Ataraxy

What's up with last chance? [Military]

"Bought you some time. Ten men approaching the rear entrance."

"Delta team in position, sir."

Despite the time provided by Oversight being less than Hawk desired, it turned out to be more than enough. Once the perimeter field was activated and bolts of electricity flashed through the enemy combatants, essentially tasing each of them, it wasn't difficult to apprehend them. A few managed to withstand the shock and continued shooting, but Hawk's team and Delta team were easily able to handle them. The in-house fight ended with six apprehended, two of which were heavily wounded, with eight dead. 

But there wasn't anytime to celebrate. According to Oversight there were at least ten men approaching from the rear entrance. There had initially been twenty men, which meant only half were there. Likely trying to pincer them the same way Hawk's men had just taken care of the first group. 

"Okay, one team at a time. Oversight says ten tangos at the rear entrance. Ten tangos unconfirmed as well." Moving with silence, both teams would start with the enemies they had sight of. Before the rear door was breached, everyone had taken their position while a handful of agents covered their back in case the unknown combatants where further ahead than believed. 

Sticking the door with heavy magic-explosives, Hawk clicked the last one into place and held trigger with steady hands. "Oversight. Say when."

"Copy."

Emile tasked his Spotter with keeping track of the men approaching the theater, leaving him to line up shots on the contingent closing on his position alone. That was fine. He could practically do the necessary calculations without the bot; it just made things easier. For his first shot, he waited for a soldier to dart out from behind a parked car and attempt to move to another vehicle further up. His shot caught the man in the chest, and he collapsed to the ground, dead. To follow up, he fired another round at a man darting towards an alley that blew off the right side of his head. 

Unfortunately, no matter how quickly he could switch between targets, he couldn't cover all of the advancing force at once. By now the survivors had split up, each taking refuge in a building on either side of the street. Switching his scope to thermal, he found the men on the right side of the street ascending the stairwell, heading for the roof for a better vantage point. He was about to take aim with his AP rounds when his Spotter chirped. Swiveling to look, he saw the other half of the attackers were stacking up by the back door.

"Ground team, enemy is preparing to breach."

Decant held his breath. He can hear the shots being fired outside. How many more enemies do they have to face? He had not been this anxious since the day he left his previous organization. But that was way back in the past, the military is his new home now and he'd damn well do his part to serve.

"Ground team, enemy is preparing to breach."

"Copy," Decant replied as his finger rested on the trigger. It won't be long before another fight begins. It felt like the earlier encounters are just warm-ups and this might be the highlight of their mission.

Here it goes.

A soft click and the first bullet was fired. It hit on of the approaching enemies at the foot. Surprised and in pain, the man rolls out of his hiding place onto open ground. Another shot and the man was down for the count.

One down. A few more to go.

Edited by Zashiii

Checkpoint

Short Summary

Officers Hawk, Gareau, and Decant deploy to Last Chance following a health report indicating that city-wide inoculation programs may be illicit in nature. They uncover a third-party criminal element, unaffiliated with Argus, operating in the program and provide valuable information back to Empire.

Consequences and Opportunities

C - Thanks to information provided by whistleblower Dr. Derolz, a small number of inoculation programs run by unaffiliated third-parties under the Office of Health Services (responsible for municipal oversight) were found to have criminal ties. Investigation confirms this wasn't the main program run by Argus, exonerating the company of criminal involvement, but resulting in regulatory fines and new compliance requirements for Argus for improper hiring practices (and whatever other jargon may sensibly apply here, I'm not a business major!).

C - Members of the Dead were found to be involved in the criminal activity, raising awareness of their presence in Last Chance. The personnel in question were identified and captured but expired before they could be meaningfully interrogated.

C - The method by which Dead personnel were expired is unknown but Victory analysis of the bodies and officer telemetry (“body cam footage”) is likely to change this. Note this is a consequence and not an opportunity; it impacts the military as an organization but is not a venue for follow up by individual players.

Scene Skip

After leaving Dr. Derolz in a safe house under military custody, the three officers route to a CDF office where they are met by Major Carbon Metireal for a debrief.

Edited by supernal

Debriefings were the worst part of a mission.

Emile understood the necessity of them; without oversight, they were less a military and more a group of heavily armed vigilante's. But for a person like him, who strove for perfection in his craft, it was an exercise in watching strangers pick apart even the tinniest of mistakes. He was no narcissist, he was more than capable of acknowledging his faults and learning from them. Doing so in front of his superiors however... for some reason it always made him squirm. Like at any moment they would declare that he was unworthy of his rank; a waste of the money spent on his training. 

