Die Shize

Do you need a mercenary company?

Posted (edited)

armor-army-art-band-wallpaper-preview.jp

Do you need a mercenary company?

I'm not talking about a lone swordsman—though, to my own detriment, I have those in spades—but a full-fledged organization of mercenaries who offer their services for coin or otherwise.

These are not your romantic pay-me-for-great-justice knights in shining armor who conveniently employ a group of pages to keep their armor shining despite their mercenary status. These are hardened folk who, at least on the surface, are primarily motivated by coin. Pay them enough money and they will fight for you. Pay them even more money and they will kill for you (hey, just look up Niccolo Machiavelli for why you should not rely on mercenaries since they are more willing to "damage" the enemy at lowest risk to themselves, if they turn up at all).

Granted, even beyond some idealized notion of fighting for coin but really for peace, my mercenaries do have more going for them than simply getting paid. They may have their own agenda, but if the price is right then they will work their agenda within yours or put it on hold for the sake of a bounty. After all, everybody needs to earn a living, right? What better way to get paid than to let one's sword earn the currency?

On that note, you might recognize the term "sellsword", but I also have 'sellsails' in my midst. So, if you need a mercenary company that takes to land or one that takes to water, I have you covered on both fronts.

Lost Scions

Led by Captain Veron Blacktear, the Cat's Eye, these guys are far from scrupulous. In fact, unless you're a total jerk and/or don't really care about collateral damage or what happens to the folk on the way between Point A and Point B, you're probably better off forgetting that you ever heard about the Bloody Mongrels. Operating primarily in Lagrimosa, these guys are a savage bunch. They are motivated by presently unknown reasons beyond gold and cash (currently they have seen action for the Skarr Clan of Verm) but the latter should not be overlooked; much of their membership prizes greed above all else and they will maim and murder to obtain it.

Despite their forté for death and suffering, once the Lost Scions are given a contract they will fulfill that contract from beginning to end. They will not break the bind. Look at other sellswords around the world and how quick they are to change sides from this army to that one when a better proposition comes along. They will backstab and betray by the changing wind. Not the Lost Scions. A merciless and mutilating band of brigands, but they will at least honor their contract.

...They might fulfill their job and then be hired by someone else for a new job against their previous employers, sure, but that's not exactly betrayal, is it?

Ironborn

If you want swift justice, look to these sellsails. The Ironborn operate out of the Iron Justice, a watercraft that can sail on sea or river. The Ironborn are led by Captain Wallace Ambrose, the Iron Captain. Their preferred trade is that of hunting pirates, and to that end they do so with brutal efficiency. You probably have heard of dread pirates roaming the seas in all four cardinal directions, pillaging and plundering at will. But have you heard of the one ship in their midst, that one with a black and red hull, a hammerhead corvus, a lightning bolt for a ram, a figurehead of Lady Justice, black and blindfolded and howling with sword and scales? This is the ship that the dread pirates dread.

The Iron Justice is currently operating in Ursa Madeum. They have been terrorizing pirates left and right, sailing into sponsored domains with corpses swaying and their living prisoners shackled in irons to receive their justice. The Ironborn will not go out of their way to make a bystander's life difficult, but best not to get in their way. These are a cold and hard folk, their lives spent hunting down groups and individuals who the average person would not dare cross paths with. Their captain is relentless and unwavering in his crusade to eliminate pirates and he has no imagination that is constrained in any way to make them suffer.

The Ironborn are also known to employ themselves as privateers, more or less the legal version of pirates with letters of marque to harry rival states and factions, and as mercenaries to fight with fleets or carry out solo operations beyond hunting pirates. The latter is their game but they have many enemies as long as the hand pays enough to take those enemies out.

So, do you need a mercenary company? Land or water? Is morality a code that holds you back? Then you might want to reconsider this thread...otherwise, sign up here...and may your soul be saved...

Edited by Die Shize

1 hour ago, supernal said:

How do the Scion fare at gathering intel? Or are they mostly a rough and tumble sort?

The Lost Scions often rely on their own reputation, bloody though it is, to appeal to those individuals and groups who are in need of a fighting force. Scruples aside, the Lost Scions have never broken a contract that they could not fulfill, so even those entities with arguably 'holier' morals might have employed them simply on account of their integrity to the contract, and from there word travels to other sources.

On the other hand, if jobs do not reach them first, the Lost Scions have a limited network of spies and scouts so that they keep up to date on the affairs of Lagrimosa, namely the political climate, as much as the geography. They do have in their ranks the ability of sensory scrying and make use of specialized gyrfalcons who can report back with their eyes as much as the documents in their talons.

As a mercenary company, the Lost Scions are not necessarily defined by their intelligence gathering, yet they are not your average rough and tumble mercenary company. Their leader, Veron Blacktear, has a personal purpose for current affairs especially in Lagrimosa, so he does employ certain means to keep up to date for the realm at large and the job at hand.

I’m asking less about their latent capabilities to have information come to them and more if they can be hired for that kind of work, or if you’re interested in using them primarily as a fighting force? It sounds like more the latter but I just want to confirm

2 minutes ago, supernal said:

I’m asking less about their latent capabilities to have information come to them and more if they can be hired for that kind of work, or if you’re interested in using them primarily as a fighting force? It sounds like more the latter but I just want to confirm

Primarily as a fighting force. They can intel-gather but it would depend on the job as intelligence-gathering is not their overt specialty. 

But like I said it is subjective to the circumstances. Depending on the job, the Lost Scions could handle it. For one thing, one of the lieutenants is specifically skilled in this field!

Perhaps another way to answer this is: “I have a roleplay where I want to hire mercenaries to gather intel. Would the Lost Scions be a good fit?” | “Yes, depending on the specifics of the job, and in the interest of accommodating the roleplay.”

Posted (edited)

Both the Lost Scions and the Ironborn are indeed open for business!

Put me to the test and see if my mercenaries can’t help you! 

Edited by Die Shize