Posted (edited)

To start, it was an IRL friend of mine who invited me to this site after we've been looking for one for years. He lost muse in his OC and stopped RP'ing, but I persisted. With @supernal's announcement, I'm thoroughly furious. He's the owner who pays the bills and I'm the user who pays nothing, so my opinion means less the the dog crap on the bottom of a dead fly's foot- but that doesn't mean I have to act like I'm okay with it or be silent. 

1- That capcha system is garbage. GOOGLE couldn't find an answer for those questions and I had to refresh a ton of times to get the question that someone else gave me the answer for after I got it wrong.
2- That page-creation system is garbage. 
3- I'm not going to fill out a character application just to RP in the world I was RP'ing on, on a superior, more intuitive, more user-friendly site.
5- I have no faith in you, Supernal. If I waste more time in porting my area, I feel you'll just get bored again and deep-six the site just like this one.
6- I quit.

I have no muse at all to RP here, anymore. Everything's going up in smoke in a couple weeks and my only alternative option for RP'ing in this world is that god awful piece of re-ignited dumpster fire remains that only the top brass had any say in. Since nothing matters, I quit Valucre and I'm taking the other alternative of not joining that wiki.

@-Lilium- has been notified that she can do whatever she pleases with the Isles of Judgement and all related assets. My OC's are the only exception. You can turn the islands into literal hell for all I care. 
@L E V I A T H A N we're not finishing that thread. Ask Lilium if she'll moderate it for you, I guess.
@Cal sorry for all the delays in our thread, but it's not getting finished.
@Sigil Warden the above sentence means that thread in Absalom isn't happening. Would've been great to RP Lexa doing what she was actually made to do, but that's all gone pear shaped.
@Dabi when we first RP'd I had a ton of fun... but with how edgy and ridiculously powerful you made Dauner, I stopped wanting to RP with you at all. To the point where if I'm hyped for a thread and someone says Dauner's in it, I was automatically out... because all my OC's are useless compared to your godly might. What need is there for a healer when god himself can't scratch you? What need is there for a half-decent pyromancer with a sword when you can cut mountains like a nuclear bomb through gaseous butter? What need is there for a cyborg assassin when you don't need stealth at all? You can make craters with your fingertips, and if someone said you could do it with sheer willpower, I would just say "of course he can..." I'm honestly sorry I don't have anything nicer to say than "It was fun in the beginning"
@Ataraxy I feel a little sad we never finished that St. Reverie thread. It's the first time Aya has ever been truly useful- thank you for that.
@CelvestianNesy that first thread was fun. Everyone played a role. I know you and Dauner could've beat that enemy alone, but it was nice you two let me have my moment.
@Astra I'll miss you, love. Would've been nice to have Lexa try and make a big sister out of you. Emphasis on "try"
@Die Shize @Velindrel @Houndy Poochykins @amenities @Roen This is the last *hug* 

I'll poke my head in from time-to-time, but I'm not replying to any threads. I'll also be online in the discord for those in the same channel as me.

Edit: @Zashiii Dragon babies.

Edited by Priestess | Assassin

There's no Hug reaction so I'll just do this: *Hug*

There, our hugs are complete!

As for the rest of your post...well I like this quote to be honest: "Change is not the problem. Resistance to change is the problem."

That's a bit over the top level of OP you just described there! 😰

I realize that I might have made Dauner a bit stronger than the average level OC can handle, but still. What you just described is the scary type of strong Dauner could only imagine.

Sorry if I made RPing with me feel uncomfortable/awkward/boring/annoying. I do try to keep a limit on his combat capabilities nowadays. I try 😣

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Die Shize said:

There's no Hug reaction so I'll just do this: *Hug*

There, our hugs are complete!

As for the rest of your post...well I like this quote to be honest: "Change is not the problem. Resistance to change is the problem."

I don't think that quote is particularly fair, though I also think the new site isn't THAT bad. But not all change is good, and it's certainly not an objective enough concept to warrant a blanket "is not the problem." 

And migrating to a new site isnt just a change, it's a restart. If I like red and you throw my red shirt away and give me a yellow one, then tell me "just deal with it and don't be the problem to this change" then that's simply unfair. 

