Rin

Icicles of Hibiscus Darkness

"Must you prattle on? It's incessant."

Iblis barely registered Morwen as she walked into the room and was instantly killed by the forces at work. In the back of his mind, he questioned who the elf was, why she was there; but at the moment it didn't matter. The construct in front of him was his sole focus; energy being woven into flesh as he prepared the demons new vessel. No matter how much the being might chatter, it would hold up its end of the bargain. If it didn't, it would be destroyed.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Claudette awakening from her stupor. For a moment he diverted his attention away from the construct to send a psychic wave of comfort to the mother of his child. He would protect them both.

There was no other option.

Of course. You mortals never learn that we must teach you over and over again. But now that I have this new body, I guess I'll leave. Leave them to die.

Abalone said as she stood from the bed, their business concluded. A smile upon her face as she walked past Iblis. The demoness looked over her shoulder at Claudette. 

I wasn't kidding though. The baby is killing her in that form of hers. But seeing you don't want my help, you will feel the pain of loss.

With that, Abalone was gone. For now until he summoned her. Claudette rubbed her head, unsure of the last few hours. She couldn't remember a thing after eating the seed star that was in her box. She looked to Iblis, one of fear and confusion as the ice princess said nothing. She looked down at the floor. 

"I don't think we have seen the last of her. She is a demon after all. They always want more." Claudette said softly. "And I fear, the danger isn't over yet."

Iblis said nothing as the demon offered its parting words before finally leaving him alone with Claudette once more. He cared little about what the entity had to say; didn't care whether it was right or wrong. It made no difference. Even if Claudette was in danger from the child she carried within her, he would do whatever was necessary to protect both of them. The demon spoke as though he were some mere mortal; helpless to affect his fate. 

It couldn't have been further from the truth.

The djinn moved to encircle Claudette in his arms, "If it returns, it will find me in a far less charitable mood. And no matter what trouble arises, I will see to it that everything turns out for the best. There is no future where it isn't so."

Claudette sat against Iblis as she was silent. It had been a weird and stressful turn of events for both parties. The ice princess looked down at the floor as the baby would come in a few days even. 

Iblis, I'm sorry. Claudette said softly, knowing most of this was her fault. I didn't mean for this to happen. I just wanted to be something better,  strong like my family.

The ice princess shook her head. The danger was far from over, but for now she was safe. They were safe. Her thoughts did turn to the demoness, she was free to roam the Rising West, taking lives as she pleased. That was her job. Her mission since she left Talia. 

She had done a terrible job. Claudette closed her eyes as she tried not to think how horrible things had gotten. The ice princess clung to Iblis. 

Please forgive me. She whispered.