notmuch_23

Teaching the Pew Pew [Lunarian Protectorate]

A batch of recruits is making their way through the Lunarian Protectorate. Today is the first day of firearm training. Aveline Debbie Singlance, Captain (and as of now the entirety of) the Special Operations Squad will be instructing them.

As the cadets stand at attention at the range, Aveline steps over in her uniform and insignia, and her hair in a low bun, and faces the cadets.

"Paraaaade, REST!" Aveline orders, meaning for the cadets to stand with their feet shoulder-width apart, and hands together behind their backs right at the lumbar curve. The cadets, at least the smart ones, do so promptly.

"In case you don't know who I am," Aveline says as she starts pacing the line of cadets, using her most commanding tone, "I'm Captain Aveline Singlance of the Special Operations Squad. I'll be teaching y'all how to use firearms, which should be obvious since we're at the range. Before I do, I gotta make sure y'all know how to handle them safely. I'm not psychic, so I don't know how much experience any of ya have. So..."

"Firearm is a fancy word for the things that go 'bam bam.' So, rule zero; they're lethal fucking weapons. Firearms are purpose made to kill and destroy. That's why using them safely and judiciously is so damn important."

Aveline is expecting Sheriff Lichford to observe her training session.

@danzilla3

Joshua sauntered into the training ground silently; not wanting to interrupt the drill sergeant routine that Aveline had going. To her alone he would offer a tip of his hat as he walked up and down the outer perimeter of the formation. All of the cadets looked like experienced combatants; in any other unit, they would probably be the ones teaching the program. But the Special Operations Squad was where the best came to get better. In the event of another event like the Hydra and or the recent chemical attacks, they would be the tip of the spear. 

One thing that everyone would notice was that Joshua hadn't bothered to conjure up a flesh shell for his skeletal form. This was partially because he liked the intimidation it would have on the cadets, but also because he just hadn't felt like it that morning. Having inspected the cadets, he moved off to sit under the shade of a tree, looking forward to the show.

"Skull Detective" by Yanmo Zhang  Print available at

While Aveline wishes she could be training her own squad, she hasn't been able to see enough of this batch of cadets to find any with promise.

Admittedly, Josh Lichford's skeletal form startles Aveline, bit she does her best to mot show it, then continues on firearm safety.

"Rule one: a firearm is always loaded. I don't care if the mag is out or empty, the safeties are all on and working, or even if the chamber is locked open. Rounds have a way of showing up in the wrong fucking place at the wrong fucking time. Rule two: never point a firearm at or towards something you're not prepared to kill and\or destroy. That includes your own fucking body. Generally, down is a safe direction... but not always. Rule three: know what's behind and around your target before you shoot. Bullets don't always stop when they hit somebody. Bullets from some high-powered hunting, assault, and sniper rifles don't always stop when they hit something! Bullets don't always travel straight through things either. Rule four: keep yer booger hook off the bang switch 'till you're sure you're ready to let the lead fly. Rule five: if you're drunk, high, loopy, or otherwise impaired, if you can help it, DON'T FUCKING SHOOT! There's really good reasons why we don't allow y'all to drink or take recreational drugs on the job."

Aveline already has a Beretta M9 at each shooting stall, mainly because she doesn't want cadets moving firearms they don't have any experience with.

"So what that means practically is," Aveline says as she takes out an orange-painted piece of wood that looks like a semi-auto pistol, "when yer not shoot'n, keep yer shoot'n finger up here." Aveline then puts her index finger above the trigger on the "frame." "Don't go just wavin' a pistol 'round like it's no big thang," Aveline says as she does just that, "point it at others or yourself and say 'don't worry, it's not loaded,'" as she points it at different cadets, then her own temple. "I've got a mason jar on the counter of the Mil Dot that's now full of rounds from arms people brought in, and swore up and down that there was NO FUCKING WAY it could be loaded. Finger off trigger; safe direction: 'till ya need to shoot."

"All right, break formation," Aveline says, "Get a pair of shooting glasses right there and a pair of over-ear hearing protection, put them on, then gather over here, it's time to get down to business."

Aveline guides the cadets over to an area in front of another stall while Aveline takes the Beretta M9 at the booth towards where she's having them face, and holds it up, with the muzzle pointing downrange, of course.

