Csl

Gillick's Children OOC

Posted (edited)

Discussion thread for the plot whose name we haven't decided yet (Tyrant kids, Gillick children, Tyrantspawn, Dominions, idk. I'm going with Medieval Fantasy Plot for now because it's how I've been advertising it as)

Feel free to use this as a discussion thread. You're also strongly encouraged to post concerns/questions here, or pm me directly either through Valucre or Discord. Please do not post queries in the plot discord channel - it'll likely get buried.

Lore Links

The Plot

• Several years ago, Damien Gillick took over the then-Queendom of Ursa Madeum when it’s former queen disappeared. Under his reign, he massacred non-human races, erected a blood barrier that shut off the islands from the rest of the world, and ruled with an iron fist through his Black Knights- supernaturally powerful warriors under his control.
  • Unknown to the public, Damien’s rule was made possible through the blood magic of House Gillick - a power the house had kept secret for centuries. Through an ancient pact with the he Llŷr, House Gillick’s descendants gained dominion over flesh and blood.
  • This power was limited, however, and the more Gillicks shared the magic, the weaker it became. It became tradition for the children of each generation to fight amongst themselves, with only one surviving to inherit the title of Lord or Lady Gilick.
  • Two years ago, Damien was killed by a foreign empire. Since then, Ursa Madeum has regained its freedom. is at a time of peace.
  • Unknown to all, Damien had sired eight bastard children, each of whom have inherited a portion of the Gilick blood magic.

Players

Reminders

• This plot operates on Ursa Madeum's individual level of roleplay.
  • A certain level of activity will be expected from those participating in the Tyrant Kids plot. At the very least, be transparent about your roleplay availability -- let us know whenever you’ll be unable to post.
  • Character death is a very real possibility.
  • Collaboration over competition -- keep conflict in-character, and be nice (or at least civil) to each other OOC. If you have a plan that seems iffy for any reason, run it through me first.
  • This plot will officially launch sometime in May 2020. I still have some updates to make around Ursa Madeum and need to do extra preparations for the plot.
    • However, depending on everyone's availability and the speed at which I finish my prep, we may start it earlier.

Gameplay

• Keep a timeline of your character’s threads. Travel realistically -- your character is incapable of teleportation, and this ensures character encounters will happen realistically.
  • When gathering resources/advantages/plot devices of any kind, always check with Csl for approval. Specifically, these are plots that have the potential to give your character a significant advantage against the others (social, economic, military, etc.) This is necessary so we can agree on a reasonable post/page requirement for your character to achieve your goal.
    • Canonization requirements will be looser for this plot -- for the most part, a thread doesn’t have to undergo the canonization process for the events within it to become canon. However, completed threads must still undergo the canonization process.
  • Canonize chronologically correctly. It’s common practice to have multiple threads for one character at the same time. That’s okay -- just make sure the threads fit well in your timeline and are. If you haven’t yet canonized a plot device in an April 1 thread, don’t use it on an April 32 thread.
  • If it’s not written, it’s not canon. In relation to the previous guideline -- don’t use story elements that haven’t been canonized, or at the very least, posted in a thread.
  • Realistic interruptions are allowed and encouraged. For example, Jack, who is in a public place can realistically bump into John, who happens to be in the same area. If Emma spends several threads tracking down Everly, then she can enter Everly’s private thread taking place at her home.
  • Be respectful. Keep conflict IC, don’t violate the code of conduct, and accept any losses with grace. I won’t hesitate to remove anyone who negatively affects the collaboration of the players involved in this plot. At the end of the day, roleplay is collaborative, and we’re not here to flex about who’s better than who-- we’re here to write fun stories together.

Edited by Csl

@Jiv'undus @Rabbit @Meraxa @saga juliet @Veloci-Rapture @Shatter @Samø @danzilla3

Tagging you all, because not all of you have followed this thread yet (please do follow this thread, important discussions regarding this plot will happen here)

Eight dominions uses and limitations is up! As said in the post, don't hesitate to voice out concerns - I encourage you to workshop your character's powers with me too, if you'd prefer to finetune the details of what you want your character to be able to do and not do.

The Character Creation guide is up as well!

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Veloci-Rapture said:

....?

Can enclose.... what?

