Zigzag

[Quest] To Save the Bravot Library

In the center of the city of Hyperion on a sunny day, a man of purple skin, angelic armor and glowing white eyes stood, his voice soon booming out. 

"HEAR ME GOOD PEOPLE OF HYPERION! YOUR CITY IS UNDER DANGER! YOUR VERY LIBRARY IS UNDER SWAY OF EVIL!" 

People turned their attention towards him. Some thought him mad, others worried, though many were already aware of what was going on in the Bravot Library. Gathering near him, they wondered what this peculiar stranger had to say. 

"FEAR NOT THOUGH, FOR I, RABAT THE RIGHTEOUS, INVOKER OF THE FIFTH REALM OF HULMAR, DESTROYER OF EVIL, MASTER OF THE DIVINE AND CELESTIAL, INSTRUMENT OF ORDER, CHAMPION OF THE GRAND TEMPLE OF DAKARIS! IS HERE TO DRIVE THESE CREATURES BACK FROM WHENCE THEY CAME, BUT I REQUIRE AID TO DO SO. WHO SHALL JOIN ME IN THIS QUEST TO ENSURE THAT THE GOOD PEOPLE OF VALUCRE ARE ONCE AGAIN ABLE TO READ AND LEARN IN THE LIBRARY, SO THAT WE MAY DO BATTLE AGAINST THE FORCES OF EVIL!"

Everyone was quiet, unsure of what to say, with nearly everyone more so confused as to how a person was able to shout for so long. He stood there, arms raised, waiting for any volunteers to join him on this glorious of tasks. 

Rabat the Righteous said a lot of words. It was well, for the Rogue said very little. None, actually. There was no sound, except for those who reacted to him pushing his way gently through the crowd. 

The masked, robed stranger stood before Rabat and drew his sword, holding it before himself upside down as he bowed, clearly presenting himself to the Invoker and offering himself to his services. 

Then he made a gesture in his other hand as if rubbing two coins in his fingers. What was the payment or reward?

Minerva pushed her way to the front of the crowd and stood up facing the angelic humanoid. She glared up at him, the demonic seal on her left eye glowing slightly. The girl looked to be in her teens and she easily looked to stand zero chance in any fight. "I'm only here to save books. Your holy righteousness can stay in it's filthy mouth angel." Her tone made it very obvious she had a distaste for angels. The alliance of holy and unholy would have to be allowed for the sake of knowledge and entertainment. Even if the angeloid were to try and smite her right now he'd understand, the presence of a demonic seal on her body, marked that she belonged to an unholy being of importance. Minerva understood this well and stood in front of the angeloid with high confidence.

cjE8bys.jpg
There are times in a person’s life, when the hard questions must be asked. What is the measure of a man’s soul? What is his worth? What does his continued existence cost. Rarely was this truth measured more heavily than in the life of a mercenary. For how much did one risk life and limb? What lengths would he go to collect? The life of a mercenary was inundated with such crucial moments. 

This was not one of them. 

Perhaps it might have been one of them, once upon a time, but now that he regularly contended with molting  jobs of a supernatural nature were far more intriguing. The more fantastical and outlandish the job, the higher the likelihood that Howl could retain his true form. With a heart heavy sigh, Howl checked the fastenings of his masked helm and donned his hood. Checking the Izrali dueling cutlasses in their scabbards, Howl slid them home and made his way through the crowd.

While he didn’t entirely understand what the figure at the city’s center said, he managed to catch most of it. Resolving to take a shot in speaking the language, Howl resigned himself to having little to no idea as to how this entire debacle would unfold. Having a child’s grasp of the Genesarsian tongue, the Alterian pulled the verbiage to the forefront of his mind and spoke. “I...do...work...good.” Ah, how proud his tutors were. 

“That is to say,” he followed up in Terric. “My name is Howl. I would like to help.”

