Jotnotes

Dead God's Inheritance

Dead God's Inheritance is a thread situated in the Moss Forest of Taen, around a small village called Pellas. Pellas, according to recent news, has come into the great fortune of a whale washing ashore, which supplied the entire town with food, oil, fuel and bones for tools, and craftswork. Trouble arises, in the realization that Pellas doesn't live anywhere near the sea, yet still managed to export so many of these goods to the rest of Taen. 

This is the OOC for the thread, which can be found in the Taen Board, or here. Remember to follow both threads, so you know when someone has posted in them!

Currently, there is no posting order yet, as we're trying to get everyone in. When you have time, please feel free to introduce yourself here, and drop your character sheet here as well, so people have an easy reference to your character's appearance, among other useful stuff.

Ideally, I would like everyone to get their first post in within a week, so we can start quickly. The thread will be broken up into three 'scenes' or settings: The Ferry, Pellas and the Seaside Cannery. I will be providing full maps of each area, which will include details such as items of interest, strange events, enemy encounters and so forth. In addition to this, you're encouraged to make your own fun, either by engaging with each other, or the setting I've supplied you with. We will get the most out of this thread if you take the time to write posts that give everyone else involved in the scene something to work with. By that, I mean, touch stuff, read things, think out loud, flirt and fight, try to 'guess' the ending early, if that's the sort of thing your character might do.

If you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask in here! I have lots of free time each day, so I'll probably reply quickly on most days!

@Zashiii @Tyler @Shatter @Hydrangeas @Rabbit

Posted (edited)

I made it. Here I am: Cecil.

I'll read everyone's profiles and post within the next few days or maybe today, I don't know. I'm packing a lot of catch up into a few days and need to do one more character profile.

Edited by Shatter

Alrighty, looks like we aren't waiting on anybody, so next post goes up sometime tomorrow before work.

Post will include Maat and Quill acknowledging everybody in order, describing Maat and Quill's appearance somewhat, and moving towards the first setpiece. The first setpiece will involve exploring the few buildings on this side of the river, and finding a means of getting across. If you guys have a particular way you'd like to do this; tell me about it! If you prefer staying in a group, or splitting into smaller groups, that's totally okay, but I wanna know about it first! It helps me write an engaging narrative, and provide useful tools.

I have a map, and some points of interest coming up sometime after work today everyone. Together, these will allow you to decide where you plan on exploring, and what you might expect to find while doing so. This is, again, part of my ongoing attempt to make writing as hands-free as possible for everyone, but if you have issues using it effectively, you can always ask for help.

Okay, everybody, take a quick gander at this before any of you post next, as it will hopefully make things useful while you write. For your reference and use, I have prepared a map of the area. This map offers you a general idea of what the buildings look like, where they are located, and what there is to see and interact with.

Dead_Gods_Inheritance.png?width=702&heig

Now, as you can see, it's a bit rushed, but functional, and contains everything you need in order to figure out what you're up to, and where you are. However, you can probably see that there are multiple things identified on the map, and with some kind of icon next to most of them. These are what I am tentatively referring to as 'post points'. I say 'points' in the same way you might say 'bullet points', and not in the score-keeping sense. They are small, noticeable plot beats that everyone can choose to see and engage with. Every room has one of these points, and multiple points within it as well, and you are free to use them however you like! You might be wondering what I mean by 'use them'. Below this little explanation is going to be a series of spoiler tags, each containing a brief description of each plot point. Thing of it as what your GM might say to you if you decided to check something out, or, what text might show up if you were to click on an object in a point and click game, or an adventure game of any kind. These little descriptions exist not to tell you what you see, but to provide context. With context, you can write in whatever you like in regards to interacting with the post point. 

To give a very straightforward example, Maat, after letting everyone inside, is going to check out the Ferry Shop in order to find out something about the Ferry. While he's in there, I might write about the Ferry Shop in greater detail, as well as describe anything on the shelves Maat might notice as he explores. Lastly, Maat will examine the Damaged Ferry Engine in the corner. All three of those points (Ferry Shop, Shelves and Boxes, and Damaged Ferry Engine) are post points, and I can describe each of them as much as I need to while I write.

With that in mind, I don't really think there's a 'proper way to use any of this information, because it all largely exists to give you the tools you need to write a post, without me holding your hand. You can decide what your character cares about, what catches their eye, and even tell others how they choose to respond to them as they come across them. Alternatively, you can just use them as general guidelines, and write your own thing. It's up to you!

I would personally announce in here, first, what I intend on doing, or where I'm going, then posting afterward. That way, other people can see at a glance what ground will be covered, and who will experience what, and coordinate with that information. If that seems like too many steps for you, feel free to find your own pace.

There are some places and objects that are on this map, that you cannot immediately see. These, I would consider 'discovery-sensitive' and are hidden in an effort to offer a little bit of surprise. If you manage to get close to one, or will see/interact with something important, I'll probably tell you about it in this channel, in a spoiler tag. You can then implement it into your post, however you like. Hopefully this will look and feel 'natural' and give you a bit of agency in responding to some unknown elements. We'll see!

