Posted (edited)

◀ Return to ToL Index

The Tavern

The Tavern is both everywhere and nowhere. Those who come upon it find it through different ways; through doors and holes, or even as simple as stepping from one world into another.

You may have happened upon the tavern on a nondescript journey, traveling through nothingness until you happened upon a quiet little hamlet out in the middle of nowhere.

Eventually, your journey leads you down a dimly lit path, finding that night has come upon you faster than you first expected. You come to a location said to be the corner of all existence, the point between the world of Valucre and all other possibilities.

There sits a quaint structure, small and unassuming. It is only one story, hardly more than a shack, and certainly nothing like what was promised by those claiming to have once stayed within its walls. The paint is peeling, the sign is careworn and faded. Perhaps you feel cheated, having come all this way just to find some hole in the wall that gives only a welcome home to drunks too far into their cups to notice the difference. Still, there is an inviting smell coming from inside, a welcome change from the smell of death you left behind. Perhaps you should enter then, and stay for a drink or two. Even if this tavern is not what was promised, a drink and a hot meal would do you some good.

And there you find that the Tavern is all that was promised you - and more.

QXwOa07.png

It reaches high, the ceiling reaching hundreds of feet above. Layers upon layers of rafters fill in the gaps, where some patrons sit, served by a young man who traverses them with ease. Down below, the sprawling layout reveals a tavern with more than a dozen corners (each with its own table), despite the improbability. At the center of establishment is a large stage, where bands of bards play and leave- their lineup and styles as random as anything could be. Along what could be called the back, a long bar stretches out, ending at a doorway leading to the kitchens. Also in the back is a door that leads down to the storage basement.

Weapons can be checked at the door or brought to the weapons counter, where the character will be relieved of their weapon and given a chip when they're ready to reclaim it.

Locations

Weapons counter - located on the right of the door. All entering the Tavern can either check their weapons at the door or bring them here. Characters will be relieved of their weapon and given a chip when they're ready to reclaim it.

Kitchens - Off the back of the bar are the kitchens, where you can speak directly with the cook. On the other side of the bar is the office where you will often find the head of waitstaff, if she is not out on the floors herself.

Bath House - A neat row of clean outhouse facilities are in the lot out back of the tavern. A bit beyond that is a building about a quarter of the size of the tavern itself, and houses three large bathing tubs.

Staff

Some of the staff are transient, coming and going every few days. The only constants in this ever-shifting tapestry of are the core staff members who manage the tavern itself, each serving their own special function.

The Cook: Ghallen Berwater – Gaian Priest

A former Gaian priest who has retired from the cloth to take up his second greatest passion: food! He supervises kitchen operations, gladly takes any compliments to the chef direct, and is liable to give tours of his facilities to the curious passerby.

Ghallen is bearded, broad-shouldered and swarthy, carrying a warrior’s build. This fearsome figure is softened somewhat by the sky-blue apron (embroidered with the Terran Empire flag) he’s always wearing.

The Bartender: Vaddok Fantore – Former Alterion Merchant

An alchemist businessman who never tires of trying to sell you another drink or some fine plate of food. Vaddok is a devoutly religious man full of information of Renovatio as a whole. He loves to talk, and will craft you any drink while spinning yarns about legends pertaining to Valucre.

Vaddok is rather average-looking, with thinning brown hair and green eyes. Has a cowlick on the back of his head that stands up rather prominently.

The Bouncer: Lonely Night's Hand – Former Genesarian Edgemaster and Arcantian

A stern and quiet man with little patience for rulebreakers. His real name is unknown; most just call him ‘'Night'. As a former Edgemaster and a manipulator of darkness, his powers are great and his skills with short swords deadly.

Night is taller than most, with a large build and piercing gaze. Carved on his left arm are intricate runes. He keeps his dark blond hair in a braid. He tends to keep himself at a respectful distance from most people, patrolling the tavern clad in brigandine armor.

Head of Waitstaff: Levhea Morytol – Former Elendaron adventurer

A former adventurer from Elendaron seeking some stability in her older years, Levhea is a middle aged woman with patience for any sort of shenanigans or tomfoolery. Although her exterior is cold, she is happy to regale you with tales of her homeland and her travels.

