Tyros

Rath Lux - Quests: Witts' Progenial Problem

@Aliester Magna

As the final gusts of wind scrape against the sails of the steam-powered airship that brought you to this strange land and blast away at the fabrics, you find yourself overlooking a long, moon-shaped coastal township. Port Reach, the name echoes in your mind, as your previous conversation with the ships captain comes to mind. Unconsciously, you test the name on your lips, feeling the taste of unfamiliar air and even more alien energies permeating everything around you.

This land.. for a lack of a better term, it seems to be alive. It lives and breathes, as many shaman may tell you, but your peculiar senses allow you to see even deeper into the soil, to feel the very unnatural, and very real blood flowing beneath the land, seemingly dripping upwards from its earthen prison.

A mystery indeed, but something tells you that whatever beings lie below are not the enemy. At last, you leap away from the ship and wave the captain goodbye, having paid him for your journey at its start. The bearded man nods in your direction, then looks away.

You turn your head just in time to be blasted with a facefull of sunlight... yet, it does not harm you as much as regular light would. Almost as if this was not truely light at all, but something fulfilling a simillar role. As the light fades, you move slightly to the left, causing your pouch to clink with what few coins you have left; and reminds you of the reason why you are here.

Almost as if called by fate, a brownish paper flies into your hands, a bounty set on a missing person, the daughter of a tavernkeeper within the Port. The only details the papers provide is the picture of a black-haired and pink eyed elf girl, dressed in casual, if quite boyish clothing.

The Tavernkeeper is called Witts Mklay, and is the owner of a tavern named the Whistling Garn. It seems that fate is calling you, young knight. Will you answer its call?

Edited by Tyros

I look carefully at the face of the girl from the paper   "Let's see...If I want to find this person, I'll have to go see the most popular places around here"   Aliester had answered the fate's call and has decided to find the missing girl. But will this quest have a happy ending or will it end with suffering? He will need all his wits if he is to accomplish his goal. As we can see, he starts walking into the port and asking people all around about the mysterious girl.

In the end, fate strikes once more. as the young knight stumbles across a tavern. This tavern, called the Whistling Gam by those who visit it, seemed at first like an ordinary tavern one could see at every port. Yet, something told him, that this was the place he had to enter.  We watch him from afar as he opens the door of the tavern, knowing well what he had came for.

Ignoring the people who were standing at their tables,  Aliester walked towards the counter, hoping that the Tavernkeeper would have a clue to bring him closer to solve this mysterious disappearance. 

He looked at the Tavernkeeper in the eyes, and put the paper with the woman's face on the counter         "Excuse me sir, do you know anything about this?" 

Aliester waited for man's response.

Edited by Aliester Magna

@Aliester Magna

The heavily bearded man gruffed and huffed angrily in response."Well, 'course I know 'bout it. I'm the one who made the paper two days ago! That's me only daughter ya see on the picture...." The man trails off, as an immense sadness grips his entire form.

"I-I... w-we... we had a disaggrement, a fight, the night she left... Oh lords above, I - I regret everything I said!" He whimpers for a few moments and then seems to clench his fists. "But! My child is a strong one. She is capable, a-and brave!" He sighs, doing his best to console himself before pointing to a large pouch next to him. It seems like the pouch has been sitting there long enough to gather the meekest bits of dust, even as the stack of bronze and silver coins glistens from the inside, which is easily caught by your supernatural eyes.

"Please... y-you.. you're here to help, right? Not just to console me or try to tell me that looking for her is a fools errand, like the rest of these pieces of shit!" The tavernkeeper angrily glares at a group of particularily well-armed men. Adventurers, most likely, though it seems this bunch is made up of cowards.

"Bloody outsiders..." Witts grits his teeth and looks directly at you."So? Are you one of them?! Or someone actually useful!?"

Edited by Tyros

Aliester looked in the eyes of the Tavernman and responded calmly.    "I wouldn't have asked about this in the first place if I wouldn't have wanted to help. I came a long way so I can help you find your daughter"    He leans his left hand on the handle of his longsword while talking with him.     "I am not a coward and never will be. I rather despise cowards like those." 

Aliester looked again at the paper and then at the Tavernman with a serious expression   "I will make sure that she will return to safety. Where was the last place you saw her?"

At that moment, Aliester was prepared for everything.  He knew that his quest will not be easy, but nonetheless,  a glance of hope could be seen in his eyes as he speaked with the Tavernman.  