While able to converse comfortably in Unii, he wasn’t eager to advertise himself as a man well versed in international travel, just yet. Having no idea just how common, or uncommon a bird person mercenary was, he didn’t relish the idea of further advertising his location every time he took a job. Since his arrival, Howl had done everything he could think of to pass himself off as a Fracture native. He was competent enough in Terric (and swallowed enough of his Alterian accent whenever he spoke) that hopefully no one would think him anything more than a mercenary from Fracture.

"All are welcome to come and save the library from this evil." Rabat stated with vigor. "The rewards of course will be of monetary value, rest assured." He said, looking to the mute who approached him first. Then his eyes turned to the girl, and his face soured into a grimace. 

"Yes I can sense the evil within you. Nay I shan't deprive you the chance to do some good for this world, but I will keep a close watch on your actions." Looking to the other mercenary, he nodded as well, addressing him with a much calmer tone. "You, yes I can tell that you shall be a great boon to our quest, and so I welcome you with open arms, fellow comrade!" 

Now that he had enough volunteers to go with him, it was time to take the fight to the evil itself. Leading the way, he walked right up to the doors, pushing them open with great strength. There was little light, save for that which came from the windows. 

"Be careful, and whatever you do, do not engage with these creatures. They are sure to be just as evil as the magic which has brought them to life." Rabat warned. 

It was a odd party to be sure, the righteous, fervor-filled Rabat, the demon-tainted Minerva, and the masked Howl made for strange companions. They were so strange that the mute rogue fit in just fine.

He spared the others a glance, or at least they might've thought he did with the way his head turned toward them, face covered entirely by his cloth-mask before turning back to Rabat and following him through the doors.

The assassin would tap the man gently on the shoulder. He put his right finger pointing down into his left palm facing up, and then split the sign by chopping his right into into a flat palm, before pointing at himself again. His right hand made the brief sign of money once more before then holding three fingers spayed outwards, consisting of his index, pinky, and thumb. 

For jobs like this, Rogue preferred some form of payment up front, preferably half. Even collateral of some sort was fine.

The Bravot Library

nOgAlRpl.jpg

In the Kastoria District, within the Iron Stronghold the street outside is crowded with a procession of priests. The Bravot Library is a two-story tower of polished marble, with several stained-glass windows and dwarf-wrought iron furnishings. The further corners and outline are lit by glowing gemstones set into the ceiling, casting eerie shadows on the flying machines and dangling bones of fantastic creatures overhead. The well-spaced domes of intricate detailing and artistry allow natural light to filter in.

It's as charming inside as it is on the outside. Marble pillars support the upper floor and the fans attached to them. No corner is left unfilled with otherworldly gadgets, whirring gizmos, and skeletal remains of fantastic creatures.  Spaced throughout the Library’s main and second story are globes—detailing far away planets and mysterious lands. There’s no discernible directory to be found, yet the plentiful staff guides have detailed and intimate knowledge of where to find just the right book. It is said that the Bravot collection is vast enough for several stories to be built underground.

Tourists and scholars seem to be the primary clientele here—a good sign. Though today of all days, there was a vast emptiness to the Library. Several long tables where classes once occupied were abandoned. The other, smaller tables are curiously--or ominously--turned over. Some were even pulverized.  Books were strewn all over the main lobby and beyond. Not a soul could be seen or heard--or not at first.

Though the machinations that run the Bravot Library are unclear, it is immediately evident that it is no ordinary Library. While the layout presumably is all it appears, the Library itself is not—as rooms upon rooms that could not possibly fit within the confines, do! With books collected from across the multiverse, the Bravot Library is a gem to Kastoria. Today, though? It was a blight. The assassin  was discussing--for lack of better words (or perhaps no words at all), when the grand doors to the Library opened from the inside out.

A tiny lavender-furred feline emerged, stretching languidly before casually padding across the sidewalk where the group of wound-be heroes were gathering. Unconcerned by tares, the cat rose to sit on its haunches and observe the few with glittering, knowing eyes and a flicking tail that tucked at its side patiently. A decidedly male, lilting voice reverberated, turning many heads--some startled, others confused.

