Ataraxy

New Member Pool Party!

Image result for pool party anime

Hey there! Welcome to Valucre, our little slice of the internet where each and every person has the opportunity to contribute to the world in either small or big ways! Nearly all members of the community are highly collaborative and enjoy brainstorming with each other to develop something many people can enjoy; in this way you'll notice many player-driven plots (rather than admin-driven like in some other websites) and the largest of those player-driven plots from even years ago continue to be referenced in modern day roleplays. That's how heavy an impact players can have on our world!

Although it might seem a little intimidating at first since there's a whooooole bunch of lore and members that have been here a while, don't let that momentary tentativeness cost you a fun Valucre experience 😄 After all, we were all new here at some point; even the admins! I've been here since 2013 and there's still some lore that I haven't read, but that hasn't hindered my experience in the slightest - rather it continues to give me the opportunity to have a similar experience as my character and to be surprised by places they haven't been to yet! The first step in getting comfortable with the site as a whole and the lore in general is to check out our New Member Guide! It's quick, simple, and gives a nice overview of Valucre's ins and outs.

So, all that's left is for you to be like Ziggs (that little monster in the image lol) and make a big splash! 

Whenever I have the time and opportunity, I'll be updating this post with tags of all the new members registering to Val, usually within the last month/ 30 days! Feel free to ask me any questions you'd like here or in PMs and I'll do my best to answer them or direct you to someone who can 🙂 You can also chat with other new members and set up roleplays!

Although this thread isn't in a board where roleplaying is allowed, new members are generally directed to the Tavern of Legends if they want to start by dipping their toes into the pool. 

Hmmm~ and I guess if enough people are interested I could set up an actual in-character pool party roleplay lol Pool Party of Legends haha ironic considering the image I chose 😛

First Wave!

Second Wave!

@miouion @CrimsonSun @babytheclown @SniperKingz @Liore (hunter x hunter picture?) @skylight @Sakano @DistantArrow @Lord of the Memes @coooldev @The Oracle @Lisa_Azier @Biolofish @Crisis @Anna @saz @Pyxi @Elle @Jack OF Realms @Iemari

Welcome to Valucre!

Edited by Ataraxy

Hi! Thanks for the warm welcome! 😄

1 hour ago, Ataraxy said:

Although it might seem a little intimidating at first since there's a whooooole bunch of lore and members that have been here a while, don't let that momentary tentativeness cost you a fun Valucre experience 😄

Yes! It is very intimidating but at the same time it really got my blood pumping. There's like, so much to do, so many places to explore, and so many characters you can play with! I've barely started but I'm already having fun.

My first character is already at the Tavern, so if any newbie like me wants to interact or set up a roleplay over there (maybe someone wants to do a quest with me?) hit me up and we can plan something! 😄

1 hour ago, Ataraxy said:

Hmmm~ and I guess if enough people are interested I could set up an actual in-character pool party roleplay lol Pool Party of Legends haha ironic considering the image I chose 😛

Oh that sounds like it could be fun :'D

1 minute ago, ReachForStars said:

Hi! Thanks for the warm welcome! 😄

Yes! It is very intimidating but at the same time it really got my blood pumping. There's like, so much to do, so many places to explore, and so many characters you can play with! I've barely started but I'm already having fun.

My first character is already at the Tavern, so if any newbie like me wants to interact or set up a roleplay over there (maybe someone wants to do a quest with me?) hit me up and we can plan something! 😄

Oh that sounds like it could be fun :'D

That's fantastic! I'm glad to hear that you're already enjoying Val 😄

Also, I really like your ign. I've always followed the motto "reach for the starts and hit the furthest thing you can" to motivate myself in school, so it really connects with me. Probably not what you meant by it, but nonetheless, great name haha

For any potential RP interest people may have with you, what types of roleplays are you most interested in? Fantasy? Syfy? Romance? Action? Adventure? Action? War? Slice of Life?

2 minutes ago, Ataraxy said:

That's fantastic! I'm glad to hear that you're already enjoying Val 😄

Also, I really like your ign. I've always followed the motto "reach for the starts and hit the furthest thing you can" to motivate myself in school, so it really connects with me. Probably not what you meant by it, but nonetheless, great name haha

For any potential RP interest people may have with you, what types of roleplays are you most interested in? Fantasy? Syfy? Romance? Action? Adventure? Action? War? Slice of Life?

