Chris488

Writing my First Story and I want you to join!

I'm looking to write a story on this site, and hoping I can find fellow creative writers here to embark on this endeavor with me. The goal is to write fairly frequently with a minimum of at least one post per day. I'm willing to write any type of story, so for people who want to dedicate a little bit of themselves to exploration and fiction, please feel free to share ideas with me on a story you want to write.

I don't really have a character, and I'm with either adhering to Valucre's lore or creating new lore. I like all types of stories, but since this is a collaborative art, I think dramatic personal stories would be for the best. Stories that have characters with goals that require interacting with and understanding other writer's characters in order to achieve said goals. Stories like The Shawshank Redemption, Romeo & Juliet, The Darjeeling Unlimited, and The Godfather, etc. (Random, I know, but these stories focus on the characters, not the action or something you see in a Heroes Journey type of tale)
*Note, this is simply a preference, and I'm willing to adapt and expand my horizons in writing and reading.

I'm thinking a Session 0 will be needed to establish what the concept of the story is, and who are the characters that are participating. I'm not entirely familiar with how everything on this site is setup, but I believe there is a way to simply message me which should allow for more efficient communication, so anyone interested should feel free to do so. I will try to organize a loose time period where people can brainstorm ideas together, though this will not be mandatory for joining in the future, or joining even in the beginning.

Those interested in joining, please reply using this following template:

Preference: Valucre, or Different Setting?

Genre & Themes: What type of story would you be interested in writing?

Character: Just one brief conceptual sentence about who they are.

Schedule: What times during the days of the week would you be free for a Session 0?

Sounds interesting!

Preference: Valucre, unless a character knows how to time travel or something

Genre/themes: I’m more up for a dark and gritty kinda story

Character: A rough and hotheaded man from the 1820s who somehow got transported here

Schedule: L i f e i s u n p r e d i c t i b l e 

Well Valucre is a large land, and "here" perhaps requires something a little more specific. I'm afraid I know a little bit about the various landmasses and their cultures/history, but I'm willing to delve into one if you're knowledgeable/interested in one in particular. I know there is a place where I believe you can write stories in any setting on this site as long as you adhere to the guidelines & rules.

Life is understandably predictable, but it is in human nature to organize ourselves and prepare for the future. Any days of the week where you might be free for a bit to discuss in detail what sort of story you want to write? I'm going to wait a few days to let more people possibly read and decide they're interested, then I'm going to try to find a day where majority of folks are free for like an hour or so.

Alright, well my schedule is mostly open (I procrastinate too often and avoid work), so hopefully there's a day we can find that works with people. I know this isn't technically session 0, but there's no reason we can't begin with a few questions and chatting to establish foundations for a story.

Is there an aspect of Valucre you want to explore, or should we improvise and create our own setting? (which means it won't be canon on the site, but doesn't mean we can't have fun)

Well would you look at that. I have no idea how a refugee gets into the Terrenian cities, and Caspar, but I can read up on my history/lore and figure that out if that's something sounds interesting to folks? The Terrenian cities is Lagrimosa, correct?

Edited by Chris488

I'm reading the massive amount of lore regarding Lagrimosa, and while I'm enjoying it, I also realize it's a lot for newcomers. It requires a lot of dedication to remembering the various facts and histories that if I'm being honest with myself, I'm concerned I'll completely fuck up lol. While the secondary option means we have no foundations for our story, and it won't be considered canon, it will also provide us with a lot of creative freedom which is something I really enjoy.

6 minutes ago, ThomasHoward said:

As I am new I do not know any lands so unless someone can link one I’d say the second

This is what I'm using as my source of information at the moment for Lagrimosa.

I am fine with either or, but I believe in Democracy and compromise, so the goal is to decide whether we want to use the setting of Valucre, or veer a little away (or a lot) away from it.

Edited by Chris488

11 minutes ago, Chris488 said:

Alright, well my schedule is mostly open (I procrastinate too often and avoid work), so hopefully there's a day we can find that works with people. I know this isn't technically session 0, but there's no reason we can't begin with a few questions and chatting to establish foundations for a story.

Is there an aspect of Valucre you want to explore, or should we improvise and create our own setting? (which means it won't be canon on the site, but doesn't mean we can't have fun)

Well would you look at that. I have no idea how a refugee gets into the Terrenian cities, and Caspar, but I can read up on my history/lore and figure that out if that's something sounds interesting to folks? The Terrenian cities is Lagrimosa, correct?

Casper is indeed in Lagrimosa

If that's a specific route you're interested in we can brainstorm some ideas that give you Story Feels and that I can confirm might make sense for the setting. I'd say that probably like New York, the massive port city of Casper likely has a large number of legitimate and illegitimate refugees flowing into and out of its trade routes. So if you just want to go through it on the way to somewhere else you just can, likely by sailboat, and if you want to become a citizen proper of the government we can discuss what that requires but that's probably not the point of the thread

5 minutes ago, ThomasHoward said:

As I am new I do not know any lands so unless someone can link one I’d say the second

You can read more about Lagrimosa here - you can find Casper in the list of links underneath the map if that's where the interest ends up flowing: https://www.valucre.com/lore.html/lagrimosa/lagrimosa-landing-page/

1 minute ago, Chris488 said:

I'm reading the massive amount of lore regarding Lagrimosa, and while I'm enjoying it, I also realize it's a lot for newcomers. It requires a lot of dedication to remembering the various facts and histories that if I'm being honest with myself, I'm concerned I'll completely fuck up lol. While the secondary option means we have no foundations for our story, and it won't be considered canon, it will also provide us with a lot of creative freedom which is something I really enjoy.

This is what I'm using as my source of information at the moment for Lagrimosa.

Don't be concerned. You should feel encouraged to improvise and co-create details. What ends up being codified is what gets submitted at the end at which point the "relevant bits" of information get called out and I can just review those for any conflicts. It's a fairly painless process and you can tread the large amount of material as reference material to be pulled up when you need it rather than absorbed upfront

That said there's also no problem at all with just doing an Alternative roleplay for a setting that you have total and granular control of and don't have to worry about passing some process for this or that. Plenty of people use Alternative for precisely that and a lot of long lived and engaging stories have shaken out precisely like that

1 minute ago, supernal said:

Casper is indeed in Lagrimosa

If that's a specific route you're interested in we can brainstorm some ideas that give you Story Feels and that I can confirm might make sense for the setting. I'd say that probably like New York, the massive port city of Casper likely has a large number of legitimate and illegitimate refugees flowing into and out of its trade routes. So if you just want to go through it on the way to somewhere else you just can, likely by sailboat, and if you want to become a citizen proper of the government we can discuss what that requires but that's probably not the point of the thread

You can read more about Lagrimosa here - you can find Casper in the list of links underneath the map if that's where the interest ends up flowing: https://www.valucre.com/lore.html/lagrimosa/lagrimosa-landing-page/

I get that. It’s just....Reading. I’m sorry ADHD and mild autism is a huge dickhead to me. I’ll try to cram in as much when I read it, again my apologies 

1 minute ago, ThomasHoward said:

I get that. It’s just....Reading. I’m sorry ADHD and mild autism is a huge dickhead to me. I’ll try to cram in as much when I read it, again my apologies 

You don't need to apologize. You said "if someone can link one day". So I gave you a link. If you don't feel like reading it that doesn't bother me one bit, promise! But then it's just cause you don't feel like reading it, or what have you just using that as a low level example, rather than because you haven't been given a link, is all

Edited by supernal