Sign in to follow this  
supernal

Temple City take 2 [now closed]

I made a check for this before and intend to tag those people again but wanted to get this up as a fresh topic in case any new members missed it

This is temple city - https://www.valucre.com/topic/40298-order-of-the-word-temple-city/

It's underutilized and I'd like to see it get utilized before I shutter it entirely and / or replace it with something altogether new. So if anyone is interested in making use of the lore that's there or even changing the city, in a way that makes sense to the lore that's there rather than a non sequitur radical divergence, let me know!

Update: To clarify what I'm looking for here, Meraxa provided a handy little rule of thumb: I'm open to even radical departures from the status quo as long as the developments occur, on screen or off screen (which is just a quibble about what degree of hand waving is involved), vs a straight up retcon of the property

Edited by supernal

hmm, it seems a bit all over the place.  very lawful meets religious site meets mining town.  it seems like there isn't any real reason to go there unless you're part of the religion which, raise of hands if anyone's playing an 'order of the word' character.  as it stands, the setting as it stands is, to put it lightly, boring.  its got no conflict, no inherent story opportunities beyond "hey lets go to temple city to see engineering and light theology?"

if you ask me this place needs an overhaul, an idea I have is you make the city more isolationist with a religion based around this mountain being holy and sacred, maybe make it tie in with mountain druids who love math or something.  then have it that people find that the mountain is loaded with rare ores or precious gems and there's a big rush of people who want to mine the mountain, but they can't do it legally because the order owns the mountain and it's sacred to them, boom conflict.  people could go there to be "woah, math druids" or "hey lets check out the rad magic caves and be spiritual" or "we need to stop the illegal mining of the sacred mountain" or "we need to illegally mine the sacred mountain.".  maybe have the entire city be in this massive temple superstructure on the mountain. 

Bottom line is needing to answer the question, why would anyone go here?

6 hours ago, squid peanut said:

hmm, it seems a bit all over the place.  very lawful meets religious site meets mining town.  it seems like there isn't any real reason to go there unless you're part of the religion which, raise of hands if anyone's playing an 'order of the word' character.  as it stands, the setting as it stands is, to put it lightly, boring.  its got no conflict, no inherent story opportunities beyond "hey lets go to temple city to see engineering and light theology?"

if you ask me this place needs an overhaul, an idea I have is you make the city more isolationist with a religion based around this mountain being holy and sacred, maybe make it tie in with mountain druids who love math or something.  then have it that people find that the mountain is loaded with rare ores or precious gems and there's a big rush of people who want to mine the mountain, but they can't do it legally because the order owns the mountain and it's sacred to them, boom conflict.  people could go there to be "woah, math druids" or "hey lets check out the rad magic caves and be spiritual" or "we need to stop the illegal mining of the sacred mountain" or "we need to illegally mine the sacred mountain.".  maybe have the entire city be in this massive temple superstructure on the mountain. 

Bottom line is needing to answer the question, why would anyone go here?

The point of this thread is you, not me, take the idea you just had and do the thing if it interests you. It’s clearly skeletal (the fact of the creator not being around to develop it is precisely why I’m making the thread) and the call of the check is for people who want to flesh it out by way of introducing / generating the conflict or elements that the lore page doesn’t have currently. So like how you just came in and drummed up a notion or two in a few minutes? Precisely like that, those exact things. Except less of a “it’d be neat if someone did this” and more “I’ll do this because it’s neat” 

Does that mean you’re interested?

Edit - Definitely in agreement that an illegal mining operations that gets raided by law enforcement or a legal one that gets attacked by bandits could make a very intriguing event 

Edited by supernal

I'd be down to change it, but if there are people who had interest before me I feel like they should have priority.  Sorry if I was rude in throwing out ideas.  I thought it could help start a discussion of what would be actually interesting as a location.  But, what I want to do with it would involve changing the whole thing from the ground up, which, if someone has a good idea where we don't have to change as much of the pre-established lore, that'd be great. 

21 minutes ago, squid peanut said:

I'd be down to change it, but if there are people who had interest before me I feel like they should have priority.  Sorry if I was rude in throwing out ideas.  I thought it could help start a discussion of what would be actually interesting as a location.  But, what I want to do with it would involve changing the whole thing from the ground up, which, if someone has a good idea where we don't have to change as much of the pre-established lore, that'd be great. 