Levhea is well-built, with fiery red hair that’s greying at the edges. She still wears splintmail armor much of the time, and has a great sword big enough to cleave a giant's head off in one clean stroke.

Head of Entertainment: Cadriel Douma -- Bard from parts unknown

A bard who likes to keep the majority of his personal details close to his chest. He is a marvelous performer, playing dozens of instruments, singing with a sweetness sure to move an angel who has been graced by the muses themselves, and he also has other talents, including juggling, knife throwing, magician's tricks, and comedy routines. Cadriel is a friendly, sociable guy who loves to make people happy and can drink with the best of them.

He appears to be approaching middle aged now, but damn if that man is still not one of the prettiest to have ever been formed. He has angular features, jet black hair and piercing blue eyes that just melt your soul. He has a smile that reaches ear to ear and a musical laugh. He only carries daggers on his person, but prefers to resolve conflicts by tapping into his musical talents, which have a flare for magic.

Recurring Staff

Spoiler

Tova -- A young, anthropomorphic clouded leopard. He’s a bit cocky and tends to do tricks when traversing the rafters. He is The Rafters server, as nimble and acrobatic as an ape in the jungles, he was hired for his abilities to assist those patrons with difficult logistical seating placements.

Clair -- Young faerie barmaid: Looks nervous and eager to please. Often speaks in a rehearsed manner, quite rapidly. Tiny, around 5’0”. Average looking, aside from the glimmering fairy wings on her back. Blonde hair, blue eyes. A polyglot. She comes from Seinaru Forven.

Kieran Demure -- An angsty, often melodramatic Orisian vampire server. He’s constantly complaining about current events and tends to make passive-aggressive remarks towards the customers. He’s tall, skinny, and has gold eyes and dark hair tied in a short ponytail.

Pilandok -- A satyr girl, dark-skinned, with brown hair in a braid that reaches her shoulders. She has two short goat horns on her head, and her lower half are goat legs. She’s very blunt, quite sassy, and often gets into arguments with Kieran. She comes from the Great Pine Barrens.

Tlaloc and Xoltl -- A pair of small Quetzling lizardfolk that wear little bowties. They only speak in whistles and bob their heads to signal stuff, but they are adorable and very helpful. They come from Taen.

Reginald Clucumberington the 983rd -- An Oruagar - a humanoid sea cucumber with no face. His skin is an even, wrinkled, rubbery texture. He wears a very fine butler uniform. He comes from Casper.

Vaul -- A minotaur who mans the weapons counter. He often goes up to patrons who don’t check in their weapons to personally remind them of the Tavern’s rules. A bit of a hothead. Will also let questers take spare weapons in the “Lost and Found” pile whose owners haven’t returned for them. He comes from Alethea.

Zezzicryt -- A dragon who was once part of a group of dragon cultists that attacked the Tavern. Not all the dragons fell during battle. One managed to fall inside the range of Ghallen's protective magic, sparing his life when the Dragon Cultist General decided to hit friends and foes with a blast of necrotic magic designed to drain life from others. Ghallen later found him playing "dead" as he was told to, and could see that the dragon-kin really did feel bad about the whole ordeal--those cultists, they sure can be convincing! So, Ghallen got him patched up, but not all is amended yet. The Tavern expects people to earn their keep, and that those who wish to reform their way should do so through hard labor. Vaddock set the dragon-kin to work as the official toilet-scrubber, keeping the privies clean. So far, he's been doing a pretty good job. 

Most just call him "Z." He is 7 feet tall, and rather intimidating at first glance.

Edited by Csl

@Csl

"Uhh-Mr.Vaddok could you open a Way-Gate to Genesaris ?" Evelynn asked with a soft tone as she flipped a coin at him as a tip.   

She looked at Vaeril , slightly petting him at his head , she quietly mumbled at him. "We're close , Vaeril-Really close"

Posted (edited)

@Evelynn Serana Nightmoor

Vaddok caught the coin with a nimble hand. He looked puzzled, but inclined his head to the woman in a slight bow.

