Note: There's a bit of fluff before the actual Water Cooler Pitch begins! Feel free to read or ignore it as you see fit. Just look for the page break (the big line) for when the fluff ends!

...If you are reading this, it made its way through the screen test for the paper, and is hiding among the classified. I'm sorry if you were expecting another illiterate 'missed connection' or vexing advertisement for feminine company...

"Eryel?"

The woman at the desk sat upright quickly, releasing the pen. It rolled off the desk and struck the ground. Ink spattered across the floor, a handful of dark droplets on a dusty floor. Eryel was already gone before it went into free fall.

Her garments swished audibly as she stepped quickly through the hall into the back room, moving past the only chair back there and towards the only bed back there, as well, in the only room besides the store front. 

Sitting in the bed--not really a bed, but a mattress, tucked shamefully into the corner and draped with fabrics, blankets, rugs and whatever else they could muster--was her father. Her Pawpaw. Her family.

He was sitting up again, and she immediately took offense, sinking to her knees by his side. Her hands reached for the rag in the shallow bowl of water on the side of the bed, wrang it out, and pressed it against his forehead.

"Eryel, please. Please." He lifted his hands up in defense, but she dutifully washed his features, cooling his face and cheeks. He eventually caught the rag, and she let her hands drop into her lap. She blinked at last, realizing she'd been abstaining.

"But Pawpaw, your fever--" She barely even got four words out before he spoke over her. 

"It will pass, Eryel. Please. Don't worry so much." He took a sharp breath in, then coughed harshly. Her resolve broke, and she reached forward, as if to comfort him. He recovered eventually, and pressed her with a question; a familiar one at that. 

"Our things?"

She thought about her note, still unpenned at the table. She hadn't left the store yet, hadn't left her father's side. She couldn't; where would she go? Hyperion was a massive city, too large for her to navigate quickly and easily. She lacked the familiarity of her surroundings to know where to go, where to check. In the time it would take her to get the things back, hours would have passed. She often worried that a few hours would be all it would take for her father to grow worse.

She gnawed her lip. She had to tell him the same answer to the same question, again.

"Pawpaw, I'm sorry, but I can't find out--" Again, cut off. It was amazing she still chose to try and speak.

"Eryel, listen to me." He leaned forward. It pained him. It pained her.

"I will be fine, but without our belongings we have nothing working for us. For me to provide for you, for us." He took another breath, and didn't finish his thought. She clung to it, as if it might fade away. 

"You need to find out where it's been put," He told her. Again. "Just, please. Eryel. Be safe." 

He gave her  mild pat, and the dutiful guardian got back to her feet. Her garments swished with less vigor on her way back to the storefront. Before she even made her way back behind the counter, however, familiar moving shapes in the shop itself caught her attention. She paused, dusted herself off, and put on a smile. None too big, but genuine enough. She stepped through the curtain hiding their small home from the storegoers, and extended her hands in greeting.

"Hello there! Just browsing today?"

Eryel Emmingwether lived alone with her father in their modest home in Ashville, a family of reasonably successful merchants. Before the Ashville Incident, her father was already sick, and being forced to move made things worse for the two. Doubly so, when the caravan moving their valuables was seperated from the caravan moving themselves. Now, a duo of frightened refugees in Hyperion, Eryel desperately hunts to recover her father's lost belongings, a loss that she takes as a personal failing.

But you're here now, whoever you are, browsing the shop on your way past, and Eryel manages to remain a shrewd negotiator and impressive saleswoman. Perhaps you, brave hero, can take some time out of your day to help a young woman collect her family riches?

This Interest Check is the beginning of a small series of quests aimed at introducing a new character I developed, the titular Eryel Emmingwether, as well as playing in an about Hyperion. This thread will likely involve exploring Hyperion and following potential leads within the city, looking for different means to breach security of various kinds, and some small combat. 

