--Rob

2020 Valucre Invitational

11 minutes ago, squid peanut said:

but I'm not sure if a cash prize is a good idea.

If you don't mind, could you further expand as to why you think a cash prize is not a good idea? It would be very beneficial!

12 minutes ago, squid peanut said:

why not have the prizes be like artifacts or something?

I can be corrected, and I'm speaking for @--Rob here using minimal knowledge. The reason for this is because this is more of a "OOC event" than an "IC event", where "IC events" are often specific to the areas that it is being held and provide items found in said area as an incentive to play in that area. This "OOC event" is more attuned to everyone's like to write and the fun of being challenged, with the prize being a few schmeckles.

Just now, Aleksei said:

If you don't mind, could you further expand as to why you think a cash prize is not a good idea? It would be very beneficial!

I can be corrected, and I'm speaking for @--Rob here using minimal knowledge. The reason for this is because this is more of a "OOC event" than an "IC event", where "IC events" are often specific to the areas that it is being held and provide items found in said area as an incentive to play in that area. This "OOC event" is more attuned to everyone's like to write and the fun of being challenged, with the prize being a few schmeckles.

Since RP is so open ended, judging how well people did could be tricky, involving real cash prizes could create bigger problems than normal if there's a close tie between people who are very serious about winning.  It also doesn't really seem to fit the vibe of the site.

what I was thinking of is have it be that winning could net you a more universally usable artifact or let the winner have a say in creating an artifact that can be regarded as an artifact and not just a personal item.  that or like a custom legendary airship, since those things take so long to get regularly

49 minutes ago, squid peanut said:

Since RP is so open ended, judging how well people did could be tricky, involving real cash prizes could create bigger problems than normal if there's a close tie between people who are very serious about winning.  It also doesn't really seem to fit the vibe of the site.

To get to the heart of things: problems are unavoidable. Competition can and will bring out the best and worst in people. The best thing that can be done is mitigate the possible upcoming issues. We can't make everyone happy, we can't appeal to everyone's tastes, and we certainly can't be expected to.

In this particular case, this would not be the first time Valucre has hosted an event where the prize was cash or where our fellow writers have participated in writing outside the "IC" scope of things. It has been a bit since an event has been held, but they are not unnatural to the forum!

49 minutes ago, squid peanut said:

what I was thinking of is have it be that winning could net you a more universally usable artifact or let the winner have a say in creating an artifact that can be regarded as an artifact and not just a personal item.  that or like a custom legendary airship, since those things take so long to get regularly

This would be an excellent suggestion for an event that is more "IC" driven! Being as this event is not, the thought doesn't hold up in this particular case.

Also, for anyone reading my responses, allow me to clarify a bit more:

If you take up the challenges in this event, know you can use your already created characters! When I speak about "IC" vs. "OOC" event, I speak on how "IC events" are often specific to the areas that it is being held and provide items found in said area as an incentive to play in that area. This specific event is not being held in any specific area, will not be affecting the lore of any particular place. This is simply a writing challenge for anyone looking to test their writing ability and have a great time doing so.

Edited by Aleksei

I was a member of a forum plagued by elitism and pettiness.  In this, I don't believe I am unique.

What measures will be taken to counteract elitism engendered by this contest?  I do not wish to participate in this contest, but I would like to preclude the divisiveness inherent in grading a roleplayer's writing since I've seen roleplayers go to war with each other and hold grudges against each other for less.  While there isn't as much glory winning a contest in which entrants and entries are anonymous and posted anonymously, there is far less potential, by my reckoning, for participants to lose face.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade; I am simply a tad hesitant about this sort of affair.

Edited by The Alexandrian

This looks like fun!  I want to play. :smile:

I have a couple of questions.  First I was going to ask if we can use our already created characters.  I believe Aleksei answered that one for me.  Second, I was wondering if the setting would be Val settings, or generic made up places.  (Pssst I’d rather they be Val) And third is this judged on things like good description, punctuation, good story flow, staying true to your character, creativity, or... what? I’m curious.  

I am interested but I'm a bit worried about time commitment... Like how long are we going to have between challenges? Is something we will be expected to do in a day, a week or even a month? (Might have been answered but I just missed it)

Sounds like a great opportunity to improve writing even if I don't win! 😄

I am a little concerned about time commitment too.  It starts at the end of August and that's after the start of the next semester of college.  If it's a copulation of short stories that is book length to be finished in a short period of time, I might not be able to join.  But I'd be sad about it.  😢