EpicRome23

LotE: The Revival (Day 2)

The Ebon Knight's tone did not shift whatsoever as he responded to Mason.

"Do not play dumb with me. I know of your conversation with Amber at Madon's camp, of the balance of good and evil and your apparent plan to lift The Valley into the air."

He turned his gaze out toward the distance again.

"I haven't told anybody else about the latter thing, mind you. Perhaps part of me is curious to see whether it can really be done."

Those plans... how did he... well, my frown became evident. He must've had a spy on us when we had that conversation, because as far as I know... it was only mentioned once. That means he knows... dammit... but... only he knows? Jill and Innes apparently had no idea who I was. Hold on... something's not right here.
"You know, legally, I'm only required to give my name, rank, and serial number if I'm a prisoner of war... but from the looks of it... you're not going to treat me as such are you? Innes and Jill didn't know me... yet you did. From what I figure you had someone scouting our camp when we had that conversation, and that's why you know that... yet, the rest of the army doesn't. Either word just hasn't gotten to them yet... or you're planning something off the books, something I know all too well."

"Off the books?" 

The Ebon Knight chuckled for a moment. 

"Yes, I suppose you could say that. You are also correct in that I don't intend to treat you as a prisoner. In fact,  will even bring you back to Madon's camp if you cooperate and answer my questions."

I put my hand to my chin. So this is something off the books...
"I want in on it." I finally spoke. "Whatever you got planned, I want in on it. Obviously, this plan involves Amber, since you're so interested in her. And if it's this whole 'good and evil' thing you're into... well... let's just say I have a very personal connection with something like that. Trust me."
That covers my bases. Play the wild card here. Get in on his plans... and the more I know the better I can make a judgement call. From what Owend told me, this guy was not someone to mess around with. Yet, him having his own agenda means something much larger is at play here. I don't want to end up on the wrong side of it.

"... The fates of many hinge on the outcome of this war. This is far greater than a mere war between nations, and even the shards of the Dragon Emblem. However this war ends, the fate of all Erasmia hangs in the balance."

His crimson gaze fell upon Mason as he turned. 

"The balance of good and evil must be maintained if Erasmia is not to fall prey to a fate of great catastrophe. Prophets have spoken. Without delving too deeply... this war isn't so black and white as it seems. There are those on both sides who must fulfill their roles and not stray down a darker path. I work to ensure that those on Byrn's side do not fall prey to temptation."

Once again, I was right. This was bigger than I first thought.
"Believe it or not... I have been in a similar situation before. The fate of World War III rested not between the nations... but on the life of a single man." I shut my eyes. "Most wars are immensely grey. Even those that have clear cut sides still have their grey. But this..." I opened my eyes again. "If what you say is true, then having a soldier who is not afraid to go above and beyond the call of duty will be an asset to you. This isn't my war... but I'll be damned if I don't try to play my part." I paused. What the hell was I saying? I'm right. This isn't my war yet I'm digging myself deeper into it. It's like something is compelling me to. "If you have seen my combat history... then you'll know this kind of work is right up my alley."

The Ebon Knight looked down into the courtyard for a moment before responding. 

"... Little time left. They'll start to get suspicious. So, I will say I am grateful for your aid. I will need you to aid the Exarch to the best of your ability... I will tell you more of what I know of the prophecies later, when I find the time to do so. And as promised, I will return you to your camp."

The Ebon Knight stepped forward, drawing a pouch from his belt and untying the string. He threw a dark red powder over himself and Mason. An odd sensation overcame Mason... and moments later, he found himself back in Madon's camp, with the Ebon Knight standing near him. The general of Byrn spoke after a moment. 

"You may not be used to such a method of travel. Rest assured, the effects are temporary."

"What are you- oh God-" My hands immediately went to my stomach as I hunched over. "I think... I'm going to be sick... what... the... hell..." I collapsed to my knees. Deep, slow breaths. Focus. Don't want to throw up here. The knight spoke to me, I was too busy trying not to hurl to understand them. Whatever he just did... I really don't want to do it again.

