Burning Bright (Ad/OOC) (Open)

flaming_eye_by_netickque-d5vt8ro.png

Burning Bright

“In what distant deeps or skies. 

Burnt the fire of thine eyes? 

On what wings dare he aspire? 

What the hand, dare seize the fire?” - William Blake

What is it Burning Bright about? 

Burning Bright is a thread that’s all about self-realization and affirmation of the self. To do and to be what we were created for by the heavens or hells themselves. Dredge for the last few months has been with the wonderful Akako Akari and has essentially been relegated to status of rest and peace. No longer does he raid, pillage, and destroy for the sake of bloodlust and entertainment. The dark overlord now has a settlement and a group of people in which he has to care for and oversee, to ensure that his kin can thrive in their new environment. And yet, despite all his failures and his successes. Dredge still craves blood and fire. Burning Bright is a reminder that while a person can change, while they can hoist themselves up to new places, at the end of the day most people will be what they were made to be. For Dredge that means being created for the sole purpose of being true to himself. What might that truth be? Being the bad guy. At his core Dredge is and always will be the villain of the story destined to push a rock up a hill only to see it fall back down. He is the equalizer the balancing force. The tiger to the lamb. So what is your character in this world? Are they honest to what they are? Or do they deny the very nature of their existence?

The Plot 

Set in Genesaris we enter on a location known as the Hoaxin Monastery (completely non canon for now and a place I just made up so go nuts) geographically located on the western side of the Cold Mountains lower steps in Genesaris, this tribe of warrior monks are in direct conflict with the standing order of Dredge’s Legion being allowed asylum here in Genesaris. Going as far as to send a few raiding parties to disrupt Legion’s supply lines and foraging parties. Deciding to deal with these monks, Dredge does so in true fashion. Not only will they be attacked and slaughtered, but the village at the bottom of the monastery as well including every last man woman and child. Dredge after all must stick to his ideals. However Dredge is no fool, rather than attacking with the more monstrous men and women of his forces he has taken the human contingent of his followers and dressed them as common bandits. There is a delicate political scene in Genesaris and to reveal his malevolent hand at this junction would certainly cause unnecessary hardships. So this is where you come in. Join in the destruction or come to the aid of those in need. Feel free to create any existing ties you might have with the location on the spot, just please don’t say “my character keeps his x y and z powerful S class stuff here to save everyone” 

The Goal 

I’ve been in and out of Val the last few months lacking motivation to do much of anything. So I figure it’s time to start a new loose arc to see where things go and what can come of it. Dredge is making his moves in the shadows of Genesaris, growing stronger and stronger as he prepares to enact some evil plan or another, and this is the first step down that path. A slaughter, a temple burned and a village slaughtered with only questions left to ask. The start of the mystery of who was behind it, what Dredge is planning, and how he can be stopped. In this thread If you are going to join I ask that you comply with the notion of “Let the story develop.” That means please do not drop in a character, point over to Dredge and say “It’s Dredge he done it! Get’em!” Then send your army of super mechs and buff beefy bois to take him and Legion out. That’s not to say if you are there then don’t find clues and place yourself on the trail of finding Dredge as future threads progress, just don’t jump in and go full Sherlock mind palace on the first session. Please and thank you.  Have fun and I hope to see you there no matter what side you choose. 

Edit: thread is now live. 

Edited by Dredge

On 10/31/2019 at 2:11 PM, Dredge said:

Set in Genesaris we enter on a location known as the Hoaxin Monastery (completely non canon for now and a place I just made up so go nuts) geographically located on the western side of the Cold Mountains lower steps in Genesaris, this tribe of warrior monks are in direct conflict with the standing order of Dredge’s Legion being allowed asylum here in Genesaris. Going as far as to send a few raiding parties to disrupt Legion’s supply lines and foraging parties.

Is this enmity particularly well-known?  Were these monks outspoken critics of the Legion of Doom?  I'm guessing this is/was the case since they entered into conflict with the Legion of Doom and were subsequently traced back to Hoaxin Monastery.

