supernal

Your favorite pieces of art

Bar at the Folies Bergere - Edouard Manet - one of the earliest examples of trademark use, the red triangle of Bass Ale

Spoiler

P-1934-SC-234-tif-15319.jpg

Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte - George's Seurat

Spoiler

1-sunday-afternoon-on-the-island-of-la-g

The Garden of Earthly Delights - Hieronymous Bosch - this one requires closer inspection. It can be looked upon for hours and you still find interesting little scenes within the painting. Painted as a church altar piece - triptych.

Spoiler

550px-The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights_by_

The Knight, Death, and the Devil - Albrect Durer - was a reknowned printmaker but his paintings are also exquisite. This is just my favorite of his pieces.

Spoiler

hb_43.106.2.jpg

On the note of print makers, I would also chime in about the poet/painter/printmaker, William Blake. He has some great artwork out there. There is some speculation as to whether or not the heavy chemicals used in early printmaking helped to fuel his 'madness' and imagination. 

Depending on your tastes, I highly recommended some of the more graphic design intensive artists such as Henri Toulouse-Lautrec, Alphonse Mucha (gorgeous organic lines), and H.R. Giger (the quote 'father' of the xenomorphs a la the Alien series). I can go on a little too long about this subject 😬

Edited by carrionjackal

Spoiler

d2u71ru-b82d933b-f088-4a86-883c-86643850

Shub-Niggurath by nightserpant

I generally just love Lovecraftian concept art, particularly for the larger, more bizarre monsters. This one in particular, because it is like an entire landscape, is one of my favorites.

Spoiler

d4pwklf-a4976762-2ded-45cc-a9b8-9be8637e

Azathoth by nightserpent

Didn't realize until I looked this up just now that both of these pieces were by the same person. But yes, this is another one I love, particularly sort of endless cave thing near the top. Part of me just imagines that little sphere in there is a planet of some sort, which shows the scale of what this creature is supposed to be.

Okay, I'll post something more "classy" now...

Spoiler

John_Martin_-_Sodom_and_Gomorrah.jpg

The Destruction of Sodom and Gammorah, by John Martin

I'm a huge fan of John Martin's works. They are just colossal, biblical, and apocalyptic. Beautiful.

Spoiler

John_Martin_-_The_Great_Day_of_His_Wrath

The Great Day of His Wrath, by John Martin

Just... I mean, there is literally a city upside down! That's how amazing this is!

Spoiler

The-Destruction-of-Herculaneum-and-Pompe

The Destruction of Pompeii and Herculaneum by John Martin

One of the things I particularly like about John Martin's paintings is how the clouds and destruction blot out the sky, turning what ought to be a storm into what seems like a giant cavern. It's just breathtaking to imagine it. Also, I like the long, thin bolts of lightning that often accompany the towering formations in the sky.

Oof, you went and opened Pandora's box..

My current favorite for contemporary artists is Marcel van Eeden; a Dutch artist who draws from photographs taken before 1965 (the year he was born), and puts them to words and sequence to make cohesive narratives. They are both gallery pieces and he prints them in book format (and they're generally affordable until they go out of print).

I'm also very fond of Aubrey Beardsley's book illustrations, which are beautiful when they're not made of comical dicks and fart jokes (and even then they're still kinda pretty).

Francis Bacon's Study after Velazquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X is one of my all time favorites. Actually, he painted a few screaming popes, but they're all pretty great. 

Sheilah Beckett illustrated my favorite books when I was little. She started drawing fairytales when she was 14 and continued doing almost exclusively that for the entirety of her career basically until she died at 100 years old in 2013. 

Roger Duvoisin is also a favorite illustrator of mine. Mostly children's books and some editorial, but the gestural quality of his shapes and line work is just really appealing to me.

There's so many more favorites, I'm not even sure where to continue-

10 hours ago, Lady Gilaen said:

Francis Bacon's Study after Velazquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X is one of my all time favorites. Actually, he painted a few screaming popes, but they're all pretty great. 

This is very cool and at first I was fully thrown cause I thought it was the old ass scientist

Edited by supernal

Recently saw this (link), thought it was an interesting way of creating art. Might be a good concept when creating an RP thread, just blend what you see throughout your day into a fantasy story.

4 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

Recently saw this (link), thought it was an interesting way of creating art. Might be a good concept when creating an RP thread, just blend what you see throughout your day into a fantasy story.

Super nice 

Any chance you’re familiar with the person’s work and what their application workflow is? 

Lofty ask I know. But just in case