Phoebe

The Invisible Man [Artifact]

It was another quiet night in the Genesaris encampment located vaguely somewhere in the wilds of unclaimed territory. Addison was scribbling away absentmindedly, finishing up mountains of paperwork to ensure the continued funding of her forces and acquisition of food supplies. As her head lolled ever so slightly from fatigued and mental strain, the quiet patter of rapid footsteps outside of tent roused her attention. She stood up straight, knitting her eyebrows together in confusion at the urgency of the footsteps. Who could've been up looking for her this late into the night?

@Peter

Posted (edited)

The hurried footsteps were soon to be followed by a quiet ringing of metal against metal, like coins striking together in a bag, the sound growing closer and closer. Paper rustled as the approaching person stopped in front of the entrance to the tent, like newspapers rustling, like the person was searching for an article. "Alright..." The person spoke in a voice probably familiar to Addison, one that she had heard many times before. 

Irryn Hale rushed into the tent, brushing aside the cloth around the entrance and quickly making his way to Addison's desk with a newspaper in hand.

"Addison, you need to look at this"

He spoke quickly, in a rush, wanting to show Addison his discovery as soon as possible. He put the two newspapers in front of Addison, an article very obviously marked in colorful ink.

He pointed to the article as if it wasn't obvious enough that he wanted her to pay attention to that part of the newspaper.

TRAVEL NOTICE

This is a warning from the global weather evaluation agency. We have detected a recent surge in magical activity in the area, similar to those that occur during a mana storm. Travelers are advised to refrain from any non-essential travel.

Nothing special. Why was Irryn so excited over a storm? It looked like he was just being crazy over nothing. That was until he showed Addison his next discovery. 

He took out a fairly large book from the main compartment of his backpack and slammed it onto the table, immediately opening it somewhere at the end.

The last known location of the cloak and its owner is said to be the Valhetien Desert

Read an area circled with a pencil. This is where it all lined up. 

"This can't be a coincidence!"

He almost screamed, even though Addison was less than a meter away from him.

@Phoebe

Edited by Peter

Addison blinked in surprise. The whirl of information was uncalled for; she had been expecting an invite to tea or something of the like.

“. . . Would you like to take a seat, Kommandant?” she asked quizzically, wiping a small bit of saliva off her cheek from when Irryn screamed.

She picked up the booklet, flipping it around and glancing calmly at the text.

What is this all about?

She casually lifted up the article of newspaper and gave it a closer look.

I presume the two are connected. Why is this important?

@Peter

He took a deep breath in, noticing that his attitude might have been a little... invasive. In a calmer tone of voice, he explained to Addison.

"Indeed they are, and it's important because the cloak is an artifact which grants the user the ability to go invisible"

He explained and even though he was calmer, the excitement in his voice was still very clear. Just to prove to Addison that he was, in fact, telling the truth and not just making things up, he flipped the book a few pages back and showed her a sketched image of the cloak as well as a short description of its abilities.He took a deep breath in, noticing that his attitude might have been a little... invasive.

. . . but aren’t there other things which can grant you invisibility? Or at least transparency?

She blinked in confusion.

I’ve seen airships with cloaking technology. I’m sure I could find you a team of researchers to try to develop something of that nature.

She looked long and hard at the picture of the cloak in the book.

What’s so special about it anyway? With magic and technology, I highly doubt that there are things which can be deemed ‘impossible’. You could even brew potions to render yourself temporarily invisible for a period of time.

@Peter

"Well yes, but...''

He went silent for a few seconds, thinking why he wanted the cloak so much, what made it better than all these inventions... Inventions. All these things were new, something that people of this world recently discovered. The cloak was made without any technology, it was ancient, it carried history.

"It's a part of history, it's unique, one of a kind, something that you can't say about the different inventions you listed. I'm asking for your help because of your expierience in pretty much everything. I understand that you might be busy and not want to help me, but I still thought it would be a good idea to have some help.''