@Aliester Magna

The tavernkeeper scowled and smirked at the group of adventurers, who snorted and make rude exspressions towards the man, almost as if he had won some kind of invisible bet. "Aye, the last place I saw her was in this very bar, packing her things into an already overstuffed leather backpack." A terrible sigh escapes him before he continues. "You won't find any traces of her in the open like this. A-ah, here." He hands you what looks to be a silvery key. "Upstairs, second room to the left. She.. she left her room's key here and didn't even lock the door behind her, though I did afterwards just to keep it safe from potential burglars."

A courageous nod follows as the man points to a darkened hallway behind him."You'll need to pass by the kitchen to get there. Mitty here will be making sure you don't touch what you aren't supposed to." Witts points towards what looks to be a massive python, a snake with glistening, pure-white scales and an unhooked jaw large enough to swallow your head whole. It hisses at you, coiling around the tavernkeeper and preparing to strike should it appear to be required.

It seems the beast senses your true nature by instinct, but does not consider you an outright enemy just yet."Hmm? That's weird. Mitty! You're never like this to anyone; I swear she's a real cupcake around here, your outsider smell must be... *clicks tongue* peculiar, in some way, or another."

Aliester looked curious at the snake, and, even if his instict had told him that he should defend himself and take out his longsword, he managed to control it and speaked calmly, while holding the silvery key in his left hand.          "Maybe your snake just doesn't like me. Still, I don't mind.       The young knight stood there, as if waiting to be guided by Mitty, the giant python, who did not yet trust Aliester.  He looked into the giant python's eyes and talked softly.              "Please, will you allow me to go upstairs? I only wish to help you and your friend."       Aliester continued to look at the Tavernman and at Mityy.

Will Mitty aid Aliester in his quest or will he fail? There is much at stake as even the young knight's life could disappear in a blink if he is to make the wrong choice.

There is a spark in the snake's eyes, almost something indicative of an intelligence, an emotion far deeper than one would ever consider an animal to possess. With a nod from Witts, the snake slithers its way into the kitchens and guides you through the marbled corridors with practiced ease, but it stops right at the base of the stairs. It turns to look at you, gaze into your soul in a way only a serpent could.

Eternity seems to switch with seconds for a time, but eventually, the beatific beast relents and slithers back to its owners presence, eager to be rid of you as you seemed to be rid of it. Collecting yourself, you take a step up and the stairs creak almost uncomfortably loudly, indicating that the wood is old, perhaps older than the existence of the tavern itself.

Nevertheless, the amber-colored lumber managed to hold your weight as you climb your way to the top and fit the silvery key into its designated slot. The door opens to reveal a rather strange room; on the left is a desk filled with various drawing tools, several large books stacked on top of one another, each of which goes into deeper detail about one herb able to be found on the island or another.

One excerpt seems to have been cut out from the obviously expensive books: "... these hardwood pine trees are named for their ability to produce amber within minutes of being struck, which makes them difficult to cut down and use in woodworking, but also causes them to form a natural coating of amber after being felled ..."

The original books clearly possessed a much grander assortment of information, but it seems that you've found your first clue. The tavernkeepers daughter was seemingly quite fond of some kind of "Pine Tree" native to the Island.

Aliester carefully read the part wich described the special tree that the Tavernman's daughter was fond of.  The description of the herb and the fragment he found had a connection, something that was not going to be ignored by him.  He memorized everything he could and went outside the room. After locking the door with the silvery key, he went downstairs, as each step he takes felt like an eternity, until he reached the end of the stairs.

He began calling out to Mitty, seen as without the python, he may touch something he shouldn't.    "Are you here? I need to return to the Tavernman."     The young knight looked around him, in hopes that he can see the scales of the serpent,  for even such a dark corridor can engulf even the brightest light.

Rather than the snake, it looks like the Witts heard you from behind and promptly motioned for you to come down the white-marble corridor. "Ay! Come on, don't be shy now. We trust you a lot more now." The man laughs merrily. "Why, ye even remembered to lock the door behind you! That' alone is bloody amazing."

He calms down and his face is quickly wrought in familiar dread, fraught with worry and barely-restrained panic. "So, did ya find any clues to where my daughter might've gone?"

Aliester reached the end of the corridor and approached  Witts and responded with a calm expression.   "I saw her notes about a herb and a kind of pine tree so I am guessing she went to find them. Do you happen to know of a forest with pine trees nearby?"    The young knight asked witts and sighted in relief as he finalky found a clue but what may happen next? We do not know yet.

The Tavernkeeper looks at you dumbfounded, or perhaps in a way that indicates he just heard something incredibly stupid, then realization dawns in his eyes."Uh, yeah, 'bout that. There's only one type o' tree on Rath Lux; Ambershale Pine." He clears his throat."But ya couldn't have known that, bein' an outsider and all."