Also, as clarification: Does this barrier physically stop people from crossing it, or does it just make them scared when they touch it?

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll fix that.

The barrier physically stops people from crossing it.

Also post further inquiries in this thread / send them via pm, pls and thank you!

Edited by Csl

Copying over some of what @saga juliet sent on the Gillick channel on Discord, since it relates to the powers as a whole 

a cursory initial analysis:
1, 6, and 7 are the only powers that can be exercised freely, and usable in a conflict context
5 requires a full blood donation setup for a weak skill transfer, but is permanent at least; full skill transfer requires a literal murder, but oh well
8 falls under "freely exercised" powers, which makes it very useful
2, 3, and 4 can initially be used like, twice every two months safely (going by modern blood donation guidelines). Using these powers around three or four times a week causes likely fatal hypovolemic shock
oh, amendment to 4* since i realized it doesn't need to be the user's blood - then 4 falls under "freely exercised powers"

WadeToday at 6:11 AM
That is a lot of blood for 2 and 3. I’d reduce it and place less emphasis on the exact measurements

saga julietToday at 7:19 AM
actually i think it's fine for how much blood it is, but i'd prefer it have a more permanent effect or efficient delivery mechanism to make it actually usable

saga julietToday at 7:48 AM
The suggestion is to improve delivery mechanism; as it is right now, if you don't have a character that's somehow doing blood transfusions on the reg

Taking note of these and other feedback given by the other participants -- so far @Veloci-Rapture and @danzilla3 have also reached out with clarifications/requests.

While each user can increase the limits of their powers and lessen the restrictions upon killing one of their siblings, I'll consider adjusting the volume requirements for the abilities that require blood transfer or a certain amount of blood from the user. (2, 3, 5)

My schedule is currently very, very swamped but what little time I have had to play with ideas has left me with an observation of my assigned power.

It is mostly a 'fluff' power - due to the sheer amount of blood required to raise a combat capable corpse it can't be used 'in combat', and due to it's limitation on corpses requiring their musculature for locomotion it basically has no effective use. Rigor sets in quickly, meaning roughly 72 hours of the creatures 'lifespan' will be spent stiff, after that subsides the muscles decay rapidly. It has an effective combat shelf life of a week or less? I can raise a single cognitive, combat capable minion every two months. 

Just to be clear, I have zero issue with it having zero combat utility. Not every power needs to be a combat power, and not every interaction needs to be combat. 

12 minutes ago, Jiv'undus said:

My schedule is currently very, very swamped but what little time I have had to play with ideas has left me with an observation of my assigned power.

It is mostly a 'fluff' power - due to the sheer amount of blood required to raise a combat capable corpse it can't be used 'in combat', and due to it's limitation on corpses requiring their musculature for locomotion it basically has no effective use. Rigor sets in quickly, meaning roughly 72 hours of the creatures 'lifespan' will be spent stiff, after that subsides the muscles decay rapidly. It has an effective combat shelf life of a week or less? I can raise a single cognitive, combat capable minion every two months. 

Just to be clear, I have zero issue with it having zero combat utility. Not every power needs to be a combat power, and not every interaction needs to be combat. 

That's true, saga pointed that out too. I'm currently nerfing the blood requirements for the powers that require the user to bleed out, so yours is on the list.

Your power does have a protection against rigor - "The user’s blood can leak out of the corpse through any existing wounds, though reanimated corpses have the ability to heal themselves."

I'll detail this aspect of the power a bit more to specify that reanimated corpses will heal at a regular human healing rate, eventually gaining regular, living-human mobility. Does seem more reasonable to you, or would you prefer to keep the limitations as they are?

Of course, this isn't a purely combat-oriented plot, but I don't want certain powers to be unreasonably weaker compared to others.

I also want to point out that the first post in this thread has been updated to include the Gameplay guidelines!