Lastly, and I feel this is very important: Some Music

Posted (edited)

Very nice!

Just for context, it might not be real relevant, but relative to the buildings, where is the river and where is the rollerbus? I assume west and east respectively, since I assume we are all (as of this moment) standing outside the door on the east/right side of the c-store. I just kinda wanna be sure. I think it would mean that the "strange lights" are visible just to our collective "right" if we are facing the store door/window.

Also, if I get the chance, I'm gonna try to post for Taylor tomorrow. Probably going to have her go through the grocery isles for food/drink (she's been walking in the rain for hours) and any sort of towels or change of clothing, and probably wind up near the locked restroom!

Edited by Tyler

1 minute ago, Tyler said:

Very nice!

Just for context, it might not be real relevant, but relative to the buildings, where is the river and where is the rollerbus? I assume west and east respectively, since I assume we are all (as of this moment) standing outside the door on the east/right side of the c-store. I just kinda wanna be sure. I think it would mean that the "strange lights" are visible just to our collective "right" if we are facing the store door/window.

Also, if I get the chance, I'm gonna try to post for Taylor tomorrow. Probably going to have her go through the grocery isles for food/drink (she's been walking in the rain for hours) and any sort of towels or change of clothing, and probably wind up near the locked restroom!

For context, the Rollerbus would be to the 'right of the map, where the strange lights appear, but a bit lower down. The river, on the other hand, is on the left-hand side of the map, next to the Ferry Shop, but about twenty feet away. I would say that, for the sake of timing, you wouldn't be able to see the strange lights until after Taylor enters the Grocery store. This is because if she saw the strange lights while they were all outside...the story would end quickly, and unhappily.

Looking forward to your post tomorrow!

Grocery Store and Ferry Shop Post Points

Grocery Store

Spoiler

The walls aren't terribly tall or strong-looking, and the glass seems quite thin and cheap, but it beats being outside. The interior of the convenience store is a pallid, uncomfortable temperature and without the power restored feels almost ethereal at this time of night. There are signs of life here and there--scattered papers and knocked over cups and displays in nearly every corner of the shop. The walls are a dull stone grey, interrupted frequently by colorful, but nonsensical posters for various products. It seems as if the locals must speak some other language than Common--all of the posters are written in some foreign script, and yet the products are all labelled normally. Smiling, bland faces grin at you from vomit-orange backrounds, offering you whatever they're holding in the moment. Across one wall, three very lonely-looking slushy machines drip rot-colored frozen syrup into a slowly growing puddle on the ground. Close by, a hot water tank sits cold, the tea bags next to it forlorn and unused and next to that, an equally unhappy-looking hot chocolate machine. For some reason, a vending machine on one wall close to the glass is still active, and appears to accept regular currency, but with the food on the shelves its a difficult decision to justify. The counter is filthy, and covered in a layer of what seems to be melted ice. Behind it, magazines and cigarettes have been knocked from their places onto the ground. Just beyond the resolving power of vision, a dark hallway leads elsewhere, and to the left of the counter, the doorway into the adjacent courtyard.

Grocery Shelves

Spoiler

The shelves appear to be well-stocked, and abandoned in a hurry. There's a pretty common mix of candies and snacks that you could find just about anywhere else, and from the looks of the faded price tags, business here has been slow, with prices slashed down low in order to try and sell stock. Of note are several red advertising cards in each and every hall, declaring the same offer; buy this product, and get a can of whale for free. There doesn't appear to be any refrigeration in the building, so the only beverages available are room temperature. 

Canned Whale Pyramid

Spoiler

Near the front of the store, and close to the glass is a large, relatively new-looking pyramid of canned whale. The cans are, again, quite bland--in fact, they're almost featureless, with dull red labels and boring lettering and yet there's something nostalgic about these cans. You feel certain that somewhere, somehow, you've seen these cans before, even if this whole Pellas Whale catch thing seems brand new to you. The pyramid, speaking of which, has been knocked over, and while many still stand, many have long since rolled across the store in every direction. It's probably safe to take a can with you, but you doubt you need much more than a single can of whale.

Strange Lights

Spoiler

While moving around the store, close to the glass, you swear you can see something moving out in the rain. It clearly isn't the lights from the rollerbus--or is it? They don't appear to be headlights of any sort, and perhaps more strange is how despite the heavy rain and darkness, they were so easily spotted. Perhaps someone out there is wearing some sort of reflective vest? Perhaps the owners of the store aren't as far away as you thought.

Bathroom Key

Spoiler

Vaulting over the counter and sifting through the cigarrettes and discarded magazines for the toppled cash register, you find it, and it rings in response to you attempting to open it. Despite this, it opens without issue, yielding the meager cash within, as well as a single key on a wooden lanyard, that plainly says 'bathroom.' It seems like no matter where you go, everybody has the same problem with their restrooms.