When things finally started to clear up, I heard a familiar voice.
"Mason... is that you? And... It's you! You're going to pay for what you did to him!"
Amber... I raised a hand. "Amber... I'm fine... just sick to my stomach... this guy... hear him out..."
"Hear him out? Why should I? He's the enemy."
"Because... there's more to this whole situation than meets the eye... and you and I... are vital to helping... supposedly..."
It took a few seconds for Amber to reply. "Fine. I'll listen. Only because you're still here with him. But just know this Knight: If I don't like what I'm hearing, you most likely won't be walking out of here without eating a Ragnarok or three."

"Be not alarmed, maiden. Had I come to harm either of you, I would have come atop my wyvern, and with Alondite at the ready."

"At any rate, I should find a means to record myself. I dislike needless repetition. But very well, I have no other choice at the moment. This war is not so black and white as it seems, Amber. The fates of many hinge on the outcome of this war, and the happiness of these fates depend on how the balance of good and evil is maintained. There are people on both sides of the war who have pivotal roles to play. If they succumb to temptation and walk dark paths... calamity will come to Erasmia. One that will wipe out the current nations and leave the continent scarred, broken, and barely livable."

Meanwhile, Owend had taken Tolok and the Grey Knights to continue the mission of wiping out the patrol camps. Nodite now circled above a towering hill, followed by two Grey Knights atop their own pegasi. Owend grinned at Tolok after scanning the area. 

"Alright, Tolok. I'm going to dive in and drop you directly into the fray! Me and my girls will strafe and provide support, but... I haven't seen you fight yet, and I'm curious to see how you go about it. And, well... no, I'll tell you about that after we clear out the camp here."

With that, Owend brought Nodite in a diving strike at the Byrn patrol, giving Tolok ample opportunity to leap off and land among the Byrn troops without injury. 

Edited by EpicRome23

Tolok smiled, as he watched the camp below him. A few Byrn were there, patrolling and making sure the perimeter is secure. Though, they never dared to look up, so they could see the three pegasi circling around them, as a sign of their impending doom. He was scanning those soldiers, who didn't look out of ordinary, but they were well-trained, as Owend said.  "Wish me luck. I'll make you proud." During the diving strike, Tolok leaped off at the best moment, not aiming to land among the Byrn troops, but on one of them, aiming to cushion his fall and kill one of the troops. Two birds with one stone, right? Leaping off, he quickly took his sword and shield, shouting "May the fire purify the corrupt!", as his weapons were slowly being covered in yellow to orange flames. The patrol quickly looked at the direction the shout came from, only to see a man, imbuing his fire magic into the weapons, ready to strike, with his shield upfront, smashing the head of one of their patrols. The fall, cushioned, lead Tolok to getting up, as he saw the first enemy was already down, after a mere blow of the shield. The other enemies lunged backwards, as reaction to the sound that the shield and that poor man had during the impact. Tolok got up, correcting his stance, parrying one of the hits coming from a solider, following it with a blow of the sword, slashing the Byrn's chest. Another hit came, as he blocked it with the shield and closed off the distance by pushing with the kite shield into the man. He aimed for the knee, with a precise and fast blow, causing him to fall on the ground, finishing him off with the pointy part of the shield. "That's three."

The last soldier, on the right side of Tolok, readied his bow, ready to shoot. He realised almost too late that the last soldier tried attacking from afar, reacting just in time to block with the bloodied shield. The Byrn prepared another arrow , but Tolok decided to use the distance too. Correcting his stance, he sliced with the sword through the air, horisontally, leading to a flame which followed the sword's swing, going towards the poor soldier which was almost sliced in half by the magical blow.

Tolok looked around, to make sure no one else was alive. Kicking the soulless corpses and seeing nobody was alive, he went through the tents to see if there was anything precious they had left; he needed Owend's help for that, though. He had no idea what would be important and what couldn't. "Owend! It's clear!" he shouted to the blue hair lady he became fond of.