That's quite alright. I think the fact that you were interested enough to generate ideas for the ask is plenty of a handshake for me. /shakes hand

I agree those things would be interesting but between ideas and execution, ideas are cheap, execution is harder. I could sit and throw out a half dozen neat ideas but unless someone actually wants to make those things materialize, they probably won't. Hence the check! I'm trying to find people who both have ideas they want to see and are interested in making them happen

Per the above post I am down to replace TC with something entirely new but that comes after this check. If no one is interested in organically driven changes to TC then I'd shutter it and when looking to put up something entirely new, would do a different check. If it gets to that point I can keep you in mind and throw a tag out

Norkotia is also shuttering by the new year so regardless of TC if you have an interesting notion for a brand new setting we can discuss that in PM separate from this TC thing

I guess the question is just, does anyone think they can salvage what's already there or should I just redesign it from the ground up.

How does this sound, "in the Ouread mountain range there rests an often overlooked mountain known as singer's peak.  This mountain is dwarfed by mounts Typhaon, Kithaeron, Helikon, Tmolos and Aitna which work to protect it from the harsh winds that blow south from the badlands, but also, largely isolates Singer's peak from the larger world.  however, there are ways to reach singer's peak such as through the ouread warrens or man made paths created by the inhabitants of singer's peak.  powerful geomancers and druids live in a massive temple built into singer's peak, so massive the place has been named the temple city by some.  these people seem to be descendants of the ancient civilization that shaped the Ouread mountains and their countless wonders that now lie in ruin.  while much has been lost since then, the druids of singer's peak were essential in carving the northern road from blairville to langley keep through the Ouread mountains.  an act which has put the temple city on good terms with Blairville, who try to respect the peaceful life style of the mountain druids.  additionally, with the discovery of many ancient ruins and treasures in the Ouread mountains, Temple City has being invaluable for archeologists, explorers, and treasure hunters alike.   However, the recent discovery of abundant magic gemstone (or regular gemstones idk) in singer's peak has created political friction between Temple city and the outside world.  Singer's peak is sacred to the faith of the druids and thus they are adamant that no mining shall be done of their mountain.  This creates a lot of friction in Blairville with the prospect of the largest magical crystal deposit enticing countless merchants and wizards, while many are pushed to side with The druids for ethical or monetary reasons, as the druids of Temple City are essential in maintaining the road to Langley keep as well as imperative for expeditions into the Ouread warrens.  Because of this, the official stance of Blairsville is that mining on Singer's peak should be illegal, but there is certainly a market, hungry for magical crystals and willing to not ask questions.  Illegal mining operations flock to Singer's peak from all over Fracture, usually hiding out in the warrens or staying in Cavecrest cove.  The Druids of Temple city work to combat these mining operations, but need to hire mercenaries and adventurers (hired with money they get from helping people going on expeditions and from Blairville for maintaining the mountain road) to better protect their holy mountain from the onslaught of low lifes and crooks." 

with this we can have somewhere to lead people out into Ouread mountain adventures from, have a hot political issue for people in Blairville to care about, and give people a setting rife for adventures and quests.  I'd be glad to make this, but again, it will involve changing the whole setting from pretty much the ground up and I honestly wouldn't mind help with fleshing the city proper or its inhabitants out, if only because I feel like it can be funner that way.

Edited by squid peanut
changed the color of my temp lore so it was easier to read

That is the question! That is, in fact, the very question that this interest check is meant to answer. I put this thread to see if there are any people that fit into that first category. Failing that, is when I would do the check to see who is interest in a from-scratch redesign or brand new territory

Having read through the block there, I think that sounds neat! I also think that can be integrated into the existing lore. Without throwing temple city out the bath water so to speak, instead of developing it down the direction it's already going which would entail a focus on the native Order likely, we can curve it towards becoming an archaeological wonder of a setting. The religious aspects don't need to be explicitly written out of the lore, just isolated to the group that it's important to, and then as a whole it become less important as a focus as time/effort gets put into the archaeological stuff - that is to say as plots are made and completed, quests made and completed, etc, that focus more on one than the other; so overtime it changes to this new thing rather than starting off as a brand new thing day 2

If you feel, like I do, that the idea you've put forward can be folded in then we can work together on making it so

I think I can do something with it, but maintaining the setting as is basically requires one to get very proactive about it, because the whole concept is kinda contingent on the civil war and doing something to act against it. So yeah, I think broadening out just what exactly the 'Temple City' is, to make it more relevant for anyone not explicitly plotting in such a fashion, might be worth while.