I expect this particular thread to have a posting frequency of one per 3-5 days, but this is up to debate! I expect the thread, ideally, to last maybe a few months, assuming we have dedicated posts!

I am looking for anywhere between 2 and 4 writing partners for this one, although the more of us there are, the longer the thread may be! You're welcome to come in pairs, if you and a partner wish to write together.

Lastly, as this thread is meant to not only bring activity to Hyperion, but also advance a character, this thread is to be considered canon, and your character can get some cool artifacts and loot, at the end, and if your characters also need to develop, that can be arranged too!

This water cooler thread will stay up for approximately 2 weeks, after which the thread will begin, unless we get 4 or so before then, in which case we can begin sooner!

If nobody wants to join in 2 weeks? Well, I can always write alone this time. ?

Consider me interested in Eryel's plight and Hyperion exploration! ? I lean more towards the 1 post/week pace, ideally, but 1 post/3 days is also possible if everyone's writing with that pace. Will update with a character sheet once I get back home from vacation in a few days, if you'll have me. ?

7 hours ago, Sanonymous said:

Alexander Rookstone would be very interested, on his own behalf and on behalf of the VCF as well.

Is there a location page for Hyperion specifically?

There should be, but I'm having a spot of trouble finding it currently. 

I'll have to ask @Malintzinto help us find it when it comes time to write.

That puts us up to 3 writers; plenty for us to begin. This water cooler will stay up until Sunday, at which point we will move quickly into the thread.

Assuming that timing works for all involved.

@Sanonymous

I'm also a bit interested, I intend to pull out of some actiony threads, and this seems like it can be fun.  what kinds of characters are you looking for?  What would you say that the scale/power level should be?  I don't want to accidentally bring someone who trivializes everything or someone who is a burden on the plot.

22 hours ago, Sanonymous said:

Alexander Rookstone would be very interested, on his own behalf and on behalf of the VCF as well.

Is there a location page for Hyperion specifically?

Thank you @squid peanut!

That page is technically outdated. I haven't posted the current one because I'm doing some detail revising.

The most current page can be found here in the Club. Sorry for the mess below it, those are works in progress. You will also find a few expanding lore articles on the culture there as well if it will help you get a flavor for things.

While this is also outdated, it also contains some juicy tidbits on Hyperion's culture.

And as always, if you have any questions at all that you can't find an answer to, gently poke me here.

I'm also available through PMs, the Club, or through Discord.

? Have fun you crazy kids! ❤️

2 hours ago, Peach said:

I kinda want to make a new character for this one if there's room for a bard

I think we may have 5 if you are included. I'm not against having more people, though, so I think it should be fine. 

6 hours ago, squid peanut said:

@Sanonymous

I'm also a bit interested, I intend to pull out of some actiony threads, and this seems like it can be fun.  what kinds of characters are you looking for?  What would you say that the scale/power level should be?  I don't want to accidentally bring someone who trivializes everything or someone who is a burden on the plot.

That's a fine question. This thread largely revolves around a merchant girl attempting to recover her possessions, located within city limits. Any combat will likely be straightforward and infrequent, with a a greater focus on investigation, exploration and perhaps some burglary. 

A character that is functional in combat, but also offers other talents besides, would be my suggestion.

If you prefer gamified terms, this would be akin to a low-mid level quest.

If it's investigation, Alexander Rookstone has uncovered many things in his lifetime ? I'm sure the recovery of some goods would be rather routine

Combat on the other hand... Unless he has his gun, he's restricted to a knife and his fists. Not the best of defense ?

On 1/3/2020 at 6:53 PM, squid peanut said:

I intend to pull out of some actiony threads, and this seems like it can be fun. 

While I'm thinking about it, does this include the Acquisition thread in Kyros? I noticed you haven't responded in a couple of weeks. King is busy with becoming a famous author and I wanna make sure I have list of threads to lock that are complete and threads that have gone stagnant and can be hidden when he gets back.