Actually! That's pretty much what the handle was about! 😄 Thanks, I like it too :'D

Mmm, as for my interests... I guess fantasy and adventure would be the ones I'm most interested in, at the moment. Though I could do action or slice of life. Sci-fi and romance are ehhh for now, particularly for my character at the moment, so I'll pass :'D

45 minutes ago, ReachForStars said:

Actually! That's pretty much what the handle was about! 😄 Thanks, I like it too :'D

Mmm, as for my interests... I guess fantasy and adventure would be the ones I'm most interested in, at the moment. Though I could do action or slice of life. Sci-fi and romance are ehhh for now, particularly for my character at the moment, so I'll pass :'D

Fantasy and Adventure 👍 That'll probably be the two major reoccurring themes you'll see lol 

In more specific terms, are you looking for a sort of happy go lucky adventure? One that's more horror like? "Save the world" adventure? Maybe something more like a "quest to defeat the demon lord" type?

18 minutes ago, Ataraxy said:

Fantasy and Adventure 👍 That'll probably be the two major reoccurring themes you'll see lol 

In more specific terms, are you looking for a sort of happy go lucky adventure? One that's more horror like? "Save the world" adventure? Maybe something more like a "quest to defeat the demon lord" type?

Definitely something simpler than saving the world or a quest to defeat the demon lord! At least for now hahaha since Kaila is very new and very weak right now. I plan to level her up doing some small quests and getting her to learn magic/use more weapons or win an artifact or something before sending her into more interesting and difficult adventures 😛 (...of course that also has to do with the fact that I've never played a quest before so I'd like to get to know the mechanics before jumping straight into a big one! 😄)

On 3/22/2020 at 4:13 PM, ReachForStars said:

Definitely something simpler than saving the world or a quest to defeat the demon lord! At least for now hahaha since Kaila is very new and very weak right now. I plan to level her up doing some small quests and getting her to learn magic/use more weapons or win an artifact or something before sending her into more interesting and difficult adventures 😛 (...of course that also has to do with the fact that I've never played a quest before so I'd like to get to know the mechanics before jumping straight into a big one! 😄)

Ooooh an artifact thread huh? Now those are super fun imo! Valucre is just coming off of an artifact craze though, so there might not be a whole bunch available at the moment. If you ever decide to check them out, there are a couple left in Terrenus but Genesaris has quite a bit of artifacts left. They're based from an area where the culture is based on japanese culture, so the distinctions there are really cool 😄

Reno has a couple lower class relics but there's only one artifact and it was already claimed 😞 

But there are like a billion possible small quests to do and player/ board leaders have quests posted everywhere, so if you're ever having trouble finding a place to start just lemme know! I'll try to help you find something interesting haha

On 3/22/2020 at 5:43 PM, MaskedHero said:

Whoa wait I've posted 79 rp messages?! 

Thank you all for the starting support, I'm still finding my way about but I hope that I can someday be able to shepherd newcomers withe the warm welcome I received!

Yeah man, you're on point so hard I'm a bit worried it's gonna puncture you lmfao

I hope that one day you will be able to do that as well! It's always very exciting to witness that moment a "new player" who is tentative and just kinda giving Val a trial run suddenly switches into a "Valucre member." 

7 minutes ago, Ataraxy said:

Ooooh an artifact thread huh? Now those are super fun imo! Valucre is just coming off of an artifact craze though, so there might not be a whole bunch available at the moment. If you ever decide to check them out, there are a couple left in Terrenus but Genesaris has quite a bit of artifacts left. They're based from an area where the culture is based on japanese culture, so the distinctions there are really cool 😄

Reno has a couple lower class relics but there's only one artifact and it was already claimed 😞 

But there are like a billion possible small quests to do and player/ board leaders have quests posted everywhere, so if you're ever having trouble finding a place to start just lemme know! I'll try to help you find something interesting haha

Yeah man, you're on point so hard I'm a bit worried it's gonna puncture you lmfao

I hope that one day you will be able to do that as well! It's always very exciting to witness that moment a "new player" who is tentative and just kinda giving Val a trial run suddenly switches into a "Valucre member." 