Amber furrowed her brow at the Ebon Knight's words. "So calamity will come to Erasmia because some people turn out evil... so what makes you so sure this will happen? Isn't there already enough calamity just by your nation invading Isore? It's already pushing the survivors to desperate measures. What proof do you have?"

Mason, still recovering, sat down and looked up at the Ebon Knight. "You know... my pack might have some sort of voice recording equipment... though I doubt you have the means to keep the battery charged."

The Ebon Knight's expression remained concealed beneath his helm, but his tone shifted as he responded, a slight irritation creeping in.

"The invasion of Isore was a necessary evil, as the restoration of the Dragon Emblem is a pivotal piece in preventing the calamity that will come. Do you think they would have handed over their shard willingly, had we asked politely? Diplomatic missives either never arrived in the hands of the leaders of the nations, or were lost en-route. And undoubtedly they would have been laughed and tossed aside when read, anyways."

He paused for a moment, reaching for a chain on his neck to pull up an orange crystal attached to the end of it, streaks of red running through it like fire itself had been captured within the stone.

"And you ask for proof. It shall be given to you, but you must extend a moment of trust to me. Lay your hand upon this crystal, and you will hear the prophecy foretelling the calamity straight from its source. If this causes you hesitation, I stand by my statement that I would have not come like this had I intent to harm or kill you. And furthermore, have you ever heard any rumors of me committing harsh or dishonorable acts such as a trap within this crystal would be?"

Owend landed next to Tolok, a glint of admiration in her eyes as she landed next to him.

"Well, big fella, you surely know your stuff! I'm glad to fight alongside you, and I'm sure the Exarch will appreciate your skill in the future."

Seeing Tolok searching through the tents, Owend joined him and looked through the contents herself.

"Junk... junk... bag of gold, keep that. Junk... see that blue vial? That's an elixir. Keep that, and give it to Wymp when you can, he's skilled in applying those healing medicines, even in the midst of battle. More junk... oh, and the last thing, of course! Can tell by the design, that's a brave bow. Eve might like that one."

As they finished sorting through the loot and set the useful pieces off to the side, Owend suddenly reached for Tolok's arm, and would pull him to the edge of the hill if he didn't resist. At the hill's edge, the two would see the landscape laid out below, with the setting sun making it a magnificent sight. Owend turned toward Tolok with a smile after taking time to admire the view.

"What I was starting to say earlier, this hill is one of my favorite spots in Erasmia. I used to stop here when I got a chance during long-range patrols. As you can tell, its easiest to get here by flying. Though those that are willing, like this patrol or passionate lovers, would take the climb nonetheless."

She paused for a few moments.

"Oh, crackers, don't think I was implying anything there! I was just reminiscing about the past, I get carried away sometimes..."

Amber hesitated, obviously this could be a ploy. Yet she couldn't help but feel he spoke the truth. "It's still a lot of trust to put into what should be my enemy. Swords are not the only way to kill someone. How do I know this won't knock me unconscious and then you take me out?"

Mason frowned as he got to his feet. "For God's sake Amber, just trust him." He grabbed her wrist with one hand. "This isn't even my war and I'm getting this nagging feeling that he's right. Just have some faith!" He then thrust her hand towards the crystal, grabbing it with his free hand, encompassing the crystal withing the grip.

"Gold, check. The blue vial elixir that i have no idea of? Check. And the brave bow for Eve? Check. Good thing my curiosity gets the best out of me. Everyone had a win from this." He smiled to her, as he sorted things out and put the gold and the vial into the backpack he almost forgot about, which he carried all day long on his back. He suddenly felt Owend's grab, which pulled him to the edge of the hill. The view was magnificent: the purple and orange sky, along with the sunset, were like a painted masterpiece. It was an eye candy for the man whose blood was imbued in fire, as his thirst for adventure would be satiated; he always loved these kind of sights, since he existed in this world.

