Jump to content
ReachForStars

Hello, everyone!

Recommended Posts

Ugh, I'm terrible at titling things.

Hello, Valucre community! I'm Ami, and rather new to all this roleplaying thing. I dipped my toes on some RP forums some eight years ago, but I never stuck around (mostly because, for some reason, the ones I was interested in were either already dead or dying *is sad*). So I'll be hanging out at the Tavern of Legend until I get more comfortable. That said, I'm not new to writing; I've been writing fanfiction for ten years or so, and lately I'm trying my hand at original fiction, too.

I've been exploring the New Member Guide and I have an idea for some characters already, so hopefully I can get started once I choose one to begin with. (The site is huge and a little intimidating, but it sounds like so much fun!)

I'm glad to be here! *waves*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ReachForStars said:

Ugh, I'm terrible at titling things.

Hello, Valucre community! I'm Ami, and rather new to all this roleplaying thing. I dipped my toes on some RP forums some eight years ago, but I never stuck around (mostly because, for some reason, the ones I was interested in were either already dead or dying *is sad*). So I'll be hanging out at the Tavern of Legend until I get more comfortable. That said, I'm not new to writing; I've been writing fanfiction for ten years or so, and lately I'm trying my hand at original fiction, too.

I've been exploring the New Member Guide and I have an idea for some characters already, so hopefully I can get started once I choose one to begin with. (The site is huge and a little intimidating, but it sounds like so much fun!)

I'm glad to be here! *waves*

I'm delighted to be among the first to welcome you to the site - welcome to the site! It's good you've already found the new member guide because that's one of the first things I was going to recommend. I'm hoping that our dividing the site's functions into sections that you can jump to and from allows you to digest it a little at a time. We've been around a long time so trying to take in all of the site at once is pretty much at the bottom of my list of recommendations

If you have any questions feel free to throw them my way, or you can reach out to anyone on the Outreach team listed here at the bottom: https://www.valucre.com/staff/

We also have a Help forum and AMA threads in the Help forum so you can ask questions of the community or of board leaders

What kind of RP interests you? I may be able to highlight some stuff for you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey there, welcome to Val! Always glad to see a new face around these parts. Don’t be afraid to ask anyone for help if you have any questions—everyone here is super duper friendly and eager to make new friends 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ReachForStars said:

Ugh, I'm terrible at titling things.

Hello, Valucre community! I'm Ami, and rather new to all this roleplaying thing. I dipped my toes on some RP forums some eight years ago, but I never stuck around (mostly because, for some reason, the ones I was interested in were either already dead or dying *is sad*). So I'll be hanging out at the Tavern of Legend until I get more comfortable. That said, I'm not new to writing; I've been writing fanfiction for ten years or so, and lately I'm trying my hand at original fiction, too.

I've been exploring the New Member Guide and I have an idea for some characters already, so hopefully I can get started once I choose one to begin with. (The site is huge and a little intimidating, but it sounds like so much fun!)

I'm glad to be here! *waves*

Welcome to the site! ❤️

I'm one of the mentors of the Tavern of Legend, so I'll see you over there. 

Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions at all -- as supernal's mentioned we have a lot of resources to help new members.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, everyone!

For now I guess I will keep on reading things here and there, and if I have any question I'll ask! 😁

16 hours ago, supernal said:

What kind of RP interests you? I may be able to highlight some stuff for you

Ah, I'm not sure what you mean? As I said, I'm kind of very new at this kind of thing. I think something with a small group, and with longer than a single line responses?  If that wasn't what you were asking for, then please correct me 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's definitely a valid way to look at it. You'll find small groups here for sure and the vast majority of our members write several paragraphs but don't feel forced into writing oodles yourself though, that isn't a requirement

I was thinking more along the lines of the "genre" of roleplay. The site itself is generally a fantasy site but within the site are different levels of technology or depths of magic. A very common type of play is adventure based, dungeon crawls, exploring dangerous climates and navigating the lore with your character are good examples but there are also more slice of life and social types of roleplay that aren't as focused on things like using weapons and flinging spells and could be just about exploring differences in how character thinks and approach the world or two perspectives of life coming into conflict

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Several paragraphs is good! I guess it will depend on what the game is about though.

