Houndy Poochykins

Making a Stake - New Everrun

The Following is a semi-closed thread, only invitees by myself and notmuch_23 are to post please. but feel free to read.
The following is the sequence of events, of Dia purchasing property, equipment, and so on. 
If you've somethin' you wanna sell her, request entry, give a price. Any sales are credited to her profile.

Dia would stare at an empty plot. A literal empty plot of property. She probably couldn't appreciate the value in one of those. But she'd definitely appreciate the value of a lavish home and business. Maybe even a staff? She'd definitely need a staff here, for sure. She awaited a contact a 3rd party had set up between the two. Someone who was supposedly good with this kind of thing. She could see it now, fancy two story building. Great lighting. Outstanding sound system... She did want to build a club after all. Currently, it was just temp-a-fenced off. She sat on a bench, the cool morning keeping her from wanting to take off the coat. That and the pervs that were eye fucking her the whole walk here.

@notmuch_23

It was a relatively short trip from the Copper Bell, especially since this location is also in the entertainment district.

New Everrun had certainly grown since John Wilder summoned Thurgood Singlance here to help him build the place. In fact Thurgood had a hand in every single aspect of this city, from roads, water, sewage, and power to laws, design standards, and even zoning. One of the zoning aspects he refused to bend on is the idea of combined residential and commercial properties, and thanks to that stubbornness, apartment buildings with retail, foodservice, storefront services, and service offices on the bottom floors are quite common outside the main office section of the Commerce Sector and really contributes to making those parts of the city walkable, though  it's not available only in the Commerce Sector

Soon, the low rumble of a diesel engine would stand out among the whine of motors and repulsorlifts as Aveline Singlance drives her and her big brother to the place they're meeting this "Dia" person in her two-tone blue 1994 Ford F-350; the same one Aveline was driving when she passed through the surprise portal to Taen.

"Let's see, 1753 Wilder Boulevard," Thurgood says as the pickup rolls in front of the temporarily fenced off empty lot, "I'm really surprised nobody built anything here before."

"It's not big enough for most of the larger entertainment businesses here," Aveline says, "and too big for a lot of others."

"Still, it's otherwise prime fucking real estate," Thurgood replies, "seems like somebody would have bought it by now."

"Well, obviously somebody did," Aveline replies as she pulls into a parallel parking spot, "or else we wouldn't be here."

"I meant before now," Thurgood says as Aveline sets the parking brake and turns off the engine.

"You first," Aveline says, "I'd rather not open my door into traffic."

So Thurgood opens the passenger-front door and slides out, followed by Aveline, who locks and closes the door. Both step over to the bench set that Dia is at right now, and sit down next to her.

Dia had a cigarette in her mouth, the cherry on which, just burned out as she finished it. "Sup" she said. "You two the..." she moved her hand in a circular motion. "Building... designer... people" she asked. "Yeah that. Someone said you two would be here..." She said. "So..." She said pulling another cigarette out, lighting it up. "So, if you guys are ready..." She said as she stood and walked around. "We can talk business yeah?" she asked. "I have money comin' in soon" she yawned and stepped out the cigarette. 

@notmuch_23

22 minutes ago, Houndy Poochykins said:

"Building... designer... people" she asked. "Yeah that. Someone said you two would be here..."

"Fuck yeah," Thurgood says as he opens one end of the cardboard tube he's holding. Inside is the latest topographical survey, and maps of every piece of underground infrastructure on this block, where it's located, and how deep it is, with this lot outlined. For now he takes the topographic map out and a pen to take notes. Aveline opens a notebook she carried out here and a pen as well

"Ready," Aveline says, ready to write.

"Business license is for a nightclub," Thurgood says, "means at least one bar and a liquor license I'm sure."

"Sweet" Dia said. "Liquor license ain't an issue" she shrugged. "Alright, alright" she started and approached the fence. "From this end, so facin' the main drag" she began. "On this side, two stories, Bottom is gonna contain a bar, stage, dancefloor" she said. "plenty of power, stage lights big ass speakers and stereo, so on." She said. "Thats the first floor... of course it needs a bathroom too i guess" she shrugged. "Second Floor living space..." She said. "I'm a girl with expensive tastes, much more ladylike and delicate than you will hear from anyone" she said, as if mockingly defending herself. "Personal bathroom, large bedroom, the works" She said. "The outside, will need a Neon sign that I'll have to get made" She added. "Now over here, Detached first floor Garage. Drive through style because if what I want ends up getting parked here, no way in hell am I backing it out every time" She said. "Needs a lift, workshop all that good stuff." She added. "But the second floors need to be connected" she said, "In said 2nd floor hallway, I won't need nothin' special... 'cept maybe a couch with a view. So give it windows." She said. 

Thurgood writes notes and crude drawings on the topographical map as Aveline takes notes in the notebook. The garage will need to be fairly narrow to leave enough room for the nightclub, but fortunately for Dia, her lot does stretch to the street behind.

"Any ideas on what you want in your bedroom and bathroom?" Aveline asks, "maybe a jet tub?"