On 3/20/2020 at 1:10 AM, Csl said:

Gameplay

• Keep a timeline of your character’s threads. Travel realistically -- your character is incapable of teleportation, and this ensures character encounters will happen realistically.
  • When gathering resources/advantages/plot devices of any kind, always check with Csl for approval. Specifically, these are plots that have the potential to give your character a significant advantage against the others (social, economic, military, etc.) This is necessary so we can agree on a reasonable post/page requirement for your character to achieve your goal.
    • Canonization requirements will be looser for this plot -- for the most part, a thread doesn’t have to undergo the canonization process for the events within it to become canon. However, completed threads must still undergo the canonization process.
  • Canonize chronologically correctly. It’s common practice to have multiple threads for one character at the same time. That’s okay -- just make sure the threads fit well in your timeline and are. If you haven’t yet canonized a plot device in an April 1 thread, don’t use it on an April 32 thread.
  • If it’s not written, it’s not canon. In relation to the previous guideline -- don’t use story elements that haven’t been canonized, or at the very least, posted in a thread.
  • Realistic interruptions are allowed and encouraged. For example, Jack, who is in a public place can realistically bump into John, who happens to be in the same area. If Emma spends several threads tracking down Everly, then she can enter Everly’s private thread taking place at her home.
  • Be respectful. Keep conflict IC, don’t violate the code of conduct, and accept any losses with grace. I won’t hesitate to remove anyone who negatively affects the collaboration of the players involved in this plot. At the end of the day, roleplay is collaborative, and we’re not here to flex about who’s better than who-- we’re here to write fun stories together.

6 hours ago, Csl said:

Copying over some of what @saga juliet sent on the Gillick channel on Discord, since it relates to the powers as a whole 

a cursory initial analysis:
1, 6, and 7 are the only powers that can be exercised freely, and usable in a conflict context
5 requires a full blood donation setup for a weak skill transfer, but is permanent at least; full skill transfer requires a literal murder, but oh well
8 falls under "freely exercised" powers, which makes it very useful
2, 3, and 4 can initially be used like, twice every two months safely (going by modern blood donation guidelines). Using these powers around three or four times a week causes likely fatal hypovolemic shock
oh, amendment to 4* since i realized it doesn't need to be the user's blood - then 4 falls under "freely exercised powers"

WadeToday at 6:11 AM
That is a lot of blood for 2 and 3. I’d reduce it and place less emphasis on the exact measurements

saga julietToday at 7:19 AM
actually i think it's fine for how much blood it is, but i'd prefer it have a more permanent effect or efficient delivery mechanism to make it actually usable

saga julietToday at 7:48 AM
The suggestion is to improve delivery mechanism; as it is right now, if you don't have a character that's somehow doing blood transfusions on the reg

Taking note of these and other feedback given by the other participants -- so far @Veloci-Rapture and @danzilla3 have also reached out with clarifications/requests.

While each user can increase the limits of their powers and lessen the restrictions upon killing one of their siblings, I'll consider adjusting the volume requirements for the abilities that require blood transfer or a certain amount of blood from the user. (2, 3, 5)

I did end up backtracking on that, and I brought this up to Wade, but so as to make it more public:

My conception was that the powers were divided into two classes - direct conflict resolution (combat/in-thread conflict) powers, and roleplay opportunity/strategic (fluff) powers that are effectively unusable in the action of a thread itself. This distinction is fine, and after a very brief period of thinking about it, I decided that the sizeable blood costs on fluff powers plus their delivery requirements (needing a full blood transfusion setup) were even perfectly acceptable.

In balance, however, I would have liked to see certain aspects of the fluff powers be boosted so as to facilitate roleplay plot-building. Making an example of Power 2: any dead body is likely to be grievously wounded. Reanimating such a corpse, and then healing it, would represent an enormous expenditure of medical resources to provide a single soldier that only retains its original skills. From a combat/resource gathering point of view, a player character might as well spend money to hire a mercenary and receive a resource of equivalent value. However, if it were made so that it was a full thrall, and retained all memories of its former existence, the power suddenly becomes a very potent roleplay tool - espionage, information gathering that cannot be otherwise replicated, and so on. It is a unique power with a unique application that generates unique roleplay opportunities beyond the equivalent of hiring a mercenary.

(This was just an example! I'm not advocating for changing others' powers at all, and any alterations should certainly be left up to Jiv'undus and Csl on this front).

My suggestion for Power 3 would have been in the same vein of striking off the duration, as durations turn strategic powers into tactical ones, and the idea of thralling is certainly more interesting from a plot-driven perspective than a conflict-resolution perspective - who has been infected? Who can be trusted? The Power-Bearer, being weak and frail themselves, are suddenly not so much a source of danger themselves as a prize to be held, or a puppetmaster to be worked against in the largest terms. Given that I'm intending to create a frail pacifist character to suit, I'd like to see those sorts of roleplay opportunities opened up. The difficulty of use only complements the plot-centric application of the power.

