notmuch_23

The Mil Dot Port Kyros [hub]

This is the Mil Dot Port Kyros: a firearm store that sells items that skirt the edges of what Hyperian Law says they can sell, and absolutely nothing it doesn't.*

The outside of the building has curved dog-panels (Inuyarai, filled with concrete), wooden cypress siding, silvery-gray ceramic roof tiles, plenty of heavy polycarbonate windows, and a brick chimney. There is a parking lot with plenty of hitching posts and watering troughs for the animals that still power most transportation methods around here.

Inside, (through two sets of automatic sliding doors) there are public, private, and semi-restricted areas, clearly delineated. the public area is split into the eatery, and the sales floor. The sales floor has wooden flooring in square-panel style, where the pine forms the borders of the squares, and cypress boards fill the inside, cut and placed at a diagonal within that panel. The bottom half of each wall are paneled in cypress with thicker pine base and chair molding, with uprights in even intervals for accents. The top half of each wall is painted gypsum board with cypress shogi-style grids. The eatery section has all-pine flooring, with the same style of chairs and tables as the Mil Dot Lunaris. Between the sales floor and the semi-restricted areas sit the counter cases, polycarb with wood framing decoration, and against the separating wall are the ammo cabinets and racks for longarms, with a computerized point-of-sale terminal and receipt printer.

A gate to the right of the register (and another gate to get behind the register) leads through the doorway to the semi-restricted areas. the largest semi-restricted area is the 300-meter range, separated into 20 stalls, behind more heavy polycarbonate, and a double-set of doors, the range is all drab concrete with very few paint lines marking "safe" and "hot" areas, and some signs displaying essential messages. As much as Aveline wanted to decorate this area, she couldn't, because either the bullets will remove it, or in the case of some elements, cause a bullet to bounce back towards the stalls. Sharp-eyed people may notice that the walls and floors of the range are not level, but instead flare open slightly towards the bullet catching system. This is also a safety feature to help any ricocheting bullets bounce towards the bullet catching system at the back. Each stall has two dud chutes that lead to a dud can in the basement, which is safer than one dud can that shooters need to transport duds to. There is also a non-functioning (for now) touchscreen display next to the switch to move the target clip back and forth along the sled. there is also a drab concrete area outside of the range with wooden benches for cleaning firearms, giving safety briefings, and short classes. There is also a classroom that has some more wooden decoration, chairs, a chalkboard, and a podium for longer classes, all of which can me moved for those classes that need more open space.

The private areas include the kitchen, storage space, utility rooms, the office, and eight bedrooms. One for Thurgood, one for Aveline, and three more for any employees that need to stay here.

Mil Dot Discord is here.

*openly at least. Arrangements can be made for items available in the Veluryiam Empire but not the Hyperion Empire. Don't tell Raveena, Kirena, any of their families, or any law enforcement.

Edited by notmuch_23

Now that it's built, it needed stock. thanks to Blackblood mainly, enough firearms and ammunition were available for today, opening day.

Thurgood was running around to make sure all of the lights are on, especially in the cases, the electrical appliances are working, the battery bank is charging if not fully charged, and there is enough water available. Bobby has plenty of rice, All Blue potatoes, and beans available. Bags of syrup from their reserve, and of course from the company that makes that awesome orange soda flow nicely out of the pop fountain Of course, it's only the three of them right now, hopefully that will change later, but for now, there's pork in the pit, smelling quite tasty, and curiosity had been building during construction. So what are they waiting for?

It's not what, it's who: they've invited Queen Raveena to the grand opening, and failing or with her, Grant Knight.

"Ready to do this?" Thurgood asks Aveline.

"Damn skippy, let's get out there and open this place."

@Malintzin @danzilla3

Edited by notmuch_23

Quite a crowd had gathered, really.

Though it was no surprise that a good chunk of the military had come during their off time, it made sense that the Queen and General would make an appearance. Too often people—usually foreign—misjudged their ruler. She, who would be wrapped in finery and ornately decorated couldn’t possibly know a thing of military and rule. It was a well known fact that Raveena delegated the majority of the military’s responsibilities to Sabine because she had five rowdy children to look after.