I hope to move into a Villian soon, as I want to figure out how people move plots forward and how they use magical weapons and items in this rp

2 minutes ago, MaskedHero said:

I hope to move into a Villian soon, as I want to figure out how people move plots forward and how they use magical weapons and items in this rp

Well my friend, you've come to the right person! As someone who's risen both hero and villain characters to or near to the metaphorical top of the IC world hierarchy, feel free to use my knowledge/ experience as a resource. Do you have any specific questions about that which I can answer?

Yes actually.

How do you go about making a character powerful enough to be a threat yet not be labeled op or have them shrugged off for people not knowing if you can actually pull the character off or not.

And also how do you get like, the confidence that you wont fudge the thing up and you yourself discredit the character or make him seem unthreatening?  Maybe it's the new place jitters but man you guys can really really write.

I want to leave it to Ataraxy to answer in depth because he really does have the practical experience and I'd love to see his take on it, but I will say one thing

A fundamental shift in perspective will make things a lot easier, and that's approaching games collaboratively vs competitively. I think both can be fun and both have their respective perks, both are games I engage in, but that when you're being competitive you have to be much more worried about slipping up, because those mistakes are part of how other people win, perhaps even the result of your opponent(s) strategy. When you're being collaborative on the other hand, everyone is rowing in the same direction, and anything you make a mistake on is something people will want to help fix rather than capitalize on because that's what the "win conditions" support. They look similar but it really is a different kind of game

There's no unequivocal axiomatic truth here but I'll say with great comfort that for the majority of cases collaboration leads to greater, easier successes, in no small part because your successes won't always be at the cost of someone else's

Edited by supernal

Wow, you see that's the writing I'm talking about!

But seriously, this is exactically what I have been looking for in a community, and also the reason I am having a bit of trouble adjusting.  For most of my rping I have been in a mc server that has... not been really supportive or cooperative.  Here I think I can find the bits that I have been severely lacking over there, mainly the ability to open up my characters to not just how they fight but also to the deeper emotional stuff.  I have almost never done that in a rp and when it does happen it feels like the biggest payoff when someone genuinely cares for one of the characters you put alot of heart into.  I hope that I can find that here soon.

Good questions! Tough and complex, but good lol I'll answer them one at a time rather than as a general group answer since I think it'll be more clear that way.

5 hours ago, MaskedHero said:

How do you go about making a character powerful enough to be a threat yet not be labeled op or have them shrugged off for people not knowing if you can actually pull the character off or not.

So while this looks like a single question, it's actually asking three separate questions. As I said above, I'll answer each independently for more detailed information.

Q1: How do you go about making a character powerful enough to be a threat?

A1: This is entirely dependent on what you mean by "powerful" and "threat." In theory I could have a completely non-magic character that has the political authority to dominate the world. But let's just say by "power" you mean magic/ supernatural energies/ inhuman abilities and by "threat" you mean other characters view them as a foe not to be lightly angered for, to a certain extent, they fear the retribution of that character. 

Now that we've defined the question's variable, we can get into the detailed answer.

Much as with other types of roleplay intention that have to do with influencing the thoughts of other characters, it's all about that character's "reputation" or how people view that character. For this variable, I'm not just talking about how other characters view your character but also how other players view the character. Both are important in their own right. While a player's perspective ultimately dictates the character's opinion, that doesn't necessarily mean that "Player A knows Player B wants Character B to be a villain" translates IC to "Player A makes Character A treat Character B as a villain because that's what Player B wants." What you should aim for is creating an agreement between player and character that your character is not only supposed to be a villain, but has done things that have made them a villain. 

