Shatter

Terrorism in Taen!? (the dead, recruiting, arcturon)

My character Amraphensbane (profile, favor dark theme for this) has received contact from a scientist (@supernal) in possession of a specialized chemical weapon. Said weapon will cause wide spread destruction of a specific resource in the city of Arcturon, located in the strange land of Taen, that keeps the city safe from the swamp miasma. Although known to not be lethal any longer, the swamp miasma causes hallucinations and assuredly makes an area unlivable. In this particular scenario, we’re doing this aware that Arcturon is a city with a population of three hundred thousand, mostly composed of the well off, and magically or scientifically inclined minds. Most of which are scholars with no real battle experience and rumors are abound that they’re developing terrifying and dangerous weapons in the glass depths of the wetlands which the city sinks into. Diffusion of said nerve gas will be done through a series of spray canister administered to the glass itself.

The dead (@amenities) will be sifting through potential applicants, and only taking one on this highly dangerous mission which they will not be briefed about until just before mission start. Location and intent will both be veiled until then to said applicant.

The expectation is that once the dead operatives have evacuated from the area, the nerve gas will begin flooding the city before they have time to study it, though there is a possibility the dead operatives won’t get out before the resulting chaos from the destruction caused by three hundred thousand people hallucinating. And they themselves may become a victim of it, though they will be coming in carrying concealed gas masks in fanny packs.

Our goal is to cause enough of a diversion that they believe our intent is direct bloodshed. The truth of the matter is we are targeting the glass city itself, not the people with our gas attack. We will either have two teams, one focused on distraction while one infiltrates, or a unified force that takes over the upper region of the city by surprise and all at once, then we break out from there.

The panic will begin in earnest when we release the nerve gas. Defenders, citizens, and scientists alike will believe we are gassing them when in reality, it is the fungi that coats the lucental glass. They will not have time to study it properly before the madness from the depths of the research facilities where the miasma is likely to pool first reaches up its tendrils to choke out the rest of the city through their own air filtration system.

Once a team is assembled, there will be an OOC thread separate from this for discussion and a high likelihood we will face resistance from those player characters who support Taen. We're leaving the decision on defenders, NPC or otherwise in the hands of @Csl, so feel free to discuss your character being there at the time of the attack.

Edited by Shatter

I am interested, but not in the way you might think. Before I do continue, I've never seen you before (Even though you have over 3.8k posts so greetings! I am Sanonymous, synonymous with anonymous. I run the VCF 😄 With introductions out of the way,

I would like to propose to play as an antagonist in this situation. The VCF is a peacekeeping force, and something as large as a terroristic attack against 300k, will attract attention. 

Would you be interested in this proposal? 😛 

2 hours ago, Sanonymous said:

I am interested, but not in the way you might think. Before I do continue, I've never seen you before (Even though you have over 3.8k posts so greetings! I am Sanonymous, synonymous with anonymous. I run the VCF 😄 With introductions out of the way,

I would like to propose to play as an antagonist in this situation. The VCF is a peacekeeping force, and something as large as a terroristic attack against 300k, will attract attention. 

How does the VCF happen to be in Arcturon at the time of the attack? Or were you planning to have them enter Taen while the attack was ongoing, in response to the attack?

We can work something out either way, but I wanted to know how you were planning to have the VCF offer support to those defending Arcturon.

3 hours ago, Sanonymous said:

I was interested enough to fetch the top dog in Taen! Hello, I was once susitsu. You couldn’t call me anything but an edgy corner in Valucre’s history, but now I want to upgrade from corner to terrorism.

Amra (with the dead) are actually performing their second attack on Taen after an earlier performance in Lunaris where they and Hellinger collectively crippled each other for a time. Well, just poor Amra and Cain took punishment out of the dead.

51 minutes ago, Csl said:

How does the VCF happen to be in Arcturon at the time of the attack? Or were you planning to have them enter Taen while the attack was ongoing, in response to the attack?

We can work something out either way, but I wanted to know how you were planning to have the VCF offer support to those defending Arcturon.

Well the VCF is a multi-national organization, meaning it has sites all over the world. It listens to rumors, to reports, ears on the ground and all that. You don't become a peacekeeping force without having an intelligence and counter intelligence branch 😄 We could have the VCF alerted to the attack the same day it is happening, meaning the response time would take a few hours at best, but the VCF could also get ACTUAL reports from citizens crying for help, where not much can be mobilized. Defending those in Arcturon is a main priority yes, but it could also be made that there are also VCF operatives within Arcturon, and they are defending them as well, your choice 😛 

46 minutes ago, Shatter said:

I was interested enough to fetch the top dog in Taen! Hello, I was once susitsu. You couldn’t call me anything but an edgy corner in Valucre’s history, but now I want to upgrade from corner to terrorism.

Amra (with the dead) are actually performing their second attack on Taen after an earlier performance in Lunaris where they and Hellinger collectively crippled each other for a time. Well, just poor Amra and Cain took punishment out of the dead.

Nice to meet you 😄 I really do not understand the words you're saying with the dead and all, but I can't wait to see them in action!

