Phoebe

A Glorious Beginning (OOC)

Well, that is gonna be interesting, considering Ivan just did the equivalent of mass guided bombing that ship because he didn't see you guys there. He only saw Addison leap.

Oh dear. I seem to be in some amount of difficulty and distress, vulnerable and small. Please don't eat me, Br'er Shark!

And if you read my first attempt at a post and were scratching your head, it's because I'm on short sleep and it's super late. The post that's currently up is Take 2.

@Fierach @Phoebe

Edited by Veloci-Rapture

@Fierach

I'm just curious; before I make my next post, what kind of narrative combat system are we actually using here? Are we using Val's old T1 rules, or one of the newer systems? I ask because I just realized I was treating this as a collaborative story combat, but it's playing out like a competitive one and I want to go back and edit in spoiler tags in my last two posts to denote the preps and attacks I'm using, so I can follow through on this next one.

Or am I just out of luck because I didn't realize the competitive nature of the thread, and have to say there were no preps, etc in my last two posts and start from scratch with this one?

Edited by Veloci-Rapture

@Veloci-Rapture

Its not a competitive fight, just a narrative one. You can do whatever you like, and I will respond with what I deem appropriate. I mean, I'm not going to let you guys have an easy go of it, especially if people are overall disorganized and doin' their own thing. People doing overpowered stuff can get away with just so much before I make reality ensue or find holes with which to slap them on the hands for going too gung ho. I like people to work together or to put some effort into accomplishing a task. 

Needless to say, the Red Wake is pretty tough. I don't intend for him to be easily solo'd by anybody. After all, whats the point of finally meeting the enemy boss if you could just steamroll him in one or two exchanges?

8 minutes ago, Fierach said:

Needless to say, the Red Wake is pretty tough. I don't intend for him to be easily solo'd by anybody. After all, whats the point of finally meeting the enemy boss if you could just steamroll him in one or two exchanges?

Ok, so, I hear you. But here's my thing.

Ana has taken some serious damage in this fight. She's lost several kilograms of precious mass and it has affected her fighting ability and tactics. As I'm engaged with the Crimson Wake, I'm realizing that I only allowed Ana to take that damage out of the goodness of my own heart; I apparently could have just dodged all of it and that would be cool. Essentially, I'm letting you hit me and I'm not getting any corresponding consideration.

As with literally every other narrative fight I've ever been in on Val, I'm left feeling like a loser and a schmuck. I'm feeling like this super-cool shapeshifter is underpowered against everyone else in this thread, good guys and bad guys alike.

I was hoping that could be explained by my misunderstanding of the nature of this combat. That every one of my attacks was being "I dodged you, lol" because I was using quick attacks with no preps and being quick-defended at back.

So I'll shift my focus and ask a different question: Since this is the third time Crimson Wake has decided to throw an opponent at another opponent, would you agree that it is reasonable for a smart, combat-savvy character to have kenned this little pattern and anticipated it?

Now I'm sorry you feel that way. It wasn't my intent, and honestly, I don't see Ana as any kinda loser. Ana's quite important because she's is really the only one who can travel through the water. She brought Thurgood and Mel to the ships after all, and are responsible for the destruction of one of the pirate ships pretty much on their own. That's a pretty big achievement. Their efforts are now what is allowing the Reaver to engage the Wake one on one and draw most of the aggro. The pirates mostly see a nigh unstoppable shapeshifter who's shrugging off every attempt they got to kill her. The rank and file of them are pretty demoralized. Okay sure, maybe Ana isn't quite as overpowered as Douglas who ripped a hole in a beached ship (in a really obvious manner, and got his ass shot for it), Addison who leapt all the way from the coast to the ships (and then proceeded to headbutt a metal codpiece... there's a theme here, you see?).

Speaking of the Reaver, yes, it is very reasonable for a smart, combat savvy character to have caught onto the fact that the Wake likes to muscle people around and dodge. However, I highly suggest you coordinate with @FunOnTheBun. Maybe he stamps down and widens his stance to avoid being thrown. Maybe he rolls with it to bring the Wake to the ground with him. I'm not tossing a static object here.

2 hours ago, FunOnTheBun said:

For my next pose may I ask how wide did the shark open its mouth? Keep in mind the spear still in hand that the shark is biting at
@Fierach

Wide enough to chomp onto a girthy strongman's arm, but probably not enough to be stabbed through the mouth directly with, at least with anything short of a direct hit.