He knew that this fear was foolish; a remnant of the feelings of insecurity he'd had growing up with his prodigy of a brother, Samuel. To their credit, his parents had never compared the two; but their tutors had been a different matter. It had often felt like anything he had accomplished, Samuel had done better. For a long time this had strained the brothers relationship, and there was still tension between the two.

For now though, he would suppress his discomfort as he sat in the interview room; waiting for the debrief to begin. 

Debriefings were among the most useful aspects of any given operation.

That was Carbon's opinion anyway, and why he ranked it as among his favorite parts of the job.

The tactician concerned themselves with the short-term. To a certain extent single-minded focus gave the tactician a certain advantage. When there is only one thing occupying the energies and the senses that single thing tended to materialize as if by magic. But too small a timeline could only ever generate small, fleeting glimpses of the enduring success which was the actual prize, whether one knew it or not.

The strategist saw beyond first-order cause and effect to view the world as a web of systems. It was not enough to win the gold medal for the strategist, not enough to memorize the heuristics of techniques – the strategist wanted hundreds of medals, a generation of victors, a doctrine of understanding so thorough it transcended the bounds of repetition and forms, in which the master creates rather than follows.

Winning is great. Knowing how, and why, is better. Knowledge is power, information a lever, a flood of earth which both makes up and consumes the fifth dimension of war. If Emile is among the hybrid species known as both Competent and Fortunate he might make it to the place where he could see the spectacle of a pen shattering a sword.

"At ease corporal."

The impressive bulk of Major Carbon Metireal's body passed by Emile to a seat next to the soldier rather than across from him.

"Fantastic work out there. Listen. I can't pretend I'm your friend and I'm not invested in our talk. But I don't want you to think of this like an interrogation. We aren't opposites, which is why I thought sitting next to you might be a better way to start things. We both want the same thing, I think, and we've both been willing to put the same thing on the same line to prove it.

"So just. I don't want this in terms of 'right' and 'wrong'. Tell me what we should start, stop, and continue doing as a unit. Not just for this op either. I wouldn't mind how you think your partners did either. These are people in, or liable to end up in, positions of power."

Edited by supernal
added link to sheet

Emile had to restrain himself from flinching away from Major Metireal as he took a seat at the table next to him. As a rule, he shied away from physical contact except for those he was close to; mostly family, but also a few friends and lovers. But he was a professional, and he would control himself and get through the debrief. Taking a moment to consider his superior officers question, he eventually began to speak.

"Overwatch turned out to be a vital part of this operation. Without it, the ground team would have been taken by surprise when reinforcements arrived. I would posit that Snipers be sent out on raids like this more often."

"The spotter drones continue to be an invaluable asset in the field, but I would also recommend that future recruits continue to be taught how to do things manually. Currently the drones can only process one target at a time, and is slow to switch targets at times."

"As for the team I went in with, I have only positive things to say. Captain Hawk and Private Camuel are both consummate professionals, and I would have no reservations working with them again.

Moments of silence stretched between Carbon's question and Emile's eventual answer. Carbon was outwardly comfortable in the silence, radiating aplomb; inwardly conflicted, wondering if he had put the soldier off or, worse, if he were struggling with the consequences of harboring inner demons. However cool one played their dealt hands while on the job, there was simply no denying that it took something away from you, sometimes only a little at a time, but you were always somehow surprised the day you wake up and realized you've been changed.

"That's useful." Carbon assured Emile. This silence did not seem too be that silence.

Carbon shifts from his seat and lumbers to the desk, retrieves a notepad, is scribbling even as he returns to his seat.

"Snipers would have to be retrofitted somewhat. Part of the issue of effective armed coverage, especially in the density of urban environments, is the distance and time. Wind, planet rotation, movement of targets, movement of nontargets into and out of strike zone and vision field. The amount of force needed to propel a payload across these sorts of distances with sufficient impact to remain anti-personnel is significant. If we move the longshots up to mid-range combat and swap out their arms with rapid-fire tools. That'd make urban assignments more sensible I think."

What Carbon is writing looks ciphered but turns out to be shorthand, and to the coded text he sketches small, quick, sharp diagrams to illustrate his point. He doesn't show these to Emile because they're for the report, but he doesn't hide them either, welcoming any correction from an expert in his field.

"We've been able to derive some useful information from a Victory slice we have deployed with a . . . premium asset, for live combat analysis. More data points would be more useful. I'd like to recommend we have a slice embedded into your spotter and see what insights we might be able to pull and apply."

Carbon stopped all extraneous motion and focused his attention on Emile, his turn to be silent, gauging Emile's response to seeing the soft guidance around his original suggestion.

"If that's all, you're dismissed soldier. I'll be recommending your promotion. Thank you for your service."

Edited by supernal