Priestess opinion of this "change" is fair, if rather drastic, and I don't think her resisting it is a problem onto itself so for what its worth I deny the general substance of the quote in this situation but agree with what I think you meant by it, which I assume was "give it a chance."

Edited by Ataraxy

8 hours ago, Dabi said:

That's a bit over the top level of OP you just described there! 😰

I realize that I might have made Dauner a bit stronger than the average level OC can handle, but still.

You have so quickly forgotten the time I had to do the math on your OC's boulder-lifting capabilities, to debunk the idea that he was just "a little stronger than average". 

I don't agree with Priestess's flouncing-off fuck-you speech, but I'm finding it impossible not to point out that you have a more-than-slightly skewed idea of what "average" is. 

19 minutes ago, Veloci-Rapture said:

but I'm finding it impossible not to point out that you have a more-than-slightly skewed idea of what "average" is. 

I'm working on it! 😖

8 hours ago, Ataraxy said:

I don't think that quote is particularly fair, though I also think the new site isn't THAT bad. But not all change is good, and it's certainly not an objective enough concept to warrant a blanket "is not the problem." 

And migrating to a new site isnt just a change, it's a restart. If I like red and you throw my red shirt away and give me a yellow one, then tell me "just deal with it and don't be the problem to this change" then that's simply unfair. 

Priestess opinion of this "change" is fair, if rather drastic, and I don't think her resisting it is a problem onto itself so for what its worth I deny the general substance of the quote in this situation but agree with what I think you meant by it, which I assume was "give it a chance."

It's a quote I borrowed from lean thought, in which change is pursued in order to improve. I don't think it applies to every facet of life. I think my quote is to be taken along the same vein as general statements like "Money is bad" or "Ignorance is bliss". It all depends on context. Money is good when you have it and need to buy groceries. Ignorance is not bliss when your wife is trying to talk to you. In our case, I presumed it was obvious enough that the change being talked about is the end of Valucre and the beginning of Pretty Good. And it really does boil down to two things: those who change with the site or those who resist that change. Valucre is going. Pretty Good is coming. No in between as far as I know.

'Resistance' need not be hostile, of course. Merely not joining the site means not changing with it, and not joining the site could even be for reasons that have nothing to do with roleplay. But I won't lie that I quoted what I did against Priestess' OP because, quite frankly, opinions and feelings aside there generally isn't much good practice in calling something a god-awful dumpster fire particularly when those who made that something did it for you as much as for them.

Because, see, there is hostile resistance as well, and if Priestess' post wasn't confrontational then I need to caliber my definition of the word. If you agree with her opinion then that's fine, we are all entitled to them, but expressing such opinions with a mite more tact is generally the way to go.

tl;dr: not trying to convince Priestess to join the site since she seems to have made up her mind, I'd just like to address some of the concerns she's raised here since they're misplaced. Some of this I've already said to her via discord, but I'm not a fan of people judging things based on incomplete information and wanted a more thorough response on the forum.

15 hours ago, Priestess | Assassin said:

He's the owner who pays the bills and I'm the user who pays nothing, so my opinion means less the the dog crap on the bottom of a dead fly's foot- but that doesn't mean I have to act like I'm okay with it or be silent. 

I have no muse at all to RP here, anymore. Everything's going up in smoke in a couple weeks and my only alternative option for RP'ing in this world is that god awful piece of re-ignited dumpster fire remains that only the top brass had any say in. Since nothing matters, I quit Valucre and I'm taking the other alternative of not joining that wiki.

Actually, nah: I'm not here to tell you you should or shouldn't feel certain ways. Your feelings are valid, and being upset is understandable, and it's okay to not be okay with the change. Many people aren't, many people are. You have the freedom to express your sentiments on the change (as you have), but at the same time I can go like "damn girl, I know I put a campfire on the site banner but you don't have to call the whole site a trash fire ; - ;" (we do have two light themes which may be more accessible for reading for some)

I can also say that you could've worded this sentiment more constructively. For example, you've mentioned on discord that you weren't a fan of reading long guides cause dyslexia. Because of that I'm going to look for fonts with better accessibility for an alternate theme. So, rude way to get that information across, but still useful feedback, so thanks!

