Rembrandt

The Hands of Abberoth OOC thread

I've got a few more details, just for background mostly:

• For my character, I'm thinking he gained this sacrificial magic with the cult's help itself... maybe only a truly() sorrowful soul with nothing to lose was capable of using these powers, and thus most of the cult, who were enthusiastic about their worship of Abberoth were incapable of wielding it, ironically.
  • As for the character's background, I'm thinking he was definitely not wealthy, but wasn't a street urchin, he was probably abused by his family members as often as his peers, and basically just hates the world because it's given him such a crappy hand.
  • I'm going to give him a sufficiently edgy name, like Skar Arkalis. Not his real name of course... If it comes up, he's going to have a bully-able name (you might know what I mean, schoolkids are awful to one another).
  • He's also going to be pretty unattractive (not that it really matters, cause he's probably going to be under 18, but maybe 19 tops if anyone would rather he be an adult)

So, this character is a miserable wreck, emotionally unstable too. He's with the cult because he has nowhere else to go, but he doesn't have any close relationships there.
I'm torn on whether or not he actually believes in Abberoth, I mean, he definitely agrees with the whole idea of KILLING EVERYTHING , but does the cult have any proof that he exists, or is it just fanaticism? I didn't plan on it, but my character is unstable enough to be a fanatic, after a year or two of corruption.

He's probably also got a side quest going of his own to gather horrible artifacts. I mean, like, stuff that will just as likely send him to Hell as it will give him an iota of power. He doesn't value his life, which makes him perfect for a cultist. He'd defend himself in combat, of course, but who makes a better possible Warlock/Diabolist than someone who doesn't care about suffering the consequences?

If your okay with it, my character could definitely steal from the cult in the future, though if that's not something you are okay with, I totally understand and won't do it.

I'd also be fine making a character sheet for him, it's not work at all, but rather fun to me, of course you don't have to use it, if you don't want to.
If you'd rather I go sheet-less, I can do that too, but I find it helpful to have a place to store facts (also i'm a little bit jealous of all these people with multiple characters, and kind of want to start building a retinue, though it's not urgent)

Feel free to give your opinions/criticism (if any) on these additional ideas, we haven't started yet so it's not set in stone 🙂 !

2 minutes ago, Froggychum said:

I've got a few more details, just for background mostly:

• For my character, I'm thinking he gained this sacrificial magic with the cult's help itself... maybe only a truly() sorrowful soul with nothing to lose was capable of using these powers, and thus most of the cult, who were enthusiastic about their worship of Abberoth were incapable of wielding it, ironically.
  • As for the character's background, I'm thinking he was definitely not wealthy, but wasn't a street urchin, he was probably abused by his family members as often as his peers, and basically just hates the world because it's given him such a crappy hand.
  • I'm going to give him a sufficiently edgy name, like Skar Arkalis. Not his real name of course... If it comes up, he's going to have a bully-able name (you might know what I mean, schoolkids are awful to one another).
  • He's also going to be pretty unattractive (not that it really matters, cause he's probably going to be under 18, but maybe 19 tops if anyone would rather he be an adult)

So, this character is a miserable wreck, emotionally unstable too. He's with the cult because he has nowhere else to go, but he doesn't have any close relationships there.
I'm torn on whether or not he actually believes in Abberoth, I mean, he definitely agrees with the whole idea of KILLING EVERYTHING , but does the cult have any proof that he exists, or is it just fanaticism? I didn't plan on it, but my character is unstable enough to be a fanatic, after a year or two of corruption.

He's probably also got a side quest going of his own to gather horrible artifacts. I mean, like, stuff that will just as likely send him to Hell as it will give him an iota of power. He doesn't value his life, which makes him perfect for a cultist. He'd defend himself in combat, of course, but who makes a better possible Warlock/Diabolist than someone who doesn't care about suffering the consequences?

If your okay with it, my character could definitely steal from the cult in the future, though if that's not something you are okay with, I totally understand and won't do it.

I'd also be fine making a character sheet for him, it's not work at all, but rather fun to me, of course you don't have to use it, if you don't want to.
If you'd rather I go sheet-less, I can do that too, but I find it helpful to have a place to store facts (also i'm a little bit jealous of all these people with multiple characters, and kind of want to start building a retinue, though it's not urgent)

Feel free to give your opinions/criticism (if any) on these additional ideas, we haven't started yet so it's not set in stone 🙂 !

Thanks for all the info! Here's my thoughts in no particular order:

I personally would prefer if he were over 18 because I'd feel a little weird having a member that might be like 14-15-16 you know?

The background works, considering they would probably feel his negative energy and be drawn to it. 

The cult doesn't have any scientific evidence but I mean, when they sacrifice stuff it bursts into a puff of dark magic with a big extravagant process so I m e a n, if he showed any signs of disbelief Chrysma (my OC) would probably train him personally.

Honestly that works, considering one of the BIG things of the cult is gathering power, be it through artifacts, spells, etc. 

The cult isn't JUST about killing people, it's about killing people that have POWER, so they probably wouldn't set a village on fire for the sake of pyromania, but maybe for the sake of activating a hidden power or drawing out the town sorcerer.

I would prefer that you didn't steal from the cult, as that would cause a lot of inward tension, and the main tension we want here is between the White Hand and The Hands of Abberoth as we have it set now. As we talk, this might change though. So think of a "probably not" rather than a definite no. 