He explained himself as bluntly as it was possible, stating his honest and only opinion.

Addison looked up tiredly from all her paperwork. On one hand, she had a job to do. On the other, her knees were aching from sitting, and her right arm was twitching from the exertion of holding a pen.

"Alright, I guess I could use a walk," she smiled dryly and stood up, briefly performing several stretching exercises before looking back at Irryn.

"There are airships, land and sea transport at our disposal. Where are we going to first?"

She strode out from around the table, picking up White Reflection from its display rack as well as a small journeyman's satchel.

@Peter

Posted (edited)

"Right, I think airship would be the smartest way to go, it gives us a good view of the area."
He explained. Any tracks in the sands would be clear as day from up above. 
"Well, the desert would be a good place to start: That's where both of these events overlap." 
He said, rolling his right shoulder back and taking a step back towards the entrance of the tent, eager to already start the adventure, go and do something exciting, new, get moving and escape the boring routine he was slowly growing into at the settlement.
@Phoebe

Edited by Peter
Ping

"Alright," Addison nodded her head in response. "There's various airship hubs all over. Would you like to hire one from New Union City or borrow one of the Order's ships? If I'm going to be honest, I'd rather not continue to leech off of James' generosity."

She frowned glumly with a shrug, leading the way out of her tent and surveying the bustling encampment before her.

"Kora, Irryn and I will be out for a week or so," Addison pulled her secretary aside for a brief instruction. "Until I return, you and Hawk are in charge. Good luck."

Turning back to Irryn, she tightened the straps of her pack and raised her eyebrow.

"Well, where to?"

"Well, if you wish to hire a ship, we can do that."
He explained. He agreed with Addison, James was very generous to them, and they shouldn't abuse that generosity too much.

"Right, let me get Ares."
He said as he walked off to where the gryphon was being kept just to return a few minutes later with his be-winged companion by his side. The gryphon stood tall, it's black feathers lightly waving in the wind. The proud animal walking through the settlement and leaving a small path in the dirt.

"Well, I'm ready."
Irryn said, holding his hand on Ares' back.

Addison smiled in pleasant surprise. She had heard of Kyoku and Irryn's adventure to seek out the unique wildlife of this world, but she had never once gotten the opportunity to see what they had brought back. As the gryphon bucked and roared, she recalled an old Erenian folktale about the pride and courage of a gryphon, and that how only one that could break its will could force it to bend.

"Impressive," she remarked, striding in front of the beast and leveling her gaze with it. In that moment, she challenged the creature, her eyes narrowing as adrenaline began to pump through her body. The gryphon would immediately have sensed an unnaturally frightening presence about her. She was not merely a honed warrior. She was a predator.

After thoroughly intimidating the large animal, Addison walked around its side, before swinging herself onto its back.

"Let's go!"

The pair arrived shortly after in New Union City. The streets were distinctly more crowded than they had been in other countries, owing to the centralized location of the city itself, as well as its long standing reputation for being the capital of Genesaris. Various airship ferries and services were available all over the city. With their gryphon plodding behind them diligently, people instinctively made way out of fear for the majestic beast. Eventually, Addison narrowed the list of plausible companies down to three.

The first was AirFareXPress, a private hire airship company which would not only be completely private, but had the means to bring Irryn's gryphon on board in a small cage. This was the most expensive option.

The second was DeluxAir, a premium public airship ferry service which was associated with the upper class. There was a large on-board pen for animal companions to mix with those that belonged to other travelers. The ferry sat only sixteen people. This option was only slightly cheaper than the first one

The last was SwiftAir, a public airship ferry service meant for everyone. Although they did allow for large cargo to be taken on board, it wasn't specified whether or not it could be live cargo. Of course, there was always the option that Ares could simply fly alongside the airship as opposed to being inside of it, but this would likely result in the tiring out of the mount before they even arrived at their destination. Naturally, this was the least expensive option.

@Peter