notmuch_23

The Mil Dot Port Kyros [hub]

"Understood, I'm ready." Standing up, Tasz made her to the kitchen to meet Thurgood. Once inside, she opened her satchel and pulled out a leather roll. When unraveled, it showed numerous cooking and alchemy equipment. Random styles of kitchen knives, pestle 'n' mortars and exotic herbs 'n' spices from across the land of Valucre. Turning to Thurgood, she was now ready.

"So, what am I cooking?" 

In the kitchen with Thurgood is Robert Morrison, a half-elf half-human male with apparently long blond hair restrained in a hair net; he's been working for the Mil dot since their only store was on Gaia Prime. Thurgood and Aveline trust his judgement on culinary matters, which he earned many times over.

In fact, Tesz may notice that Thurgood is wearing a hat back here.

17 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

"So, what am I cooking?"

"Nothin' 'till you wash your hands and wear a hair net," Bobby says, "I run a clean and safe kitchen, and your hair is too long for just a hat."

Bobby is the one Tesz really needs to pass muster with.

"Hair net?" She questioned the elf-human hybrid, not sure what one actually was. She looked over Thurgood who was only wearing a hat, then back to Bobby and noticed the black mesh around his longer hair. "Oh....okay." It was certainly something she was not used to wearing, having no such thing on the open roads. 

Taking a hair net, she struggled to get her near knee length hair within the netting. Once in, she tucked everything under her hat and then proceeded to wash her hand with soap. "Okay, now what?" 

"What can you do with this here pork?" Bobby asks while handing Tesz a raw piece of pork shoulder while wearing disposable gloves.

"Don't hesitate to ask how to use any of these appliances," Thurgood says.

All the appliances that food doesn't directly touch is painted gray; stainless steel collects fingerprints like law enforcement detectives, but everything is very clean, being new, as well as Bobby's efforts in cleaning; when he says he runs a clean kitchen, he means it. The cooking surfaces here are electric, since the wind turbines supply enough electricity to meet the large current demand of electric resistance heating.

"On it!" Tasz started by preparing the spice and herb mixture. She mixed dragon-tongue, featherspice, poregrass, salt, pepper and ground it into a reddish paste. After, she added garlicwort, coriander, butter and began regrinding until she ended up with a light pinkish color. The smell had a somewhat overpowering sweet and spicy fragrance, smelling of plums and curry leaves. 

Taking a mallet, Tasz tenorized the meat. She did this with care and precision, ensuring the meat was even and no breaks occurred. Reaching into her satchel and grabbing a knife, the pork was evenly cut into long strips and massaged into the mixture prepared earlier. Finally, a makeshift grill mess and several skewers were retrieved from her backpack. Placing the grill mess on the stove top and skewering the meat, Tasz began the cooking process. She repeatedly checked the temperature with a thermometer to ensure the meat was cooked to required temperature, washing her hands after each re-handling.

The end result was a comically long tandoori-like pork skewer, something much more akin to a market place than a restaurant. Well-seasoned and cooked till lightly browned, the seeds of the dragon-tongue would cause small pops of individual flavour when bitten upon. 

"Here you go!" Tasz presented both Bobby and Thurgood with a skewer.

Thurgood and Bobby look at the skewer, and Aveline swings by, hanging in the serving window, since that smell is very attractive.

Bobby gets three small plates, three forks, and slides the skewered pork onto them in three roughly equal portions, and then tase what Tasz just made.

"Okay, this has a lot of flavor," Thurgood says.

"Yeah, I know right?" Aveline says, "so whaddya think Bobby.

"Definitely already has culinary skills, likely need to teach her more about food safety," Bobby says after swallowing his bite, "and she seems receptive to instruction."

'Wouldjua want her helping you back here?" Thurgood asks.

"Well, I'd like anybody at this point," Bobby replies, "but I wish they could all be like that. Definitely."

"Okay, well, I trust your judgement," Thurgood says.

"I can go start the paperwork," Aveline says before she walks away with the remaining portion.

Thurgood and Bobby walk back to the stove top where Tesz is.

"So, what size shirt do you wear, do you already have a place to live, and when can you start?" Thurgood asks. the uniform is a polo shirt with the Mil Dot logo embroidered on the left breast. Thurgood and Aveline wear black ones, since they're the owning partners, and Bobby wears one with the top third black, and the bottom third green.

Uniforms are color-coded for the Mil Dot: sales staff wear blue, range staff wear red, kitchen staff wear green, other staff wear purple, and anybody in a position of authority (sales manager, rangemaster, head cook) have black as part of their uniform shirt.