And I didn't mean you SHOULDN'T make one, I just meant it wasn't MANDATORY. Go ahead and make a character sheet if you want, I'd love for you to enjoy this as much as possible.

One big rule I forgot to mention about this RP: 
We're here to have fun! The only time we're doing it wrong is if we're going off canon, and/or one or more of us isn't having fun.

Thanks for the quick response! I think it would actually be super interesting to have Skar being personally trained by the head honcho of the cult! Having someone pay attention to him, regardless of the intent, would definitely be enough to have him stick around. He's super self-loathing though, so I don't expect him to open up and make a connection with his mentor, mostly because he isn't able.

In fact, I'm starting to think Skar has a very fatalistic approach to things, his mind is mostly filled right now with thoughts of what layer of Hell he will be going to, soon. That's probably what's stopping him from suiciding (apart from it being a heavy topic for forumposting), is that he doesn't see even that as an end to his pain.

Skar won't be stealing from the cult while the 'probably not' stands. Also, I'll make him 19. I'm going to work on a character sheet, soon  🙂

Just now, Froggychum said:

Thanks for the quick response! I think it would actually be super interesting to have Skar being personally trained by the head honcho of the cult! Having someone pay attention to him, regardless of the intent, would definitely be enough to have him stick around. He's super self-loathing though, so I don't expect him to open up and make a connection with his mentor, mostly because he isn't able.

In fact, I'm starting to think Skar has a very fatalistic approach to things, his mind is mostly filled right now with thoughts of what layer of Hell he will be going to, soon. That's probably what's stopping him from suiciding (apart from it being a heavy topic for forumposting), is that he doesn't see even that as an end to his pain.

Skar won't be stealing from the cult while the 'probably not' stands. Also, I'll make him 19. I'm going to work on a character sheet, soon  🙂

I see, so he's a big grumpy-dump. 

I could definitely work in Skar having Chrysma keep a close eye on him. 

Thanks for making him 19, and I'm excited to see what you come up with!

I live and breathe the lovee and POWER of Gaia. 

Yshmael has a vast capabilities, especially coming into Apprenticeship in the Clergy. Purifying consumables, healing, geomancy, a danger sense for opposing/unnatural/evil presences, and also bringing the wrath of the Triad-Aspects of Gaia.

I'm happy to push an agenda with the White Hand, as well as slay where necessary. What do you plan to do to be thwarted/successful at doing or obtaining?

On 7/8/2020 at 12:16 PM, L E V I A T H A N said:

I live and breathe the lovee and POWER of Gaia. 

Yshmael has a vast capabilities, especially coming into Apprenticeship in the Clergy. Purifying consumables, healing, geomancy, a danger sense for opposing/unnatural/evil presences, and also bringing the wrath of the Triad-Aspects of Gaia.

I'm happy to push an agenda with the White Hand, as well as slay where necessary. What do you plan to do to be thwarted/successful at doing or obtaining?

Apologies for the delay.

Yshmael would definitely catch Chrysma radiating evil from a mile away lmao

And before the cult can do anything, Chrysma has to make their way into the place. Having to pass through the White Hand is a matter of its own! After that I was thinking there might be some ruins that both parties might want to investigate, while the White Hand sends only a small party, the entire cult comes, as a group, to investigate. While yes, it might be a small cult, its members are quite effective.

I'm definitely all up for investigating a ruins! If there's some conflict when we get there, that sounds cool too!

Also, Leviathan has a good question. Since if it were just them versus a whole cult, they would be outnumbered, needless to say...

So, presumably they will have back up in the form of NPCs? Maybe even some PCs, if more players end up joining by then!

Also, just to be clear, we're all waiting on Chrysma starting the story off by invading the White Hand, yeah? Not a problem for me, just making sure I know when to post.

6 minutes ago, Froggychum said:

I'm definitely all up for investigating a ruins! If there's some conflict when we get there, that sounds cool too!

Also, Leviathan has a good question. Since if it were just them versus a whole cult, they would be outnumbered, needless to say...

So, presumably they will have back up in the form of NPCs? Maybe even some PCs, if more players end up joining by then!

Also, just to be clear, we're all waiting on Chrysma starting the story off by invading the White Hand, yeah? Not a problem for me, just making sure I know when to post.

I’m not scared but it would make for more connections across the board lmao 

Definitely! It might also not make a lot of sense for the White Hand to send out just one paladin on a mission like this, though it might, I'm not familiar with their group at all.

13 minutes ago, L E V I A T H A N said:

I’m not scared but it would make for more connections across the board lmao 

Additionally your character knows some people that know some people in the orthodoxy and can probably rationalize having some non-local NPC priests also come with, to whatever extent it supports whatever narrative arc is in mind (aka I’m not saying bring an army but also agree going alone wouldn’t make sense) 

13 hours ago, Froggychum said:

Also, just to be clear, we're all waiting on Chrysma starting the story off by invading the White Hand, yeah?

Yes, and with the new developments I'm probably going to re-do the introduction since I pre-maturely wrote it (twice).

12 hours ago, jaistlyn said:

Yes, the paladins (the unnamed ones) can be used as NPCs. Read this for more info!

Thank you for the info!

@Froggychum @L E V I A T H A N Would you all want to be part of the group that brings in Chrysma? Or would you rather already be inside?