Sign in to follow this  
supernal

Mobile suit gundam wing 1995 [anime]

I prefer the original Mobile Suite Gundam.

Wing was okay but it just didn't have an antagonist on the level of Char.

That and the the Zeon mobile suits looked so awesome.

So many Mobile Suit shows man I don’t know how to process

I’m watching Iron Blooded Orphans though. Really digging it so far. 

Also not MS but another anime I’m getting into is Full Metal Panic. I don’t usually go for sillier anime but this one nails it on that front. Clever romantic themes that aren’t in your face, silly anime stuff that is actually funny, interwoven with serious tones and action.

@supernal Also do tell how your voyage fairs

Edited by Die Shize

Wing is the first anime I ever watched. Despite many flaws, it has always maintained a special place in my heart.

I don't think Heero fits the Gary Stu bill. Just because he has certain abilities doesn't make him one. The anime never really gets into how he is what he is, though; it's mostly left to the conclusions and imagination of the viewer. Same with Trowa. 

18 minutes ago, The Hummingbird said:

Wing is the first anime I ever watched. Despite many flaws, it has always maintained a special place in my heart.

I don't think Heero fits the Gary Stu bill. Just because he has certain abilities doesn't make him one. The anime never really gets into how he is what he is, though; it's mostly left to the conclusions and imagination of the viewer. Same with Trowa. 

It isn’t so much because of certain abilities. It’s that he always (up to that point which was only a few episodes in) had an answer to the problem before him. He could hack, do combat triage, reprogram missiles, and repair his Gundam on the fly. At 14! In one scene a doctor described him as having several hundred injuries but only visibly showing recent gunshot wounds, and he came to from an unconscious state without altering his vitals so as to do so undetected. That’s guru levels of body control. With constant commentary about how amazing he is for being able to do this stuff. He’s not the most egregious example of it but he definitely exhibited some action hero syndrome which hadn’t really been explained it up to that point

However in a later episode the doctor guy that’s got a claw and other robo parts explains that Heero was trained from youth to be a top notch spy-assassin. I don’t know if they go into further detail later on but this at least tells me that it’s something the creator planned for and explained instead of it just being de facto that way

He’s definitely not as bad as all that since despite all this advantage he does lose control of the gundam in episode one, and gets shot through the arm and leg in episode 3 I think, which leads to his capture. As yet no tables are being flipped and I am still very early in. It’s a super well received anime and I’m sure as I go through the whole series it’ll only continual to prove itself 

Edited by supernal

On 10/15/2019 at 6:42 PM, spacegy4 said:

Wing was my first Gundam and still my all time favorite

The geopolitics are definitely interesting. There’s multi-party opposition and that blonde guy with the mask, I like his tactics. I can see how this might have inspired something like Code Geass. I even get The Expanse vibes from it with the earth vs colonies