Foundation

The best way to increase your character's reputation, in your case I believe you want to do this through an increase of infamy, is to start small and build a solid foundation. Think of it like a tree. A tree without roots will be easily toppled. With time, it may even simply collapse, all on its own. Say your character's start is Town A. In Town A they steal an apple. Then they steal a car. Then they rob a bank. Then they use that money to finance an organization. That organization kills a prominent "good" NPC of Town A. That organization then replaces the good NPC with their own puppet. Each step of your foundation should also be cemented by the Player through Lore Articles. Two good examples of strong foundations that have led to long lasting groups with consistent activity over years are the Dead and the Cult of Power

Now, to be clear, you don't have to have an organization or a group that's affiliated with your character. It does help, however, since it naturally gets other players involved. The more people who are aware and invested in your character/ their story, then the stronger your foundation and the more well known your infamy becomes. 

If you want to build a foundation for a villain character not connected to a group, my advice would be to collaborate with other villains and their groups. While it's always cool to think about have a "lone wolf" type villain, they aren't likely to have much success trying to solo the world. I suppose that it is possible, but Valucre is orchestrated to support collaboration between members, which a lone wolf character inherently rejects. One possible route I can see is to clash a lot with "hero" characters and build your infamy through collaborating with heroes/ the "other side." It's not a route I recommend since the most you're likely to get from that is a nemesis, but that's something you can get through a villain group much easier since your infamy will grow exponentially faster that way. 

Advertisement & Involvement

While I found this element painfully obvious, it's actually missed a lot. Players and characters can't reference your character in a thread or among themselves if no one has any idea who your character is. The more people who are aware of your character and have a least a general idea of their goals/ achievements, the more success you'll have in influencing their opinions. 

The strongest way to have Player A determine that Player Z's character is a "villain to be feared" is by having Player B tell Player A that Character B fears that villain character. 1 person is crazy. 2 people are a comfortable weird. 3 is a group and a movement. 

If you keep any eye out, you'll see that many people talk about their characters OOC (out of character) and also talk about other people's. It's important to not only talk about your character for hours since it'll make you look self indulgent; however, bringing it up naturally is encouraged. This goes back to Supernal's point about collaboration. Collaboration is, essentially, advertisement. You get others involved, make them aware, make them invested. My villain character, Lilith, rose in infamy not just because of the canon actions that she did but because the plots I created surrounding her collaborated with other characters in a way that intertwined multiple character stories. 

That brings me to the next variable:

Canon Actions & Events

Effecting "canon" is extremely important in the rise of a character toward being either a villain or a hero. If you aren't already aware, "canon" refers to both the recorded history of Valucre and areas/ establishments which are part of the site wide lore. Canon cannot be ignored or claimed false.  

If Character A destroys Random Town C, you aren't really affecting the lore because Random Town C isn't a canon setting and no player gives to shits about a town you made up just to destroy. It can have a bit of influence if you add it to your character lore or as part of their kill count, but it doesn't do much more than that. If you don't even submit that thread for canonization, then it's simply headcanon rather that site canon (Head canon are events that players consider canon for their character but that might not necessarily be part of site lore). 

One of the first things that I did with my character in order to influence canon was I had her obtain an "artifact." These are considered to the most powerful weapons on the site through canon, meaning their power can't be disputed. If your character were to attack mine without an artifact, my character would have an immeasurable advantage... usually. There are ways to negate artifact powers and sometimes the negation of those skills are required for a story to flow properly. Having an artifact requires a lot of personal judgment for fairness, so my advice would be to use them conservatively and solely within a collaborative setting. 

My character then used the power of that artifact to spread a deadly disease through Casper, a canon city in Fracture. This led to a response by Peacekeepers, which are kinda like the Justice League of Fracture. Now that my character was on their radar, I could start to slowly escalate my antics. 

Type of Actions

This one is short: be creative. Everyone and their great-grand children has launch a giant Kamehameha and blown up a city. No one is awed and no one will pay attention, especially since such actions are pretty much banned from much canon settings. Focus on the little wins that add up into a big win. Poison, illness, political schemes, drugs, secrets, artifacts, etc. 