Just now, Sanonymous said:

Well the VCF is a multi-national organization, meaning it has sites all over the world. It listens to rumors, to reports, ears on the ground and all that. You don't become a peacekeeping force without having an intelligence and counter intelligence branch 😄 We could have the VCF alerted to the attack the same day it is happening, meaning the response time would take a few hours at best, but the VCF could also get ACTUAL reports from citizens crying for help, where not much can be mobilized. Defending those in Arcturon is a main priority yes, but it could also be made that there are also VCF operatives within Arcturon, and they are defending them as well, your choice 😛 

Does the VCF have a site in Fracture?

As far as canon is concerned they don't have a presence in Taen yet. Taen's relatively isolated from the rest of the world (with one reliable exit/entry point, in Lunaris) so I think it'd be unrealistic they'd hear about the attack, then send forces from outside Taen to respond.

Since I've already offered the VCF a chance to establish their presence in Taen in the past, though, you could have something like some agents that happened to be in the city at the time of the attack. Maybe they could be there to negotiate a deal between Arcturon and the VCF or something along those lines.

Cool. Let me know when up. Simce i'm always behind. 

Stupid not good,hotspot/mobile data lol

Hope you don't mind my slow posting due to that

24 minutes ago, Rin said:

Cool. Let me know when up. Simce i'm always behind. 

Stupid not good,hotspot/mobile data lol

Hope you don't mind my slow posting due to that

Did your computer die a while back? And yeah, I understand.

10 hours ago, Csl said:

Does the VCF have a site in Fracture?

As far as canon is concerned they don't have a presence in Taen yet. Taen's relatively isolated from the rest of the world (with one reliable exit/entry point, in Lunaris) so I think it'd be unrealistic they'd hear about the attack, then send forces from outside Taen to respond.

Since I've already offered the VCF a chance to establish their presence in Taen in the past, though, you could have something like some agents that happened to be in the city at the time of the attack. Maybe they could be there to negotiate a deal between Arcturon and the VCF or something along those lines.

Site? No, especially not in Taen. The VCF being weak in magical fields has led their presence to be majority-based on the major continents, but places with high amounts of magic like Taen, Ursa Madeum is off limits, especially with their weak presence of technology.

That doesn't mean though that the VFC is not as vigilant in these areas, and their presence are not restricted to sites alone. Sleeper operatives and double agents exist in all throughout Valucre, this would mean their reach is still present 😄 That sounds rather nice really, we can work out something along those lines in the OOC

I'd like to throw my hand in here as potential opposition. I'd assume that allot of the 10k soldiers stationed in Arcturon would likely shift to evacuation after a certain extent. You'd assume that after the ringing of the bell there, they'd likely be prepared with some kind of plan in the event of a fit of madness. The other part of the armed forces would likely focus on combating The Dead. With that in mind, I'd say that my character in question has more than ample reason to approach the situation from that point, likely as a trustable ally to the troops. Taen is indeed his locale, and the amount of attention the attack would draw are reasonable enough for him to show up. His objective would be to infiltrate the city and monitor the situation, obtain information, and it's likely he'd be tasked by the Zatrikion to head toward and attempt to secure the Khartes facility and staff; while being urged to avoid contact with The Dead.

What I'd be looking for collaboratively, for clarity, is a more tactical insurgency experience on my end. Sneaking around the gas ridden streets, hiding in the trenches dug by The Acolytes of The Coiled Serpent, climbing across rooftops, routing guard patrols or sneaking by them, getting info if possible. Really having fun with the setting along the way, in an attempt to gain individual firsthand accounts of events, attempting to minimize collateral damage, trying to aid Khartes; and possibly having serious and meaningful character confrontation along the way.

Does this sound interesting?

7 hours ago, Darth Lager said:

I'd like to throw my hand in here as potential opposition. I'd assume that allot of the 10k soldiers stationed in Arcturon would likely shift to evacuation after a certain extent. You'd assume that after the ringing of the bell there, they'd likely be prepared with some kind of plan in the event of a fit of madness. The other part of the armed forces would likely focus on combating The Dead. With that in mind, I'd say that my character in question has more than ample reason to approach the situation from that point, likely as a trustable ally to the troops. Taen is indeed his locale, and the amount of attention the attack would draw are reasonable enough for him to show up. His objective would be to infiltrate the city and monitor the situation, obtain information, and it's likely he'd be tasked by the Zatrikion to head toward and attempt to secure the Khartes facility and staff; while being urged to avoid contact with The Dead.

What I'd be looking for collaboratively, for clarity, is a more tactical insurgency experience on my end. Sneaking around the gas ridden streets, hiding in the trenches dug by The Acolytes of The Coiled Serpent, climbing across rooftops, routing guard patrols or sneaking by them, getting info if possible. Really having fun with the setting along the way, in an attempt to gain individual firsthand accounts of events, attempting to minimize collateral damage, trying to aid Khartes; and possibly having serious and meaningful character confrontation along the way.

Does this sound interesting?

Y e s.

On that note--  @Shatter will you be opening up the thread for opposition after the terrorism has commenced, similar to What's the Difference, or will our characters be able to respond to the threat as it happens?

Edited by Csl