Welcome, Seekers. I am called Mephisto. What and who I am is the same. I am the Articat of Hyperion and the Bravot Library is my charge. Which of you answered the job post first?

yAYftrTl.jpg

@Zigzag @SteamWarden @paradigm @Silent Sword

Rogue drifted off mid-sign at the cat. A guardian creature of the library? Its presence lent some more gravitas to Rabat; and that the invoker actually did have a mission of some sort and wasn't more akin to a more common variety of street soothsayer shouting about deeds and sacredness.

He put up both arms, one under his chin, as if he was thinking, and then tapped his temple and pointed at Rabat. Rogue was not aware if Rabat was the poster of the job or the first to respond, and merely advertised for others to join.

At the signal that the silent warrior wished to be paid, Rabat duly obliged. Quietly he handed him a small sack of coins and gems, of which he had found by rooting through various pots in the city. It was his belief that some small creature, imps perhaps, were leaving the valuable items as droppings of some sort, but for now it was only a theory of his. 

"I am the one who answered the call!" He answered to the cat, being no stranger to the peculiarities that came with existing upon this world. "These brave heroes have decided to join me on the quest to rid whatever evil haunts thede halls."

Setting down upon one knee, he looked to the feline being with a sense of urgency. "Tell me, how might we set this right? Tell us now, so that we may indeed make this place the epitome of learning and knowledge that it so duly deserves to be, so that all may use it to educate themselves on how best to defeat the forces of evil!"

Minerva saw the crushed tables, books all over and looked up at the celestial person. He radiated justice and righteousness and holy. With a sigh she walked to a more open space and took out her dagger. The base requirement for her spells were blood so with a quick slash on her hand, she tossed the blood forward. Quiet splatters of crimson touched the ground and from them a single atronach formed and stood at three feet tall. The atronach ran up her, ran its hand on Minerva's wounded hand, healing it instantly. 

Walking back to the group she heard the celestial ask the purple feline how to solve the problem. 'What even is the problem? What kind of problem can a library even have? Did someone take over and are holding hostages?' Looking up at the angeloid she tapped him slightly to get his attention. "What evil is even here? You really didn't explain what the evil is other than there is an evil." What could be considered evil to an angelic entity could vary significantly. Especially to someone like Minerva.

The Articat scaled the length of the rogue and languidly stretched to drape over his shoulder, as if that were his natural place in the world. He had set to grooming a paw when the other female of the ground asked the winning question, "What even is the problem? What kind of problem can a library even have? Did someone take over and are holding hostages? What evil is even here? You really didn't explain what the evil is other than there is an evil."

You're wise to ask questions, Seekers. Mephisto chimed in calmly.

The Bravot Library did not always belong to the Queen of this Kingdom. The Library itself is a pocket dimension. You will find that there are far more rooms aisles and levels to the Library than should be logically possible. The former owner was a collector of many exotic books that come from every corner of the multiverse. The owner also had acquired taste of exotic species, some of which are carefully and masterfully locked away. However, the passing of magestorms--as magestorms can do--has impacted the magic nexus of the Library. That being said, many characters from the books have sprung to life from the very pages they were written in. Historical figures, fictional creatures and characters have all begun to wreck havoc in the halls of the library, jeopardizing the lives of those who frequently visit Hyperion City to enjoy the Library and all it has to offer.

Worse still, if these creatures venture low enough, they may cause a great deal of damage to the wards that keep those dangerous creatures at bay. I fear the magic of the magestorm must be undone and the characters wrestled back into their rightful books before they escape the library or let loose something far more sinister and dangerous. Queen Raveena once trapped a collective that was very keen to convince her to let it eat her. I don't know that I would like to be eaten, would you?