Bloody Footprints

Spoiler

Attempting to venture down the darkened hall towards the back office, the room quickly becomes sticky and wet with some unseen substance. With a light source of any kind, you can glance down and observe the state of the floor. What appear to be large, human-like footprints seem to be both walking into the back office, then returning afterwards. The fresher of the two, those leaving the back room, are a dark, ugly crimson, intermingled with the mud and wetness of the older pair. Shining a light down between the cracks of the doorway reveals nothing of great note, as something heavy seems to have fallen in the room as well, blocking your view. Whose footprints are these?

Courtyard

Spoiler

Stepping back out into the rain and into the courtyard, you find yourself in a small, fenced-off enclosure of some kind. The lawn here is thick and untrimmed, with no mower in sight, and a single, large tree grows in spite of the buildings it is so close to. A picnic bench rests to one side of the tree, and both ends of the courtyard terminate in fencing. One of these ways seems to lead to a smaller, third building with no markings on it at all, and a heavy, rusted metal door. On the opposite end of the courtyard is the pathway into the Ferry Shop. There are muddy tracks out here, too, leading in both directions. These probably belong to Maat.

Breaker Room Key

Spoiler

Sitting on the edge of the park bench is an old, red and very familiar-looking tin can that has been bent and worn from use, and is currently filled with ash, cigarette butts and water. Next to the overflowing can is a single key, not on a key chain or lanyard, that has a yellow rubber grip. While collecting the key, there is an unexpected bolt of lightning, and glancing skyward, it's possible to see, only briefly, the strange silhouette of a large...something, moving through the clouds. Strange shape, these clouds; Strange how they move like muddy water overhead.

Breaker Room

Spoiler

The Breaker Room door opens slowly once unlocked with the yellow-grip key, and swings inward. Light spills out from within, bathing the entrant in a sickly red light. There is the strong smell of rust and blood in here, and immediately it becomes apparent that the wall here is made of heavy iron sheeting, as opposed to the stone tiles and concrete of the other buildings. 

Generator

Spoiler

Sitting in the corner of this room is a heavy metal generator that seems quite unlike anything else you've seen before. It lacks many modern features, like safety handles, wheels for ease of transport, and it isn't even bolted to the ground. Strange tubing and wires run everywhere--a pilot light seems permanently lit within, like an ancient gas furnace. The fuel tank is empty, and absolutely reeks of rotten fish. What do they use to power this thing? You'll have to figure out, before you can restore the power.

(Restores power to the Grocery Store, and the Ferry Shop garage door)

Locked Hatch

Spoiler

In the other corner of the Breaker Room, there appears to be a large hatch, made of some red, rusted metal. Peeling warning tape lines the edges, and a heavy padlock keeps it firmly shut. You'd need to find bolt-cutters, or something to get through this hatch.

Distant Ferry Horn

Spoiler

Approaching one of the fences, you can see where the river supposedly begins out there in the dark and rain. Squinting somewhat, attempting to see it, you are interrupted by the unexpected sounding of a far-off ferry horn. The sound sends out both a sense of apprehension, and of curiosity. Could the Ferry be moving already? Things grow a little more uncomfortable, as you realize the sound came from the East--from the Moss Forest surrounding the buildings.

Ferry Shop

Spoiler

Immediately upon entering the Ferry Shop, you are greated by the scent of rancid fish oil, and the sound of heavy rain hammering down on the roof overhead. The shop is dimly lit, but dimly beats 'not at all' by a slim margin, and so it can be explored. Tall shelves of sheet metal welded together in crude, non-uniform sizes dominate the majority of the room, each of them stacked high with boxes, and loose scrap and tools. It'd take a while, but you might just find anything in here if you're willing to look for it. It'll take a while until the lights come back on, though.

Damaged Ferry Engine

Spoiler

By winding through some shelves, and maneuvering around some boxes, one can find what appears to be the main method of pulling the Ferry across the river if it runs out of fuel, or nobody happens to be on it: an engine. This heavy, bolted-down machine is roughly the size of a fridge on its side, and features a complex series of heavy gears and wheels, and a thick, rope-like metal cord that wraps around an axle before running through a hole in the wall and out towards the river. Based on some premature observations, it seems the Engine functions by using torque to pull the ferry along on a tow line, after which it can be refueled and sent across the river somewhat faster. Close by is a sort manual of sorts, detailing the various pieces used to make it work. The Engine seems to be missing one of the larger gears, a fuel source, and some kind of primer bulb. There's also what seems to be a long-necked screwdriver lying around here, typically used to manually set the cord on the axle if it ever slips off. The cord itself seems quite rusted, and are those...barnacles growing along it?

Shelves and Boxes

Spoiler

It takes a lot of effort to go through the boxes, no matter how you choose to do it, but there's a fine haul of things to be found if one is willing to look. Shuffling through dusty old boxes, one can find various vehicle parts, many of which are still in their boxes, a number of loose odds and ends, some poorly-kept tools, and even a few oddities, like a fishing rod and tackle box, a portable floodlight, a half-empty first-aid kit, some towels and in one box, over a dozen cans of whale meat. Of particular note is a large orange canister, most likely for fuel, that smells strongly of rancid fish, which explains the smell. 

(If you want something specific, ask me about it)