Mickey Flash

Strength of My Feelings [Kinumo]

Posted (edited)

It might've been a smidge impolite, but after finishing her cup of water, Kiki laid down on the blanket, resting her head on her crossed arms. The skies were beautiful, the clouds mighty white giants slowly rolling over the vast blue expanse, and a low wind tugged at her hair. It was a wonderful day.

"You know what, I'd like to hear about what you did on your world. How did sir Dauner A. Light earn and escape a death sentence?"

She stretched her back a little, just enough to hear a crack. She then relaxed back on the blanket, resuming the watching of the skies.

"The worst situation I've ever been in was when I herded half our neighbor's flock of sheep off the island's edge. I should mention this was a floating island, so there was no retrieving them once they fell. Ah, mom chased me around the house with a belt until nighttime when she found out, and then I slept in the barn to avoid her."

She let out a little giggle. Ah, how nice it was to recall her childhood. She had a good one.

...Then she realized something Dauner said. She rolled onto her side, looking at the man wide-eyed.

"Wait, your dad's army? Are you nobility?"

Edited by 500bees

"Oh I see, I see! You're quite the naughty girl aren't you" Dauner said jokingly. "Well I won't criticize you for it, since it seems I was the naughtier one of us two"

Unlike Kiki, reminiscing always brought into Dauner's mind a flurry of memories he'd have rather forgotten, but had forbidden himself from forgetting. Memories of his younger days were like a rock tied to his neck, constantly trying to sink him, but were also the only thread holding him from completely losing his humanity. All in all, he'd grown used to remembering them to a point where, based on facial expressions or the tone of his voice, it was impossible to see the pain entrenched in his heart. But that too, he'd gotten used to bearing.

15 hours ago, 500bees said:

"Wait, your dad's army? Are you nobility?"

Dauner then realized he'd yet to tell her much of his background. "Well, sorta. More like my adoptive dad. He was prime minister of Dreia, and having married his cousin, was cousin in law to the King, Nelos, He once Dreia's best warrior, leading the army under the title of general during the dragonian war. Even after retiring from the battlefield, he still commanded an army made up of four divisions. The one I faced was the second division, cause they messed with my master, wrecked his house, and took his life. So in response, I buried their base in flames and rubble, and a pile of bodies which could no longer prey on the innocent". Dauner then began to pout. "That still pisses me off though. Rameshi sensei was way too passive. He could have at least gone down with a fight rather than trying to resolve things peacefully. Well in the end I still feel guilty since it was me they were after"

Taking a short break to breathe in some air, Dauner used his hands to support himself as he rested backwards. "The reason they were after me in the first place was because I killed that Duke guy and wrecked his castle. Then I got rid of the NPA second division, and finally, I revealed in the court that I was the last survivor of the dragon clan. I think Nelos got freaked out the moment I mentioned dragon clan, cause he immediately lost his cool and ordered I be taken to the gallows" Dauner said laughing. "His expression was priceless. Anywho, before they could hang me a black scaled dragon swooped in and caused a fire incident, taking me as his price. Seriously, Gozen is really of stealing my spotlight. I mean, it's not like I couldn't handle a bunch of ranked amateurs. Well he did make it into a flashy show, so I guess it ended well." Suddenly his voice went up in excitement. "Did you know? The bounty on my head after that was in 8 digits! A whooping 10 million rubies, he he he! Not many get to boast of such an accomplishment you know" he said puffing his chest boastfully. Needless to say, Dauner was the kind of guy who got more excited the higher up his bounty went.

Kiki whistled. 

"Damn, you have a backstory for the books. No offense."

She got up into a sit. She tucked a strand of wild black hair behind one white ear.

"Now, obviously, I never knew your master, but it sounds like he went out on his own terms. That's something admirable. And it sorta proved him right? Had they left him alone, you wouldn't have... "buried their base in flames and rubble". It just really seems like a lot of that could have been avoided had someone decided to stop and think about their actions. Not necessarily you."

The strand of hair poked out and she tucked it again with a frustrated exhale. 

"But yeah, you definitely win the backstory contest. I'm nothing compared to that, just a peasant girl from a pastoral lifestyle, who decided to answer the call to adventure and go out into the big, wide world to seek challenges."

She laid back down on the blanket. Now the big clouds were whipped into strange shapes by the winds, and she could swear one of them resembled a great, white dragon. Or maybe a wyrm.

"But I like your story. Full of dramatic twists and turns. But tell me, how has life been for you since you arrived here, in Valucre? Surely that bounty didn't follow you here?"

Dauner chuckled nervously scratching the back of his head as Kiki commented on his story. "The bounty got taken down before I ended up here. Turns out Nelos could be a pretty cool guy after you almost kill and all. Now enough about me. You might not have lived an exhilarating adventure before becoming an adventurer, but you've been into the business for a while, right?" Dauner said, eyes locked on the werehuman with an expectant shine. "So what kinda stories you got?"

Laying forward on the blanket, Dauner rested his chin on his palms, supported at the base by his elbows, on the blanket. Slowly oscillating his legs forward and backwards, as he awaited the story.