Fluff powers are only fluff if they serve no purpose either strategically or tactically, and some of them are kitted out such that it's difficult to use them in either capacity.

When creating threads around these characters, is there a specific tag or something you'd like put in the title for ease of tracking them?

1 hour ago, saga juliet said:

In balance, however, I would have liked to see certain aspects of the fluff powers be boosted so as to facilitate roleplay plot-building. Making an example of Power 2: any dead body is likely to be grievously wounded. Reanimating such a corpse, and then healing it, would represent an enormous expenditure of medical resources to provide a single soldier that only retains its original skills. From a combat/resource gathering point of view, a player character might as well spend money to hire a mercenary and receive a resource of equivalent value. However, if it were made so that it was a full thrall, and retained all memories of its former existence, the power suddenly becomes a very potent roleplay tool - espionage, information gathering that cannot be otherwise replicated, and so on. It is a unique power with a unique application that generates unique roleplay opportunities beyond the equivalent of hiring a mercenary.

That's a fair point-- I'm already going to have power 2 automatically begin healing the corpse, and in time, restoring the body to full function. Having it be able to retain the memories of its former existence may come as a buff when the user of power 2 manages to kill someone.

I'm also considering moving all the dominions up in power level every time each of the users die, regardless of who kills who.

25 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

When creating threads around these characters, is there a specific tag or something you'd like put in the title for ease of tracking them?

That's a good idea. We really have to decide what to name the plot, though for the longest time I was using Tyrant Kids.

Also, I'll be editing in/posting something like a character sheet template in the Character Creation Guidelines thread in an hour or so.

10 minutes ago, Veloci-Rapture said:

@Csl

On the list you have me as Dominion V, I thought I was Dominion IV?

My bad, I switched yours and Meraxa. Will fix that now.

If the corpses heal themselves over time and don't decompose then I'm perfectly fine with the power as is; though I'd like to make a suggestion as to add a bit of flair to it.

Allow me to modify corpses or make 'flesh constructs' at high cost. Think Frankenstein, but more bizarre. 

This would turn my character into more then 'Evil Necromancer'.

Some examples would be let's say my character hears about a larger then normal, four armed goblin - he'd scramble to find, kill and dismember this creature and then graft it's unique features onto one of his loyal thralls. 

Or he hears about a man with a eagle eyes, or a great warrior with freakish strength, etc etc.

10 hours ago, Jiv'undus said:

If the corpses heal themselves over time and don't decompose then I'm perfectly fine with the power as is; though I'd like to make a suggestion as to add a bit of flair to it.

Allow me to modify corpses or make 'flesh constructs' at high cost. Think Frankenstein, but more bizarre. 

This would turn my character into more then 'Evil Necromancer'.

Some examples would be let's say my character hears about a larger then normal, four armed goblin - he'd scramble to find, kill and dismember this creature and then graft it's unique features onto one of his loyal thralls. 

Or he hears about a man with a eagle eyes, or a great warrior with freakish strength, etc etc.

... I like this idea.

With this addition in mind I'll lessen the nerf for your power's blood volume requirements + add the ability of Frankensteining together various corpses.

Thanks for the feedback!

Also, everyone -- I've added a character sheet format in this article. Please submit your revised character concept to me through pm, and I'll let you know when you can post it.

I'll be making a subforum/tab in this club for the Gillick Plot so we can centralize whatever lore comes from this -- we'll keep all user-created lore relevant to the Gillick Plot there.

Gentle reminder: as soon as you can, please submit the details of your character as stated in the Character Sheet Format. PM it to me, via the Valucre pm, and when everything's approved, you can post it as a separate thread in this club's Gillick Plot forum -- similar to character sheets in User Lore.

So far @Rabbit, @saga juliet, @Jiv'undus, and @Veloci-Rapture have had their sheets approved.

There's no official deadline for this -- if you're busy or otherwise can't post, that's fine, the plot is still set to start in May.

If there is any more concerns/feedback on the uses and limits of the dominions, please either PM me or post in this thread. If not, I'll be updating the list in the next day or so.