Ah, now I get it. Mmm, I'd probably like to start with something adventure based, and with magic in a high-fantasy setting or similar. I'm not as familiar with sci-fi/high-tech, etc., so I'll pass for now (until I decide to try it out I'm sure 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ReachForStars said:

Several paragraphs is good! I guess it will depend on what the game is about though.

Ah, now I get it. Mmm, I'd probably like to start with something adventure based, and with magic in a high-fantasy setting or similar. I'm not as familiar with sci-fi/high-tech, etc., so I'll pass for now (until I decide to try it out I'm sure 😂

I have a medieval fantasy setting myself named Ursa Madeum! You might be interested in roleplaying in it

Here's the roleplay guide for UM, here's the quest list, and here's the Queendom of Svanhild -- a great adventuring location!

There are also some quests in the Tavern of Legend, if you'd like to try those out ^_^.

Edited by Csl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ReachForStars said:

Several paragraphs is good! I guess it will depend on what the game is about though.

Ah, now I get it. Mmm, I'd probably like to start with something adventure based, and with magic in a high-fantasy setting or similar. I'm not as familiar with sci-fi/high-tech, etc., so I'll pass for now (until I decide to try it out I'm sure 😂

That's great. A lot of our play caters to exactly that, which is probably how you found us! So I'll say that every major continent on planet Valucre can support adventure and magic.

Renovatio is more futuristic, with a heavy presence of the kind of technologies you'd expect in a modern or more advanced world

Genesaris has a fair bit of tech too, they have spell fueled motorcycles and were the inventors of airships, but it has more of an overall emphasis on magic vs magitech

Fracture (previously Terrenus, in case you come across that name) is science fantasy. It uses a lot of magitech, which is basically high-tech stuff with a magical explanation. As my fellow board leader put it "Fracture uses magic to achieve modern results". They have things that function like, say, cars or radios but using magic

Where it can get a little scary (AKA FUN AND EXCITING) is that those are overarching themes but each continent can and does support different kinds of play inside of it. Despite being science fantasy and being the magitech capital of the world, Fracture has had multiple locations with a much lower ceiling on both tech and magic that plays a lot more like traditional fantasy. Ursa Madeum was advertised as "Game of Thrones-esque"

Hopefully all that didn't scare you away because I have some specific recommendations for you!

Ursa Madeum in Fracture (damn, Csl beat me to it with brevity!)

Orisia in Genesaris

The so-new-it-got-approved-in-the-last-hour Isles of Judgement in Alterion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Csl said:

I have a medieval fantasy setting myself named Ursa Madeum! You might be interested in roleplaying in it

Here's the roleplay guide for UM, here's the quest list, and here's the Queendom of Svanhild -- a great adventuring location!

There are also some quests in the Tavern of Legend, if you'd like to try those out ^_^.

Oh that sounds cool! I'm definitely checking everything out! Thanks for the recs 😄 

4 minutes ago, supernal said:

Where it can get a little scary (AKA FUN AND EXCITING) is that those are overarching themes but each continent can and does support different kinds of play inside of it. Despite being science fantasy and being the magitech capital of the world, Fracture has had multiple locations with a much lower ceiling on both tech and magic that plays a lot more like traditional fantasy. Ursa Madeum was advertised as "Game of Thrones-esque"

Hopefully all that didn't scare you away because I have some specific recommendations for you!

Ursa Madeum in Fracture (damn, Csl beat me to it with brevity!)

