supernal

Announcement discussion: sunset and sunrise

3 minutes ago, AthenasFire said:

Well some might not! Plus I find it funny cause people over there are still doing introductions even though most of us already know them...

That is pretty amusing.

At the end of the day what makes Valucre, Valucre isn't the website and it isn't the name.

It's the people and the stories.

As far as I am concerned PGRPG is Valucre 2.0

It's a direct upgrade with improved quality of life features and the only reason it isn't called Valucre is because the domain is already taken. That's my headcanon anyway.

The current software has a lot of limitations that create unnecessary overhead, things are being streamlined to resolve.

Unfortunately, the amount of time and effort that it would probably take to try to migrate all of the stories and the sheer volume of data, from one to the other (if even possible) isn't feesible for a website that is run entirely by volunteers.

So, archiving it and making it read only, and starting fresh with the ability to link/reference back is the most efficient option.

People who refuse to migrate would be equivalent to someone deciding to leave Val because of a cosmetic change. That's silly.

I will grant that this ‘Valucre port’, if you will, is not a mirror reflection. The why’s of this have already been established and echoed. The Valucre world will otherwise be decreased to what lands and realms and nations and states convert to Pretty Good, namely at the decision of their creators—amid whole new worlds to exist and explore!

See, to lesser or greater extent, this is already being done! Aspyn. Chesterfield. Last Chance. Oatpeak. Martial Town in the making. Mountains of black and hills of blue. Winding rivers and sprawling lakes. Elven havens and the under-cities of drow. Dwarves halls and goblin caves. Ursa, Orisia, Amalia?  Who knows, not for me to say, but all such things are or will be or can be, and these places that may exist as World Remnants can even become connected. Really, on PG as in Val, it’s your imagination that limits you more than anything else.

So, no, the world mass of Valucre may not be a stone for stone, cloud for cloud port, but the legacy lives on right beside the players and the characters, the continents and the cities, the stories and the histories, of those who take the leap. Take it with me!

I plan on trying to spread myself out a bit, and give other settings that other people create a look-see. I don't really have any current intention to produce new content, myself.

Instead of archiving the website for future posterity, can I take over the lease? I think Valucre has potential yet and room to grow from the foundations already lovingly laid down. 

I am not denigrating the staff’s decision to try new and interesting methods of Role-Play. I’ve just grown to love the bones of this old place. 

I was inactive and ineffectual enough to actually afk until Valucre's closure. 👺

Oddest thing but, I think the only account I was subbed to on Twitter for a long while was @Valucre. Ah well. Whether I wanted to admit it or not, definitely had vivid memories on here.

Only a cursory read in this thread and my peanut gallery's unwanted two cents: it's fine to have attachment to the name and the "location" of Valucre. Hell, I already see people pitching this new deal as a mere version 2.0 thereof. But I suggest you instead see this as an opportunity to begin fresh and invite new names into the writing fold, rather than any form of loss. Try bold new things, take new stabs at the game. When I have a clean desk or a fresh slate, that's when I'm at my peak productivity; new venue has the same feel. 

Don't be a jaded golem of nostalgia like me that doesn't roleplay, and don't let a domain name change halt a hobby you either enjoy or once enjoyed.  

Think I'll sink back into the recesses of the internet myself. In general: good luck to those involved in the new project!

Well, there comes one of those posts, I guess.

Been here since 2014. Although I'm not much of an active roleplayer (life/study/work complications, also timezones), I found myself comfortable to settle right here to dip my toes into forum RPing. It was (and still is!) a good opportunity to boost up my English, to communicate with others in a verbose way, to express myself. Sure, some of my earliest attempts make me cringe a bit nowadays (many "Did I wrote this?!" moments). But I prefer seeing that as the indication of me just getting more experienced and mature as a roleplay writer.

Now, regarding that migration thing. Once I've learned about this, I was shocked and saddened at first. It always hurts when the place you've had so much fun before is no more. I know what it is like. But once I've read the posts of others, I calmed myself. Now I am content that my prior experience wouldn't go without a trace and that I could continue my journey along with my characters.

Well, not without some changes, of course. I think this might be the best opportunity to revise my characters from my current perspective, rewrite and/or replace some parts of my personal lore. Heck, maybe I should switch my username! That abbreviation thing was stupid anyway.

Now excuse me - I need to dive into the guidelines and see for myself what is Pretty Good site is all about.

P.N.See you around.

Well doesn't this just suck. Lol.

I wish I had RPed more on this site. I have a few threads and a ton of ideas but none that really came to fruition, as most of my IRL time was eaten away by just that... real life. The life of a father of 2 and night shift worker. Alas... will definitely head through that Portal and meet you on the other side.

iwSETtq.jpg

Agh that fuckin’ sucks man, I was like 27 days into this website XD. Anyways you do what ya gotta do, is there any way to find the new website?

Well, finally managed to get past the account creation process for PGRP Wiki - instead of answering generic questions, it seems to be built around one having thoroughly read and understood the PGRP guide. Reminds me of the "mashed potatoes" in the character application section of another site I used to be on. (A secret password that can only be found in the rules thread, to ensure that users have read the rules in their entirety) 

Well, haven't handled Wiki software (TV Tropes notwithstanding) in like forever, so I shudder at the thought of making articles for my setting, Nocturne. Oh well, this is gonna be fun, yeah.