But the Queen began as a bodyguard and had clawed her way to the top as a sovereign. The story never got old among the Enforcers, when she had been elected as their General and led them bravely through two invasions, fighting alongside them. Queen Raveena, despite her petite, demure and dainty boasted a ferocity on the battlefield the likes many that served her longed to see again. When she spoke, it was in the native Vaadenian language. Translators in Genesar, Terric and Unii were off to the side to translate for her.

“The Southern Schism has affected us all. But the end of the Genesar government brings tidings of something else, something new.” Raveena pitched her voice over the dull roar of the gathering crowds until they hushed to a steady murmuring. “It is my hope that this is the end of an infamous hatred between our continents. That in the wake of this shake up that has rocked the continent to its core, that we come together stronger than before.” She lifted her chin proudly, clutching a pair shears in her hands. Mil Dot stood behind her, prouder than she could ever be. It was beautiful and thoughtful in its design, as if it belonged—and it did.

“We are all too thrilled to welcome Mil Dot to Port Kyros. We stand as the largest port in Genesaris, and we stand as a naval force the likes of which our nation has never seen before. Now,” She looked back to Thurgood and Aveline with a proud and gracious smile before facing the crowd again, her voice clear and pristine, “Now we shall stronger than ever. Stronger because this building represents a union between our people, that we may be safer and stronger for the future. A very special thanks to Thurgood and his sister Aveline for the hard work and dedication they put into this project. We must never waver in gratitude for the gifts bestowed upon us.” She carefully pried the shears open and tactfully wedged the ribbon in between.

“And with that, I am proud to announce that the Kyrosian Branch of Mil Dot,” She promptly cut the ribbon, it fell in a wispy descent for the ground, “Is open for business!”

There was a thunderous applause and raucous cheering. Punctuated among the roar were chants of, “Thurrr-good! Thurr-good!” and “A-vel-ine! A-vel-ine!

The crowd surged forward, eager to see what wares the siblings had in store for them.

To the Singlances, this was just a building, a business; a way to make more money honestly. When they started building, neither one knew how much this meant to the Hyperion Empire, or Genesaris as a whole. Neither one really knew about the history of those hostilities between Terrenus and Genesaris. They've lived most of their Valucrean lives in Taen, and the Veluriyam Empire as a whole. They know that the two empires are friendly with each other, so the Paralioses should have no problem with them expanding their business here.

As Raveena spoke, and it was translated into a language they knew, Aveline was feeling shame for her initial resistance to Thurgood building a store here, now that she hears about what it means to the Hyperion Empire, and the Genesarian people in general.

But as the speech ends, the two must rush inside ahead of the crowds to start working. after all, Robert Morrison cannot do this all on his own.

Thurgood takes his place in the kitchen at the barbecue pit, in anticipation of orders. Aveline slips behind the counter cases, and finds a pleasant surprise: a radar fox. More specifically, Nadia.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Aveline asks.

Nadia replies through her RF converter box "helpin' you. Sounds like you're gonna need it too."

Well, that was a hectic first day. Of course, very few gun sales as Raveena requires permits here for firearms, but plenty of pocket knives moved, Aveline was teaching people how to use guns safely, Thurgood was smoking meat, and Bobby was finishing everything before serving it.

But now they've recovered, there's new meat smoking, the store is clean again, the pop syrup is full now, and there's a couple of interviews today for badly-needed staff. First up is a witch; Tasz.

Aveline is already in the office, while Thurgood waits by the doors.

@Rabbit

Tasz had wandered around the area, trying to search for the businesses she'd applied to. Despite having spent her life exploring, getting lost was something of a daily occurrence. After receiving a few pointers from locals, she'd finally found the business. Too her luck, she'd arrived with a few minutes to spare. At the front doors stood a man, who'd she'd assumed to be a worker of sorts.

"Hi, I'm here for an interview. The names Tasz. Do you know whereabouts I'm mean't to go?" She put on her friendliest smile, which unfortunately isn't saying much.

Thurgood doesn't know if Tasz has ever seen drow before, much less ones with blue skin like his.

"Ah yeah; just step in, and after I relock the doors, I'll lead you to the office."

When she does, he lowers the large pins that hold the automatic doors closed outside of business hours.

