2 minutes ago, Waking_Warrior said:

Good evening!!!  Of course I’m a newbie here.  I have been searching for a decent site with good RPGs.  I’m hoping I’ll be accepted here.  So, hello to everyone!!

Check out our new member guide: https://www.valucre.com/lore.html/resources/nux/new-member-guide/

It's separated into sections so you can read up on the thing that interests you most without having to walk through the whole guide, but the whole guide also only takes about 30 minutes to read in total and will answer most of your questions. Take it at your own pace of course

I think that "decent site with good RPGs" describes Valucre to an eerie T. After poking around the site I hope you agree. Consider me a resource if you have any questions. Enjoy!

2 minutes ago, Waking_Warrior said:

I’m a 29 year old Navy veteran.  I’m looking to start out on new RPGs.  Helping find a direction to go in would be appreciated.

I think I can point you in the right direction, but what is the right direction for you as an rper? What flavor of the game do you like or are you up for?

1 minute ago, Waking_Warrior said:

My strong point is fantasy.  I love creating unique characters that shake an RP up.  I admit, I like characters who have abilities. 

I think fantasy and character who has abilities will fit in almost everywhere on the site, so that's a good start! You can just drop a pin on wherever sounds interesting and take it from there

To narrow that down a little bit, here's two questions: high tech or low tech? magic as mystical thing or magic as abundant convenience?

1 minute ago, Waking_Warrior said:

I don’t understand what you mean by “high tech” or “low tech”.  And what do you mean by abundant convenience?

Basically what he means by high tech and low tech is:

Our world earth would be sort of high tech. Cellphones, power, computers etc.

Low tech would likely be medieval level likely. 

Since Val had tons of different cities and whatnot, each has their own level of technology. As for the second question, I'm guessing that means:

Places where magic is extremely common. Some places like Antigone Isle where magic is shunned/looked down on and all that use it are imprisoned. But other places, there might be tons of magic users.

8 minutes ago, Waking_Warrior said:

I don’t understand what you mean by “high tech” or “low tech”.  And what do you mean by abundant convenience?

Metty hits the nail on the head several times but just to answer them as well

I mean a high or low level of technology. Low tech would be, like Metty said, something like the middle ages. LOTR is "low tech". The modern real world of developed countries is pretty high tech. Ghost in the Shell and cyberpunk are very high tech

Abundance convenience would mean so abundant that its convenient, to the point of being used to solve common problems, like lighting a fire for example. The polar opposite of this would be magic that is rare or difficult to use, or even nonexistent

5 hours ago, Waking_Warrior said:

Oh boy!!!  I have a lot of reading to do!!  Kinda makes me anxious...

No worries, while Val does have a lot of lore it's not required to read everything. You can do something as simple as reading up the page of a city, then starting an rp in said city right away! For the interest check supernal linked, for example, the minimum you'd have to read is the Nymeria Lore Article.

The World overview is a good place to start if you want to get the big picture of Valucre as a setting. It also serves as an index for the different continent lore, but there's always the AMA (ask me anything) threads by the board leaders if you're looking for something specific ^_^