A midget bard with an ukelele coughed and laughed in your direction, before being flipped off by Witts and hissed at by Mitty. "Oy! I ain't payin' ya shite if ya keep antagonizin' my customers like that. Are you a bard, or a fuckin' clown?!" A deep sigh escapes the bearded man. "Anyways, there's two main forests on the Island; Southern and Eastern Shalewood. If my daughter went into one of these forests, then it'd likely be the first of the two, considerin' its just out of town... but if she was that close, someone would have already seen her by now!"

He grows worried. "O-oh, my poor daughter. I hope nothing has happened to you!" A silent prayer is muttered before he continues. "Please, take the coin pouch with you and find my daughter. I- I don't have much more left to give you right now, but in a few days I-I c-c-can!"

One of the cowardly adventurers from before approaches you and spits on the counter. "Y'all 'll never find 'er. Sodden bitch is probably garn shit by now." He grins as he slams a slightly larger pouch of coins on the table, though unlike the tavernkeepers, your senses indicate that this one is filled up with poor-quality bronze coins, in comparison to the high quality silver and bronze provided by Witts. "So hows about ya ditch this silly quest o' yers and come with us? The muscles ya got, yer definitely good with that over-compensating sword and we could use another ba- *clears throat*, we could use, a helping hand." He winks at you with a sly smirk.

Witts seems to deflate with sheer horror as his snake lets out a loud hiss. Either way, both parties appear to be waiting for your reply before taking action. Alas, the atmosphere has managed to quite suddenly and surely become heated...

Edited by Tyros

It was a decision that the young knight had to make. One choice could change his entire quest. Will he give up on his quest and accept the offer that the adventurers showed him, or perhaps he will decided to pursue on his quest to find the Tavernman's daughter? Only he can decide what happens next with his words.

Aliester looked at both parties and let out a deep sigh.  He grabbed the bag of coins from the adventurers, and, threw it onto a wall. Afterwards, the adventurer could be seen on the ground as Aliester had punched him right into his face, breaking his nose. He looked at the adventurers with disgust and responded.     "You can have all the money in the world, I would never work with scum like you. Get out of my sight before I decide to break your bones." 

The young knight then looked at the Tavernsman and smiled. "Do not worry, I shall find your daughter, and, there is no need for such a big reward, for only a silver coin would be enough for me."

In the end, Aliester had made the right choice. His will could not be tempted by the foolish adventurers attempts to convert him into their party.  He remained still, awaiting for Witts's  response.

Even if he made that action against the adventurers and knowing he will have new enemies, the young knight did not care for he had only one thought on his mind: To find the Tavernman's daughter.

The bearded man, and his serpent, both fall into unified tears as your exclamation. "T-thank you... You are a good person. Tell me, sir knight, what is your name? Even if you do not manage to find my daughter o-or... or if something horrible has happened to her, I would like to spread your name, so that people will know you can be trusted." He shivers and wipes away his tears. "Us Rathians are a bit hateful of outsiders, you see. So the least I could do for you is vouch for your name! That'll make your interactions with everyone else slightly easier."

"A-a-and, if you ever find yourself back in my tavern, I'll be sure to give you a special discount!" He seems to have cheered up, although the poor father is clearly on the verge of breaking apart at any given moment. It does not take much for you to realize that you should not tarry around for long.

Aliester responded to the Tavernsman.    "You didn't really had to go that far for me...but if you insist, then call me Aliester. Aliester the knight. I shall now go find your daughter and I won't rest until I do so. Farewell, good Tavernsman."     The young knight made his way towards the Tavern's door and, showed a little smile before leaving.    After exiting the Tavern, he traveled far and reached the end of the city.

Alone again with only his thoughts as company, he continues on his journey to find the one he seeks.  As the night was approaching, he pointed a finger in the air, this way, allowing him to know where he should head next.  The young knight decided to head to the south, in order to reach the Southern Sholewoods.

It started to rain, yet, Aliester did not slow down, nor did he rest.  His mind only thinks of finding the Tavernsman's daughter, at any cost. His gaze could pierce anyone looking at it and danger may even lie around every corner, but nothing would stop him...nothing will stand on his way, as we see he began his trek towards the forest.

Edited by Aliester Magna

Just before he manages to leave the portside town however, the knight is approached by a young, elven dame. Her hair and eye color both seem to be gold and though she seems to be an adult, he can tell that, for an elf, this girl is likely still in her teens. "Uhm.. h-hello, ser k-knight. M-may I take a moment of your time? Its about Priscilla... the girl you're trying to find and... *she sighs heavily* my best friend."