Tasz listened to her review with glee, happy with the praise. It was a recipe well adjusted, always populars with locals wherever she goes. She'd already knew her kitchen hygiene was not the best. Having spent her life cooking in the wild or at unregulated market stalls, it was definitely not something she'd focused on. She took a mental note to focus on it, whilst learning more from Bobby.

"Hmm, I'll take a small, thank you." Upon receiving her new T-shirt, she'd simply place it over her current dress. "So, what're we up to next?

"The final roll and cutting of tomorrow's ramen noodles," Bobby says before lifting three large, covered bowls of dough to a flour-dusted counter, "have you worked with dough before?"

Meanwhile, Thurgood opens the front doors yet again for another applicant; a woman that looks about five years younger than him, and looks like a normal human except for the wings sticking out of her back. Yep, she's a dragon, currently in her polymorphed state.

Tasz will need to also wear jeans with her polo shirt, but all that will come later with the paperwork and handbook. At least the dress code isn't overly restrictive.

Addison hadn't intended to assume too much about her potential manufacturer. Such was neither productive, nor polite, and she despised to be that sort of snobby upper class lady.

Donning a simple green garment and a mesh hair net, she quietly entered the establishment and began to sift through their wares.

Perhaps there were others there. Perhaps it would be filled to the brim with people, indicating not only the success of the Mill Dot store, but the difficulty Addison would have in securing a strong bargain.

Even if it was as empty as a ghost town, it would not have changed the constancy of the Master Knight's stance or demeanor. For a while, she wandered around as if in her own little world, mumbling incoherently and occasionally fixating on an object for an unnaturally lengthy amount of time.

At last when she had been satisfied with her observations, she walked over to the counter and rested her palms on it. She leaned forward to greet the person standing behind it.

"Good day. Who might you be? I hear your shop is a distributor for Blackblood Corporation."

@notmuch_23

Tasz stared into the bowl of dough, mouth watering. Despite her love of pastries and donuts, she'd never worked with dough before. However, a keen glimmer of hope could be spotted in her eyes as she looked back to Bobby. "No, please teach me!" Her voice raised and higher pitch than before. 

"Well, this is the second-to-last stage of the ramen noodle making," Bobby tells Tasz, "and whenever you're working with dough, you need a loose coating of flour on your tools and work surfaces to keep the dough from sticking."

Bobby then spreads some white flour on the counter, and some on his roller, before overturning one of the bowls, with the huge blob of dough falling out.

"Go wash your hands again, and dust that second roller," Bobby says, "it's time to make some noodles."

Currently, only Nadia, a radar fox, is behind the counter right now; she can at least use the register.

"I'm Nadia," she says, "and yes, we are. How may I help you?"

Thurgood and Aveline are interviewing another candidate right now, as they figured the earlier hours of operation wouldn't be busy, so went ahead and scheduled it right after opening.

"I'm looking to sign a manufacturing contract," she replied in parts, taking her eyes of the woman to reach into her bag, from which she produced a small folder of documents.

"I'd like to discuss the terms of delivery and design with the Blackblood Corporations representative here. May I see some documents to verify your affiliation with them?"

She placed the file onto the table but kept her fist planted firmly over it, leaning forward slightly over the counter. She made herself comfortable, propping her head up against her palm and smiling courteously in boredom.

@notmuch_23

Yep, this is way above Nadia's ability to deal with, so she hops off the stool that brought her up to counter height, to the back, and to the office.

A couple minutes later, Thurgood steps behind the counter to where Addison is waiting.

"So we meet again...

...uh...

...fuck, what was your name?"

"Have we met before?" Addison laughed at the man's gesture. "I don't believe we have. I'm Addison."

She unstrapped her gauntlet, setting it down on the table before extending her heavily scarred right palm toward the other man for a shake.

With her free hand, she gestured vaguely to the files on the table.

"I was hoping you could act as my go-between to Blackblood Corporations. Certainly you are being paid for this, yes? If not, I will approach the Corporation myself if you'll be so kind as to point me in the right direction."

@notmuch_23

Tasz watched Bobby's example, seeing the flour sprinkled like snow. Her experience with ramen was few and in between as it was, she was keen on learning a new trait and further mastering it. Reaching over, Tasz gave her hands a thorough wash and dried them. She then grabbed a rolling pin and sprinkled a layer of flour on top. 

"Okay, what's next?"