"Of course, of course dear," Vaddok chuckled. "You have no need pay me for a free service, you know. But the tip is much appreciated. You are so kind; that's a good soul in you, madam. I'm sure your journeys will be full of fortune."

The man pointed to a doorway on the western end of the Tavern. "Just pass through those doors, go straight on ahead, until you come to the Lobby. The Way-Gate station will be right there. You'll know them when you see them. They're glowing portals, bright violet like the auroras above the Mount Eira. Oh, you must visit it if you can. The Cold Mountains are in Genesaris as well. Those blazing tapestries of blue and violet, stretching across the heavens..." He clutched a hand to his chest. "It's a wondrous sight to behold."

Vaddok snapped his fingers. "In fact, I have a tonic that will make you suited to those high altitudes."

He turned to the glass cabinets behind the counter, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. Sunberries and Shawnee springwater. His tone turned to one of warning. 

"It can be quite dangerous up there, you know. Strong winds, freezing cold, and thin hair -- goodness, you'd best be careful if you wish to climb Mount Eira."

Edited by Csl

@Csl

"Oh no , just Genesaris!" She said as she looked at him , appreciating his "blessings" for her she gave him a warm smile. "There won't be any need for a tonic , i can tolerate a bit of a cold wind-By the way , thank you" Evelynn thanked him as she put her hood up and walked to where she was pointed.Afterwards she found herself infront of the Way-Gate , Evelynn took a deep breath before walking in , awaiting for what dangers could lie there or who knows maybe it will be peaceful.

@Csl

A sentient suit of armour from the gaps between it's armor a faint hue of blue tells people that there is something within, his deep crackling voice echoes through his armor

this place, where am I? What is this place? 

his heavy metal armor clashes as he moves

at least my joints and weaponry still intact....

What can I do here....... let's see....

@Maelstrom

A minotaur lumbers up to the armored figure, puffs of steam streaming from his nostrils. He studied the suit of armor for a moment, ears twitching quizzically. I smell metal, but not man.

"'Scuse me, sir." He taps the sign on the wall, above weapons counter. "No weapons allowed. You gotta deposit your sword here- dun worry, I'll give ya a chip so you can claim it when ya leave the place again."

@Csl

"I am afraid that it could not be done, I mean... I could surrender my blade but it'd return by itself pulled by my magnetic field so... I guess I'll skip and would rather have you looking after my deeds here"

"Or would you like me to hand over my whole armor? 

Pulling his own hands off just to see it return with a small electrical spark and a clanging sound of two metal plates crashing to each other

@Maelstrom

The minotaur huffs, looking displeased. He crosses his arms, eyeing the strange figure's armor from helmet to toe.

"S'fine, I suppose. Just don't be makin' any trouble, or you be dealin' with Night."

He heads off, returning to his seat behind the counter.

A weary-looking young man approaches. Fangs glint when he opens his mouth; this, coupled with the unnaturally yellow eyes and alabaster skin, hint at his inhuman nature.

"Welcome to the Tavern of Legend," the young man says. The tone of his voice could only be described as lukewarm. "The name's Kieran Demure. Please, take a seat. We have a variety of food and drink to choose from."

With a limp hand, he gestures to one of the many tables placed around the space.

@Csl

"Such kind gesture would be much appreciated, yet I have to refuse your offering of sustenance for there is no need for such menial needs for me...."

Sits down on a chair near the counter let's hope that I could get some information from the bartender... They're oftentimes useful for intel

"Excuse me sir, I am new over here... Where am I? What is this place and my name is..... Maelstrom... Call me either Mael or Strom, whichever is easy for your tongue"

@Maelstrom

As the stranger at at the bar, the vampire server wandered away, muttering something under his breath.

In contrast, the bartender greeted the newcomer with a beatific smile. "Good day, honored guest," he said, hands clasped together. The bartender was middle-aged, looking rather unassuming. The sharp look in his jade eyes, though, said otherwise.