Villain characters should focus on actions which aid their goal. It doesn't always have to be something bad or something evil. A character who only ever does something evil for the sake of being evil is boring as fuck. Which I'll revisit in a later element. Inner conflict is very important for villainous characters, as is having conflict with other "villain" characters. Bad guy A isn't only gonna have beef with Good guy A, but also with Bad guy B. An example is that my villain character spends most of her time searching for artifacts, relics, and objects of power because she needs power to free herself from the grasp of something I call the Lunar Consciousness. This search for more powerful items occasionally leads her to doing bad things, but she rarely does a "bad" or "evil" thing because she wants to do that thing. The distinction is invaluable when trying to craft infamy that is interesting and that will last. There will undoubtedly be people who poke jokes at small distinctions you make, for whatever reason, but that's simply because they don't really get the depth of it. In any case, villains aren't supposed to make sense. Any good or realistic ideology has major flaws. 

Hero characters should focus on collaboration with other heroes. In the past I've seen hero characters try to establish themselves by hunting down villain characters but I've never once seen this actually work. No one really wants their character to die, especially to another player's character at that other player's will. For my hero, the moment he really became well known across the board was when he gathered together all the ruling and "hero" character of Fracture in order to create an alliance known as A.N.T. (I make a distinction between ruling and hero characters because not all rulers are heroes). 

Persistence

This is the most important element in my honest opinion. If you don't have persistence, your character will be stalled somewhere in the lower middle end of the hierarchy. And to be clear, there's no shame in that. The majority of characters end up falling around that area because the Player fails to persist and usually switches goals or even characters. It usually occurs when they try to set up an event or plot and it totally flops. Not everyone will be interested in your character's storyline, sometimes no one will care about that particular event, and sometimes people just don't like how you roleplay. 

If it hasn't already happened, it probably will. But that's life! Not everyone can enjoy the same things in the same ways. The trick is to keep your chin up, shoulders back, and march forward. They start a thread with you and drop it? Find someone else. Can't find someone else? Do it your self, summarize it, or scrap it and do something else. Discouragement is the main danger someone with ambition will face. Just remember, obstacles are meant to be overcome. 

The second part of this element is that building a strong reputation takes time. Just like Rome, it won't be built in a day. For my villain character, I'd estimate it took me about 2-2.5 years before she really took off and became well known throughout the community. As for my hero character who has tragically died, he was a bit easier because he was the emperor of a board I created. So he had the benefit of being the embodiment of my OOC authority. But even with that, it wasn't super easy to get him well known. 

Complexity

Your character needs to have depth. A villain who's core identity is being a villain because being a villain means they do evil things and they like doing evil things because they're evil is circular logic and rather ridiculous. A hero who's a hero because they have a pure soul and are naturally selfless is also pretty bullshit and boring. Any good hero has doubts and struggles not to pass the grey line, while any good villain struggles with their own nature. Whatever or however that may be.

Also, have a goal! A character isn't just their appearance and their history, but also their mentality. I call this the "who, what, when, where, why, how" character factor. Who is your character at their core? What do they want the most desperately? When did they start to want it and when do they think they'll be able to get it? Where did they start to want this, where are they in getting it, where should they go next to get more of it? How did they get to where they are, how did they get this desire, how do they usually go about their daily life? etc etc. My best characters exhibit these character factors in their threads (or at least I try my best to include them). 

Okay, next question! lmao

Q2: How do I stop this character from being seen as OP (overpowered)?

A2:

Collaboration

Although the site's default rule is mild powers, there's a lot of wiggle room with that which is highly dependent on the Player you are roleplaying with. I and someone in my villain group may be attacking Random City 1. Because it's just me and them, occasionally we might just flex for the fuck of it and basically god mode the city to dust. Although we have canon backing through artifacts, this isn't really "allowed" by site rules. But if all the players are okay with it, as long as you're not effecting a canon setting, it really and truly doesn't matter. In the fight with the Peacekeepers I mentioned earlier, MP (mild powers) was broken many times by both sides. The reason this worked is because the end result was predetermined so it was all just extra flavor for the story. 

Competitive Play

I can't stress this enough, but if you want a character to be either an infamous villain or a famous hero, avoid competitive roleplay with that character at literally all cost. T1 fights, for example, and most all other competitive combat roleplay systems, are Player versus Player, hence PvP. It's not designed to really be character v. character. You win with your character; your character doesn't win. 

Winning a competitive roleplay with a character does nothing for them. Losing a competitive roleplay with a character you've been building up through canon is discouraging and, also, totally irrelevant since such competitive roleplays are designed to be out-of-context from canon (meaning canon itself is usually irrelevent since, again, it's PvP, by definition it's really an OOC thing). 