3 minutes ago, Meraxa said:

I think I can do something with it, but maintaining the setting as is basically requires one to get very proactive about it, because the whole concept is kinda contingent on the civil war and doing something to act against it. So yeah, I think broadening out just what exactly the 'Temple City' is, to make it more relevant for anyone not explicitly plotting in such a fashion, might be worth while.

I'll clarify what I'm looking for here

I'm looking for changes to the city that make sense for it. This is as opposed to scrapping it entirely and putting something completely unrelated in.

So things like squid peanut put up are perfectly inside of the scope of what I'm looking for since it takes advantage of where temple city currently is, and plays off a little on the Gaian perspective by maybe viewing mineral resources as sacred and not to be profiteered. All checks out

Another example might be that, say, as a result of conflict with its neighbors it's now half the size and population and that population is suffering from PTSD and is becoming more militant. Or, instead, is becoming more timid and withdrawn. Both change the setting and the people but give a reason as to why X, which is still X, is becoming Y, rather than going "this is now Z"

Another example. Under military it says that many of those there are engineers and siege weapon operators. Maybe they get tired of the religious overtures, or maybe they were never interested in them to begin with and the top leaders of the Order have been assassinated and without those paladins around to keep order the Order disbands and the engineers are now warmongerers who sell weapons to the highest bidders. Or they become self-styled guardians of the world and focus on making defensive structures instead and selling defensive vs offensive means

All of it is subject to change, just a change that makes sense respecting what is and how it becomes the new thing. And if no one wants to salvage TC like that then TC goes away and something brand new takes it place (or not, and attention flows to the already existing areas)

Does that better illustrate? There is some framework around the ideas here but it isn't overly restrictive I don't think

Yeah, I can get that. Actually debating something similar to what peanut has put up, but to frame it as perhaps more the wider setting that surrounds the Order. Think similar to the Christian, often Italian, Knights of Malta in relation to the native Maltese population. So you've got a deeper history tied to those that have lived there for centuries or more, currently ruled by a small but very dedicated religious order; more overseers of the place than its primary purpose, which becomes more tied to being a general sanctuary of spiritualism, atop who knows how much history and other resources.

28 minutes ago, Meraxa said:

Yeah, I can get that. Actually debating something similar to what peanut has put up, but to frame it as perhaps more the wider setting that surrounds the Order. Think similar to the Christian, often Italian, Knights of Malta in relation to the native Maltese population. So you've got a deeper history tied to those that have lived there for centuries or more, currently ruled by a small but very dedicated religious order; more overseers of the place than its primary purpose, which becomes more tied to being a general sanctuary of spiritualism, atop who knows how much history and other resources.

I was thinking we could have their diet be based around vegetables and the like grown artificially through druidic magic.  maybe the temple itself can have the core framework of a normal temple, but could be covered in expansions as new places need to be added via geomancy to better serve a growing population who sees what was once the jewel of a nation as the place they all call home, demonstrating an abandonment of ancient decadence while still clinging onto its framework to facilitate an isolated, condensed lifestyle.  we can definitely turn this place into a thematically strong location.

Just now, squid peanut said:

I was thinking we could have their diet be based around vegetables and the like grown artificially through druidic magic.  maybe the temple itself can have the core framework of a normal temple, but could be covered in expansions as new places need to be added via geomancy to better serve a growing population who sees what was once the jewel of a nation as the place they all call home, demonstrating an abandonment of ancient decadence while still clinging onto its framework to facilitate an isolated, condensed lifestyle.  we can definitely turn this place into a thematically strong location.

I'd probably want to make things more suitable for the climate - something derived less from the magic (though that might be used to accelerate things), and more what the local population, druid or otherwise, will have traditionally had available to them. Animals put to pasture on difficult, short grasslands, while fertile patches of soil are used for fast growing, high yield crops; high altitude rice, buckwheat, that sort of thing. Also thinking that druids, in keeping with inspirations, would be more the religious and/or mystically inclined of the local population - the sort of people who used to be in charge, prior to the Order et al, where they would retain a great deal of influence because of being seen as the keepers of heritage, etc.