Orisia in Genesaris

The so-new-it-got-approved-in-the-last-hour Isles of Judgement in Alterion

I won't lie, I'm a bit intimidated BUT at the same time I'm VERY EXCITED to try everything out hahaha. I'm definitely going to look through the recs and see if I'm interested! (Or, what I'm most interested in, honestly...😂)

Do you recommend I start with one character and one game only?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ReachForStars said:

Oh that sounds cool! I'm definitely checking everything out! Thanks for the recs 😄 

I won't lie, I'm a bit intimidated BUT at the same time I'm VERY EXCITED to try everything out hahaha. I'm definitely going to look through the recs and see if I'm interested! (Or, what I'm most interested in, honestly...😂)

Do you recommend I start with one character and one game only?

 

As a rule of thumb I do. Start off with one and then see what your capacity is like after a few days or a week. But the math on that can change with a number of factors. If you only have an hour a day to unwind playing the great game of Valucre, that changes things. If you're able to type 40 words per minute or 100 words per minute, that changes things. If you and one partner agree to posting once every single day or if you agree to posting once a week, that changes things. I'd say about 3 threads / games is a pretty happy spot for a lot of players but there's nothing wrong with doing just 1 and there's nothing wrong with being in 10, as long as you aren't boring yourself or burning yourself out

I'm just guessing but based off the fact that you've been writing for the last ten years, you probably type at a pretty comfortable speed. Given that it's been fanfiction you're probably comfortable with ideas like character development, plot structure, and pacing. I'd say you'd probably be just as comfortable starting 2 simultaneous threads as 1, and then seeing if you wanted to go to 3 from there. They can both be with the same character as long as you know which one came before and which one comes after, or you could try two different characters in different locations or with different functions

I wrote an article not too long ago with recommendations on how to approach coming back into roleplay to get maximum personal satisfaction from it (in my humble opinion). As you fit the exact kind of demographic that I was hoping it'd be useful to, would you be interested in giving it a read? It's kind of long and about the furthest thing from "required reading" as you can imagine, but I do think / hope you'd find it useful as a framework

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the overview. I think starting with a single thread, single character is the best thing for me at the moment - I do have a lot of time in my hands right now (y'know, self-isolation and all) but I wouldn't want to get overwhelmed right at the start. Plus, it's one thing to know how to write a story on your own and a very different one is writing collaboratively, so... yeah. Starting small. 😁

3 minutes ago, supernal said:

I wrote an article not too long ago with recommendations on how to approach coming back into roleplay to get maximum personal satisfaction from it (in my humble opinion). As you fit the exact kind of demographic that I was hoping it'd be useful to, would you be interested in giving it a read? It's kind of long and about the furthest thing from "required reading" as you can imagine, but I do think / hope you'd find it useful as a framework

Oh, yes, please! That sounds like a very good read, and something that can be very useful to me right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ReachForStars said:

Thanks for the overview. I think starting with a single thread, single character is the best thing for me at the moment - I do have a lot of time in my hands right now (y'know, self-isolation and all) but I wouldn't want to get overwhelmed right at the start. Plus, it's one thing to know how to write a story on your own and a very different one is writing collaboratively, so... yeah. Starting small. 😁

Oh, yes, please! That sounds like a very good read, and something that can be very useful to me right now.

I have the chat topic here, which links to the article itself. Sorry for making you do the extra click but I wanted you to see there was a space for feedback if you have any. Of course you can also do it here in this thread or in PM if you wanted to share thoughts privately:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, how did you discover Valucre? I noticed you put "Other social media" in the referral section in your profile and am curious where specifically 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Csl said:

By the way, how did you discover Valucre? I noticed you put "Other social media" in the referral section in your profile and am curious where specifically 😄

Tumblr! Specifically, a post by f**kyeahroleplayadvice. Actually, I started off at the NaNoWriMo forums (where the sudden wish to get back into RP came back) and then I went off looking for something that could suit me, and after looking through different options and finding none that called my attention, I finally ended up searching tumblr - then ended up here! (I'm pretty happy so far! I much prefer the forum environment to the blog or journal one 😛).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...