danzilla3

Out On The Town

"Where do you want to go first?"

After the conclusion of their business at the bank, Issac and Linda had decided to grab lunch at a local cafe; one with a spectacular view of the underground river that flowed through the city. Issac could retract the bottom portion of his mask to preform tasks such as eating and drinking while in public. People might give a man in a strange mask a few funny looks, but he knew all to well that his true appearance would be met with worse. Before he had begun his relationship with Linda he rarely ate out, but she gave him the confidence to do so. As long as she could look at him with love in her eyes, he didn't care about what anyone else thought.

"The Library sounds amazing; thousands of books and scrolls just waiting to be decoded! What secrets they could tell! Oh! And the Painted Tombs! I've heard the murals there are somber, yet beautiful! And of course we have to go to The Dragon's Hoard!"

Realizing he had been dominating the conversation, he sheepishly rubbed the back of his head, "Sorry. I'm just excited."

@Zashiii

On 9/8/2020 at 6:13 PM, danzilla3 said:

"The Library sounds amazing; thousands of books and scrolls just waiting to be decoded! What secrets they could tell! Oh! And the Painted Tombs! I've heard the murals there are somber, yet beautiful! And of course we have to go to The Dragon's Hoard!"

Linda's eyes lit up at the mention of all those places.There was this childish and innocent look in her face filled with wonder and anticipation. "Yes, please!"

It had been a long time since she had quite a simple and safe venture where nothing life-threatening ever happens. That and her lust for knowledge and information was one of her greatest weakness.

"Ehhh..." Linda poked at Issac's cheek. "Since when did you know the way around a delicate woman's heart?"

Issac laughed, "You taught me everything I know!"

The masked scientist took his lovers hand and simply held it for a moment; feeling the warmth of her touch even through the gloves he wore. He couldn't remember the last time he had been this happy. For the first time in their relationship, the looming sorrow of Linda's departure was nowhere to be found. Part of him still struggled to believe it; that the woman he loved more than anything was finally here to stay with him. 

Letting go of Linda's hand, he reached into his pocket and pulled out the brochure he had read earlier. Aside from the previously mentioned attractions, there was one other place that Issac had thought to go.

"Apparently a shooting range just opened up here too! Want to give it a go?"

"Aha!" Linda exclaimed as she clung to Issac's arm. "I'm the great corruptor."

On 9/13/2020 at 6:39 PM, danzilla3 said:

Letting go of Linda's hand, he reached into his pocket and pulled out the brochure he had read earlier. Aside from the previously mentioned attractions, there was one other place that Issac had thought to go.

"Apparently a shooting range just opened up here too! Want to give it a go?"

She frowned as she looked at the brochure. "Eh..I thought we were going to the library first?" Then her face lit up. "But a shooting range is nice too." Her hand formed what seemed like finger guns which she aimed at the space before them. "Bang! Bang!" This made her chuckle a bit. "Have I ever told you that one time me and my girls hunted a kirin with pistols?"

"A Kirin?" Issac asked, astonished, "Those things are supposed to be powerful creatures! I can't believe you managed to bring one down with only handguns!"

Linda ans Issac knew the defining parts of each others pasts, owing to a psychic bond they had formed during their first night together. He had witnessed her become the woman known as the Mistress; and she had seen him invent and then dedicate his life to protecting the substance known as Aether. Despite this, there was still a great deal the two did not know about each other. Over the last few years they had learned bits and pieces during her visits, but now they had the opportunity to really get to know each other.

The engineer pulled out a few coins, and left them on the table, "You have to tell me all about it on the way to the range! Let's go!"

Issac took Linda's hand and guided her to the main street, where he flagged down a carriage. When it pulled to a stop, he opened the door for her with a flourish and a bow.

"Your carriage awaits, madame!"

On 9/16/2020 at 5:31 PM, danzilla3 said:

"A Kirin?" Issac asked, astonished, "Those things are supposed to be powerful creatures! I can't believe you managed to bring one down with only handguns!"

'Well, I was not alone though so my boast is kind of moot. Still, it was a good run in the end."

When Issac grabbed her hand, Linda could not help but hold tightly. Sometimes, she felt that if she let go, this chance of a normal life will never come back. She let Issac lead her down the streets and into tha carriage.

On 9/16/2020 at 5:31 PM, danzilla3 said:

"Your carriage awaits, madame!"

"How corteous," Linda chuckled. "Would you care to join me, kind sir?"

With that she entered the carriage and waited for Issac to join her. Once inside, she resumed to her chatty nature.

"Well, stuff happened when I was affiliated with Miss Blonde and that Wilder guy...." her voice seemed to drone off as she regaled her exploits with the two crime bosses.

Issac attentively listened to Linda as she regaled him with tales of her and her gangs adventures with the legendary John Wilder. He had long known of his girlfriends past dalliance with the gangster turned governor of New Everrun; and though he could honestly say he wasn't jealous, he did feel a little intimidated. Linda had always assured him that her relationship with Wilder had never been anything serious; more a friends with benefits type of thing, but he still worried. Compared to a man who founded his own city, could he really measure up? 

As she talked, the masked man put his arm around his lovers shoulder and slowly pulled her closer until her head rested on his shoulder. He loved the feeling of her against him, the smell of her hair. Could this really be true? Was it really possible that he could live in peace with the one he loved? Part of him was convinced that he was dreaming, that he would wake up any second and find that it was merely vanity to imagine such a thing. 

Maybe, but if it was, he would stay in that dream for as long as he could.