"Now pay attention or else I'll put y'all back in formation. This is the Beretta M9. The lever thingy up here on the slide towards the rear sight aperture is the safety. In this position, lever up, the safety is ON." Aveline starts, speaking louder to overcome the hearing protection, "right before you fire, move the lever down, and after, up. This button behind the trigger is the magazine release., The lever below the slide above the trigger is the slide lock." Aveline then steps over to the booth to pick up a magazine with some specially-prepared rounds, and steps back, dragging the metal dud can under the booth with one of her feet.

"To fire, slide the magazine into the handle; it only fits one way, shove it up until you feel the retention paul engage," Aveline says as she demonstrates. "Make sure the slide lock is DOWN, take the slide, pull it back all the way, then just let go. DO NOT follow the slide forward with your hand; if you do, the round may not make it up the ramp and into the chamber. Now the pistol is loaded. Dominant hand on the grip, that arm straight, take your off hand, place it on the lower fingers of your dominant hand, and keep that arm bent. There are two parts of the sight, the rear aperture and the front post. Align the top of the aperture and post, center the post in the aperture, put the dot on the post on your target, and fire." Aveline NOW takes off the safety by pushing the lever down, and fires the first round.

Aveline pulls the trigger again, and nothing happens. "When this happens, keep the muzzle pointed downrange for at least half a minute. DO NOT move it du-"

*BAM*

"-ring this time, because that could happen. That's called a hangfire, and if you move tour aim, like, say, towards your face lo look down the muzzle, that bullet will be the last thing you ever see."

Aveline pulls the trigger again, and waits for about fifteen seconds, pointing the muzzle downrange.

"Now, if it doesn't fire after thirty seconds, bring the ejector side of your pistol, rifle, shotgun, or whatever, to the nearest dud can, pointing it in a safe direction as you do."

Aveline then brings the Beretta sideways down to the metal dud can, keeping the muzzle pointed downrange, and once the frame is just above...

"Once it's there, cycle the action, and make sure the dud round falls in the can. Now the weapon is ready to fire again."

Edited by notmuch_23

Now that the dud is in the can, Aveline points and fires again

*bouf*

It's clearly not as powerful of a shot as it should be.

"That is a squib; it's what happens when the propellant doesn't burn completely for whatever reason. This can actually be more dangerous than a hangfire. The bullet is stuck in the barrel, which can turn this pistol into a very fancy bomb if you try to fire it again. If a squib happens, clear the weapon just like when you're done firing. Remove the magazine with the button behind the trigger on the grip. Pull back the slide, look into the chamber to make sure there is not a round in there, let the slide return, push the safety lever up, which will also decock the hammer, and set it down onto the table. Any questions?" Aveline says as she scans the cadets, honestly hopeng one of the cadets will ask at least a decent question.

"Well, since nobody has any questions," Aveline says after a couple minutes of silence, during which she handed the pistol with a bullet stuck in the barrel to an academy helper, "there is a target, a Beretta M9, and three full mags. When you get to a booth here soon, clip the target to the backer, and crank it out to the wooden stakes at five meters. Load the pistol, but do not even think about firing until I say 'conmence shooting.' If i shout 'cease fire,' that means stop shooting NOW! Not 'one more shot' or 'after I finish this mag.' When you empty your mags, clear your weapon, set it down, pointing downrange, and step back. I'll be by shortly with more rounds and show you how to reload your mags. If any of you do something unsafe, I will not hesitate to pull you from the range. Now get to a booth and get your target ready."

Again, assuming the cadets can follow directions, they should have their targets out to five meters, and their Berettas loaded.

"Anybody not have their pistol loaded and ready to fire?"

None of the cadets made any indication that they didn't.

"Commence shooting," Aveline says, expecting to shortly hear a bunch of nine by nineteen millimeter Parabellum rounds firing.

With the staccato of pistols, Aveline walks up and down the range line, watching the cadets, correcting stances, helping them aim, and one cadet starts complaining.

"These sights must be off, captain, I can't hit shit!"

"All right, set it down, I'll take a look." Aveline them cranks the target back in, puts masking tape on the few holes through it, and cranks it back out before swapping mags, and firing the pistol one-handed, and puts six rounds through pretty much the same hole, them brings it back. The hole is down and to the left.

"Oh, you're right, the rear aperture does need adjusting." Aveline takes out her Leatherman Wave multi-tool, folds out the Phillips-head screwdriver, and turns the windage and elevation screws a bit, cranks the target back out, fires six more rounds, makes another adjustment, and the last three hit dead fucking center before the chamber locks open.

That cadet just stands with his jaw hanging open.

"Should be good now," Aveline says as she removes the empty mag and sets the pistol back on the "table".