He chuckled at her words, as she tried to excuse herself out of this situation. He found it funny and ignored it in a jokingly manner: "Heh. It's a really magnificent view. I understand why you love this place so much, it would be an amazing place to settle down, only to watch this sight, every single day. Passionate lovers?" He looked at her, smugging, "You had your own fair share of visits and I understand you. It's romantic, indeed." He gave a warm smile, as his eyes had a slight orange, firey effect on his iris, which would be seen perfectly due to the sunset. "Erasmia is a really beautiful place, indeed."

As Amber's and Mason's hands wrapped around the crystal, a orange fog obscured their vision for a few moments. When it cleared, they would find themselves looking through the eyes of another- perhaps a disconcerting experience. In front of them stood a silver-haired woman with golden eyes. A small orange-feathered bird sat on her shoulder, chirping at them for a moment before settling back down. The woman spoke after a few moments, her gaze distant, hereyes seeming to glow with power and lighting the darkness, since it was nighttime and neither moon nor stars shined above.

"Calamity... calamity will come to Erasmia. A long-awaited comeuppance for a long-ago injustice. The land will be scarred, the people will be battered and broken, and the great nations will fall, never to rise again... But... this calamity can be prevented. A bright star will rise in Byrn. And his light will ignite a long-lost fire. ..."

A deep voice echoed from... them? It was the voice of the Ebon Knight.

"Micaiah. Is this vision so obscure you can only speak in riddles and symbolism? If I am to act, I must have a clear picture."

"Oh, Ebon Knight... have some patience. I will do my best to make things clearer... ah. This man, this star and savior, will come to lead the great nation of Byrn. He will lead them to grandeur and glory... like they have never seen before. And he will send them out with one task. To gather the scattered shards... the shards of the Dragon Emblem."

"What? Are you certain? For so long, they have said that calamity will be the result of bringing the shards together!"

"And many have believed them. But some power must be bringing a revelation onto me, my love, to reveal a buried truth. The Dragon Emblem will not bring the calamity... but will be the means by which calamity is prevented. Of course, with so many years of lies, and diplomatic relations between the nations being as they are? They will not understand his motives. They will try to stop him. Diplomatic overtures will fail, and it will come to war. But if he does not succeed... then the calamity will come to pass, without hope of stopping it or reversing its ravages."

Micaiah drew something from her pocket, and held it forward toward the Ebon Knight. It was the same crystal which the Ebon Knight had worn and held. The silver-haired maiden pressed it into his hand, gazing into his eyes as she folded his gauntleted hand over the crystal.

"You must ensure that the light of the star is not extinguished, by whatever means you must use to accomplish that end... if the star is snuffed out even after all you do, then the spark I give you now can be used to light the lost fire. For us, and for all of Erasmia, you must your power to ensure peace and prosperity..."

The orange fog came over the vision of Mason and Amber once again. When it faded once more, they would find themselves standing in the light of the setting sun in Madon's camp, hands clasped around the Ebon Knight's hand and the crystal he held out.

Owend took Tolok's response in stride, smiling as she responded after a while.

"If it weren't for the war, I would go around Erasmia and show you all of the beautiful sights like these that I know of. As it stan-"

The two Grey Knights landed next to Owend and Tolok, the first of them turning toward her leader.

"Captain Owend! If we want to get back to the campsite before nightfall, we'd best be heading out now. Hopefully the rest of the girls took out the two camps you assigned them."

Owend scoffed.

"Psssh, we're Grey Knights, Vanessa! Once the elite of Glia, now the elite of Isore, and masters of the skies! A foe that we cannot conquer is a foe that even the Exarch would fear to face!"

With that, Owend turned toward Tolok.

"Well, let's start making our way back toward the camp. If we pass by any other good sights in our travel, I'm definitely going to bring you to them if we have time to spare!"

She walked over to Nodite, making sure to grab the bow for Eve as she went. When she had climbed atop the pegasus, she offered her hand to Tolok once again to help him up.