Die Shize

Fracture or Terrenus?

"Fracture" or "Terrenus"?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should the continent of the Terran Empire keep its new name of "Fracture" or be renamed back to "Terrenus"?

• Keep name as "Fracture"
    • Rename to "Terrenus"
    • No preference

[The following is supplementary information]

If you tune in via your local telecom device, read it in the newspaper or listen to your neighbor over the fence, at some point you were bound to hear about the continent of Terrenus having its name changed to “Fracture”. 

This is no small thing. Nations and states and nation states could exist beside each other on the same continent, and countries generally reflected the governments who ran them, but in a way the name change of the continent of formerly Terrenus to “Fracture” is like changing the name of a country. It is a significant shift, one that is bound to cause a shift among the peoples who live on that very same continent. 

One of them is Andrew Delgado, an outspoken spokesman for TESCO (Terran Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization), a heritage, conservation and restoration organization for Terrenus—or Fracture, as it were. Individuals like Andrew viewed themselves and were viewed as pioneers and protectors for the land and the people. They lived and operated within and under the government, the Terran Empire, but their first and foremost pledge was not to king but to country, and ‘country’ in this case referred more to nation and land than to state and leader. 

Andrew had been active in declaring and spreading his sentiments on the continent’s name change, and the more he put forward his stance the more he attracted attention, the more he found supporters and the more he found opponents. It was enough to warrant his seat on the Sunday morning talk show This Week hosted by Deserane Valdos. The Daily Weekly would dedicate a column to TESCO’s Andrew Delgado and his self-proclaimed campaign to “conserve the identity of the Terran people by preserving the name of their continent”, but excerpts of this morning talk are like this:

Deserane: Some weeks ago, before the Terran government officially recognized the continent’s new name of “Fracture”, you hosted TESCO’s National Literacy Day for, shall we say, Terrenus. It’s a minor observance day for the continent but a special awareness day for your organization. I actually have a sister who was present at the fair, following the footsteps of the author Paul Atwood! In your latest speech about the continent’s name change you referred back to that event. Can you care to elaborate?

Andrew: Yes. Namely the day itself than the fair. You see, Terrenus—Fracture, pardon—has always been a diverse land as a whole. You go to Ignatz and hand someone a book and they can read the title at a glance. You go to some of these outlying settlements, though, certain smaller towns and villages, and literacy can be a bit of an uncommon commodity. Then, I’m human, you’re an elf, and we can read and write as well as each other, but some of our continent’s peoples are not as naturally geared for Terric, or language at all, so you see there is kind of a geographical element, a cultural element and a biological element as to whether one can read or write when it comes to Terrenus.

Deserane: Fracture, ha!

Andrew: Right, right. Fracture. Anyway, what I meant in my speech, then, is really a couple of things. To comprehend the meaning, the significance, the impact, of this continent’s name change from “Terrenus” to “Fracture” you first of course have to be able to comprehend the names themselves; how they are spoken, yes, but also how they are written. Why? Because records are ultimately letters in their most elementary form, and, well, let’s just say that if there is paperwork to consider when changing, say, an organization’s name from this to that then you can imagine the amount of paperwork when you change the name of a continent!

Deserane: Haha, yes, that is true, I suppose. But, on that note, didn’t you mention something to the contrary? A “paradox” I believe?

Andrew: Hm? No, no. Okay, so that’s where a “couple of things” comes in. You see, as major as something like changing the name of a continent is, in our case it’s a lot more complex than changing the name of your organization. We live under the Terran Empire. Has that name become, ah, the “Fractured Empire”? Of course not! Terran is still Terran. And, interestingly, where one place might be referring to the continent as Fracture every morning and night, another place is still calling it Terrenus, because maybe they haven’t or won’t ever learn about the change, and still another place is calling it neither Terrenus nor Fracture but instead a name that they have come up with themselves and apply to the continent. There are peoples who have no name for our continent at all; their peoples live in isolation so why would they need a name for all of the land that they don’t live on? These are all so subtle dynamics that combine to, admittedly, diminish the impact of the name change—to an extent. 

Deserane: I think I follow. So, you mentioned ‘paperwork’, in the sense of maybe updating certain records to reflect the name change...

Andrew: Right, right, but to what degree are we talking about? It’s not as if there is now going to be a continental recall of deeds and receipts and birth certificates. This is especially so where we live on a continent that is quite diverse with its internal cultures and inhabitants. And I get all that. I accept that. I even understand the motive behind the name change, given what the Terran nation overall has experienced if not endured of late. We’ve had civil wars, ‘body snatching’, plagues, campaigns of conquest, shifting loci—certainly all of these things have created a kind of ‘fractured’ continent.

Deserane: Okay...so now you’re starting to sound like a proponent for the name change. Am I wrong?

Andrew: Being understanding is one thing. In fact, ‘understanding’ is a primary directive of the organization that I represent when I sit in this chair. What I can’t understand, however, is the need to change the name of our continent regardless of the motive. If you build a sailing ship and paint it burgundy and so you call it the Burgundy, but later you repaint it jade, do you rename the ship the Jade? Conceivably. On the other hand, what if you build your ship to be launched in clear water and so you name it the Clearwater, but later you sail your ship through murky water. Do you rename it the Murkywater? If it tickles your fancy to, sure, but what if you then sail through the murky water to find clear water once again? Do you name it back to Clearwater

At some point it just becomes as ridiculous as redundant. And, well, the Terrans aren’t dealing with a personal sailing ship. Though we have different races, different peoples, different customs, we are dealing with a whole continent that we all share. When we rename that continent to anything than what we, not locally or personally or tribally know it as, but what we officially know it as, then we are essentially stealing a historical and cultural gem from our own identity. And, I know, opponents will argue against this. Some claim that it is a necessary change that embodies the change of our times. Some put forth the reality that many will not even care, especially where they will not even call, but that’s where I put forth the reality of conservation. That is my living. I seek to preserve our great continent’s history and our heritage. 

The fact is, if we’re changing the name of our continent to anything that isn’t keeping with “Terrenus”, then we are robbing ourselves of our own history. Because, if tomorrow I go to teach a Terran how to read and write, I have to decide if I am going to teach them the name of their continent, or the name of their continent that used to be, and where that is a simple decision for some, well, for people like me it is a decision that is unnecessarily difficult. Because the decision to rename our continent was an unnecessary decision to begin with. 

Deserane: Clearly you are passionate about your viewpoint and your stance. I can respect that. So, in light of all this, it’s true that you are preparing to take action?

Andrew: Ha, I’m always wary of those two words “take action” when they are strung together, but they are no less true. Yes. The way I see it, the ones who should decide what to call our continent are the ones who care enough to and, ultimately, the ones who live on that continent. Who are they? They are not kings, not secretaries, not lords and ladies, not generals or colonels, not scientists or entrepreneurs, they are all one and the same: people. Let the people decide whether, on a continetal scale over an isolated scale, in official representation over local conventions, we should preserve our continent's name change to “Fracture”—or, heck, any other name or a dozen that follows the trend and is thrown up down the road—or whether we should preserve our continent, by preserving the name that was already there: “Terrenus”. 

Now, I’m a conservative, in one sense of the word anyway. TESCO was founded on the principles of conserving heritage and history. But we are no government agency. We are a nonprofit organization made by the people for the people. And one way we engage in our activities to accomplish our goals is by getting feedback from the people, letting the people cast their voices. What’s one way to do this? A poll. We ask the people of our continent, we ask the Terrans, what name their continent should be recognized as, not just nationally, but internationally. What is the name of our land?

Edited by Die Shize