1- That capcha system is garbage. GOOGLE couldn't find an answer for those questions and I had to refresh a ton of times to get the question that someone else gave me the answer for after I got it wrong.

That's because captcha system is meant to ensure people who registered to the wiki had read (at least) the very first help page of the site -- What is Pretty Good Roleplay?

2- That page-creation system is garbage. 

Also, we don't actually require people to use the wiki. We have a scratchpad board for those who'd prefer to host character sheets and such on the forum, and people are allowed to link to content platforms like GDocs or Notions This is another thing that is mentioned in the second guide - Getting Started on PGRP.

I don't think it's fair to judge a site when you haven't read the getting-started user guides, at the very least 🤷‍♀️

3- I'm not going to fill out a character application just to RP in the world I was RP'ing on, on a superior, more intuitive, more user-friendly site.

PGRP, as a whole, does not require character sheets.

You only need a character sheet if you want to engage in a game that requires character sheets. In the same way you would've likely banned powerplaying Dauner from IOJ, other people can specify what kind of characters they want in their settings. It's a much better alternative than the board leader system where godmodders could just come and attempt to wreck cities at a whim, and board leaders would have to engage them in-character. Setting managers no longer have to tolerate nonsense like that -- which, I'm sure you'd agree, is a good thing!

Players also have the option to use any setting as a backdrop for roleplay - setting managers are just not obligated to consider every thread canon.

5- I have no faith in you, Supernal. If I waste more time in porting my area, I feel you'll just get bored again and deep-six the site just like this one.

6- I quit.

Valid decision, but -- we would've willingly given you a tl;dr or answered any questions you had about porting your area over... if you had asked with the intent to understand how to navigate the site, and not to immediately trash it based on first impressions. I've been working closely with a couple other Valucre members to help them port over their Val settings, and would've gladly done the same with you.

Regardless - as I've also said on discord - sorry you feel this way, and if you ever find the patience to give PGRP a proper look, here's hoping you'll find it's actually an improvement from Valucre in so many ways! I'd be happy to elaborate how we've built in systems that discourage godmodding and toxic fixations on power/magic/combat.

And to anyone else reading this and worrying about how Awful the new site could possibly be -- I suggest taking a look for yourself before judging! If you like it, come join us! If not - then that's fine, and it's okay to mourn the old site and move on to other places - but be assured that you'll still be able revisit your old content in the archive. ❤️ 

sorta feels like you didn't really try 😕

I dunno. Everyone's being really nice and respecting your post but I'm inherently toxic, so maybe I can match your energy. Obviously do what you want, feel what you want, express yourself how you want, etc.

Insults, though? lmao, be better. This is childish. The fact that the CAPTCHA was tricky proves that you didn't actually read the guides, right? Instead of complaining shouldn't you try and...read the guide? If you had, you'd know that the wiki is optional. Page creation there is different, so just use the forums? Why would you just trash on the new site? I spent ten minutes looking for the search button on PGRP, yet somehow I was able to go on with my day without crying. 

I honestly would have just moved on but you literally insulted @Dabi in the midst of your tantrum and that's just rude. If you have a problem with someone's writing I can't imagine why you wouldn't offer constructive criticism. I had a character who was winning a fight against a literal god but @Phoebe contacted me and we all wrote a more plausible thread together. It's as easy as that. If you want people to grow you've gotta help out. This is really disappointing, since I enjoyed writing with you. Omar and Lexa had interesting interactions, and suddenly I need to reevaluate my judge of character. Rip

All in all, I'm glad you voiced your thoughts. Being unhappy about the transition is reasonable and I can sympathize. I don't want anyone to pretend to be happy about Valucre going read-only. People should be sad and should feel comfortable saying so. Still, in the same way Supernal didn't say: "fuck yall, I'm out" you could have been better. Your opinion isn't worthless. It actually carries weight.

23 hours ago, Priestess | Assassin said:

6- I quit.

bye. What a way to see yourself out.