If this is, in fact, the case, investigators will arrive at the scene after news of the destruction of the monastery has proliferated, and I will monitor the IC thread to determine what information they may learn.

17 minutes ago, The Alexandrian said:

Is this enmity particularly well-known?  Were these monks outspoken critics of the Legion of Doom?  I'm guessing this is/was the case since they entered into conflict with the Legion of Doom and were subsequently traced back to Hoaxin Monastery.

If this is, in fact, the case, investigators will arrive at the scene after news of the destruction of the monastery has proliferated, and I will monitor the IC thread to determine what information they may learn.

That would not be the case really. This is a small monastery and village up in the middle of the cold mountains with no technology and limited communication devices, it’s not the most well known place. Legion and the monks have come into conflict due to them attacking first and killing his people. Dredge just chose the nuclear option as the first response to them. The best way to sum this attack up is kind of like the one Radio Shack that’s in your town burned down from an electrical fire, you’d be sad about anyone caught in the blaze but also not really surprised that it happened. The thread is meant to be a softer start to the mystery rather than an episode of Sherlock.

So they didn't even write a letter to their local congressperson?  Tut-tut!  😜

Also, I think this is technically more akin to the Radio Shack burning down from premeditated arson with intent to commit murder, people dying horrifically in the conflagration, and someone witnessing the gruesome ordeal but being unable to finger the one that done it unless Dredge manages to capture, kill, or otherwise silence the good guys who have shown up.  It isn't Whispernight, so I'm not entirely convinced brigands razing villages and sticking people's heads on pikes will go unquestioned unless someone important has been bought off or something.

It is, of course, up to surviving witnesses to decide if they'll file reports with the authorities, and I imagine there's some sort of general bounty in Genesaris for doing so, much like in Terrenus/Fracture.  I dunno how thorough the investigation following these reports would be.

Is it well-known to the villagers and the monks that the monks were targeting the Legion of Doom or is this information known exclusively to the monks/a subset of the monks?  Even though they are cut off from the world, do these monks have any other known enemies?  These details may seem inconsequential at this point, but their importance later in the game may be paramount.

Edited by The Alexandrian

1 hour ago, The Alexandrian said:

So they didn't even write a letter to their local congressperson?  Tut-tut!  😜

Also, I think this is technically more akin to the Radio Shack burning down from premeditated arson with intent to commit murder, people dying horrifically in the conflagration, and someone witnessing the gruesome ordeal but being unable to finger the one that done it unless Dredge manages to capture, kill, or otherwise silence the good guys who have shown up.  It isn't Whispernight, so I'm not entirely convinced brigands razing villages and sticking people's heads on pikes will go unquestioned unless someone important has been bought off or something.

It is, of course, up to surviving witnesses to decide if they'll file reports with the authorities, and I imagine there's some sort of general bounty in Genesaris for doing so, much like in Terrenus/Fracture.  I dunno how thorough the investigation following these reports would be.

Is it well-known to the villagers and the monks that the monks were targeting the Legion of Doom or is this information known exclusively to the monks/a subset of the monks?  Even though they are cut off from the world, do these monks have any other known enemies?  These details may seem inconsequential at this point, but their importance later in the game may be paramount.

It’s a monastery and village in one of the most remote parts of Genesaris, A bandit attack doesn’t seem like it would be the most unrealistic thing to happen. However as it is a very remote community I would say knowledge of the Monk’s beef with legion was not well known due to how out of the way they are from everything in Genesaris including trade routes and pretty much most if not all forms of tourism. Also you gotta remember that these monks were literally just made up on the spot for the sole purpose of being murdered by Dredge to kick off the arc and create an initial slow burn mystery. While I appreciate your questions, I have to say that this is a lot of information that should be brought to light as the story progresses and as more details surface as this thread develops. You’re essentially asking questions to get answers that I have to make up on the spot rather than developing them with the other writers as the thread moves forward. 

Edited by Dredge