supernal

Lion's claw OOC

Session zero for thread involving the Heavy Hand and the Dead

1) aesthetic and balance

Aesthetic

This story is a point somewhere in the arc of a vendetta / vengeance story. It's the beginning of Caden's rebuttal to a master stroke Phoebe laid against him and his family in Last Chance, which saw the various criminal families there pushed out, one way or the other. He's spent years building the resources to take his vengeance and by a combination of preparation and luck, is presented with an opportunity to finally make a move and make it count.

I've discussed a loose outline with the players involve which can basically be boiled down to: 1) an attack (focus on caden and phoebe) 2) an escape 3) a backwards leap in narrative time to explain how the attack was orchestrated (focus on heavy hand group) 3) with potential interpolates by Noko to elaborate on present-time response to the attack.

Balance

Conflict is driven and decided by the narrative. Most decisive exchanges have already been worked out and the riskiest propositions are likely to involve RNG.

2) floor and ceiling

The floor will be higher here than I normally employ because there's a high level of collaboration, meaning we can all agree to add more sizzle to our steak without undermining anyone else's contributions. Also most of the characters involved have enough of a real world history to justify a higher operating level than bog standard.

3) setting, characters, GM

Setting: martial town, whose mood board can be captured by throwing things like ghost in the shell and blade runner into a pot and mixing it together (+ fantasy elements but you know, arthur c. clarke quote and all that).

Characters:

Caden - Lost his criminal kingdom just as he was crowned; family and friends dead or disappeared and presumed dead himself; started a new gang, the heavy hand, focusing on custom narcotics to amass resources quickly.

Phoebe - Team leader for the Dead operation which orchestrated the downfalls of various criminal families in Last Chance; high ranking leader in the Dead's overall organization (Caden does not know she's 2nd in command).

Vito - Caden's first major contact since losing his empire, literal partner in crime in the Heavy Hand, and lord over own criminal enterprise.

Liam - Caden's cousin, also a member of the crime family to which Caden belonged; lied low until contacted by his cousin to join his growing organization.

GM: Communal.

Edited by supernal

@Noko @Dupin @Rabbit

I should have the IC thread up in the next few days and will post it here when I do. Above is the "session zero" for the things discussed with everybody through DM / PM / etc, trimmed down and consolidated into the broad strokes. If you feel I left anything out please call it out and I'll add it in. Otherwise, see you in the game!

I think Noko and I made need a round or two before the others post but then it should break up pretty even

Edited by supernal

While I'm waiting for Noko to post to our exchange @Rabbit and @Dupin could both make a post (or not) to talk about what they're doing during this time, even down to distractions / crowd control stuff or preparing the escape, etc. If you just want to wait for the escape bit that's fine too!

On 9/6/2020 at 5:51 PM, supernal said:

While I'm waiting for Noko to post to our exchange @Rabbit and @Dupin could both make a post (or not) to talk about what they're doing during this time, even down to distractions / crowd control stuff or preparing the escape, etc. If you just want to wait for the escape bit that's fine too!

Sorry for the delay! All sounds good to me. I'll post something tomorrow. (Unless you'd prefer I hold off for a bit longer at this point.)

11 hours ago, supernal said:

Just to confirm because I posed my thing as an OR statement, does that mean you're planning on posting?

Sorry, I wrote that whilst dead tired 😅 I mean't I was going to wait for the escape and then have Vito come in. 

4 hours ago, Rabbit said:

I'll be getting my post out later this evening.

If you don’t mind waiting one round of posts from me and Noko it’ll be a natural segue for the escape and then Vito can do his thing?

5 minutes ago, supernal said:

If you don’t mind waiting one round of posts from me and Noko it’ll be a natural segue for the escape and then Vito can do his thing?

Can do 👍