Twenty minutes later, the carriage stopped outside of what looked like the entrance to an old mine shaft. Above the opening, someone had hung a target with a few bullet holes through the center. 

"Looks like we're in the right place!"

Linda jumped off the carriage with a wide beaming smile. 

"Hey, Issac. Is this the right place?" she spoke as she narrowed her eyes. "Looks creepy and suspicious. When you told me we'd be going out to play, I never expected you to bring me to an old abandoned mine shaft."

Then she chuckled. "Very suspicious."

"Oh.. you never told me where you learned to shoot."

Edited by Zashiii

Issac laughed, "Suspicious? Why, whatever do you mean by that?"

Wrapping his arms around Linda's waist, he leaned in close to whisper in her ear, "That maybe I've only got one thing on my mind? Perhaps I'm just looking for a nice spot to pull you into, where nobody will hear you screaming my name?"

He remained that way for a few seconds longer before he laughed again, released his lover, and began to make his way down the mineshaft. 

"A guy named Joshua Lichford taught me everything I know about shooting. I'm a pretty good quickdraw, but that guy was incredible. He could put six bullets in between six sets of eyes in the space of a blink.

After a little more walking, the lovers came to a room carved into the wall of the cave where an attendant stood behind a counter that was similarly sculpted from stone. Beyond that there was an antechamber that branched off into three different tunnels. 

"Welcome to the Straight Shooter!" chirped the young woman behind the counter, "Will you be needing weapons, or have you brought your own?"

Issac pulled back his duster to reveal his revolver before turning to Linda, "What about you? You need a rental?"

Linda frowned. "Now that you mentioned it. I haven't held a gun ever since I came back from Dougton."

She looked at the young woman behind the counter. "Give me something serviceable."

As she waited for the rental gun to arrive, she turned to Issac. "Hmm...my first teacher was this senile old man. Spent the whole week hitting the target or else I won't get any food. I actually passed out from hunger..."

"That's not a great teaching method." Issac noted, "But you won't have to worry about that! I'd buy you dinner even if you missed every shot!"

Just then the attendant returned and placed three handguns on the table. The first was a Glock 17, a nine millimeter with a fifteen round magazine; simple and reliable, though perhaps somewhat lacking in stopping power. Second was an M1911A1, only eight rounds, but dependable. Finally, there was a .357 revolver; great stopping power and no need to worry about a jam.

Once Linda had picked out her firearm, the attendant would lead them down the second of the three tunnels. About fifty feet down the shaft was a table made of stone; divided by ten stalls. The attendant led the couple to the leftmost stall, and pointed to a button on the wall.

"Press this when you're ready to shoot! Please remember that only one of you can be shooting at a time."

The attendant bowed, and left; and Issac turned to his lover.

"I'll go first! Mind pushing the button?"

Linda's eyes sparkled as she looked at her choices. It had been a while since she held commercial firearms. Most of her equipment were custom-made so its a nice change of pace to experience something new. Her hand reached out to one of the guns. Of course, she would pick the revolver. Simple yet full of style. She's a sucker for those. Plus it did remind her of her recent firefights. Norkotia and Dougton. Those were the shit. Someday she'll be packing her bags again in search of another battle to fight. Possibly in the far future.

On 10/19/2020 at 6:05 PM, danzilla3 said:

"I'll go first! Mind pushing the button?"

"Oh," Linda blushed. "Pressing buttons..." she spoke as she did press the button.

As soon as the button was pressed, the games began.

It had been quite some time since Issac had been in a situation where he'd needed to draw a weapon; but the instincts still remained. When the first target; a human shape made of rock, popped up, his hand flew to his hip with practiced ease. The target had been up for less than two seconds before the scientist had blown it's head clean off. More targets followed, and he blew them away with similar ease. Once he had fired all six shots, he smoothly ejected the cylinder, and quickly reloaded before he was shooting once again. By the time the buzzer signified the drill was over, twelve targets had risen, and twelve had been hit. 

"Two headshots, and ten center mass," he noted the automated scoreboard, "Maybe I'm not as rusty as I thought!"

Holstering his weapon, he turned to Linda and gestured to the firing line, "You're next my love! I'll get the button for you!"

On 11/5/2020 at 6:18 PM, danzilla3 said:

"You're next my love! I'll get the button for you!"

Linda blushed at Issac's words. As she positioned herself before the targets, the gun was already in her hand. Unlike Issac, she was not fast enough to do any of those quick draw shenanigans. If she was still the Blackhead then things would have been different but she had long since relinquished that title along with all the power and benefits. Well, that was in the past now and she had no regrets with he choice. 

As soon as the targets were out, she started shooting. One shot after the other. After the six shots, she too quickly reloaded without missing a beat. Once everythign was done, she could not help but pout at the results.

'That sucks. Couldn't even get one head shot."

Despite her dissatisfaction at not being able to land a headshot; Linda had still managed to hit all the targets center mass. That was how soldiers were trained, and it was a reminder of the road the woman had travelled to get here. Issac himself could scarcely believe some of the things she had told him about her past; only accepting them as truth because he knew she would never lie to him. His own path to this point hadn't been an easy one either. Both of them had been through no shortage of strife to arrive at this point in their lives; and though not all the memories were good ones, he still treasured them. They reminded him to be grateful for what he had now.

"You're just a bit rusty!" he assured her, "Here, let me show you a trick."

Issac came up behind his lover and circled his arms around her as he helped her line up a shot.

"Don't think about hitting the target. Pretend there's something right behind it that you can't hit without going through it."