"This way." Thurgood them leads Tasz past the tables, to a metal swinging door that leads to the storage space. There's a door to the kitchen to the right, and more space to the left, that's currently filled with boxes and crates on shelving units, and Thurgood leads Tasz to the left along the wall, to the box jutting out of the wall with a door in it, and said door. Thurgood opens it, and gestured Tasz inside, where Aveline is already sitting behind the desk.

"Thank you!" She said, following the drow inside. He locked the door behind them, then signalling for her to follow. Doing so, she eyed the building and its layout as they made their way through. The metal doors made the place seem like a fortress, geared for war. As they made their way further inside, she managed to catch a glimpse of the kitchen, her potential place of work. Eventually, she was lead to an office and gestured inside. To which she saw her employer, waiting and ready.

"Thanks, again." Walking inside, Tasz took a seat at the desk. "Hello, pleasure to meet you. I'm tasz."

"I'm Aveline."

"I'm Thurgood. So you're applying for a kitchen position I see," he says as he looks at the application all candidates are required to fill out.

Aveline keeps reading it. "So why don't you tell us a bit about yourself and your culinary experience?"

While Both Thurgood and Aveline have interviewed people plenty of times, their writer has not, but has been on Tasz' end a few times.

The two introduced themselves, Tasz finally learning the names of her potential superiors. Tho Tasz had met many drow, they'd been integrated into society through generations and so had adopted nontraditional names . She wondered to herself, was Thurgood a traditional drow name?

"I'd grown up with wiccans, on plenty of occasions cooking for the whole group. Being nomadic, I've done plenty of cooking on the road, whether that be for myself or the current party I'm with. I've visited many continents and seen different dimension, allowing me to cook with a near endless supply of different ingredients. Cooking is one of my main sources of income, alongside alchemy. Whenever I enter a new area I often sell food at markets made from ingredients I'd gathered on the road, helps me make some coin along my journey." She explained her journey and how it linked with her skills.

"Hmm," Thurgood says as he stands beside Aveline, "have you heard of barbecue before?"

Quite frankly, things like recorded work history, references, and contact information aren't as readily available here, so the siblings, that are mostly human, and at best look like half-drow with their medium-large build bodies, and especially broad shoulders. No elf has those features; not full ones anyways. and no, their names aren't traditional Drow names, their parents just liked unusual ones, but they were born before parents named kids Ashleigh, Madysynn, Skuyler, and Abcde.

"And if not, what kind of dishes do you usually make?" Aveline asks, "I know you've had to adapt, but every cook has their prefered style."

"Barbecue, but of course." The witch thought back to the many bazars and street markets she'd visited, such as Blairville's and Hell's Gate. Barbecue wasn't an uncommon sight, some stalls even hiring her to help out. "It's not something I'm overly practiced with, but not a stranger to either. Char-grilling is my primary method of cooking, whether that be meats or vegetables. Ingredients wise, primarily meat with whatever spices and herbs I can get hold of."

Thurgood steps out of the office, to the kitchen, to make sure Bobby is ready for Tasz' real test: to see if she actually has any culinary skill, and the qualities that can't be taught. Food safety, preparation techniques, and taste profile combinations can be taught. Passion, trust in senses, and good intuition cannot.

"Okay," Aveline says, "this isn't a deal-breaker by any means, but it is something we need to know. Have you ever had any exposure to firearms?"

Being a place that primarily sells firearms, knowing how to properly handle and fire them is essential, but can be taught. In fact, it would be better if Tasz doesn't, so Thurgood and Aveline can start her with good practices, instead of having to unteach bad ones.

Edited by notmuch_23

Tasz watches as Thurgood leaves, hearing the sound of distant equipment and supplies being set up. Aveline questions the witch on her history with firearms, something that was rather small. Her history with weapons in general was not either diverse or something to boast about. However, her love for ranged approaches to combat was something not to be taken lightly. 

"Errmm, I've only ever held them. Tho I do enjoy ranged offence! So learning would be something very welcome." Her voice bright and full of enthusiasm. 

"Okay good," Aveline says, "if nothing else, if we hire you, we'll need to at the very least teach you how to safely handle the ever-present firearms we sell, but most importantly, we need to know if you can really cook."

Aveline stands up and opens the door, looking across the storage space to the kitchen door, where Thurgoid gives his signal.

"Looks like they're ready for ya."