This doesn't mean you can't have combat, but you should have it be story combat where both your and your roleplay partner are aware of the ending, whatever that might be. 

5 hours ago, MaskedHero said:

And also how do you get like, the confidence that you wont fudge the thing up and you yourself discredit the character or make him seem unthreatening?

Q3: How do you get the confidence that you won't fudge the thing up and discredit the character in a way that makes them seem nonthreatening?

A3: This is a two parter since I have two separate suggestions:

Fall Back to Your Foundation

You should have the confidence because, at this point, you've goddamned earned it. Always, always rely on the foundation that you've built. I'd need an example of how one might "fudge the thing up" but just keep your chin up and shoulders back (metaphorically). So long as you follow my suggestions above, there won't likely be a moment where you're like "fuck I shouldn't have done that." If such a situation does occur, contact your roleplay partners and talk it out. I still encounter situations where someone says "I disagree with what you're doing" or "I don't like how you're using canon and plot armor." Although at first you might feel slighted or even personally attacked, take a breath. This is communication and it's important. You can't have proper collaboration if people aren't honest with each other. If you 100% disagree with what they're saying and they aren't willing to compromise, find a different partner that will jive with your story better. 

Basically, don't let other people's perception influence your persistence. Work your way through your mistakes to the best of your ability and remember, even if the big bad wolf comes to huff and puff your house down, you've built a strong foundation. Let the fucking wolf huff and puff all he wants. That big bad wolf can be someone else or even you, who is inadvertently doing something not great for your character. So long as that foundation is there, you have a place to fall back on. In video game terms, I suppose you can count this as a save point? I don't play video games so I'm not too familiar with the terminology. 

Fake it 'Till You Make it

No one really knows what you intended or didn't intend to do with your character, so if you fuck up and don't want to let them know for whatever reason, fix it in your next post, edit, or just forge on ahead pretending it was on purpose and part of such larger scheme. Again, it's hard to give a proper response without a specific example of a scenario where this may happen, but confidence, even pretending to have confidence, will go along way. 

Center of the Story

If you don't want to accidentally make your character look nonthreatening, don't let them be a "side character" to another character. Now, this doesn't mean they can't be a side character to a plot or story. The character doesn't always have to the be the main or driving character of a story (though I recommend having it be so as much as you can once your foundation is built). Instead. what I mean is that they should never be someone's side piece or lackey if you want them to stand at the very top, unless you're very careful to make sure they aren't mentally subordinate. A good example of this is @danzilla3's character Ankou. Although he is one of Lilith's "soldiers," he is only taking that role because he cares about Lilith. His mindset isn't subservient, but he never directly challenges Lilith. What this does is creates an understanding that who is stronger is currently unknown and that Ankou is currently only not fighting against his position because he chooses of his own accord to follow her. But, even so, now even if Ankou specifically choose to break off from Lilith most people know him as the powerful lich who stands by Lilith's side. Dan would have to break Ankou off from that establish preconception of his character, which adds an entire new dimension to the story (which can be good, since it also adds depth to a character but would make the path a lot longer). 

Work with people. Not against people. 

The Cult of Power is something I created to help players essentially get villain characters off the ground by letting them ride my character's coattails a little. It's a bit of a shortcut that works, but if you follow what I've said it's totally unnecessary. The design I created affects characters a little bit different from other orgs, so becoming a Paragon (someone under Lilith), doesn't necessarily apply the same rules as the previous paragraph. Part of this is because Lilith is so well known already that the coattails to more benefit than harm. But, in the end, it still involves the implication of someone who became evil through Lilith. 

I hope this helps! I tried to answer your fairly complex questions as best I could. Just keep in mind this is more of a guide line than anything else. There's no "right answer" or "absolute perfect way." This is simply how I view it and based on the paths I took. 

Edited by Ataraxy

Wow, that is a whole lot of useful information.

This is also just exactically what I need to work on.  While I believe I do some of these things subconsciously, I need to figure out how to use threads and how people run threads.  Hopefully that will come with time though.