That caught her a bit off guard, pretty much bolting into a sit.

"Oh, story? Stories?" She let out a nervous laugh as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "No, no I don't have any- I mean, I do have but they're not as..."

She trailed off a moment, thinking back to everything she'd done in the few years she'd been officially an adventurer.

"Ah, what the hell, sure! I have a couple stories, but disclaimer, they won't knock your socks off."

"So, first few months as an adventurer, I kept checking the bulletin board of the inn I stayed at. All the stuff that was posted there was mundane and usually taken by civies, but, as it often happens, my money began to run out and I had to take a job. I signed up to help an old lady find her missing doggy. I go to her house; pretty cute little home, with a really glorious, freshly dug out backyard full of sweet-smelling flowers. I snoop around a bit as she's making tea and figure out she's married, but I ask her where the husband is and she tells me he left her some weeks ago! Now, that might seem pretty dramatic for a pair of elderly humans, but her man was an elf she knew for fifty ears. So, she aged like milk while he stayed the same dashing womaniser. He wasn't very fond of her new old looks so he ran off with a younger woman. Dramatic!

"Anyways, she tells me how her dog looks and what name it's got and I spend all day searching for it around Nu Martyr, until sundown when I find it fighting with some cats in an alleyway. I bring it back to her home, but for some reason the dog won't go past the front yard gate. I push and pull and eventually get sick of it so I, uh, use some druidic magic to summon some vines and, uh, fling it over the roof into the backyard. I realize now that counts as animal cruelty, and hope the dog's had a better life since then. Anyways, I sneak around the house into the backyard and find the dog whining and digging out a flowerbed. I'm like, "no, bad poochy!" and I pick it up - and it's a damn heavy dog - and I'm about to carry it inside, when I smell something. A rancid smell. Rotten smell. I realize it's coming from the ground and I, being suspicious, use some terraforming magic to bring out whatever it was in the ground that was causing that smell and.... I vomit on the dog."

"You see, what the earth spat out was the weeks-old, bloated, burnt corpse of the dashing elf husband and what looked like the remains of some young chick. It all smelt and looked awful. And the dog wouldn't stop whining, which is what the old lady heard and came out the house being all "my Creampuff! you found my liddle baby Creampuff!" - and then she spots the bodies. And let me tell you, I did not expect her to suddenly summon heinous magical might and start casting fireballs at me. I had some experience with magical duels so I made great use of my environment and summoned a pillar of earth, which knocked the bodies straight into grandma, K.O.-ing her. As she's unconscious I run out and scream for the constables until some city guards show up and I tell them what happened and yadda yadda. By next morning, the lady is in jail, the dog is at animal rescue and I go hungry, because they arrested the old lady for double murder before she could pay me for finding her darn mangy dog. Tragic~."

"Well, that was just one story, but I think it was more than enough," She got up and stretched, feeling the comforting pop of her back and legs. "I say, we now go have ourselves a little dance party, what does thou say, noble sir Light?"

"Ha ha ha! Sounds like quite an adventure. I cannot imagine myself searching all day for a dog. I'd probably have spent all day at some tavern making a partying mess of the place, while my lackeys did all the searching" Dauner chuckled. "Besides, why didn't you collect your payment? You could have easily taken what was enough to make up your payment from her house once she was gone, and a little extra for the trouble. Not like she'd ever be needing any of it anymore, right?"

Dance! Guess it was about time to make things hectic. Like the old saying goes, 'The party's where Dauner's at!' "Well, guess I don't have much of a choice anymore." Dauner made his way to the violinist.

"Hi there! Could you by any chance play us something?" he asked.

The violinist, seeming to having understood, agreed, and began playing a wilder tune.

Spoiler

Extending his arm as he bowed, Dauner looked to Kiki. "Care for a dance, m'lady?"

Kiki looked at him with bewilderment. The thought of robbing the murderous old lady... not once crossed her mind.

"You know, you have some really out there ideas. I mean, you also seem to have had a pretty "out there" life so I get it, but man." She shook her head.

Dauner agreed to her dance invitation and the magic swordsman immediately made a request to the violinist. A fast tune began to be played and Dauner offered her a dance. She took one hand of his and placed the other on his shoulder, letting him place his on her hip.

She gave him a jolly grin.

"Let me show you how us peasant folk dance, noble sir."

OOC: Feel free to skip ahead to the late evening, when we can get to stargazing.

The day had been so much fun that Dauner hadn't realize that it was almost dark. As the people began gathering with their telescopes to watch the stars, Dauner began wondering if bringing if he should have bought one from the village. It would be nice not to be the one with a 'unique' telescope. Well it didn't really matter at this point, what he thought. That is unless he could turn back the wheels of time.

As everyone began looking to the starlit dark sky, Dauner pulled an object out of his dimensional pocket. It was a short bamboo stalk with a rather wide diameter. Inside it, was what seemed to be liquid, except, this liquid wasn't pouring out of either opening of the stalk. Dauner looked to the sky through one end of the stalk, smiling to himself.

"Here you go!" he said handing it over to Kiki. "My very own hand made telescope! Have a look!" Dauner encouraged, grinning widely.