His tail curled around the silent rogue, as if to claim the rogue as his human. The tip flickered to and from, mirroring the excitement that Rabat exuded, The Library responds to the will and desire of what you wish to learn. It will direct you to the section that closest matches what you are looking for. That being said, it can be easy to get lost and separated without a guide. As a guardian of lore, I will be your guide. Don't be afraid if the room seems to change without you noticing immediately. If we are separated, I will find you. We must collect the proper books to seal the characters back in. That will require some team work and effort.

Mephisto regarded each person, his large eyes blinking slowly, I have utmost faith this can be done. What are your strong suits? What are you the least prepared for? Such knowledge will help determine your role moving forward. We must play to your strengths to see this calamity through.

@Zigzag @Silent Sword @SteamWarden @paradigm

Rogue felt the weight of the bag, and tucked it away. It was acceptable down payment for such a risky venture and use of his skills.

As the tail circled around the rogue, he crouched,and then took a giant leap backwards, arching up into the air. Half way through the jump he drew his cloak around him, and seemed to shimmer away from sight. 

If he landed somewhere, it was quiet. It wasn't until a few seconds later that Rogue shimmered back into view, walking up softly behind Minerva, and wagging a finger at Mephisto, along with a playful shake of his head.

Please don't try that again, the mute seemed to say. Stepping aside from the group for a moment, Rogue dipped into an exaggerated bow, as if presenting himself, before drawing his sword through a set of flourishes. The intent was clear. His forte was stealth and swordplay. His disadvantages...

Well, one of them was pretty clear immediately.

There was, admittedly, a lot to decompress. Unpacking errant and wild situations, however, had become somewhat commonplace for Howl, as of late. Thus the mercenary said little as the celestial being led them into the library and did next to nothing when the library’s guardian revealed itself. To some people, all of this might seem maddening, but for Howl...it was Tuesday—or might as well have been. 

Regarding what he brought to the table, however, was not something he felt easily answered. “Hmmm,” he intoned, tugging at the feathers from his sleeve. “I make the fight.” He said in broken Genesarsian, gesturing to the Izrali dueling swords at his hips. “I fly...a little,” he added pointing upwards. “Oh! I call birds...” Unsure exactly how to gesture the summoning of a metaphysical bird familiar, Howl switched back to Terrin. “I can summon owl spirits. There’s more than you’d think. At least 4.”

Minerva listened to the cat creature speak and heard multiverse. That meant every book ever. "Books of Earth will be fun. Hopefully my cousins aren't here," she muttered to herself. There would be a big problem if witches from Salem were to see Minerva, be her family, and try to kill her. The cat asked what everyone's strong suits are and she shrugged. "I know hemomancy. Most of them take time to activate. I can also summon allies." She places her hand on the demonic atronach that was smaller than her. The atronach stared at the cat with hungry eyes, it's long extended tongue drooling heavily. "I also have a puppy but he's sleeping right now."

"And I am Rabat the Righteous! Invoker of the Fifth Realm of Hulmar, Destroyer of Evil, Master of the Divine and Celestial, Instrument of Order, Champion of the Grand Temple of Dakaris! Aye, I may not be the strongest alive, but with my magical powers there is no obstacle I cannot overcome." His eyes were alive with celestial energy, small embers burning out of the sockets as he felt the power of good flow through him. 

"Let us go now then and find these runaway characters so that we may put them back from whence they came! Come now, adventurers, let us sally forth into the breach, before the treacherous evils that lurk beneath are unleashed on this world." With the utmost conviction he moved into the deeper chambers of the library, his zeal and fervor carrying him forward with the utmost of importance. He was more than simply committed to this task, he was heaven bent on seeing it through!

Rows upon rows of bookshelves greeted them, near endless tomes of knowledge, both mundane and arcane, filling one's sight with a grand sight of knowledge. Rabat was in awe, but knew better than to be distracted at this moment. 

"Be wary...there's no telling what lurks in these halls." There was the sound of hoofbeats, webbed feet slapping on the floor, and the eerie sound of sniffing. "I fear our adversaries may be closer than we think."