing happens, I ring it again.

Edited by AngryCacti
I’m sorry yall. 2020 hit like a bus. My responses will be shorter for a while, but hopefully not as late 😅. Also, is it possible to get that list of available locations?(I should probably write it down, lol)

a stomping precedes a squat....thing wearing a dirty apron and a drooping face “want meat?”

((It didint fit in the lil edit box lol-the cathedral,the offset path,the butchers,the clock tower and the stairs down to the river. In the courtyard itself, theres some statues and the fountain you can ingestigate

Edited by Slime Mother
I understand completely ,dont worry my dude. Since i dont ahave a good drawing of this dude....think the chef dude from little nightmares/leatherface vibes.

As I watch in macabre fascination as the mermaid is defleshed, only for the remainder to then be cannibalized, it makes me wonder, not for the first time, about the wildlife of this place, and what might lurk beneath the surface of a pond or river here. In our last encounter with marine life, Katana was mobbed by arts and craft koi. Were all bodies of water in this world going to subject us to the same type of predation? Where would we source drinking water from, if they were? More to the point, did this nightmare sushi live in the river, the only other source of possible fresh water besides the koi-infested ponds that we'd seen so far? I was beginning to feel parched, and basic human needs were quickly becoming a point of concern.

On 2/6/2020 at 6:37 PM, Slime Mother said:

“want meat?”

I hear Jack speak and the dreaded ringing of a bell,  and turn my attention to the man -- no, the -- I feel my face spasm a bit as I try to gauge where the thing before us falls on the man-animal-monster spectrum of this place, with its uncanny, melted appearance -- and then point to one of the meat containers in answer, directing my finger to hover between parts which obviously belonged to a man, and parts that did not resemble anything sapien. "If I may ask, where do you source your meat from, er...sir?" I felt it politic to be polite, given the, by all appearances, fresh blood dotting his hands and apron.

Edited by Beewolf
No worries, take your time and be as brief as you need. Life stuff comes first.

"anywhere we can.got some  angel in just the other day." A small bit of rotting flesh feom the things face......no thats a mask made of several dozen faces,peels off,falling to the ground.he pays it no mind.

From the little knowledge you still retained as  one of  the Uselessness,this was Desperation,whose duty was to sell the meat.

I nearly jump out of my skin as the butcher emerges from the back room. As the thing talks, a rising wave of revulsion threatens any composure I had left. I take a slow step back towards Sophie. 

“Angel?” I ask meekly. I can taste bile in the back of my throat and my words are slow to form into a coherent sentence. “Who gives you the angel meat? Where do they get it from?”

I watch the death mask quiver and undulate with the thing's -- Desperation's -- detached and  informative speech, and feel acid crawling up my throat from nausea and an empty stomach. I'm hungry, getting hungrier, but I can't even begin to fathom what bad karma it would mean to eat an angel, or anything else in this shop, for that matter.

I take my cue from Jack and start inching towards the doorway. "Okay, who are these 'Saviors?' And what sin did the angel commit to warrant death and dismemberment? And where do angels even come from, here?" 

I was halfway between the door and the counter. We could just run. The butcher couldn’t catch us in time. We wouldn’t have to be in this shop anymore. 

On the other hand... This was our first connection to the Martyr. 

Despite every bone in my body telling me that this was an awful idea, I took a step closer to the counter. In my best not-afraid-of-the-meat voice, I said, “Yes, I want to buy the meat. What does it cost? Where are the Saviors?” There’s no money in my pockets, but I can cross that bridge later. 

The word 'Saviors' conjures memories in my mind of crows lining the cathedral rafters, eyes beady and beaks snapping, razor-sharp. I stare at what look like plucked wings in some of the containers, thinking that as flying creatures, it would make sense if they could bring down an angel.

My eyebrows shoot up as soon as Jack asks for a cut. Oh, okay. We're doing this then. All told, it wasn't a bad idea -- we could use the 'meat' to bait other creatures for food, or as a distraction.

I eye Jack and school my expression. "Does that mean he's a 'heathen,' then? I was a Useless, if I remembered correctly, so I didn't think the label applied to me, but I wanted to be sure. "And what kind of meat do you have on offer, besides angel?" 

Edited by Beewolf