Roxas_

I'm finally getting around to this!

Hey guys! I joined, lost access to internet, and now all is fine. It's been a hot second since I've been on any sort of RP board so I'm trying to get used to it all again. That said, what's the general take on characters from existing media? I haven't seen anything about it, so I'm not sure what to expect in that department. 

Either way I'm spending the next few days crafting something I'm happy with. I hope to have some fun times here!

Others will be more helpful, but to answer your specific question, Valucre has its own lore and canon, and RP of existing characters from popular media is relegated to the 'Alternative' board, which houses all non-Valucrian RPs under its umbrella. You can find it here: https://www.valucre.com/forum/75-alternative/

28 minutes ago, Roxas_ said:

Hey guys! I joined, lost access to internet, and now all is fine. It's been a hot second since I've been on any sort of RP board so I'm trying to get used to it all again. That said, what's the general take on characters from existing media? I haven't seen anything about it, so I'm not sure what to expect in that department. 

Either way I'm spending the next few days crafting something I'm happy with. I hope to have some fun times here!

Our particular hobby is definitely one that assumes a lot of things are going right for the people who want to be players, so whatever it was that you were dealing with am glad things are good and hope they stay that way. Welcome back!

On using characters from existing media, we posted a topic concerning copyright in the announcement board: https://www.valucre.com/topic/43142-copyright-and-you/

If you're in violation of copyright law and we get contacted about it, we'll respond in whatever way is appropriate. I'm not a lawyer and this isn't legal advice but to date the only contact has been about a photo. Also that there are many fanfiction sites and at least one major one that still seem to be up so it doesn't seem to be egregious on the face of it but again, not a lawyer and not legal counsel or encouraging law breaking behavior etc

All of that stuff put aside and more to the point of the game - because there are concerns about overlapping IP, if you want to submit something to Valucre's canon body of work it should be original. For example you shouldn't use Deadpool but a snarky mercenary with a healing factor is fine

If you specifically want to play in pre-existing realms rather than Valucre's body of work then you can do so in Alternative: https://www.valucre.com/forum/75-alternative/

For example there is an "InFAMOUS" and a "fire emblem" roleplay there, as well as roleplay that takes place in the Old West and 1920s Chicago

1 hour ago, supernal said:

Our particular hobby is definitely one that assumes a lot of things are going right for the people who want to be players, so whatever it was that you were dealing with am glad things are good and hope they stay that way. Welcome back!

On using characters from existing media, we posted a topic concerning copyright in the announcement board: https://www.valucre.com/topic/43142-copyright-and-you/

If you're in violation of copyright law and we get contacted about it, we'll respond in whatever way is appropriate. I'm not a lawyer and this isn't legal advice but to date the only contact has been about a photo. Also that there are many fanfiction sites and at least one major one that still seem to be up so it doesn't seem to be egregious on the face of it but again, not a lawyer and not legal counsel or encouraging law breaking behavior etc

All of that stuff put aside and more to the point of the game - because there are concerns about overlapping IP, if you want to submit something to Valucre's canon body of work it should be original. For example you shouldn't use Deadpool but a snarky mercenary with a healing factor is fine

If you specifically want to play in pre-existing realms rather than Valucre's body of work then you can do so in Alternative: https://www.valucre.com/forum/75-alternative/

For example there is an "InFAMOUS" and a "fire emblem" roleplay there, as well as roleplay that takes place in the Old West and 1920s Chicago

Thanks! That helps more than I expected actually.