"You are in the Tavern of Legend, sir Maelstrom" said the bartender. He spoke in a quiet, dignified manner, addressing the being before him as if he were nobility. "It a place that rests between the rest of the worlds and the world of Valucre." Here, his green eyes glinted.

"Ah, but I must introduce myself first. My name is Vaddok Fantore." He looked up and down the suit of armor. "You must've come from a long way, good sir. Would you perhaps be in need of an elixir to rejuvenate you? I have many concoctions that can restore mana, arcana, all kinds of magic."

Posted (edited)

"Maelstrom, huh? I like it. Thats a name with weight behind it." Gabriel the Poet laughed heartily, still nursing his drink. "I, my friend, and Gabriel the Poet. Good to meet you."

The newcomer was engulfed in his armor, a fact that made Gabriel uneasy but intrigued all at once. Personally, he felt words were all the protection one needed. Still, he'd found that magic did the trick more often than not. 

He gestured toward the bartender. "Vaddock here has some nice goods. I'd take him up on it. Any destination in mind, Mr. Maelstrom?"

@Maelstrom

Edited by ticklefarte

Frowning, Gabriel shrugged. "That," he said slowly, "is a loaded question Mr. Strom. People here pray to all sorts of gods. Well...pray, beg, curse, and probably more, in the name of their gods. I don't know your god. Who am I to tell you where to beseech them?"

He took off his beret, inspecting the hat for any stains. Around them the Tavern seemed to experience a lull in excitement, usually an indication that people would begin to head to their rooms while the true nightlife took over. That was what Gabe wanted to see. These people, wandering and stumbling in their drunken stupor...great material for his writing. 

"As for where we are," Gabriel continued with a grin, "I think Vaddock already told you! The Tavern, friend! I come across it now and again, but always by accident, and I presume the same happened to you on this fell night. From here, we can go anywhere. The only issue is that it tends to attract people from all worlds. Really annoying for someone like you, I'm sure. Personally, I'm from Valucre. Lovely place, but it can get pretty boring. Poetry requires more than boring. I'm looking for adventure." He sighed, then looked up. "What's your story? Why the armor?" 

@Maelstrom

7 hours ago, ticklefarte said:

Frowning, Gabriel shrugged. "That," he said slowly, "is a loaded question Mr. Strom. People here pray to all sorts of gods. Well...pray, beg, curse, and probably more, in the name of their gods. I don't know your god. Who am I to tell you where to beseech them?"

He took off his beret, inspecting the hat for any stains. Around them the Tavern seemed to experience a lull in excitement, usually an indication that people would begin to head to their rooms while the true nightlife took over. That was what Gabe wanted to see. These people, wandering and stumbling in their drunken stupor...great material for his writing. 

"As for where we are," Gabriel continued with a grin, "I think Vaddock already told you! The Tavern, friend! I come across it now and again, but always by accident, and I presume the same happened to you on this fell night. From here, we can go anywhere. The only issue is that it tends to attract people from all worlds. Really annoying for someone like you, I'm sure. Personally, I'm from Valucre. Lovely place, but it can get pretty boring. Poetry requires more than boring. I'm looking for adventure." He sighed, then looked up. "What's your story? Why the armor?" 

@Maelstrom

"I am still puzzled to what kind of creature I am, but if I were to call it with language from my world.... It would be close to a Djinn, as for the armor..."

He looks at his own gauntlet and swivels it around to inspect it

"Why do hermit crabs wore other people's shell when it already have an exoskeleton?"

Bluish hue begin to shine brighter from his faded eye and your hair begins to get drawn to his armor like some sort of static electricity flows throughout his body

"That is my answer"

@Csl

The armor returns to life as it's inhabitant re-magnetised it, allowing it to move once more.

The sound of clanging steel and dragged chains echoes fro. Within the armor, it might scare some visitors, yet they weren't hurt but their hair were drawn to it, as well as some metal objects close to it

"Mr. Vaddock was it? Can you tell me who could be my guide here? This whole world is alien to me..... It is somehow scary"

as the armor moved towards the bar counter and asked the bartender