Thurgood pulls out other maps to see where he will need to route water and power from, and flipping through them, he suddenly sees why nobody else built on this lot: the 132 kv electricity distribution cable tunnel is only 18 feet below the surface! It has to route over the four-track subway tunnel where the green and yellow lines converge, and that has to route over the main trunk sewer line for this half of the city, which could not be moved because it relies on gravity.

"It's a damn good thing you don't want a tall building here," Thurgood says, "because you can't have a big foundation, or really much of a basement."

"I don't much need it too tall" She shrugged. "A decent basement would be nice though" She crossed her arms. "A jet tub sounds lovely, big fancy shower with multiple heads" She noted. "I actually have rather lavish tastes" she said. "Unlike some, I just have the means to make the money required for these tastes" she giggled. "Gimme an estimate when you find time" she said. "Oh, and uh..." She cleared her throat. "Smoking patio" she added. "Parking's not a big deal around here right? There's a parking garage nearby I think." she said.

"Sure thing" Dia said. Taking out another cigarette. "Some poor sap needs help killing some freaks far off..." She said lighting it and taking a drag. "And then I'll be helping someone with a minor errand... and then I've got some personal business to attend to..." she said. "But I'll be in touch... There's a mailbox with my name on it downtown" She added. "Well... not mname." she said. She would hand them a small card. It had only a number on it. "Just call that, and don't share that number with anyone, I'm selective about people i deal with" she said. "At least. the people i give my money to" she said.

"Thank you," Aveline says as she takes the card, "it may take a bit to get an estimate."

"I don't cheap out either," Thurgood says, "these will be people I've either worked with before, or somebody I know well has worked with before."

The Singlances then hop back into the pickup to leave, and then talk to some people.

"Ah, what a shame. It looks like the Singlance's have departed."

John had come around the corner just in time to see the giant truck that Thurgood drove pull away and fade into the distance. When he had heard that a demon-slaying demoness had made her way into his humble city, he couldn't help but want to meet her himself. So he'd had his secretary clear his schedule after lunch, and had walked from his office at City Hall to the humble plot of land in front of which Dia stood. Old instincts reared their heads; as she was an attractive woman, and he was a newly single man. But the reminder of the family he had lost tinged that excitement with sadness, and he required a moment to collect himself before continuing on.

"It's a lovely space you've picked out," he remarked before bowing with a flourish, "John Wilder, at your service."

Dia would nod, as the two left. She had plans. She wanted a business. a good one. A fancy one. But she'd need money. She'd have to wait on these two for that. But once she'd figured out what she'd be spending, maybe a small loan wouldn't be a big deal. especially considering she was more than capable of paying it off. "I need a loan" she said lighting another cigarette. "The Singlances, once they get the amount figured out..." She said. "I need somethin more stable than killin' monsters... what happens when I run out?" she asked. A Hilarious concept. Because there was no way in hell anyone could kill them fast enough to run out.

John laughed at the joke, "Quite the conundrum. I can see why you'd want a secondary source of income."

Of course there would always be monsters; both of the human and supernatural variety. But it was easy to grow weary of work that entailed a great deal of violence; even if one were to enjoy combat as much as John and Dia did. It was nice to be able to take a break; to have another project to work on. Some might say that this was the entire reason John had founded New Everrun; though in truth there was more to it than that. At the time he had thought he was going to be a family man; and he wanted to be respectable for his family. Things hadn't gone the way he had hoped, but he still loved his city. 

"Thurgood should get back to you with an estimate within a few hours; he's punctual that way. Perhaps you would do me the honor of buying you a drink while you wait?"

She could use a drink... "Yeah, sure. I could use one" she shrugged. "Where's a good place..  until I open." She asked  Soon, she'd have the best damn place in town. To dance, drink, party, see a show, pick up girls, all kinds of stuff. She'd go with him, before long she'd have a reply from the architecture experts. She was going to spare nothing after all. Wherever they went, she'd order a 4th horseman. Essentially it was 4 shots, one each of four different not so tasty but strong liquors.

"Then off we go!"

John's favorite bar in the city was a small pub a few blocks from where Dia had staked her claim, known as The Lucky Orc. A lovely little bar clad in polished hardwood and plush leather. It was far quieter than most of the bars and clubs in the city; a refuge from the occasionally overwhelming lights and sounds of the city. Behind the immaculate bar stood an orc, clad in a classic bartender's outfit of black slacks, black vest, white dress shirt, and polished black shoes. He was washing a glass when he caught site of John walking in with Dia; a huge grin spreading across his face.

"John!" the orc called in a posh accent.

"Nigel," John smiled, shaking his hand, "How's tricks?"

"Going pretty smooth," Nigel's expression saddened, "I was sorry to hear about Patricia. Maybe she'll wise up and come back one day, eh?"

John's smile turned a shade brittle, "Thank you. Is my private room available?"

"Right up the stairs!"

Nodding, John led Dia up into a room similarly furnished as the downstairs area, including its own bar. John walked behind and poured them both a glass of expensive whiskey which he clinked against her glass.

"To new ventures."