Phoebe

Addison and Kyoku are Boomers

Seated at a small square table equidistant apart (not because of social distancing, the chairs just happened to be placed that way), Addison, Kyoku and Shishi Ravenbush stared blankly at each other.

In her hands, Addison held out a small white box about the size of a cup. Kyoku had one as well, except that his was black.

"So. . . These are what the people of these world use to communicate?" she asked. "So it's basically advanced radio."

She unboxed the device, picking it up and holding it tightly in her palm as if it were a piece of glass, and that any impact would shatter it instantly. It was white colored except for a black screen. The frame itself was sleek, being only a third of an inch in thickness.

"How do we use this?"

@Zashiii @Kyoku

kkCZlEJ.jpg

Shishi Ravenbush tore her attention away from her burger just to answer her companion's badgering questions. "Where did you even get that? That's way ahead of your time like a couple of centuries. Give or take."

Wiping the crumbs off her cheeks and lips, she continued her exposition. "Anyway, that thing works like a radio. Less analog, but more digital. Try pressing the 'power' button." She set down her burger to point at the location of this mysterious power button. "Make a long press but don't drop it when it starts lighting up."

Addison poked the device from various angles.

What power button?

Her index finger slid over a small gauge, which she began to flip up and down, causing the device to vibrate every alternate flip.

It’s not turning on, Miss Ravenbush. Unless the vibrations are some sort of. . . Warm up sequence?

@Zashiii

Kyoku would do what Shishi had instructed, making sure to be as cautious and careful with his actions as possible. The reason to his cautiousness being that he was actually worried and scared about what would happen if he made any mistakes. His fingers moving slowly as sweat slowly dripped off his face, his muscles tensing up.

@Zashiii @Phoebe

Edited by Kyoku

Dx2Fvs7U8AIcOhX.jpg:large

Somehow, one of Shishi's eye seemed to twitch in response. "Try pressing the other button. Long press for ten seconds or so. If that shit lights up, then you pressed the right one."

Then she would return to her burger while grumbling under her breath. "Monkeys and typewriters. Monkeys and typewriters."

Addison turned the device upside down, holding her finger against the button firmly for what felt to her like eternity. Suddenly, the front face of the device lit up, causing Addison to squeak in surprise, nearly dropping the phone onto the ground.

"Okay! Okay! I did something!" she exclaimed in surprise, her eyes widening in shock. "What did I do?!"

@Zashiii

As Kyoku held the power button of the device, I'd suddenly light up. Scared and confused, Kyoku would jump out his chair and distance himself from the device, his face clearly showing that he was overwhelmed.

"WHAT DID I DO, WHAT THE FUCK?! WHAT DID I DO?! AAHH!" The Ruler screamed in a confused and fearful manner as he whaled his arms around

@Phoebe @Zashiii

Edited by Kyoku

AffectionateCheerfulFoal-size_restricted.gif

Taking a deep calming breath, Shishi Ravenbush's eyes glazed over the pair's direction. "Welcome to the digital age. Now that you have succeded in powering on your device, next would be to try checking out its features." Her words are now hollow, devoid of life and emotion. "Pick it up, Kyoku. It doesn't bite."

"Try pessing at the screen."

Edited by Zashiii

Addison's gauntlet thumped against the bright screen of the device.

"It says, 'Hello'," she remarked. "And 'Press Home to turn me on'. What's home?"

After several attempts at trying to make it work, she removed her gauntlet and tried her finger.

"Aha! A breakthrough!" she exclaimed with excitement. "But where is the home button?"

@Zashiii

Kyoku would slowly and carefully reseat himself as he then picked back up the device. Sweating immensely, he'd shift his eyes over towards Addison and mimic her moves. He'd then, after a bit of trial and error, successfully make the device work.

"Ahh.. Thank god.. I think I did it.." He said in a relieved manner as he then sighed.

@Zashiii @Phoebe

Rolling her eyes, Shishi stood up from her seat and dragged her feet towards Addison. "Here," she spoke while pointing at the screen. "This is the home button." Points at the home button. "Then this is the call button." Points at thr call button. "It works like a radio. Only more digital. This is like last century's tech and using it makes my eyes bleed." 

Addison rubbed her eyes wearily, poking the home button forcefully with her index finger. The phone unlocked and she was in.

"Ah! It worked!" she exclaimed in pleasant surprise. Proceeding to press the call button, she was immediately faced with another problem.

". . . How do I call people?" her contacts list was completely empty. And she had no idea what contacts were.

@Zashiii

"Gooood."The words of praise felt strange coming from her pouty mouth. She did want to apologize for being a bit rude but unfortunately for Kyoku and Addison, she's still going through her rebellious phase which is rather unfortunate for the two 'boomers.'

"Similar to a radio and a selection of frequncies," Shishi started as she pressed a few more times on the screen to show her point. "You would be selecting from a selection of contacts which would be your receiver. Here, I already saved my number. You can also ask James and the others their number later. For now, this is how you call." 

Shishi pressed a couple more times on the screen to show the two how it was done, then something hummed inside her coat's pocket, followed by what seemed to a 'fart.' The sound made Shishi blush in embarrasment as she fumbled her pockets in search of her phone.

"Stupid shitty sister," Shishi grumbled under her breath as she answered her phone. "Now put the bloody phone on your ear like I did," she said to Addison. "Tell me if you can hear my voice."

@Phoebe

Addison's eyes lit up like those of a child who had been given candy.

"OH MY GOD, iTwOrkS."

She began to bounce up and down on the couch before clearing her throat abruptly.

"Thank you, Miss Ravenbush. Now if you'll excuse me, I have business to attend to."

And in the same quirky manner of quickness and excitement, she swiftly left the room, leaving Kyoku to his inevitable frustration.

"JAMES."

She asked bluntly.

"I'm here for your phone number."

@Fierach

Edited by Phoebe